• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

ZeroAKA

Just redeemed my $10 credit on PSN. I have enough credits to get Soul Sacrifice at launch now, assuming that Sony does the 10% digital discount like they usually do.

kiyomi

PSY・S;47966187 said:
Why is everyone getting $10?

US PSN accounts started receiving $10, out of the blue. Their wording suggests that it's going to people who've spent a reasonable amount of money on PSN through that account but I don't think there's been any concrete info as to who or why they're getting it.

I should check mine, really..

Shahed

Very nice. Enjoy it.

Hype is slowly starting to build for the PS4 announcement. What are we realistically expecting Vita-wise? If they start to announce details then I hope we see some news on how we can expect to see the Vita integrate with the PS4, a push for remote play being high on the priority list.

Oh I will! Just need to quickly tie off my US account first.

I think we will see Vita stuff, but not a great deal. Maybe a game or two, but more in line with PS4 integration. 9 hours to go...

kiyomi

Dang it, I've bought shitloads of stuff on PSN. I want free money for EU too!

Seems like one of the tradeoffs for having generally good SCEE sales and PS+ content is that we don't get quite the same limited-time offers. Don't think we got the "spend $100, get $20 back", we haven't had the referral email for this territory, and we might not get free money, either! We do alright, though. :)

zulux21

Dang it, I've bought shitloads of stuff on PSN. I want free money for EU too!

you got red dead and batman AC for free* don't be greedy :p

* free pending the approval of a PS+ account. Note while a ps+ account is a free upgrade a $50 bribe on average is needed in order to get a sony representative to upgrade your account for a year.

brentech

Just played some yesterday. Trying to launch FFTactics:War of Lions and getting an error this morning.

"an error has occurred.
C2-10531-0"

Did a reset, no go. Should probably try safe mode restore.

Derrick01

Banned
Is Valkyria Chronicles 2 any good since it was downgraded to a PSP game? I never really played the first one but I got a $10 code from Sony and I don't really have anything else to buy.

ZeroAKA

if that is coming i see little reason to think meruru won't be right behind it. I have to assume they were able to work out a deal with nisA and get their localization.

it's good news though as I wouldn't mind replaying it on the vita with some new features.
Meruru and Toukiden in the west would be nice.

zulux21

Is Valkyria Chronicles 2 any good since it was downgraded to a PSP game? I never really played the first one but I got a $10 code from Sony and I don't really have anything else to buy.

while VC2 overall is a pretty good game, given what I know about you you will no doubt hate it.

Meruru and Toukiden in the west would be nice.

yup, I expect both of those to come now, the question will be if they are going to be digital only releases or not.

When was the last few big, non indie game announced for vita?

Vita is getting a lot of indie announcements and games lately, which is welcome, but no big, system selling games.

Massa

Have you checked the sale they'll be having next week?

VC2 is a good game, not as good as VC1. You should definitely play VC1 first though.

Wait... what?

That arcade is out already btw. I enjoyed the Wipeout 2D game, reminded me of Supersprint.

When was the last few big, non indie game announced for vita?

Vita is getting a lot of indie announcements and games lately, which is welcome, but no big, system selling games.

If you've been following this thread people that have been reliable in the past hinted that the Vita is getting a Rainbow 6 game as well as a Batman Arkham spin-off. In any case, we'll probably see announcements of new games either today, their Destination Playstation event or... well, later.

brentech

Just played some yesterday. Trying to launch FFTactics:War of Lions and getting an error this morning.

"an error has occurred.
C2-10531-0"

Did a reset, no go. Should probably try safe mode restore.
Damn. Did 'Restore Database' and the game was gone. Checked the PSP saved files and apparently the save was corrupt. Weirs that it deleted the game because of that though.
Was only like 5 hours in, that sucks. First time I've played the game though, so I guess I'll chalk it down to being a long tutorial =/

ZeroAKA

Looking forward to that - never played an Atelier game before but for some reason I'm pumped to try it on Vita. By the way Zero I still need to do that referral thing, when I do it, will you be able to tell whether it's worked straight away?
It'll be my first Atelier game too, but I've always been interested in the series.

I won't be able to tell if the referral worked right away. All of my referrals from 1/29 and later are still listed as "success-pending." :/

So I got the 10$ credit and I would like to ask if ridge racer vita is worth it at $2.49? What about Plants vs Zombies for vita at $0.49?

zulux21

It's a turn based SRPG isn't it? I remember playing the demo for 1 a long time ago. I can get into those if they're good enough.

I personally would consider it wrong to call valkyria chronicles just a turn based SRPG. You really need to have third person shooter and real time movement in there somewhere as those aren't mechanics normally tied to SRPGs.

In general you seem to like the type that would hate anime cliches, and VC2 has a number of those... they aren't as bad as some of the reviews make them out to be, but if you are bothered by such things no doubt things will annoy you.

Also the demo to 1 in general isn't very good... it's a poor representation of the final game. (aka the demo to vc1 didn't impress me at all, but VC1 overall is one of my favorite games this gen) that being said, VC2 feels decently different from one. The combat and mechanics are still solid, but the smaller maps broken into parts really made things feel and work quite a bit different. The scouts were a huge part of your plan in VC one because they had the movement to cover the map. In 2 movement barely matters so the slow but powerful types dominate. It's not bad but it felt like I had a lot less flexibility in my plans, and that being sneaky and picking off people slowly wasn't really a good option compared to just brute force.

but yeah.. you can't forget the main characters laugh in 2..... there are times in the game you will hear that laugh 10 times in a minute as it's the generic he is talking tag they have... i know people who have stopped playing the game because the laugh drove them mad @_@

It'll be my first Atelier game too, but I've always been interested in the series.

I won't be able to tell if the referral worked right away. All of my referrals from 1/29 and later are still listed as "success-pending." :/

totori is way better about it than rorona was, but if you dislike time constraints do make sure to look into that before buying the game as i know a number of people who can't stand the atelier games due to the time constraints .

zulux21

What was the point in porting only the second game of the trilogy? Or are they like Final Fantasy games and not connected.

the stories are connected, the main character from the first game is in the second game, and totori is in meruru, but quite frankly rorona's overall story was completely throw away, the only decent part about it was the character interactions which only play a very very very very minor role in the second game basically as easter eggs which you can still for the most part understand without having played the first game.

if you want I can summorize the entire story of rorona real quick

Master can't be bothered pay bills and sticks it to Rorona her apprentice to save the shop. You have to do tasks to save the shop and in the end you save the shop.
yeah... that's the story to rorona, which that story doesn't really tie to totori at all.

edit: it should be noted that throw away doesn't mean that it wasn't enjoyable. I enjoyed my time with the character interactions stuff, it's just that the story doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of the trilogy.

kiyomi

What was the point in porting only the second game of the trilogy? Or are they like Final Fantasy games and not connected.

I've seen it speculated that Totori is perhaps the most welcoming to newcomers, as well. Hoping that Totori Plus sees enough of a market out west to see Meruru Plus come over here, too.

zulux21

I've seen it speculated that Totori is perhaps the most welcoming to newcomers, as well. Hoping that Totori Plus sees enough of a market out west to see Meruru Plus come over here, too.

If totori plus comes over then i figure meruru plus will come... the localization is already completely done it just has to be applied to the vita version.

Totori is a lot more flexible than Rorona. Rorona you had to deal with 3 month chunks of time constrictions, where if you overlooked something and saved you would potentially have to restart the game.

Totori if I recall right actually only has two time checkpoints... You don't have to do a certain exact thing to do it, but a collection of random things that you will likely do just by exploring and making stuff. That doesn't mean that time isn't important, it still is, but the likelyhood of you failing the game because you overlooked one thing is pretty much gone so you are more free to do what you want.

that all being said save often, because the combat can be painful at times :p

is one of sony's studios making the dangan ronpa anime

if so, makes sense dangan ronpa 3 is vita

i am reading animation work is being done by Lerche, which I don't believe is tied to sony

Derrick01

Banned
I personally would consider it wrong to call valkyria chronicles just a turn based SRPG. You really need to have third person shooter and real time movement in there somewhere as those aren't mechanics normally tied to SRPGs.

In general you seem to like the type that would hate anime cliches, and VC2 has a number of those... they aren't as bad as some of the reviews make them out to be, but if you are bothered by such things no doubt things will annoy you.

Also the demo to 1 in general isn't very good... it's a poor representation of the final game. (aka the demo to vc1 didn't impress me at all, but VC1 overall is one of my favorite games this gen) that being said, VC2 feels decently different from one. The combat and mechanics are still solid, but the smaller maps broken into parts really made things feel and work quite a bit different. The scouts were a huge part of your plan in VC one because they had the movement to cover the map. In 2 movement barely matters so the slow but powerful types dominate. It's not bad but it felt like I had a lot less flexibility in my plans, and that being sneaky and picking off people slowly wasn't really a good option compared to just brute force.

but yeah.. you can't forget the main characters laugh in 2..... there are times in the game you will hear that laugh 10 times in a minute as it's the generic he is talking tag they have... i know people who have stopped playing the game because the laugh drove them mad @_@

So 1 is better then. Is there a sale coming up for that like what Massa hinted at? I assume he didn't mean 2 since that was just reduced to $10, it'd be strange to have a sale right after that. But I just looked and 1 isn't even on the PS store as a download.

zulux21

So 1 is better then. Is there a sale coming up for that like what Massa hinted at? I assume he didn't mean 2 since that was just reduced to $10, it'd be strange to have a sale right after that. But I just looked and 1 isn't even on the PS store as a download.

It really depends. One for me has the better story and more interesting maps.
Two has a lot more customization with your classes, and is much easier to play in short bursts.

as for 1 as far as I know it's a physical only game.

kiyomi

If totori plus comes over then i figure meruru plus will come... the localization is already completely done it just has to be applied to the vita version.

Totori is a lot more flexible than Rorona. Rorona you had to deal with 3 month chunks of time constrictions, where if you overlooked something and saved you would potentially have to restart the game.

Totori if I recall right actually only has two time checkpoints... You don't have to do a certain exact thing to do it, but a collection of random things that you will likely do just by exploring and making stuff. That doesn't mean that time isn't important, it still is, but the likelyhood of you failing the game because you overlooked one thing is pretty much gone so you are more free to do what you want.

that all being said save often, because the combat can be painful at times :p

I see, thank you. Have you written up your Persona 4 Golden thing yet?

Top Bottom