• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | March 2013 | Carving an Independent niche

Redhood

Anyone here play MGS (PSX) on their vita? Tried assigning R2+L2 to the bottom corners but weapons/items are really awkward to scroll through. Any good schemes I could have?

PS: I finally hit $200 this month...wow...I need help!!

I turn the backtouch off! Set the inventory buttont [R2 & L2] to shoulder buttons. and L1 & R1 to front touch screen. Works like a charm. On PSP I had the same setting. But L1 & R1 were set on analogue nub. They can also be set on the right stick since that is not used.

Jamix012

1) Persona 3 actually had an anime series that ended about a year and a half before Persona 3 Portable came out.
4) P4G launched before P4A did in Japan. It didn't benefit from good word of mouth on a game that hadn't been released on consoles yet.

1) Spin-off anime with some of the characters set years later non-canon won't really have the same effect as an anime about the game. Or is there another anime I'm not aware of? Either way it doesn't really matter because my point still stands that Persona 4 is a bigger brand than Persona 3.
2) True, it came out in arcades prior though and any hype or desire people had for P4A would've helped P4G anyway. I'm not really saying this was a deciding factor at all, just a very minor contributor.

Riddy

I turn the backtouch off! Set the inventory buttont [R2 & L2] to shoulder buttons. and L1 & R1 to front touch screen. Works like a charm. On PSP I had the same setting. But L1 & R1 were set on analogue nub. They can also be set on the right stick since that is not used.

Perfect! Thank you!

zulux21

Nice, can't wait for the new thread. I still don't understand why Namco Bandai isn't localizing the Vita version when they're already working on the PS3 version.

Given koei is involved with the game I am half expecting the vita version to just appear on the PSN with the ps3 version when the game launches lol.

zulux21

Here's hoping - the game looks like it runs extremely well.

It really makes no sense. All they have to do is recycle the PS3 localization.

you never know how a contract is worded. It's quite possible they only secured rights from the start for a world wide ps3 release of the game, and that adding vita publishing rights could double the cost of the localization. A localization isn't quite as simple as just changing the text from japanese to english, lots of red tape everywhere :/ (but boy do I wish it was sometimes.)

Famassu

if you like Atlus games then you need to get that other handheld (not Vita),I highly doubt that Vita will get any Atlus developed games again.
Isn't Persona 4 Golden, like, the best selling Persona game EVER (at least in Japan)? I'd think that'd encourage more Vita development, but even Atlus was surprised by P4G's success, so they probably didn't have much in the works and even if they've started a new Vita project after P4G it will take a while to be developed.

Isn't Persona 4 Golden, like, the best selling Persona game EVER (at least in Japan)? I'd think that'd encourage more Vita development, but even Atlus was surprised by P4G's success, so they probably didn't have much in the works and even if they've started a new Vita project after P4G it will take a while to be developed.
They could start by making their 3ds title into multiplatform release like zero escape

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I ended up buying Ninja Gaiden 2. What a fun game (even though it's the third time I'm playing it). The framerate at some points is WOO but it's always playable. Looks pretty! Port more next gen games pls.

So Machinarium is gorgeous on the Vita, and it go me thinking that we need more games with prerendered backgrounds on the vita. We know the vita will never match console counterparts in the graphics department but prerendered backgrounds could certainly mask the difference and deliver a beautiful looking game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Disgaea 3's item world opens after: Chapter 2's Mission 2: Heart Vault. For people that were wondering. Just got it, time to get my grind on before I hammer through the main story.

I really wish Unit 13 had the option to just play custom missions like in SOCOM 4. Let me pick a map, an objective, etc. in any combination I want.

I hate being stuck with these predetermined missions. Especially when I have to play levels I don't enjoy to unlock some more I might.

QP3

Wow, I had been pronouncing it Dis-Jee-AH.... :l

Watching a review on it now. Sounds like they are hard games to break into for players new to the series?

TheSeks

Watching a review on it now. Sounds like they are hard games to break into for players new to the series?

The systems are the only "hard" part. There's so many different things to use/learn to maximize your damage/numbers. If you don't care about that it's still relatively easy to go through the game without using those systems.

In fact "rent" D3 right now that it's up on the store. Don't download that and buy Disgaea 1 (better cast, IMO) and go through that without trophies. If you like that, play D2/3/4/"D2" AKA: D1.2: Electric Boogaloo...

ZeroAKA

Wow, I had been pronouncing it Dis-Jee-AH.... :l

You have to start somewhere, right? Like others have said, you don't have to use all the systems. You can get through the game and even a lot of the post-game content just by focusing on SRPG basics such as equipment and skills.

Sol1dus

You have to start somewhere, right? Like others have said, you don't have to use all the systems. You can get through the game and even a lot of the post-game content just by focusing on SRPG basics such as equipment and skills.

So what I didnt get is how they told me not to switch weapons. Is that once I start grinding in item world or whatever?

ZeroAKA

So what I didnt get is how they told me not to switch weapons. Is that once I start grinding in item world or whatever?
You get enough item drops in the game that you don't need to worry about going in the item world at all before post-game. But yeah, item world is great for grinding and for leveling up higher-ranked weapons.

Wait so I can still play this game without worrying about all the complicated stuff and just play it more like a normal SRPG? :O

I bought it months ago but stopped playing because it felt a bit heavy for me. :(

zulux21

The systems are the only "hard" part. There's so many different things to use/learn to maximize your damage/numbers. If you don't care about that it's still relatively easy to go through the game without using those systems.

In fact "rent" D3 right now that it's up on the store. Don't download that and buy Disgaea 1 (better cast, IMO) and go through that without trophies. If you like that, play D2/3/4/"D2" AKA: D1.2: Electric Boogaloo...

Disgaea 1 has the more fun cast, but the game mechanics are quite meh compared to the rest of the series.... I started with 2 and was never able to go back and enjoy 1... stupid lack of mystery gates making my item world all boring.

TheSeks

No. Just buy a weapon and equip it through the equip menu. You can do that at the Rosenqueen item stores or getting them in drops/chests in story/side battles or the item world.

Hahahahaha. Blue Prism Indigo homeroom teacher suddenly changed with a zombie wearing the helmet of the Red Prism Ranger. "Here to take charge of you guys, I'm the original Prism Red!" :lol

Disgaea 1 has the more fun cast, but the game mechanics are quite meh compared to the rest of the series.... I started with 2 and was never able to go back and enjoy 1... stupid lack of mystery gates making my item world all boring.

You haven't lived until you reach a floor of the item world that is IMPOSSIBLE to complete. Literally IMPOSSIBLE because the various randomity of the item world in D1 screwed you over. They tweaked that with Dis2 on.

So Machinarium is gorgeous on the Vita, and it go me thinking that we need more games with prerendered backgrounds on the vita. We know the vita will never match console counterparts in the graphics department but prerendered backgrounds could certainly mask the difference and deliver a beautiful looking game.

Agreed - in fact i could use more prerendered bg games in general... And i have a feeling this will be the style of "retro" resurgance from psx days. Set cameras and pr bgs. Etc.

Jamix012

No it's not. The original P4 outsold it.

ZeroAKA

Wait so I can still play this game without worrying about all the complicated stuff and just play it more like a normal SRPG? :O

I bought it months ago but stopped playing because it felt a bit heavy for me. :(
Yes, but you should slowly ease yourself into some of the deeper game mechanics. The ridiculously high numbers are part of Disgaea's charm!

Did I read it right that PlayStation Mobile purchases don't count toward the $50?
One of the bloggers on the PS Blog commented that PSM purchases don't count.

zulux21

Did I read it right that PlayStation Mobile purchases don't count toward the $50?

it was at least commented in a blog post about it, it's really stupid if true. It would only cement how stupid having the PSM be a separate store is.

if all you want to do is get through the story, then you can easily just play it like a normal srpg, spend a little time in item world to power yourself up, and enjoy the game. The story is on such a low power curve compared to the rest of the game that you don't even remotely need to understand more than high stats = more murder power.

now if you ever get hooked into the game and want to take on the optional stuff... then you will have to learn, as while it might be possible to clear everything without knowing how stuff like residents or throwing works, it likely would be a much longer grind.

Carl

it was at least commented in a blog post about it, it's really stupid if true. It would only cement how stupid having the PSM be a separate store is.

But films are on a separate tab in the Vita store and they still count. Doesn't make any sense. The money all comes from the same pot, even for PSM, so i see no reason why it shouldn't count. Sony being Sony, i guess.

I think you could fight it.
The promo says that it's based on the amount of money that you spend from your PSN wallet, if I recall correctly.
When you purchase PSM games, funds come out of the wallet, same as PSN.

GET $10 FOR EVERY $50 SPENT!
(For US, CANADA and MEXICO)

How would you like to fill your Sony Entertainment Network Wallet just by purchasing great PlayStation®Store stuff you wanted anyway?

For Every $50 Spent using your SEN Wallet through April 1st 2013, you’ll receive $10 back by April 12 2013 to spend on games, movies, TV shows, music and anything else that accepts SEN Wallet funds*! Grab a couple free Minis or put your Bonus credit** toward a new release on your wish list. Jump on this limited-time offer by making a purchase with your SEN Wallet today!

Terms & Conditions US, CANADA, MEXICO:

SEN Wallet Top Up is available to legal U.S., Canadian and Mexican residents with a Sony Entertainment Network (“SEN”) account who are 18 or older and who have spent $50.00 or more using the SEN Wallet between February 26 2013 and April 1 2013. Third party application purchases are excluded.

The promotion code ("Code") is good for one qualifying Sony Entertainment Network account to redeem the SEN wallet Top Up via the PlayStation®Store or Sony Entertainment Network services. Code expires May 12, 2013. Once Code is redeemed, however, the SEN Wallet Top Up can be used even after Code expiration. Code is not redeemable for cash, cannot be returned for cash or credit, may not be used for any other purpose and will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or damaged. You will receive the redemption Code by April 12, 2013 via XMB message on PS3™ or the email account used to set up your Sony Entertainment Network Sign-in ID.

Use of the Sony Entertainment Network is subject to the Sony Entertainment Network Terms of Service and User Agreement and applicable privacy policy, www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/tosua. Children under 18 must have parental consent to establish a Sony Entertainment Network Account and may not be able to access certain content or services. Broadband service required for download; user responsible for associated fees. Sony Entertainment Network features and offerings may change without notice. For assistance, go to us.support.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com or contact Consumer Services at 855.999.SONY (7669).

Every $50 Spent using your SEN Wallet*

*Qualifying purchases that use the SEN Wallet only. Purchases made through third party applications excluded.

So unless they disqualified the PSM games somewhere (which you could argue was not stated/made known through the promo rules), PSM games count, same as anything else including PS+, PSN, PS3, PSP, PSOne, Movies, Music, Avatars, Themes, etc.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Found 2 Best Buy gift cards I forgot I had.
I guess I will pick up a PSN card tomorrow and grab EDF for the extra $10 back.

TheSeks

Wait, what purpose does throwing have besides combining monsters for better/faster EXP gain if you are sure you can defeat them? I know "residents"/innocents are subdued in the item world to gain levels in certain stats and are able to be transferred to another item so item worlding ABC Gums to subdue their innocents seems to be a smart/not-exactly-cheap-but-"cheap" way of leveling innocents up for items.

VanWinkle

Last day of the thread, folks. We did good. A lot of games were bought. I spent $130 on the PS Store. A part of me thinks I should spend $20 more to get an extra $10, but another part of me thinks how bad it would stink if I had calculated it wrong and spent a little UNDER $150 lol.

Paskil

Last day of the thread, folks. We did good. A lot of games were bought. I spent $130 on the PS Store. A part of me thinks I should spend $20 more to get an extra $10, but another part of me thinks how bad it would stink if I had calculated it wrong and spent a little UNDER $150 lol.

Yay, we all single-handedly brought the world economy out of recession and put Sony firmly in the black. I know I spent enough.

zulux21

Wait, what purpose does throwing have besides combining monsters for better/faster EXP gain if you are sure you can defeat them? I know "residents"/innocents are subdued in the item world to gain levels in certain stats and are able to be transferred to another item so item worlding ABC Gums to subdue their innocents seems to be a smart/not-exactly-cheap-but-"cheap" way of leveling innocents up for items.

yeah your positioning, which in item world can really speed you along when you are in the beginning of an item... instead of taking the time to kill stuff you just zoom along and it can really speed things up.

Top Bottom