• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | May 2013 | Lovecraftian Wasteland

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still need to get the 200 PSR boosted but the person I was boosting with isn't on. :(

Cool, I'll invite ya to a team lobby once I hit 200 PSR in a few more matches.

Edit: Invite sent. You and roe have to join team blue! (tap right or left on your name to pick a team!)
Edit2: You two need to swap team order once in a while so Roe Bear gets the no I in team trophy.

What exactly are we boosting now? I have all the [Player Match] trophies. o_O
Roe needs the 10 team wins trophy?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Finally really playing Rayman Origins.
This is a really good game.

We really need to just accept the fact that Vita isn't even near what Sony sold it as. PSP was closer to PS2 than Vita is to PS3, and Vita even seems behind PS2 in some areas (like geometry).

The best looking games on Vita (like Uncharted) used many tricks like pre-rendered backdrops and such to mask the glaring deficits. And when games like AC3 try to push the limits, it's at the expense of IQ and (more importantly) frame rate.

So let's quit the pretense of being surprised when these awful direct-feed screens appear.

Nah, Vita can do better than FFA and Jak and Daxter.
They're just bad ports.

Nah, Vita can do better than FFA and Jak and Daxter.
They're just bad ports.
That's my point - that it's not powerful enough for these ports to be the cakewalks they should be. Even the best ports like MGS2/3 and P4G had to make major sacrifices (whether in framerate or native resolution) to run on Vita.

Only fighting games and sports games seem to get perfect ports, probably because there are hardly any character models or complex environments to render.

I want more Dreamcast ports, personally. Vita could do those justice in its sleep.

EMT0

Banned
Guess the Jak and Daxter trilogy getting ported is going to be one of those things we don't about, huh VitaGAF?

Noi

what's the fastest way to boost PSR?

pick Tager instead of Ragna and do 360 grabs. I'm using Carl, so it only takes 2-3 to take me out.

Of course, picking Tager means you have to start back from 0 since PSR isn't shared between characters, but you'll get it quicker!

Edit: Or you could stick it out with Ragna on Stylish~

RoeBear

Win. If you're fighting randoms might want to try stylish mode if you're not too familiar with the game. You have to stick with the same character as for each win you'll only get like 4-8 PSR. Tager can also be easy mode with his grabs doing half of most characters life.

Beaten...

CrovaxPSO

Could someone post the tweaks to the graphical settings for the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus? Tried searching for what seemed to be the optimal values but no luck. Just picked the game up at Target for $9.99, couldn't say no at that price.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about this the other day. Capcom put all of its DC ports on PSP, but the Vita would've been a better fit for a lot of them. :(

Aren't things like Powerstone Collection available on the store? Man, that would be a nostalgia bomb.

I really wish they could make the PS2 Classics available on Vita. Imagine having stuff like God Hand, Odin Sphere and Deus Ex on the move. Would add to the already growing library and breath more life into the system for sure.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Beat higher PSR players. If you are both even you should get 3-5 PSR every win. Takes an hour as max to get this.

Of course, I haven't gotten it myself yet. I need to get someone to help me jump it quickly.

Could someone post the tweaks to the graphical settings for the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus? Tried searching for what seemed to be the optimal values but no luck. Just picked the game up at Target for $9.99, couldn't say no at that price.
gamma 1.1
brightness 0.0
contrast 1.1

VanWinkle

That's my point - that it's not powerful enough for these ports to be the cakewalks they should be. Even the best ports like MGS2/3 and P4G had to make major sacrifices (whether in framerate or native resolution) to run on Vita.

Only fighting games and sports games seem to get perfect ports, probably because there are hardly any character models or complex environments to render.

I want more Dreamcast ports, personally. Vita could do those justice in its sleep.

Vita has a very different architecture than PS3, and even more different than PS2. Developers had to work with a very exotic architecture and often did some very odd things to get things done well on PS2. Jak & Daxter especially was VERY uniquely made for PS2.

For this reason, ports don't always work well. You find that, a lot of the time, PS3 ports often look better and are even more often native res than the PS2 ports we've gotten. In terms of power, I'd put Vita between PS2 and PS3, with a nudge further towards the PS3 side. Similarly, I'd put PSP between PS1 and PS2 with a nudge further towards PS2.

There were PSP games that looked as good as some PS2 games, and if you look at Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway, they easily look as good as some PS3 games.

Guess the Jak and Daxter trilogy getting ported is going to be one of those things we don't about, huh VitaGAF?

Too early to say. All we know right now is that it's sub-native res. It was also sub-native res on PS3.

Thanks for the help, Noi, Roe.

I'll boost more ranked matches with you some other time if you want, Noi... I'm falling asleep though, so I gotta call it quits. :)

Noi

Thanks for the help, Noi, Roe.

I'll boost more ranked matches with you some other time if you want, Noi... I'm falling asleep though, so I gotta call it quits. :)

I STILL don't have the 100 fights despite all that, so yes, we shall.
KuGsj.gif

Takao

Banned
Based on your gaming tastes I get the feeling you'd be a lot happier posting in the 3DS thread than you are here. Just imo.

I've owned a 3DS for just under two years now. My issue with that platform has to do with the terribly designed hardware, and Nintendo's fear of doing anything new in terms of software.

Edgeward

Started Gravity Rush today. Maybe I shouldn't start off trying to do the challenges ASAP, it just makes me frustrated with how good you have to be for gold. At least I was able get silver in most of them, and this was before even learning about gravity slide! Oh well, it was good training for movement. And some xp.

Tomodachi

Started Gravity Rush today. Maybe I shouldn't start off trying to do the challenges ASAP, it just makes me frustrated with how good you have to be for gold. At least I was able get silver in most of them, and this was before even learning about gravity slide! Oh well, it was good training for movement. And some xp.

You should at least level up some skills before going for the gold on those challenges. The game gets much more satisfying to control too, at first it can be frustrating. That's probably why many think this game has terrible controls, in my opinion they're awesome but you need to master them and to level up Kat.

wilflare

another P4G question
do the cutscenes in school where you decide to Spend Time or Decide Later with an ally matter?

I am following a guide... but for some reason, I'm not getting the Lvl up in S.Link I should

Tomodachi

another P4G question
do the cutscenes in school where you decide to Spend Time or Decide Later with an ally matter?

I am following a guide... but for some reason, I'm not getting the Lvl up in S.Link I should

You mean when they ask you if ou want to go out with them during lunch break? That happens the first day your s.link is ready to level up with that character (if he's a school mate), the only difference between spend time and decide later is that if you choose the former you automatically go out with them after school. If you select decide later you can do some stuff (that doesn't make the day pass) and then go back to school and go out with them.

wilflare

You mean when they ask you if ou want to go out with them during lunch break? That happens the first day your s.link is ready to level up with that character (if he's a school mate), the only difference between spend time and decide later is that if you choose the former you automatically go out with them after school. If you select decide later you can do some stuff (that doesn't make the day pass) and then go back to school and go out with them.

yeap. cause that's the only thing I did differently from the guide.
I chose to Decide Later.

what happened after that Decide Later was.
on the same day, I got a Rank up with him.
now I'm trying to Rank up from Lv5 to Lv6... but I only get the Spend Time option :/

jwk94

Congratz on getting the Vita's best title (imo). For those challenges, you'll want to level up a little bit so that they're easier. I remember I golded them as I was going through the campaign and nearly threw my Vita across the room half of the time. Those score attacks are incredibly hard smh.

Sane_Man

I traded my iPad 2 and a couple of 3DS games for a Vita (second hand but I can't see any noticeable scratches or anything), Virtue's Last Reward, Persona 4, Everybody's Golf, a 16gb memory card and a year's Playstation Plus. Not bad to say I haven't used my iPad for like a year.

I've also just bought Guacamole, Sound Shapes, Mutant Blobs Attack, as well as getting Uncharted, Sine Mora and Gravity Rush free with PS+. Now just waiting for it all to download. Excite!

A bit annoyed I couldn't find DJMax Technika Tune to download.

Jennipeg

Hi everone,

I've been lurking for a little while and this is my first post here. I got my Vita in Feb, and i'm a little bit in love with it. I'm actually playing it more than my PS3 at the moment. I noticed a few pages back that people were saying Tearaway didn't look good, Is there a reason for that? Cause I've watched gameplay videos and it looks good to me, am I missing something?

Pachimari

Hmm I really want Jak & Daxter on a portable but I'm thinking of going with the PS3 version instead. Sub-res is just hard to swallow.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hi everone,

I've been lurking for a little while and this is my first post here. I got my Vita in Feb, and i'm a little bit in love with it. I'm actually playing it more than my PS3 at the moment. I noticed a few pages back that people were saying Tearaway didn't look good, Is there a reason for that? Cause I've watched gameplay videos and it looks good to me, am I missing something?
If the culprit is Totobeni, don't worry. He has poor taste and often posts trash to get a rise out of people.

Jennipeg

How long is Guacamelee? Got it a long time ago and kind of forgotten about it.

I think you can complete it in about 4-5 hours. I got 100% on my first playthrough so it took me about 12. I found the optional platforming sections incredibly hard, but I managed them in the end. At one point I had to swap to PS3 because i thought I would snap my Vita playing it. Stupid Tule Tree.

Roughly 10 hours if you're going for 100% in your first playthrough; 15 hours for the platinum.

EDIT: Beaten.

I think you can complete it in about 4-5 hours. I got 100% on my first playthrough so it took me about 12. I found the optional platforming sections incredibly hard, but I managed them in the end. At one point I had to swap to PS3 because i thought I would snap my Vita playing it. Stupid Tule Tree.

10h to mop up everything in normal. Add 4h to go through hard mode.

Cool, platinum, that will be what I'm aiming at. ;)

Haven't seen this cover art before.

Reminds me of the Ragnarok Odyssey Asia box art - I think it's way better than the US one:

35708.jpg

Also, sorry I didn't get on to add you guys for Terraria - I crashed after getting home from work lol. I'll be adding you guys at work today ;)

Top Bottom