• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | September 2013 | Token Indie Thread

Oshimai

Fuck. It's September already. Time to go back to classes.

LAST YEAR OF COLLEGE!! BANZAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Grinchy

Banned
Look at all of us poor students. I'm about to start week 3 as well. This is going to be a hard semester and I'll be stuck on campus a lot, so these indie Vita games couldn't be coming at a more perfect time.

wilflare

It's amazing how many Vitabros/sis are sharing the same experience!

My Honors year for me too and my Honors Thesis proposal is due in 20days ><. Really wanna do a topic gaming related but sources :/

And I may pick up another part time job (giving tuition) to fund my gaming expenses. The campus job isn't giving as much :/

Oshimai

It's amazing how many Vitabros/sis are sharing the same experience!

My Honors year for me too and my Honors Thesis proposal is due in 20days ><. Really wanna do a topic gaming related but sources :/

And I may pick up another part time job (giving tuition) to fund my gaming expenses. The campus job isn't giving as much :/

Not only sources... but the prof. you're working with has to approve of the topic as well right?

Same here. One more year and I can finally [hopefully] get a career job. My classes started a couple weeks ago, though.

Game related field or another profession?

Last year of University for me too.

Well...last year of my honors. Then I gotta go do my masters. ;_;

Masters in what field?!!

Look at all of us poor students. I'm about to start week 3 as well. This is going to be a hard semester and I'll be stuck on campus a lot, so these indie Vita games couldn't be coming at a more perfect time.

Student loans = gg

Kaizer

Banned
Just ordered a Vita yesterday, should be rejoining you guys soon! Haven't had a Vita since February of this year and I regret selling it. Can't wait to catch up on everything I've missed.

wilflare

Not only sources... but the prof. you're working with has to approve of the topic as well right?

Game related field or another profession?

Masters in what field?!!

Student loans = gg

Yea prof is one problem but coming up with a topic I will be excited to write is the more pressing issue. I wanted to write a paper on the Japanese Gaming Industry hoping to see thru the lens of history what caused their influence to dwindle but oh well I ended up writing on yakyu or Japanese baseball instead...

Thinking if I should go for Masters too. I was pretty set on being a teacher but I'm still waiting for the scholarship board to reply (yes in my final year) may apply for post-grad law... Or maybe journalism.

Yay! New thread for new games :D

I will be getting Rayman Legends(Hopefully) and Killzone Mercenary for this month. Also keeping my wallet ready for any potential sale since TGS is also this month.

Only trailer that exists is the PV they put up last month I believe. Few new screens came out a couple of weeks ago but the models look pretty janky to me, would've preferred that they stick to sprites tbh.

How is The Legend of Heroes franchise anyways? I've heard tons of positive things about Trails in the Sky, but not much else from the franchise's other games.

Sintoid

Did you read about missing content on Rayman Legends? Is there a way to ask (twitter - Facebook) any clarification from Ubi?

I will get it for sure the same but it's a big letdown :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
How is The Legend of Heroes franchise anyways? I've heard tons of positive things about Trails in the Sky, but not much else from the franchise's other games.
Probably my second favorite RPG series, but just play the kiseki games, don't bother with the earlier trilogy. Amazing world building through deep character interaction and slow, deliberate pacing that no other game I've played has done as well. I've only played up to Zero though, waiting for the Ao Evo Vita remake before picking up Sen.

Definitely highly recommend it if your Japanese is good enough. If not, pray to the XSEED overlords for a localization of the other SnK entries because the series is very much linked and interconnected; playing previous games is very important to each entry in the series.

P.S. the series has better music than the Ys series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ATlQT1ke1g

Tizoc

@DarkLordM- Ah I see, I doubt there'll be a US Plus discount, but it would be great if it does. Is PS3 ver. gonna be $40 or $50?

Did you read about missing content on Rayman Legends? Is there a way to ask (twitter - Facebook) any clarification from Ubi?

I will get it for sure the same but it's a big letdown :(

Maybe navigating the Invasion levels on the Vita screen won't be as easy as on a big screen TV? How big is the Wii U pad's screen?

Takao

Banned
I tweeted a lot to that Gio guy. As pretty much everything I listed was Japanese I expect nothing to happen.

Oh, and Criterion dropping Need for Speed pretty much is the curtain call for that series on Vita.

DigitalOp

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666493&highlight=token+indie

+we get the indie love, and the hate that goes with it

top of the page recommendations:
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Stealth Inc. (it's free soon... get dat)
Quell Memento
Shock Troopers PSP

Oh... sassy..

Yeah, thanks for the thread Noi. Broforce, believe...

IDK about yall, but some of these indie games have been pretty damn excellent. I totally embrace Vita being the platform to experience all the awesome in one package.

There's so much power to that... These games were made by people like you and me for people like you and me. I think that's pure artistry. Making games not only as a way to end means but simply for the love of the art as well...

That's what I get out of indie games...

Vita has so many polished titles coming from now till 2014

Trying to download a gamesave for Dracula X PSP that has both Rondo and SotN already unlocked...

Question is, how do you do this with Vita? I mean, is it a different file system all together, so it's basically impossible? Probably to avoid exploits no doubt...

Any suggestions?

VanWinkle

I tweeted a lot to that Gio guy. As pretty much everything I listed was Japanese I expect nothing to happen.

Oh, and Criterion dropping Need for Speed pretty much is the curtain call for that series on Vita.

Need for Speed going with Frostbite engine was the the curtain call.

Nice new thread.

Had a ripping session of KZM beta this arvo. Love that Shoreline map. Looking forward to seeing what others they have up their sleeve. I'd LOVE a proxy for Killzone Liberation's Airfield - like, THE finest multiplayer map I've ever had the pleasure playing on.

Takao

Banned
Inafune is a funny guy. He said Vita was a platform for creators so his new project on a site all about promoting creators isn't on Vita.

Need for Speed going with Frostbite engine was the the curtain call.

There's iOS and Android versions of that.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to download a gamesave for Dracula X PSP that has both Rondo and SotN already unlocked...

Question is, how do you do this with Vita? I mean, is it a different file system all together, so it's basically impossible? Probably to avoid exploits no doubt...

Any suggestions?
IIRC the game unlocks were really really early in the game, like the first few stages. I think you could just get them yourself pretty easily. Otherwise if it's just a psp save you're trying to transfer, I used this a while back and it worked: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/61972558

It is the curtain call for getting quality ports on VITA. Nothing stops EA from porting the crap iOS/Android NFS games to VITA and selling them for $40 each =/

@DarkLordM- Ah I see, I doubt there'll be a US Plus discount, but it would be great if it does. Is PS3 ver. gonna be $40 or $50?
PS3 version is $60, i think.

And the cut "Invasion" levels seem more like space issues to me. Origins was a short sized game even on PC. Legends, on the other hand, is close 7 GB on consoles and PC.

Shengar

Fuck. It's September already. Time to go back to classes.

LAST YEAR OF COLLEGE!! BANZAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Same here. Games taht I've finished in whole holiday its just FEA, and Mutant Blob Attack. I'm seriously need better time management here :/

Tizoc

PS3 version is $60, i think.

And the cut "Invasion" levels seem more like space issues to me. Origins was a short sized game even on PC. Legends, on the other hand, is close 7 GB on consoles and PC.

$60 for digital?! If that's the case I may as well get the disc ver. with dat awesome boxart. Will wait and see though if there'll be a Plus discount or Vita+PS3 bundle first though.

Cha

Can't believe it's already Killzone month. Gonna pick it up on day one, but I have so much of work to do that I'm not even gonna be able to play it. That cover is gonna be sitting on the shelf for a month, tempting me ;__;.

TheChaos0

Student loans = gg

Haha, I has been years and I'm still paying my off. ;)

Ah Merururururururu+ is come to Yurop on the 4th? Nice, nice. I take its going to be a digital only release again, ah well gotta fill up that memory card.

I'm on the fence over Killzone. I don't particularly like FPSs but I feel like I should get Mercenaries.

Shoyz

In the future when 4GB cards become cheap (<$5) I wish I could figure out a solution to putting a Vita memory card inside a game case. Like if they were to start producing the cases with a small memory card slot inside. Just buy a set of empty cases in cheap bulk, print out custom artwork, slap the 4GB in there with the game downloaded on it and you've got a pseudo physical copy! Kind of.

I wish I could grow a sense of ownership when it comes to digital games but all they provide is a nagging feeling in the back of my heart making me regret having bought them..probably the feeling that I should have, or have been robbed of, a physical copy of it. Woe.

Almost wish we were in the all-digital future so we could have whatever accommodations they would be forced to provide at that point. This in-between phase is really suffering.
Or learn Japanese and escape all these horrible localization companies

Moobabe

Nice new thread.

Had a ripping session of KZM beta this arvo. Love that Shoreline map. Looking forward to seeing what others they have up their sleeve. I'd LOVE a proxy for Killzone Liberation's Airfield - like, THE finest multiplayer map I've ever had the pleasure playing on.

KZ:L is about the cost of a rubbish sandwich on PSN - I toyed with the idea... but didn't bite. Tell me my transatlantic cousin - what's it like and should I buy it? Or shall I plough through my backlog and play more FF XIV? TELL ME

cafemomo

I wish all the PSP games where up on the PSN store. I'm on the verge of rebuying a PSP just to replay Crisis Core and all dem DJMAX games

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Might have top go in to a games blackout so I can focus my attention on Dragon's Crown. Too many distractions (like Spelunky!).

KZ:L is about the cost of a rubbish sandwich on PSN - I toyed with the idea... but didn't bite. Tell me my transatlantic cousin - what's it like and should I buy it? Or shall I plough through my backlog and play more FF XIV? TELL ME

Granted, this is coming from a huge fan of the IP, but I found it one of the most exciting games on PSP from a mechanical standpoint. Had sensible controls, a well-machined cover system given the isometric viewpoint and a good, solid campaign. Spikes of insane difficulty every now and again - you'll curse the name Cobar if you pick it up - and a slightly disheartening audio quality for some reason, but otherwise top-notch fare.

Also biased because it remains by far one of my all-time favourite ad-hoc multiplayer games with friends. Used to thrash it out in 2v2 on Friday nights. Every weapon was so well balanced. M82 had it over the Helghast AR in accuracy over distance, but the stopping power - to the point of knockdown - of said AR mitigated any deficit in accuracy. Crossbow was great, revolver was great, remote mine was devious and encouraged the most creative of plays. The whole multiplayer game was a gem.

Ah, the good old days.

To answer your question? For a song, I'd pick it up if curiosity is getting the better of you. It's a fine game in its own right, and would heartily encourage Guerrilla to offer up a Vita redux or a sequel. Would love a sequel.

Top Bottom