• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita TV $20 @ BestBuy

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
True but I'd say if someone is buying this they have a DS3 or DS4 kicking around. I'd hope people aren't buying this to just play VITA games. Streaming PS4 is a huge benefit. Otherwise it is, indeed, very much a rip-off.

Even with the ~$35 16GB VITA cards on Amazon I think I will just let this sit in the box until I find a better deal on them.

I already own a Vita, and no PS4, and I still got one to play Vita stuff on my TV. My eyes kinda suck and playing Vita for any longer period of time fucks with my eyes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
$20 for Vita internals. Really shows how overpriced the Vita (handheld) is. Sony should drop the Vita to $99, at least for black friday.

The screen is likely the most expensive part. Look back to the Super Gameboy and Gameboy player, they were far cheaper then their handheld counterparts despite having the same hardware. I doubt this thing only cost $20 to make, its likely closer to $40 or $50, and the only reason its so cheap is stores can't get rid of them.

Koeta

Lol it only comes with 1gb. Realisticly the device is going to be at least $60 unless you already have a vita.

to be fair, you don't need to buy a 16 or 32 GB memory card, you can move digital games to and from your PC when not playing them, but I think you would really need a 8GB card at least since some games can be up to 4GB~.

Found this on ebay if anyone cares, it's the bundle with 8GB memory card and PS3 Controller. ebay

n0razi

The screen is likely the most expensive part. Look back to the Super Gameboy and Gameboy player, they were far cheaper then their handheld counterparts despite having the same hardware. I doubt this thing only cost $20 to make, its likely closer to $40 or $50, and the only reason its so cheap is stores can't get rid of them.

Screen, Li-ion battery, controls/buttons all cost $, the PSTV is literally a chip in a plastic box

sk3tch

to be fair, you don't need to buy a 16 or 32 GB memory card, you can move digital games to and from your PC when not playing them, but I think you would really need a 8GB card at least since some games can be up to 4GB~.

OTOH - 8GB cards are like ~$30 and 16GB cards are like ~$35 on Amazon so it's really a no brainer to go 16GB and you still land at that ~$60 mark for a supposedly "cheap" item. :)

Koeta

OTOH - 8GB cards are like ~$30 and 16GB cards are like ~$35 on Amazon so it's really a no brainer to go 16GB and you still land at that ~$60 mark for a supposedly "cheap" item. :)

Yeah I just checked and saw the price of 8GB lol, I got 1 they gave me for free with my Borderlands 2 Bundle Vita, I just swap in my PSTV as needed didn't think it was so expensive.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 4 Golden is literally on sale for $10 this week. The starts have aligned, it's time for you to play a Persona game, GAF user.

Koeta

Persona 4 Golden is literally on sale for $10 this week. The starts have aligned, it's time for you to play a Persona game, GAF user.

if you buy the PSTV without a memory card I don't think you would have enough space to install the digital version of Persona 4 Golden BUT it's only $20 on Amazon right now for the Retail box version.

Amazon

SURGEdude

Great deal. Includes 1GB of internal storage memory.

Useful for:
PS4 Remote play on a 2nd TV
Physical PS Vita games
Digital Vita games
PS1 games

I've never met a boxed PS TV/Vita TV that wasn't hackable with the simple email whitelist to enable even the blocked games.

Is that exploit to make it compatible with any Vita game still available?

I'm actually thinking about going to buy one and hope it will be on an old firmware so I can use it for the exploit.

What's really annoying is that once you put a memory card in a Vita or PSTV with a newer firmware, it becomes unusuable on one with an older firmware. So then you have to have a separate PSTV and another memory card just to keep it exploitable.

I'm actually thinking about going to buy one and hope it will be on an old firmware so I can use it for the exploit.

What's really annoying is that once you put a memory card in a Vita or PSTV with a newer firmware, it becomes unusuable on one with an older firmware. So then you have to have a separate PSTV and another memory card just to keep it exploitable.

I didn't know about that last part, that's pretty shitty.

Seriously, why didn't they call it the Vita TV instead of PS TV. PS TV can be both misinterpreted as the 3D PlayStation TV Sony released in 2011, and the Play TV receiver/recorder thing.
I think the better question is why the Vita wasn't called the PSP2. That was just dumb.

Almost as dumb as Vue not working on the fucking PSTV. ><

Dagnabbit, bought one for $35 a couple months ago and still don't have a controller or memory card for it (hoping for black friday deals or craigslist or something). Can't complain about $15 too much I guess and I mostly got it out of fear I'd miss the fire sale.

SURGEdude

Dealing with huge numbers of PS TV owners on here and other forums I've NEVER heard of somebody getting a fresh out of box unit that had a non-hackable update firmware.

I'd be willing to bet they simply don't exist and never will at this point. You have 30 days to return on the almost zero percent chance I'm wrong.

SURGEdude

No Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Not ever gonna buy.

North America

Worked by simple emailing yourself a file you open on the PS TV's included email app. 1-2 minutes of work.

Another gaffer with some minor assistance from myself even figured out how to make the fix to load all Vita titles work if you connected to the store.

Edit: Sold out.

Namikaze

if you buy the PSTV without a memory card I don't think you would have enough space to install the digital version of Persona 4 Golden BUT it's only $20 on Amazon right now for the Retail box version.

Amazon

It definitely wouldn't fit. P4G is around 3.0GB installed, the Vita TV only comes with like 1GB of onboard storage.

Koeta

Wait, can I use this to download PS Plus Vita games if I don't actually have a Vita? That might be worth it.

it is a Vita, with a few features missing, like the camera, touchscreen ect, it hooks up to your TV and you use a PS3 or PS4 controller to use it.

So yeah most PS+ games will work on it, unless they are one of the very few games that aren't supported on PSTV.

Worked by simple emailing yourself a file you open on the PS TV's included email app. 1-2 minutes of work.

Another gaffer with some minor assistance from myself even figured out how to make the fix to load all Vita titles work if you connected to the store.

Edit: Sold out.
I'm interested. PSTV and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles owner here who hasn't beaten it yet. Could you explain this file I need to send or where can I find it?

sense

for 20 bucks what the heck!!! could try remote play on pc/bedroom tv. i do feel they should come out with a more powerful ps tv next year and add more services including ps vue to compete with google tv and apple tv

SeanR1221

It's still available.

I figured why the hell not. I'll see how the remote play works now that my system is wired.

i just wish I could somehow get it to display on my MacBook Pro

braves01

Banned
Just bought one. Shy of $22 with tax.

Okay, I know not everyone game is compatible, but is there a way around that?

I'm pretty sure there still is. Just don't update the firmware and there's a pretty easy hack to whitelist more games. I'm not sure how you get them on there, however, since you can't get to the store without updating. You might need a PS3 or another Vita (that is updated) to download the games.

Top Bottom