• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita TV $20 @ BestBuy

Ultimadrago

Now I'll buy a Vita (TV).

psvitaars77.gif

Does Vita TV count for the .gif, Vita owners?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wish i never sold my Vita memory card along with the system.... oh well, $20 for remote play to my second monitor is worth it

Copper

This thing can remote play PS4 games right? Also do I need a memory card for just that? Also I heard if you want to use a DS4 you have to update it using the DS3..

jack....

Every time this goes on sale I think about buying it and then convince myself I don't need it but I don't think I can pass it up at this price.

Beartruck

I'll probably buy one of these to play P4G and Ys on my TV. I have a question, though. You can use these to play Vita games without needing a Vita tied to your account or anything like that, right? Stupid question but I might grab one for a friend since he can't afford a Vita but really wants to try P4G.

It can't play Y's unless you whitelist hack it.

Weiss

Banned
If I hadn't done two playthrough of P4 this summer, I would be all over that.

Though I'm still holding out hope that Golden gets ported to PS4.

totowhoa

Banned
Can I access PSN on this and DL games right to my memory card and manage all that with this device? I might actually play my vita more if it's on my TV despite the OLED.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Every time this goes on sale I think about buying it and then convince myself I don't need it but I don't think I can pass it up at this price.

yeah did the same. for $20 at the best buy 2 blocks down i can impulse buy this.

Wow, already huh. I swear, this thing would have been 3x more successful if it Netflix.

wait this doesn't have Netflix?

-_- lol Sony c'mon

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I actually love my PSTV at the price i bought it, it does a ton of what i always wanted.

Tempting. Looks to only be the Vita TV and nothing more. How is PSone emulation and is it difficult to do?

PSone emulation is great and works fine. Just buy games off PSN and play.

A ton of digital PS1 games are supported.

Digital PSP games are supported

And a lot of Vita titles are supported both digitally and retail.

If you don't want to use a memory card beyond the 1GB internal storage already in the console, you can use it to play select vita retail carts easily with low memory footprint. Since i was never going to buy a vita, and the games i wanted to play that arent supported are already remastered in some form, the games stuck on vita actually are enough for me

Marche90

^I don't remember if Hulu works, but if you want Netflix, you'll have to use the whitelisting hack, otherwise it's blacklisted

Weird I was able to get free expedited shipping with this order. Thanks Bestbuy!

Same here. Not complaining about it, though.

It can't play Y's unless you whitelist hack it.

Ys, not Y's. And yes, it can, it was whitelisted by Sony with a recent firmware upgrade

damn you gaf, impulse bought it D: they have it for in store pick up still, i did not try shipping.

Same here. I wasn't expecting to buy anything lately, but at $~22 WITH SHIPPING, I can't say no.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Bought one for my brother, but forgot how much controllers cost. Maybe I can find a used one at Vintage Stock. At least the memory cards are on sale on Amazon.

Battlechili

Banned
I bought one of these when it went on sale a while back. The PSTV is great. Super cheap way to get a Vita, and wonderful for those who especially might want to play on the big screen. Currently have Persona 4 Golden and DT2's demo on it. While some games are disallowed from play, there are ways to get around that too, so if you're reason for wanting a Vita is Gravity Rush or some similar title, have no fear.
Although I do wonder how it handles updates when it comes to doing that. Does anyone know if updates would brick a PSTV if someone made it so they can play the Vita games the PSTV normally can't?
reminder that these are basically useless without an expensive ass memory card
It comes with some internal memory. You can save games onto it. I've even downloaded demos onto it and saved and still have memory left. Not much, but it can be done. Its not useless.

Noobcraft

Does this have Netflix and hulu?
It only outputs at 720p so it's not necessarily an ideal streaming device.

Someone sell me on one. I have a PSP and a couple digital games/PS1 games, but I haven't seen any Vita games I care to play other than Uncharted and Killzone.

jack....

Anyone who hasn't played Persona 4 Golden should get it along with one of these while they're both on sale. Even if you never play another game on it, $30 for P4G is a steal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone who hasn't played Persona 4 Golden should get it along with one of these while they're both on sale. Even if you never play another game on it, $30 for P4G is a steal.

Ironically enough the most expensive part of getting P4G to work on this deal? The controller. Second most expensive? Likely the memory card!

sonto340

Got really excited for a second, then remembered I have one sitting underneath my TV.

Also pretty sure the PSTV has 8GB or 16GB of onboard storage

Ultimadrago

I just caught it on PSN this morning for $10. I'm not sure if it's a PS+ deal only though.

Got really excited for a second, then remembered I have one sitting underneath my TV.

sonto340
Sigh
(Today, 10:04 AM)

Doesn't get much use, huh?

Ultimadrago

Yea, i just got the one at best buy and ordered 2x 8GB Memory cards from my nearby gamestopfor $20. Thanks NEOGAF!

Thanks for the heads up on $10 Refurbished memory cards! Though how much is 8GB for a Vita in the grand scheme of things? I wouldn't be playing too much on it, but I would be getting some digital titles.

cuilan

Just ordered one. Hard to say no at that price.

This is going to be the most convenient way for me to play my digital Japanese PSP games. Switching accounts and memory cards on the Vita has been so inconvenient that I haven't bothered in quite a while. This might even encourage me to buy some more digital PSP games in the future.

I'm glad the PSTV resonated with me so much. I mostly bought mine at launch as a way to play PSP games on my tv with comfy Dualshock 4 controls. Compared to the old component out cables on psp it looks much better as well. Games like FF IV, Tactics Ogre, and Lunar psp releases pop quite nicely on my Panasonic plasma tv. And a lot of games such as the Ys series, Monster Hunter, Dissidia 012, and others just feel so much more playable to me on Dualshock 4. Not to mention my entire PS1 collection there with all the 32 bit Squaresoft greats.

And being able to play P4G, Ys Celceta, Soul Sacrifice Delta, and Zero Escape on the big screen is far nicer to me than on a tiny screen.

So yeah, for me the PSTV is a JRPG superstation. I've got four pages full of cool psp/ps1/vita games that keep me coming back. Thankfully my gaming tastes go alongside what's available. Only one missing for me is Castlevania Dracula X remake.

Pretty tempting, but those memory card prices and lack of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc. really make me think twice.

Seriously, why didn't they call it the Vita TV instead of PS TV. PS TV can be both misinterpreted as the 3D PlayStation TV Sony released in 2011, and the Play TV receiver/recorder thing.

Better question is why in the world did they call it a Playstation TV when it can't even use video streaming apps? Being called the PS TV implies that it can.

sonto340

I just caught it on PSN this morning for $10. I'm not sure if it's a PS+ deal only though.

sonto340
Sigh
(Today, 10:04 AM)

Doesn't get much use, huh?
I finished off P4G on it and that's about it.
I have a vita but I'm so low on HDMI real estate to futz about behind my tv everytime I want to play a Vita game on the tv I'll just play it on the beautiful OLED.
Sigh indeed.

Wasn't it branded the VITA TV originally. At least in Japan? Then they changed it when it was obvious the vita was shitting the bed I think.

For those having issues with shipping, select pickup at store when viewing your shopping cart, then click checkout without selecting a store.

On the next screen, click "ship this item instead" and it will switch to free shipping. Just pay, and you are done.

Top Bottom