• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ |OT| 116 Songs. 6 High Schoolers. 1st Rhythm Game on Switch. This is the VOEZ!

Cerium

5gEfyt3.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I gave this a try last night. I have played the iOS version a bit, so I knew what I was getting into.

I love how everything is unlocked up front - dive in and play whatever song you want. But one thing I don't love is how incredibly lenient the game is on grading. I wish it was more punishing in that regard. I nearly FC'd a 14 or 15 on the max difficulty. I should have missed a LOT more than I did.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I gave this a try last night. I have played the iOS version a bit, so I knew what I was getting into.

I love how everything is unlocked up front - dive in and play whatever song you want. But one thing I don't love is how incredibly lenient the game is on grading. I wish it was more punishing in that regard. I nearly FC'd a 14 or 15 on the max difficulty. I should have missed a LOT more than I did.
For this game a FC is the starter goal, if you do the diary stuff most of them start to require you to A or greater songs very early on. Which is typically 3 or less misses and minimal okays

The real goal is doing a full perfect on a song. The game is lenient as far as other games go though on a basic level hell you cant even lose a song technically.

In DDR terms

Ok = Good
Perfect = Great
Max Perfect = Perfect

The blue ok's still let you keep the combo going but at that point you no longer qualify for a perfect or greater clear

Showshank

Liking the game so far! Have a few questions:
Are the keys only used for unlocking icons?
Why do some Icons have an "A" on them?
Is there a way to favorite a song?
Does this have a story? I've unlocked the prologue but it just seems to be a still image.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does this have a story? I've unlocked the prologue but it just seems to be a still image.

Unlocking icons in the switch version was used to buy songs in ios

No clue xD

Don't think so

Yup it has a story keep doing the diary challenges :)

tdwig

Neo Member

You can FC a song in this game and still have a terrible score. Reason being the timing is very lenient to get an "Ok". If you want a good rank however, you really gotta read and hit the notes in a pretty tight window to get the A/S ranks.

Keys are only for unlocking icons, yes.

I don't think it's an "A" but instead an "R"...and the last few icons have "SR". I'm assuming this means Rare and Super Rare? But I noticed you get at least 1 new icon every time you use a key so nothing is really rare.

No way to favorite a song.

In terms of story, once you complete more challenges, you'll get more info. For example, one of them shows a conversation via text between 2 characters. I honestly haven't kept up with it. It's an afterthought IMO.

I need to get back into this game but now with Isaac here, it's hard to play anything else.

peakish

This game is pretty fun. Really makes me want a new Ouendan aka the best handheld game ever made.

I had no idea how to control it at the beginning, though lol. Started out in proper handheld mode with using one finger, then one hand, then I started asking why they were trying to murder our fingers, then I went double thumb mode, then finall saw the image in the OP and started playing it piano style. What a trip

Monumma

Did anyone get a full combo for Yaoyue on easy (5x if it matters for this stuff, it may)? I can't seem to touch the 2 notes in the middle of the screen at around a 40 combo.
I don't think I'm missing anything...

edit: i get a 43 combo and then it breaks between the 2 notes so it's probably failing the input for the first note.

exfatal

Oh man just bought this game really liking the songs. Seems like Time Phase Pt.1 might be a GAF favorite, with good reason too amazing song, tried to look for pt.2 right after i finsihed the song lol.

I do hope they continue to support this on the Switch and update with leader boards. Not sure what else they could add other then more songs. Oh would appreciate a random song button and to sort by genre. If i remember correctly the Iphone version had it separated by genre no? Either way Great game hope more rhythm games show up for the switch.

Oh man just bought this game really liking the songs. Seems like Time Phase Pt.1 might be a GAF favorite, with good reason too amazing song, tried to look for pt.2 right after i finsihed the song lol.

I do hope they continue to support this on the Switch and update with leader boards. Not sure what else they could add other then more songs. Oh would appreciate a random song button and to sort by genre. If i remember correctly the Iphone version had it separated by genre no? Either way Great game hope more rhythm games show up for the switch.

If you liked Time Phase, check out a few songs from Rayark's previous rhythm games.

In Cytus, try Recollections and Zauberkugel. In Deemo, try AciculignosA and Re: the Full Moon World (which is by the same artist!) from RAC Collection #1.

Poppyseed

Couldn't resist. Picked this game up on the eshop at 2am. Looks like I won't be sleeping much tonight. This is so great. With my headphones on I'm in rhythm heaven! (Well, not Rhythm Heaven literally, of course, heh!)

69wpm

Picked the game up at launch and finally had time to play enough of it to write a review (you can read it here if you’re interested).

I also recorded a short off-screen gameplay video: https://streamable.com/h5ddi

All in all: I haven’t played a rhythm game since Taiko on the Wii (the first one I think) and had a blast with VOEZ. I’m an Anime fan and the style is to my liking. I can really recommend this game even if the price might seem high to some people; it really isn’t.

E-flux

I really like this, however i wish that i could sort songs by genre since this game has barely any tracks i like and searching for genres that overlap with my tastes would help a great deal of finding those songs. It's also pretty annoying to unlock parts of the story because many of the songs are absolutely slog to play through on easy, like in pretty much all rhythm games, i stopped completing those at a point where i needed to get A on 15 songs on easy..

Adding favorites would be great too.

Steiner

Banned
Consistent favorites for me so far are Silent Voice, Mitssi, Flash Gun, and... Prayer Something. The one with the girl sitting in a blue mech with a yellow background. I love all of those on hard so much. So fun to play. I always feel like I'm performing.

Cody_D165

Banned
Impulse bought this just now after spending last weekend at an anime convention and getting withdrawals from all the Japanese rhythm game cabinets.

I love this game already haha its scratching that itch pretty well :D

Monumma

I'm really frustrated by this game right now. On Sky High easy a note appears only the moment you miss it making it impossible to get a combo (unless I memorize the timing of that probably?). It's the second song I have to skip and this is not how I play rhythm games.

I'm having fun with the song that works though.

edit: Got the fc somehow.

Wow. I did like the game at first but something felt a bit... I don't want to say cheap, but let's say it didn't feel as satisfying as the big guns like Theatrhyhm, Project Diva, Taiko etc but hey I was enjoying it.

Then I discovered that little speaker button on the screen just before you start the song.. And maybe it's just me but it felt like the quality of the game rose by 1000%!

What it does is play a sound every time I hit a note. Not only does this feedback for some reason for me makes the game feel like it's much higher quality, but it also feels more accurate. Usually when you get OK it's hard to tell because of how fast everything is happening, and it just felt like the game was letting me off even if I was off. Now that I can hear when I press the note, I can easily tell if I was off.

Cerium

Wow. I did like the game at first but something felt a bit... I dont want to say cheap, but let's say it didn't feel as satisfying as the big guns like Theatrhyhm, Project Diva, Taiko etc but hey I was enjoying it.

Then I discovered that little speaker button on the screen just before you start the song.. And maybe it's just me but it felt like the quality of the game rose by 1000%!

What it does is play a sound every time I hit a note. Not only does this feedback for some reason for me makes the game feel like it's much higher quality, but it also feels more accurate. Usually when you get OK it's hard to tell because of how fast everything is happening, and it just felt like the game was letting me off even if I was off. Now that I can hear when I press the note, I can easily tell if I was off.
There's a whole paragraph on that feature in the OP.

There's a whole paragraph on that feature in the OP.

I didn't read the OP in detail because I had already watched a trailer and was sold on the game. The sound should be on by default!

I wonder how many people played the f2p version then dismissed it because of the no hit sounds. For me it shot up from Piano Tiles quality to a top quality rhythm game.

zenspider

Wow. I did like the game at first but something felt a bit... I dont want to say cheap, but let's say it didn't feel as satisfying as the big guns like Theatrhyhm, Project Diva, Taiko etc but hey I was enjoying it.

Wow. The lack of feedback is why I dropped it. Just tried it and it feels so much better and I get the rythym now. Thanks!

Also, lamenting the death of manuals.

Cerium

Maybe I should've made the whole OP one big billboard about the hitsounds.

I have no idea why they turn it off by default.

Maybe I should've made the whole OP one big billboard about the hitsounds.

I have no idea why they turn it off by default.

I don't know how they make such a great game but can't think to turn it on by default. I'm sure some people do prefer it off and others don't care, but it's one of those cases where the people that do want it on REALLY want it on lol. It makes all the difference in the world.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure why you'd turn keynotes off by default, having feedback in a rhythm game is very vital to help ensure the player's sense of rhythm is correct or too early/late.

If you turn it on, will the game remember the next time it gets booted, or do you have to turn it on each time you turn the game on?

Not sure why you'd turn keynotes off by default, having feedback in a rhythm game is very vital to help ensure the player's sense of rhythm is correct or too early/late.

If you turn it on, will the game remember the next time it gets booted, or do you have to turn it on each time you turn the game on?

It remembers.

ggx2ac

Having to get 10 A ranks in special stages.

Decide to pick Kamome Sano to next page on special.

Plays track, notes to hit everywhere.

"Are you fucking kidding me!?"

69wpm

There is an article in the Japanese news section, does anybody know what it says? Anything about the upcoming DLC maybe?

Monumma

Did anyone get a full combo for Yaoyue on easy (5x if it matters for this stuff, it may)? I can't seem to touch the 2 notes in the middle of the screen at around a 40 combo.
I don't think I'm missing anything...

edit: i get a 43 combo and then it breaks between the 2 notes so it's probably failing the input for the first note.

Pressing te middle column randomly I somehow got past that (like 1 every 25 tries if someone has to replicate this) point.

I now have fc'd every easy song. I will now start the Hard ones. RIP me.

Hedgey

My first Switch purchase =D
Finally got mine two days ago, starting to really dig in now.
This is a nice change of pace from the BEMANI stuff I've been playing recently.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There are great tracks in it, but far more shitty ones. I wish they could include a favorite feature.

There are great tracks in it, but far more shitty ones. I wish they could include a favorite feature.

The irony is that this does actually exist in the mobile version, because your favorites are obviously the songs you decide to buy and those are grouped together the "unlocked" section.

The problem is the synaesthesia. Sometimes the tracks mimic the real instruments. When you play without audio feedback, these parts are much much more immersive and just feel better. At other times, the game switches between instruments or doesn't follow them closely, so during those parts it feels better WITH audio feedback. Can't really decide which way to go. That's my only gripe with the game so far ...

ThatMattZ

Just downloaded the game on iOS and I'm hooked debating dropping the money for the Switch version.

Do you all play with just the Switch, or do you leave the JoyCons attached. I feel like it might be harder to hit all the notes with the JoyCons on.

For me the game is much better with the keynotes off, because they sound kind-of jarring with the music. If I could set their volume to be really quiet that might work (I did that with Final Fantasy Theatrythm). Without the sounds, the visuals are good enough to get a sense of how good my timing is, just gotta watch for the rainbow diamonds.

Deft Beck

Just downloaded the game on iOS and I'm hooked debating dropping the money for the Switch version.

Do you all play with just the Switch, or do you leave the JoyCons attached. I feel like it might be harder to hit all the notes with the JoyCons on.

I play with everything attached. Makes it much more stable.

I use just the Switch screen and hold it in my thighs. Someone else here suggested it and it works best for me, I think.

w0s

I really am enjoying this game. Is there any way to favorite the songs you really like? With so many songs it would be nice to remember what you really like.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would assume that's what the eShop card is for, sounds like Nintendo is still the hardest company of the three to get codes for games.

Though I'm guessing EU only?

ggx2ac

I would assume that's what the eShop card is for, sounds like Nintendo is still the hardest company of the three to get codes for games.

Though I'm guessing EU only?

It looks like they are specifying European eShop cards so you'd probably have to make a second account or switch the region of your Nintendo account to a non-UK European country temporarily to buy Voez using the eShop card.

Regiruler

Sell me on this: I'm slighty averse to Moe but I like the electronica I heard, I like traditional unlock structures, and I'm bad at bht enjoy rhythm games.

Top Bottom