• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Void Bastards (PC/XBO) announced, by development director of Bioshock/System Shock 2

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This was announced at X018, but i feel it warrants its own thread. It looks hella cool. It reminded me of Ur-Quan Masters and the forgotten DOS title Alpha Storm, which also sees you in a spaceship travelling through the universe and plotting your way, invading other ships. Heck, the plotting map looks really similar too.

This will launch in early 2019 for PC and Xbox One, publisher is Humble Bundle, studio is Blue Manchu, led by Jonathan Chey, co-founder of Irrational Games and development director on Bioshock and System Shock 2

Info (Includes GIFS):
Inspired by BioShock and System Shock 2, Void Bastards is a revolutionary new strategy-shooter that will test your wits as well as exercise your aim. Can you lead the misfit prisoners of the Void Ark through the derelict spaceships and myriad dangers of the Sargasso Nebula?

VB_Gremlin_616x347.gif

Forget everything you know about first-person shooters: Void Bastards asks you to take charge, not just point your gun and fire. Your task is to lead the rag-tag Void Bastards out of the Sargasso Nebula. You make the decisions: where to go, what to do and who to fight. And then you must carry out that strategy in the face of strange and terrible enemies.

VB_Shipmap_616x347.gif

On board derelict spaceships you’ll plan your mission, taking note of the ship layout, what hazards and enemies you might encounter and what terminals and other ship systems you can use to your advantage..

VB_BuzzbaySimple_616x347.gif

Move carefully through the dangerous ships, searching for supplies and manipulating control systems. React to what you find - will you detour to the generator to bring the power back online or will you fight your way into the security module to disable the ship’s defenses? Choose carefully when to fight, when to run and when just to be a bastard.

VB_Kittybot_616x347.gif

Use your hard won supplies to improvise tools and weapons, from the distracting robo-kitty to the horribly unstable clusterflak.

VB_Starmap_616x347.gif

Navigate your tiny escape pod through the vast nebula. Flee from void whales and pirates, and politely avoid the hungry hermits. All the while you must keep scavenging for the food, fuel, and other resources that keep you alive.

VB_Prisoners_616x347.gif

Void Bastards features a 12-15 hour campaign that you can complete with an endless supply of prisoners, each with their own unique traits. When one dies, another steps forward to carry on the fight. Don’t worry though, as any crafting progress you’ve made is retained from one to another.

Trailer:

Screens:
void-bastards-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-0-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-1-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-2-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-3-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-4-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-5-noscale.jpg

void-bastards-6-noscale.jpg
Steam:

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Thanks for the heads up Redneck! This looks really good! Digging the art and play style-it looks like FTL and Borderlands had a baby! Wish listing this now!:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
I don't want to hate on M$ because competition is key, but they just consistently underwhelm with the eXclusive software

X One X is a great machine doe

Last edited:

Shifty

The graphics look really interesting- the characters have that 8-directional sprite look from doom, but at the same time appear to be proper real-time 3D renders? Very nice.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Probably the only thing of real value shown during the event yesterday. The game looks very interesting and I am interested in trying it out. Would love it if they would release a physical copy :D

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't want to hate on M$ because competition is key, but they just consistently underwhelm with the eXclusive software

I don't give a shit about MS but on what planet is this underwhelming? System Shock 2 is one of the greatest games ever made.

Alx

I love the visual style, more games should go for the cartoonish look IMO. Not sure about the character animations though, I suppose they're meant to emulate comics too, but I think I'd rather have regular ones.

Vawn

Banned
Is this an actual Xbox console exclusive? Or did they only mention Xbox since it was a Xbox conference?

Isa

As soon as I saw it I knew I need this in my life. These immersive sims are among my favorite genres and there aren't too many on the horizon. Some of the elements seem like there will be plenty of replayability. I liked the humour too.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Definitely the stand out of XO, though that's not saying much. Still, game looks great.

The graphics look really interesting- the characters have that 8-directional sprite look from doom, but at the same time appear to be proper real-time 3D renders? Very nice.

The characters are all hand drawn sprites, the rest of the world is all 3d but built in a pretty unique way where line work is rendered as geometry so it has consistent widths like inking in a comic.

I am an artist on this title so nice to see a positive reception (not the 2d illustrator though, that is art director Ben Lee's work).

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

What does this have anything to do with the game Void Bastards???

Is this an actual Xbox console exclusive? Or did they only mention Xbox since it was a Xbox conference?
Probably the latter. For now its PC/XBO, Sony has not filled in a PS4 version yet nor Nintendo with a Switch version. I can see it work for Nintendo though.

Surprisingly little tech details beyond a Reddit post. Haven't found out yet what engine it is using.

spending 5+ years working on an indie title is kinda weird. who is financing his studio?
Make a thread about it, find some sources, reach out :) Don't just hijack a topic, although i understand the relevancy here :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It looks like it will be a really cool game. Part shooter, part xcom/r6 strategizing, part puzzle solving, part roguelike(?) resource management, part 4X-ish overall strategy, utilization of environment similar to tower defense games except you're the invader, etc. A lot of things coming together like I don't think I've ever seen before.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-2400, AMD FX-8320
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
    • Storage: 6 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7-2600K, AMD FX-8350
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 970 4GB, AMD R9 290 4GB
    • Storage: 6 GB available space
giphy.gif

chemicals

I always heard great things about this game. I installed it and played it the day it came out. I didn't really even like it at first, but I kept coming back to it. A week ago, it clicked... now I can't stop playing it. It's just very relaxing and it looks cool. I love it.

Top Bottom