• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR gamers, are 2d games not as engaging anymore?

delroy

Neo Member
For me - immediately after playing in VR, 2D games don't feel as engaging. It can really be mind-blowing and It usually takes a sleep to break the mental differences. The main issue for me is the "hassle" of actually playing in VR, i.e. putting on the headset, dealing with the cables, etc. which makes me do it less often than I'd like given the buy-in. Still enjoy my 2D gaming thoroughly, with VR as a supplementary experience.

Every time my wife plays in VR, she ends up saying something to the effect of "Wow, I don't want to play anything else ever again" (and then goes back to playing Layton or Rhythm Heaven haha).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Definitely nowhere near as engaging once I switch right after VR to 2D. It'll normalize/stabilize lol after a few days or weeks though. But yea if I have the option to experience the same game/software in VR vs 2D, VR will be the go to choice 100% of the time without fail. RE7 was fucking night and day. I felt disgusted even trying it in 2D tbh.

Definitely nowhere near as engaging once I switch right after VR to 2D. It'll normalize/stabilize lol after a few days or weeks though. But yea if I have the option to experience the same game/software in VR vs 2D, VR will be the go to choice 100% of the time without fail. RE7 was fucking night and day. I felt disgusted even trying it in 2D tbh.

That's the thing, I completed R7 all in VR, Then saw streamers i subscribe too playing it not in VR and it's just nowhere near the same immersion. I tried it myself and it's such a major step back, Not even a small step back, But totally makes it feel ancient and a few gens back.

Outlast 2 missed the boat big time not being in VR, It was the reason i didn't buy it because unless i am in the horror game now, I won't be scared at all staring at it on the TV, Feels disconnected somewhat. The Inpatient will be the next one to step into for our horror fix.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That's the thing, I completed R7 all in VR, Then saw streamers i subscribe too playing it not in VR and it's just nowhere near the same immersion. I tried it myself and it's such a major step back, Not even a small step back, But totally makes it feel ancient and a few gens back.

Outlast 2 missed the boat big time not being in VR, It was the reason i didn't buy it because unless i am in the horror game now, I won't be scared at all staring at it on the TV, Feels disconnected somewhat. The Inpatient will be the next one to step into for our horror fix.
Hell yeah. Any game where horror/suspense/immersion is a huge factor, it will be night and day in VR vs non-VR mode. I'd rather be inside the game and scared shitless at times. Will check out The Impatient as well, thanks. Love me some VR horror. It is so damn tense.

UrbanRats

Only things banking on large scale.
On a 2d screen they'0re just pathetic, in comparison.

The rest isn't all that well developed in VR yet, so no need to worry.

Playing 2.5D platformers in 3D is still fun even if it isn't fully VR. I'm sure some clever developers can integrate aspects of VR into at least 2.5D games.

CamHostage

Hrm, interesting phenomenon for the OP to feel. Haven't heard many voicing that feeling, but it's a good sign for VR that some people are absorbing its full effects.

The hype on VR of course is that it's the "next big thing" that will supplant current entertainment as we know it (I'll include AR and other tech as well since it's connected, and also I'm much more bullish on AR myself.) Facebook didn't spend billions on this tech just because it's neat and sells $600 boxes. But from feedback I've seen so far, it seemed like it's just too early in the technology and game development application to have this deep and irreversible connection with the tech. Lots of target shooters, lots of boo-scare horror games, lots of moving stuff around for the hell of it games, and some conversions of full-scale games, but we're a ways away from the VR equivalent of a Breath of the Wild or Horizon absorbing players in for days at a time. But perhaps that's a understatement of what the tactical and immersive value of VR does for games...

I know when I played a VR strategy game, it was 8-bit simple in terms of tactics, just simple mathematics and rock-paper-scissors gamesmanship, but I lost myself in it for half an hour because it was me inside the game, not an avatar. My experience with VR otherwise is limited (I have Gear VR but am waiting to get the controller before I get serious about strapping it on,) but that experience was eye-opening.

Suggestions of games that have pushed you past the line of no return, ChouGoku?

i won't play racing games anymore unless they are in VR, total gamechanger there.
This is the genre where I feel it the most, most flat games can still be fun just much less engaging.

I felt back with MotorStorm 1 on PS3 that if we could just get a camera system that worked well enough to keep players inside the vehicle/helmet as in the E3 2005 concept teaser, racing games would never be the same...

Mascot

I'm only a couple of hours into Rift ownership and flat sim racing seems like a Victorian concept to me already.

Flipyap

If anything, VR makes traditional games with full movement controls feel like a revelation.

There certainly is stuff that feels better in VR and I often find myself wishing that I could look around some spaces in VR, but "2D" games aren't going anywhere as long as allowing the player to slowly shamble forward remains a risky design move.

tr00per

I wouldn't say they've lost anything, including their ability to engage me, but I can say that almost any game that would make sense in VR would be more engaging (assuming it would work/control properly).

Playing something like Bound in VR and then going back to a tv on the same game leaves something to be desired

Dremorak

Banned
Nope, a good game is a good game regardless of the format.

whoop-there-it-is.gif

ChouGoku

Hrm, interesting phenomenon for the OP to feel. Haven't heard many voicing that feeling, but it's a good sign for VR that some people are absorbing its full effects.

The hype on VR of course is that it's the "next big thing" that will supplant current entertainment as we know it (I'll include AR and other tech as well since it's connected, and also I'm much more bullish on AR myself.) Facebook didn't spend billions on this tech just because it's neat and sells $600 boxes. But from feedback I've seen so far, it seemed like it's just too early in the technology and game development application to have this deep and irreversible connection with the tech. Lots of target shooters, lots of boo-scare horror games, lots of moving stuff around for the hell of it games, and some conversions of full-scale games, but we're a ways away from the VR equivalent of a Breath of the Wild or Horizon absorbing players in for days at a time. But perhaps that's a understatement of what the tactical and immersive value of VR does for games...

I know when I played a VR strategy game, it was 8-bit simple in terms of tactics, just simple mathematics and rock-paper-scissors gamesmanship, but I lost myself in it for half an hour because it was me inside the game, not an avatar. My experience with VR otherwise is limited (I have Gear VR but am waiting to get the controller before I get serious about strapping it on,) but that experience was eye-opening.

Suggestions of games that have pushed you past the line of no return, ChouGoku?

I felt back with MotorStorm 1 on PS3 that if we could just get a camera system that worked well enough to keep players inside the vehicle/helmet as in the E3 2005 concept teaser, racing games would never be the same...
First person shooters like Arizona Sunshine, Farpoint, Resident Evil 7 (Especially this one), Superhot (especially this one) have made me want all FPS games in VR and I used to hate FPS games. I only had about 3 before VR. Racing games have been ruined, I want to get a racing wheel, If that happens I probably will never go back.

Its not really the games themselves, VR makes me realize that its not just rose tinted glasses that made me like games as a kid, it was also that was an era of firsts. This feels exactly the same, there are so many games that make me feel like n64 to ps2 era again where it felt like there are so many firsts happening before our eyes. RE7 was a good game but VR made it amazing and it wasn't even made for VR. When later games capture the atmosphere of RE7 but made for VR will probably melt minds. VR for me feel like playing a NES after playing board games your whole life. The NES games were probably not the most complex but was still mindblowing, but this time you know there will be a ps2 version someday. Also this time it already has an established video game scene preceding it.

theshortbaker

Neo Member
I am a massive fan of the flat screen or VR, as it depends on how well the implementation of VR is to a game. RE7 was amazing, Driveclub is great, haven't got to Farpoint yet but itching to give it a proper go.

My major issue relates to unpacking, setting it all up for a couple hours fun, then packing it all up again so my kids don't destroy it.

I do love PSVR and what it currently and, hopefully will offer, but its just the chore of packing it up deters me most nights I want to play it.

Mascot

Racing games have been ruined, I want to get a racing wheel, If that happens I probably will never go back.

Do it.

I am a massive fan of the flat screen or VR, as it depends on how well the implementation of VR is to a game. RE7 was amazing, Driveclub is great, haven't got to Farpoint yet but itching to give it a proper go.

My major issue relates to unpacking, setting it all up for a couple hours fun, then packing it all up again so my kids don't destroy it.

I do love PSVR and what it currently and, hopefully will offer, but its just the chore of packing it up deters me most nights I want to play it.

Yeah, if I didn't have a dedicated room for gaming then I think the faffing about would soon become a chore.

Top Bottom