• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR is a fad and will never take off

Kamfair55

Banned
So basically almost all types of games. Good news! VR has lots of benefits for most types of games, and I listed them in a previous page in bullet points. Most VR ports tend to be preferred in VR.

I love how you can tell it's snake oil without having ever tried it. And if it doesn't sell in it's current form, how does it get improved beyond that? See, you didn't think this through did you?
You can improve on the tech and the applications making it more then just interactive versions of things we already have. If it isn't at the point that I can do what I did in say final fantasy 6 without needing a controller and actually have me immersed in the story being able to walk when I walk go wherever I want without teleporting from point to point then I'm not interested. Vr right now constantly feels like a launch window of a console with all these neat maybes and possibly's and "in the futures" but in the now it's a bunch of tech demo type games with a handful of legit games but nothing convincing enough to spend 3 4 500+ just to play

Kamfair55

Banned
You said it's snake oil and shouldn't be sold. Ergo: shitting on it. You really love to contradict yourself don't you?
It is and I said at this point that's not shitting on it they're selling it on the promise of it's future that's not worth the money sell it when it's there not when it's a nice step in the history of vr

You can improve on the tech and the applications making it more then just interactive versions of things we already have. If it isn't at the point that I can do what I did in say final fantasy 6 without needing a controller and actually have me immersed in the story being able to walk when I walk go wherever I want without teleporting from point to point then I'm not interested. Vr right now constantly feels like a launch window of a console with all these neat maybes and possibly's and "in the futures" but in the now it's a bunch of tech demo type games with a handful of legit games but nothing convincing enough to spend 3 4 500+ just to play
FF6 is an incredibly old game, but if you want to play it that way, the game could be remade for VR just fine. Also teleporting is not often forced these days. There are full fledged VR games including AAA games launching this year.

It is and I said at this point that's not shitting on it they're selling it on the promise of it's future that's not worth the money sell it when it's there not when it's a nice step in the history of vr
You seem so confident and yet you've never tried it. Again, this is like me shitting on Gordan Ramsay's steak and saying it's snake oil just by watching a video of it. The fact that you think that's okay really makes me worried for you. No one should think that.

The next thing I see is Gordan Ramsay in front of me shoving bread in my face and calling me an idiot sandwich.

Last edited:

Keihart

Good for you and your personal bubble.
Very curious, are you interested on a discussion on why VR is or isn't a fad or did you just come to the thread to state your opinion? because if it is the later, i think you have already stated your position so why bother posting any further. If you really want to discuss the topic you are making a very poor attempt repeating over and over again " but this is my opinion" as an argument.

trikster40

Guys, I’ve gone back and read all 647 of Kanfair’s posts and I’ve changed my mind about VR.

He’s right, VR is just a fad. His logic is sound and arguments are full-proof. I think it’s time that this VR fad hypothesis turns into a VR fad theory.

I guess I don’t need Resident Evil 7, Driveub, WipeOut, Ace Combat 7, Moss, AstroBot, Blood & Truth, Skyrim, Beat Saber, Rick & Morty, or any of the other 60+ VR games I own.

Nah, you know, his arguments against VR have been so spot on that I now believe video games are a fad. I mean, they can’t compare to what I can do in real life. If I want to jump through a window in real life, why can’t I in every video game? I can’t even take a crap in most video games, and that’s the best part of my day.

It’s time you all stopped trolling him and admit he’s got valid points.

Guys, I’ve gone back and read all 647 of Kanfair’s posts and I’ve changed my mind about VR.

He’s right, VR is just a fad. His logic is sound and arguments are full-proof. I think it’s time that this VR fad hypothesis turns into a VR fad theory.

I guess I don’t need Resident Evil 7, Driveub, WipeOut, Ace Combat 7, Moss, AstroBot, Blood & Truth, Skyrim, Beat Saber, Rick & Morty, or any of the other 60+ VR games I own.

Nah, you know, his arguments against VR have been so spot on that I now believe video games are a fad. I mean, they can’t compare to what I can do in real life. If I want to jump through a window in real life, why can’t I in every video game? I can’t even take a crap in most video games, and that’s the best part of my day.

It’s time you all stopped trolling him and admit he’s got valid points.
I concede. We have lost.

Thaedolus

Very curious, are you interested on a discussion on why VR is or isn't a fad or did you just come to the thread to state your opinion? because if it is the later, i think you have already stated your position so why bother posting any further. If you really want to discuss the topic you are making a very poor attempt repeating over and over again " but this is my opinion" as an argument.

I think it's a legit troll account, or somehow otherwise not interested in any kind of good faith discussion about the pros and cons of VR. No acknowledgement of its benefits, absolute acceptance that the whole thing sucks and everyone who likes it is deluded...not worth anyone's time to keep engaging.

I think it's a legit troll account, or somehow otherwise not interested in any kind of good faith discussion about the pros and cons of VR. No acknowledgement of its benefits, absolute acceptance that the whole thing sucks and everyone who likes it is deluded...not worth anyone's time to keep engaging.
The only thing that separates a troll from a fool, is that allegedly a troll is only pretending to be ignorant.
I think calling someone a troll is assuming too much. He should be assumed to be a fool until proven otherwise.

gifgaf

What is interesting is that Kamfair55's account was made not long after the troll OP of this very thread was perm banned.

I am not saying Kamfair55 is Fluzor, I just find it interesting. lose a troll, gain a troll, It's the circle of life. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

gifgaf

Not really. VR today are VR glasses. Poor guy, doesn’t know what VR is.
Holodeck is Virtual Reality, Virtual Reality glasses are just a different portal to Virtual Reality.

Definition of virtual reality

: an artificial environment which is experienced through sensory stimuli (such as sights and sounds) provided by a computer and in which one's actions partially determine what happens in the environmentalso : the technology used to create or access a virtual reality

Last edited:
Not really. VR today are VR glasses. Poor guy, doesn’t know what VR is.
No really. It is. Virtual Reality creates the illusionary state that your brain is in an entirely different place - a virtual world without knowledge of physically being in the real world.

Last edited:

SantaC

The problem is lack of meaty games. RE7 is the only VR game worth playing unless you like mini game galore.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
No really. It is. Virtual Reality creates the illusionary state that your brain is in an entirely different place - a virtual world without knowledge of physically being in the real world.

So, if someone says VR, as op right here, he is referring to HOLO DECK and he is saying it is a fad? Do you really believe that?

So, if someone says VR, as op right here, he is referring to HOLO DECK and he is saying it is a fad? Do you really believe that?
The HoloDeck is still VR, it's just a possible future of the technology. Just like light-field TVs are a possible future of TVs.

Keihart

The problem is lack of meaty games. RE7 is the only VR game worth playing unless you like mini game galore.
I would like to direct you to Robo Recall and Wilson's Heart, they are not new at all and are somre pretty full fledged games on the oculus rift.

Romulus

It's crazy people think like this, re7 is actually in the middle range in terms of length. I've got more hours in borderlands 2 VR and just started a new playthrough.

Thabass

Is this thread the tirefire that I think it is? I keep seeing it pop up from time to time.

VR isn't going anywhere. Developers in the industry and IN OTHER INDUSTRIES are going nuts over the possibilities it has. Now that Oculus Quest is out, I'm sure more and more will adapt to that style of VR headset.

Let this thread die already.

Top Bottom