• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR is great but I wish Sony or Nintendo would release an Interactive Projector

onQ123

For Sony I would like for them to use the PS5 USB-C port to send out parts of games out into the real world through a small projector that points down at the floor. Example someone throw a grenade in a game & you can see it roll across your floor & have to kick it away & you can see the explosion in whichever corner of your room that you kick it into.

Nintendo I'm hoping a projector is built into their next handheld

Like this but smaller & cheaper

Dick Jones

Gold Member
For Sony I would like for them to use the PS5 USB-C port to send out parts of games out into the real world through a small projector that points down at the floor. Example someone throw a grenade in a game & you can see it roll across your floor & have to kick it away & you can see the explosion in whichever corner of your room that you kick it into.

Welcome to the forum Don Mattrick.

onQ123

Not only is VR superior with depth perception and actual real-world scale, but it's way cheaper. Easy pass.

It actually would be cheaper to have a USB-C projector for PS5 the processing would be happening on the PS5 the projector would be just projecting the image while some sensors track your interactions but this has nothing to do with being better than VR , VR is pretty much the end game this would be complementing TV/Handheld gaming.

Agent X

I've seen games using this sort of technology at a local shopping mall a while back. One of the games was similar to Dance Dance Revolution, but with the cues projected directly onto the floor, instead of tapping on a mat.

There are some good uses of this technology for entertainment, but it's much better suited for an arcade or "family game center" setting, rather than in homes.

onQ123

I've seen games using this sort of technology at a local shopping mall a while back. One of the games was similar to Dance Dance Revolution, but with the cues projected directly onto the floor, instead of tapping on a mat.

There are some good uses of this technology for entertainment, but it's much better suited for an arcade or "family game center" setting, rather than in homes.

I think seen that game but I don't know where it had a ballerina

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Will stick to the superior VR.

mrmustard

Banned
A projector in a handheld? What could possibly happen? Kids blinding other kids?
Besides that, it's just a bad idea und would be another Wii U.

Ar¢tos

We have touchscreen screens (tablets/monitors, etc) , you know?

And is a projector going to increase immersion more than VR does?

Last edited:

ThaGuy

I remember Nintendo had a accessory in development for the GameCube that was a projector screen of some sort that was going to be used for double dash I believe. So with that said, I'm sure Nintendo has been looking into it. They just need a low entry price as usual lol

Fbh

That sounds more like a gimmick that only few, if any, games would truly take advantage of.
Also it looks like it would only really work in a completely dark room because even in the marketing material it looks really washed out in a bright setting

Cohetedor

I'm sure it was a tough call between this and vr and the wireless butt plug.
I'm curious why you had to specify 'wireless', wtf would a corded butt plug be for? Now I'm picturing someone playing their Switch naked with a cord coming out their ass tethered to a wall outlet.

onQ123

Subway Surfer / Temple Run type games could easily sell this no matter what short sighted people think.

Ar¢tos

I'm curious why you had to specify 'wireless', wtf would a corded butt plug be for? Now I'm picturing someone playing their Switch naked with a cord coming out their ass tethered to a wall outlet.
More powerful vibrations into your body or even small electric shocks!
But wireless allows your loved ones to send their love from anywhere in the world via phone directly into your body!

Last edited:

Crayon

Once you go wireless there is no going back. That wire is a DEAL BREAKER.

X-Wing

I'm sure it was a tough call between this and vr and the wireless butt plug.

They almost chose the butt plug. But then they thought "Let's just price VR2 high enough so that people will feel like they just had surprise buttsex". :messenger_beaming:

Just kidding. PSVR2 looks awesome and the price is more than fair for what they are offering.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Yes & how would your hands block something that's pointed at the floor below your upper body?

The projector would be close to your console / TV pointed towards the floor

I find it hilarious that you post a video to prove a point yet the kids hand is literally blocking the projected image. It's like the most prominent thing in the thumb 🤣

onQ123

I find it hilarious that you post a video to prove a point yet the kids hand is literally blocking the projected image. It's like the most prominent thing in the thumb 🤣

The video was to show you a projector that aims at the floor you wouldn't be laying on the floor playing games on a TV 😂

The Alien

Banned
Microsoft Illumiroom.

At least from a projector standpoint, less interactive more immersive. Looked really awesome...at least on their video doc. Ultimately it was dropped cuz it was too expensive for consumer market (iirc).

BootsLoader

Banned

I think it will be very expensive peripheral and will take a lot of time and resources to implement in the games. Not a bad idea but not sure if it works.

onQ123

I think it will be very expensive peripheral and will take a lot of time and resources to implement in the games. Not a bad idea but not sure if it works.
Projectors are really cheap now & this wouldn't need a high end projector because the main screen would be your TV

Crayon

I'm drug & alcohol free & nothing I have said is indicating that I'm high.

Oh. You need help brainstorming, then. So if i'm understanding correctly, this not completely unlike the concept of the wii-u game pad? Like a companion display with input?

BootsLoader

Banned
Projectors are really cheap now & this wouldn't need a high end projector because the main screen would be your TV
But how a low end projector will intergrade with a high end game? Can’t imagine playing God of War with a low end projector, it will ruin the game.

Top Bottom