• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR is great but I wish Sony or Nintendo would release an Interactive Projector

Robb

Gold Member
I’m no VR guy but I’d take a VR headset over those interactive projectors any day of the week.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's the kind of thing that sounds cool and it's neat that such a thing is possible but there's no way that it would feel good or fun to use for actual gaming.

VR is unparalleled in terms of bringing video game immersion and new dimension to gaming.

Last edited:

onQ123

Are you kidding me? When the game and your screen is 1440p, how will a low resolution interactive projector integrate with that?
What are you talking about? The resolution of the TV has nothing to do with this.

The main game will be on your TV with secondary stuff being projected onto the floor .

Like if you're playing Madden the floor would show the plays before the snap but show the turf when you're running the field , If you're playing an adventure game the floor could be a top down view of the map . Playing a Dance game the floor could be used like a DDR Mat

Petopia

Banned
People can't even get vr right, how do you think a laggy touch interface projector would do anything to an industry that's already saturated with ideas dating back to 3d.

BootsLoader

Banned
What are you talking about? The resolution of the TV has nothing to do with this.

The main game will be on your TV with secondary stuff being projected onto the floor .

Like if you're playing Madden the floor would show the plays before the snap but show the turf when you're running the field , If you're playing an adventure game the floor could be a top down view of the map . Playing a Dance game the floor could be used like a DDR Mat
Really? You like seeing crystal clear resolution on your tv and then look at the projector screen bullshit? Do you understand how that will impact game quality?

onQ123

Really? You like seeing crystal clear resolution on your tv and then look at the projector screen bullshit? Do you understand how that will impact game quality?
I set up a $79 projector for a churches movie night on a 120" screen a few months ago when their old projector died & it looked just fine no one is going to be crying about the quality of some secondary stuff that's on the floor

CamHostage

I like what the OP is dreaming up... just not sure what it could be that'd work?

It feels like a Nintendo idea, but it also sounds expensive and limiting for the little additional immersion it could possibly offer. (And if a projector was built into a handheld, that could be more cool but also fragile, among other issues.) A little additional break-out box projector accessory would be more doable (like Amazon Glow but without the screen), but Amazon already tried and failed with that concept and second-screen features on Wii U barely got used even though that was the whole idea of the device.

It's tough envisioning how it would be a transformative experience that would enable new types of gameplay, which is Nintendo's goal. As a novelty, it would be cool IMO depending on how they implemented/added it on, but as a major bulletpoint of a new console, there's not a clear demand waiting for somebody to deliver it right. But I'd love to see the concept brainstormed out...

Last edited:

CamHostage

I really loved this idea and am sad Illumiroom never came to fruition. It makes sense why it never happened, given the difficulty of making it happen, but it's such a cool add-on, way better than the Hue rear illumination... which weirdly stalled out, I would have thought this would be a standard add-on for TVs by now just for the external kit cost in an otherwise stagnated market.) Disneyland does a lot of this projection-mapping in the park for its nighttime shows these days, and it's a cool effect, and with a game engine instead of pre-recorded footage, there's a lot of options for what it could do.

The concept for what tech would be needed is generally simple; the projector would be a second screen with very limited need of resolution, and you could probably scan the room for initial setup with a phone. Projectors aren't cheap (though they are getting cheaper,) but again, it would only need be low-res and not necessarily max brightness. (In the demo trailer, they also show some options for how could compromise, including switching to b/w wireframe for buildings or just using colored lights as indicators for items on the periphery, rather than the full "go big" experience of a massive projected screenspace.) And the options are pretty wide for how it would be used, from basic action-enhancement to true play mechanics (light or pulses or other signals might be used in a horror game, for instance.)

There's a number of problems with the idea in general though. One is that a project can't "project" black, so you'd always be adding light and glare to the screen. That, and set-up is probably prohibitive in most houses (ultra-short-throw projectors make it conceivably more possible, but those have barely cracked the $900 pricepoint. Also, of course, games or hardware would need to support it individually, which barely happens well with DualSense/HD Rumble even though those features are built right into the packed-in controllers.

Razer was trying to do this back in 2017 too, adding "Project Ariana" to its Chroma line of synced gaming lights for PC games, but it never reached market either. (Judging by the concept, they spent more time on the hardware "design" than the play concepts than MS did, as they have a futuristic-looking projector but their only idea shown is full-screen projection, which IMO looks annoying instead of immersive.)

https://www.razer.com/concepts/project-ariana

Better video of the old Illumiroom concept, with a tech breakdown of a lot of implementation ideas they were experimenting with.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I set up a $79 projector for a churches movie night on a 120" screen a few months ago when their old projector died & it looked just fine no one is going to be crying about the quality of some secondary stuff that's on the floor
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Top Bottom