• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait But Why: It's Going to Be Okay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
He could be progressive on literally everything else and I would still consider his presidency an unqualified disaster if he pulls out of the Paris Agreement.

Climate change is never mentioned in these articles because it is impossible to try and make it seem okay.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, it's really just hitting me that people are going the "it sucks. nothing we can do" apathy BS-excuse. Many activists and former presidents are rolling in their graves, damn.

Is it wrong if I hope that John Oliver calls the entire country out and literally says "you're fucking stupid for electing Trump"?

darkwing

He could be progressive on literally everything else and I would still consider his presidency an unqualified disaster if he pulls out of the Paris Agreement.

Climate change is never mentioned in these articles because it is impossible to try and make it seem okay.

consider the Paris Agreement dead, why waste time on a Chinese hoax, even the upcoming EPA head thinks climate change is a bunch of nothing

Air

Banned
What checks and balances? Republicans own practically all levels of government and they all want more fossil fuels.

I know, but the hope is that the representatives have enough sense to stop him from doing anything insane. Is it likely? I have no idea, but I think the only thing we can do at the moment is hope for the best until this thing starts rolling and jump when we have the chance

I'm not worried about data. I believed Trump could win because I can see America.

"GAF" is upset for a variety of reasons. Many minorities are upset because our president is a certified bigot, with support from many who are either bigots themselves, or unfazed by bigotry. White moderates are upset at the minorities for daring to be upset. Dems are upset about the horrible turnout and bad showing by the DNC, Repubs are upset that people are being mean to them.

Im a minority, and I've been on this website a long time. You don't have to explain to me what's going on. I'm not saying had is a monolith, but the website has a demographic that skews in a certain direction, and a lot of those people's worldviews were turned upside down. I'm very well aware of how different categories of people are feeling and I'm vehemently anti trump so I'm not sure who you're trying to convince

Sianos

After his wonderful piece wherein he extensively analyzed AI risk and the critical caution that must be undergone, I'm quite confused as to why "a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated" isn't triggering at least some alarm bells in his head.

These people who are saying "relax, things will be okay" are seemingly ignoring the rise and unabashed openness of racists the day after the election.

No, everything is not fine. These racist fascists groups have been energized and mobilzed and the results last night was their issued command to start harassing and hurting minorities.

Lime

Straight white male telling POC, Women and the LGBTQ community it's going to be OK.

Watch it, you don't want to hurt his feelings otherwise he'll have to vote for a fascist because the SJWs / Regressive Left called out his status in society.

“Easy for you to say, white male blogger. I’m brown and I don’t feel safe here anymore.”

Here’s what I’ll say to that:

How does someone write these two statements, one after the other, and not then suddenly shrivel up into a little ball of shame?

Also:

This country had your back yesterday and it’ll have your back tomorrow.

Millions of people are reminded every day that the country doesn't and never will have their back, and this puts a huge, official stamp on that.

it’s 320 million people, and those people haven’t changed.

That's exactly what many people are afraid of.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
tumblr_n3fs0rMqb41qm2l53o9_250.gif

Toxi

Banned
Man, it's really just hitting me that people are going the "it sucks. nothing we can do" apathy BS-excuse. Many activists and former presidents are rolling in their graves, damn.

Is it wrong if I hope that John Oliver calls the entire country out and literally says "you're fucking stupid for electing Trump"?
I hope he does that.

Sianos

Like, even if he entirely ignores empathy for others and only looks at the future from his own perspective, he should still realize that in accordance with his own advovacy for AI risk awareness this is not an "okay" situation.

Korey

Useless platitudes that ignore the reality we find ourselves in.

The Democratic party in shambles and the Republican party controlling every branch of our government.

How does someone write these two statements, one after the other, and not then suddenly shrivel up into a little ball of shame?

Also:

Millions of people are reminded every day that the country doesn't and never will have their back, and this puts a huge, official stamp on that.

That's exactly what many people are afraid of.

Seriously, everything you quoted is just completely insane and it is baffling to me that he wrote it. Totally inexcusable.

icespide

Banned
dear straight white male,

before you write another "it's not the end of the world" think piece, consider this, maybe don't write it

and i say this as a straight white male

Yup. The system is dumb. But if Hillary lost the popular vote and won the electoral vote, you’d be fine with it. You can’t protest a system only when you lose.

I hate arguments like this. How do you know that we would be fine with it? It has happened only to the Democratic candidate twice in the last 5 elections, and previously only happened a few times before the telephone existed. People have hated it since 2000, they've hated it before then, and will continue to hate it.

I know, but the hope is that the representatives have enough sense to stop him from doing anything insane. Is it likely? I have no idea, but I think the only thing we can do at the moment is hope for the best until this thing starts rolling and jump when we have the chance

Im a minority, and I've been on this website a long time. You don't have to explain to me what's going on. I'm not saying had is a monolith, but the website has a demographic that skews in a certain direction, and a lot of those people's worldviews were turned upside down. I'm very well aware of how different categories of people are feeling and I'm vehemently anti trump so I'm not sure who you're trying to convince

I see.

I'd love to be optimistic, but almost everything I've read suggests that this country is going to the shitter, as long as Donald remains in office.

Trump is going to dismantle the EPA!

"The system is working."

Pence believes in conversion therapy!

"An adult choice of a running mate."

Trump is repealing Obamacare with no solid replacement plan!

"This is reality."

Black, Hispanic, and other minorities are terrified!

"America has never been so alive!"

Shut the fuck up, please.

Crayon

This guy has his head up is ass this is an awful outcome. This is the worst day since September 11th.

dear straight white male,

before you write another "it's not the end of the world" think piece, consider this, maybe don't write it

and i say this as a straight white male

This.

Because the writer is an idiot.

This.

And the writer also wrote this in there:
but I’m encouraged by both his experience running a large, complex company and his surprisingly adult choice of Pence as a running mate

Fuck his experience when his experience was running that shit into the ground, fraud, illegal and/or knowingly evasive shit, and running it (and his other things) on all sorts of nasty practices. And fucking Pence. That's not an adult choice, well atleast with people who have actual decency, another area this election sadly proved we still have a lot of progress to make.

Sigh :(

"The system is working."

"This is reality."

This.

Neo C.

The SCOTUS could potentially go 3-6 if RBG or Breyer couldn't make through the next 4 years. But yeah, everything is fine, sure.

The most concerning thing is his stance on environmental issues. But I think any well informed person knows that he can be held accountable and there are checks and balances in place. Will we regret in aspects, yeah there's a good chance of that but it's not the end of the world.

What checks and balances?

They control the whole damn fucking show... and guess what on shit like climate change? They all think it's a hoax basically...

The watchtower is empty, there's no one watching to hold them accountable.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The SCOTUS could potentially go 3-6 if RBG or Breyer couldn't make through the next 4 years. But yeah, everything is fine, sure.

Pretty much. There's nothing "okay" about this. Like I said in the other "everything's fine" thread, this is a nightmare scenario. No hyperbole. Just look at who is now in control of the executive and legislative branches and what kind of people they'll appoint into positions that will effect future generations.

Also please enough of this "it's all good if you're a white male" bullshit. This isn't good for anybody.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well this is just false. Not only did Hillary get more popular votes, but there were so many people that just did not vote, how could we ever say it was 1 to 1?

Hillary got 1% more, take or leave a few.
101:100 looking better to you?
Those who didn't vote, didn't care either way. If they had strong opinions on the matter.. they'd have voted.

Lowmelody

What a stupid limp noodle of an article that is out of touch with minorities. This isn't going to turn out fine, its not fine now and it wont be fine later.

It’s an uncomfortable compromise where half the country is appalled by who the president is at all times. Obama’s elections made tens of millions of people feel the same way.

Yes, and for the most vocal of that group, they were appalled for ENTIRELY DIFFERENT, ENTIRELY INCOMPARABLE, and ridiculous reasons -- the things they would say about Obama and be "appalled by" are somewhat ironically the same things the group I am part of is "appalled" of Trump saying about people who disagree with him.

EmSeta

It's a decent, level headed article. It's shameful that racist dismissals ("White male!") have become acceptable reactions on GAF. Look at the arguments, not at the guy's skin color. Is that so hard?

I hate Trump and I think this is a really sad time for the world, but the hyperbole needs to stop. Minorities aren't going to suddenly be rounded up and shot. There was a small surge in hate crimes after Brexit, but it died down, and so will this.

Crayon

It's a decent, level headed article. It's shameful that racist dismissals ("White male!") have become acceptable reactions on GAF. Look at the arguments, not at the guy's skin color. Is that so hard?

I think maybe you are not having an overly robust grasp of the racism concept right now.

I hate Trump and I think this is a really sad time for the world, but the hyperbole needs to stop. Minorities aren't going to suddenly be rounded up and shot. There was a small surge in hate crimes after Brexit, but it died down, and so will this.

The "arguments" are dumb on their own. It wouldn't matter if he was blue-black.

It only has the possibility of being OK if we dial it up to 11 pretty much every day for the next 4 years and put everything humanly possible to making sure we don't completely screw up everything yet again.

EmSeta

The "arguments" are dumb on their own. It wouldn't matter if he was blue-black.

Okay - I haven't heard a single convincing argument for why African Americans or Hispanics suddenly aren't "safe". That's where the hyperbole comes in.

This is bad for all Americans, and even the rest of the world. But aside from speculation, what is Trump going to do that will cause actual harm to minorities?

Lowmelody

This article is a distilled concentration of white privilege.

Nice of you minimize the pain that minorities are going through as a direct result of this election with patronizing bullshit while you display the same white privilege that you're defending.

Seventy70

I don't get why people are mad. As a minority, I'm scared out of my mind, but it helps to hear reassuring things like this. Shouting that it's the end of the world doesn't help anyone, even if it was the case. We can't do shit at this point other than focus on building for next time.

What? What do you think will happen to non-whites? What have I missed? I'm serious.

Well, for example, Giuliani is rumored to have a DOJ role, possibly AG. They will try and push through nationwide Stop and Frisk, (which Trump ran on, BTW) which will disproportionately affect people with my skin tan level.

That is just an example that directly affects me. Latinos and Muslims have their own troubles under Trump.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

"The system is working."

"This is reality."

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom