• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, people didn't like Marvel vs Capcom 2 soundtrack when it came out?

I was like 6 when it came out and didn't get to really play it until the original xbox version came out like 3 years later. I'm playing MvC2 with a friend and he takes the remote and mutes the TV. I'm like "dude we are playing on clock tower, what are you doing?" and he's like "nobody wants to hear that shit". Apparently that was the biggest complaint about the game when it came out. WTF? I think the game's soundtrack is almost objectively good (unless you dislike jazz and in that case you just have bad taste :lol) Did any of you guys seriously dislike the ost?

kunonabi

Just about everyone hated it and most people used custom soundtracks for it. I don't think I remember any tourney or get-together with a copy using default tracks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I did not like it, especially considering how good the character themes were for MvC.

I get the novelty of it, but it really doesn't fit the pace of the game at all.

Bishop89

i liked it back when i played it heavely on the ps2..

played it the other day in a long time and ye... dont really think of much anymore.

FSLink

Banned
Bad and repetitive when it came out, cheesy character select theme.

Nowadays I enjoy how cheesy the OST is though, only for nostalgia reasons.

MisterHero

"Objectively good" Pffffffffft.

Marvel vs. SF and Marvel vs. Capcom 1 have superior soundtracks*. Character-specific music and even mid-battle alternating.

*also, SNK vs Capcom series

DryvBy

I always liked it because it was such a horrible soundtrack. Jazzy music for a fighting game just doesn't fit. But I wouldn't want it any other way.

RyanDG

The soundtrack to the game as a whole wasn't bad.

The character select theme made me want to stick a screwdriver in my ears out though, and unfortunately it was the one bit of the soundtrack I heard the most.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The soundtrack is the only thing me and my friends liked about that game. we went back to playing MVC1 after like 2 weeks.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
It actually prevents me from playing the game. I really dislike that jazzy, trumpet kind of music for this game. And that main menu music. Ugh. It's really unfortunate.

Slermy

I enjoyed the soundtrack, it was a nice chance of pace.

Capcom vs. SNK 2's soundtrack blows it out of the water though.

Soulstar

It made a wonderful contrast to what was happening on the screen. I still waffle back and forth between if I liked the character themes from MvC1 more or the Jazzy MvC2 soundtrack. It is definitely better than MvC3 they mangle a good 80% of the character themes in that game.

I am pretty sure that if you actually like jazz, you will hate MvC2 OST on principle alone.

That OST did not hold up after repeated playings, but the only fighting game OST that did for me was Tekken 3 (having two OSTs to switch from, arcade and console, helped a lot).

MvC3 saltmines would be negated if it had an MvC2 style soundtrack. There's an amazing mash up on the YouTubes.

Doesn't beat True Love Makin' though.

It made a wonderful contrast to what was happening on the screen. I still waffle back and forth between if I liked the character themes from MvC1 more or the Jazzy MvC2 soundtrack. It is definitely better than MvC3 they mangle a good 80% of the character themes in that game.

There's something to be said for the dissonance of being wrecked by a rom infinite with "NOBODY TO DRY YOUUUUUUR EEEEYEEES" blaring in the background.

Agreed on MvC3, though they definitely stepped up their shit for the themes for the UMvC3 newcomers.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, I don't really remember internet opinion, but pretty much everyone I knew disliked it. It was certainly an acquired taste.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Am I the only one that likes MvC3's soundtrack? I thought they did a pretty good job of modifying and creating a cohesiveness to all of the different themes. Except for Iron Man. That shit sounds like the Price is Right fail sound.

Top Bottom