• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, people didn't like Marvel vs Capcom 2 soundtrack when it came out?

fatty

The cheesy jazz soundtrack doesn't fit at all with the fighting theme. Just listened to the clock tower stage, seems like something played over a department store sound system or in an elevator.

Kind of hard to enjoy the MVC2 soundtrack when you are just coming off Third Strike.

I can't stand the main theme of Third Strike. Sounds like cats are being tortured in the beginning, music is then pretty good but then the rapping starts and I just turn it off.

ElFly

Still don't like it, gonna take you for a ride aside.

Alpha 2 was the last capcom fighting game with good music for me.

Blueblur1

Most people I knew hated it or ignored it. It didn't really fit in with the game when you were familiar with the music they had been using in the previous games in the series. It seemed like people on the internet disliked the soundtrack as well except for a couple that gave it a fair shot. (Years later I became one of those people that came to love the jazzy tunes.) Then there came an ironic appreciation for tracks like the character select screen track. I'm sure that ironic appreciation turned into real appreciation in some people. So nowadays you have way more people who enjoy the soundtrack than the original target audience did 13 years ago.

pablito

i didn't. i thought it was too goofy at the time. kinda still is, but i don't mind it anymore. there's a couple tracks that are pretty good though.

hymanator

It did not go with the theme of the game at all. It's like putting a scoop of ice cream on top of a delicious steak.

The cheesy jazz soundtrack doesn't fit at all with the fighting theme. Just listened to the clock tower stage, seems like something played over a department store sound system or in an elevator.

I can't stand the main theme of Third Strike. Sounds like cats are being tortured in the beginning, music is then pretty good but then the rapping starts and I just turn it off.
:(

Subaru

It's REALLY strange, but I also think that's its greatest quality.

Capcom was very creative in their soundtracks that time. It started with the - AMAZING - SFZ3 soundtrack, and continued through CvsSNK1, 2 and MvC2. All these games have such unique soundtracks! Love all of them (well, I don't love CvSNK1 soundtrack, but some songs are incredible!)

The worst (big) fighting game OST is, by far, KOF 2001 (and SNKvC, oh god that is horrible). I hate those games because their soundtrackst, can't play at all.

About MvC3: I don't think the remixes are good as SFIV ones, but I really like some songs like She Hulk's Theme

Mesoian

it's a great soundtrack for a different game. MvsC2's OST great, but it's terrible for a fighting game. I used to think Capcom accidently used the wrong files before the game went gold and were forced to continue onward.

VARIA

After Street Fighter 2 it feels like Capcom stopped caring about having good music in their fighting games.

Evilisk

Am I the only one that likes MvC3's soundtrack? I thought they did a pretty good job of modifying and creating a cohesiveness to all of the different themes. Except for Iron Man. That shit sounds like the Price is Right fail sound.

MvC3's soundtrack was okay. The original/new music themes for the new characters were really well done (She-Hulk, Galactus, Thor) but I can't say I liked the remixes for most of the Marvel or even the Capcom characters. They were okay but I'm used to better music from Capcom tbh.

Also KK Stark (nickname for Iron Man theme, since it honestly sounds like a KK Animal Crossing song) was so bad it was good.

About MvC3: I don't think the remixes are good as SFIV ones, but I really like some songs like She Hulk's Theme

Yeah the original/new music was great but the remixes, not so much. I love Dr. Strange's theme, though Nova, Hawkeye and Ghost Rider themes were really good too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MvC3's soundtrack was okay. The original/new music themes for the new characters were really well done (She-Hulk, Galactus, Thor) but I can't say I liked the remixes for most of the Marvel or even the Capcom characters. They were okay but I'm used to better music from Capcom tbh.

Also KK Stark (nickname for Iron Man theme, since it honestly sounds like a KK Animal Crossing song) was so bad it was good.

Yeah the original/new music was great but the remixes, not so much. I love Dr. Strange's theme, though Nova, Hawkeye and Ghost Rider themes were really good too.

She-Hulk, Nova, and Hawkeye are definitely some of my favorites. Dante's is practically a one-to-one conversation from DMC3. Vergil's is close, as well. Wesker's, too.

Perhaps on a more controversial level, I like Ryu's and Phoenix Wright's a lot.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think the game's soundtrack is almost objectively good (unless you dislike jazz and in that case you just have bad taste

When I originally got MvC2 for the Dreamcast and some friends came over to play it, the one guy who was most vehemently in favor of muting the music was the biggest jazz aficionado I know. The OST has become loved over time because it's so damned ridiculous that it has some charm in how bad it is. Taken on its own it's really pretty embarrassing music. Saying that disliking MvC2's soundtrack is an indication of disliking jazz is like saying the same about someone who dislikes Kenny G.

EulaCapra

I always loved it. Random ass jazzy music complimented the random ass colorful backgrounds which complimented the random ass stuff going on-screen.

Great...just the meer mention of I'm Gonna Take you for a Ride...has that darn song playing in my head again...it's too catchy!

It's a good soundtrack. Short but good.

I wanna take you for a ride is obviously the highlight, but the Network Mode and stage music are pretty good as well.

I was like 6 when it came out and didn't get to really play it until the original xbox version came out like 3 years later. I'm playing MvC2 with a friend and he takes the remote and mutes the TV. I'm like "dude we are playing on clock tower, what are you doing?" and he's like "nobody wants to hear that shit". Apparently that was the biggest complaint about the game when it came out. WTF? I think the game's soundtrack is almost objectively good (unless you dislike jazz and in that case you just have bad taste :lol) Did any of you guys seriously dislike the ost?

I still dont like it.

It feels out of place

Marvel 1>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marvel 3>>>>>>Marvel 2.

I honestly can't think of a worse soundtrack for a fighting game.

It would have possibly been good outside of MvC2, but it's so jarring to hear smooth jazz while beating the stuffing out of your opponent. I really don't like it at all.

Also, awful character select music. Thank goodness for the updated one in UMvC3.

Prophane33

Well, thanks OP for making me feel ancient. Regardless, when the game came out on Dreamcast it was my first experience with the game (I never saw an arcade version till maybe 5 years ago) and I remember finding the soundtrack bizarre. I believe I described it as "grocery store music". I didn't really dislike it, I just didn't feel it fit with the game. Once the XBLA re-release came out, I found myself enjoying the music in a nostalgic way. It's not something that I'd own the OST for, but I can't imagine MvC2 without the jazzy soundtrack.

.la1n

Best fighting game sound track? Always bet on SF III, especially Third Strike. MvC2 is nostalgic but the sound track really isn't anything to write home about.

goldenpp72

I liked it, it didn't seem fully appropriate but then again, I did consider the game wacky on its own so the fact the OST was also didn't hurt it for me.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
In regards to the OP

Yes. Compared to Capcom's previous fighting game soundtracks, the term 'boring elevator music' was greatly used around the early 2000's. As time went on tho, it grew on most people and is one of the more loved fighting game OST's around.

vg260

MvC2's soundtrack was awful. It's only good ironically, which doesn't justify its existence in this fighting game.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
the MvC2 soundtrack was and still is one of my favorites in a game ever! So much so that I play it on my computer/youtube even when not playing the game.

shaowebb

In regards to the OP

Yes. Compared to Capcom's previous fighting game soundtracks, the term 'boring elevator music' was greatly used around the early 2000's. As time went on tho, it grew on most people and is one of the more loved fighting game OST's around.

This really sums it up. It was a big WTF and didn't fit in with its era, but the soundtrack just sort of stuck around because it was honestly a good soundtrack if out of place for its era. It got better as folks grew out of fad themes to style fighter OST's on and tried to enjoy it on its own merit instead of basing its worth by demanding it sound like other fighting game tracks of its time.

Back in the day I was muting it too and the take you for a ride loop on character select drove me nuts. Now I let it rock and get into it because nostalgia and because not every soundtrack has to be Guilty Gear for me anymore.

I still hate it. The CPS-2 VS games had a consistent style to their OST's, I loved them.

There were a lot of little things I didn't like going to the NAOMI platform, and that huge cast just wasn't enough to sway me, awesome as it was.

vvise

I still love this game on my DC. I loved the OST because it was just so refreshing, but I remember most people giving it a lot of hate :( I didn't know GAF liked it. I'm glad you're with me!

Everyone I knew hated it when the game came out. Heck, I remember people doing everything they could to make their own custom OSTs to replace that game's soundtrack. Somewhere along the line people seem to have liked it more, accepted it, or just like it for one reason or another. Personally despite one or two good tracks I didn't like it, but I can't remember anything other then Gonna Take you for a Ride which, I still don't like.

Top Bottom