• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal :"PS4 Demand Exceeding Sony's Expectations

If NPD data for the holiday season has Xbone selling more than PS4, it would either be the best or the worst day on Neogaf.

I was told at Gamestop that corporate is only allowing them to have 8 Xbox One preorders and 25 PS4 pre orders. So it seems the Xbox One will be supply constrained. That's probably why they're not launching in Asia until next year.

Jackl

Whats the war between Xbox One, Redbox and Gamefly? Did they release some kind of statement? Also aren't MS and Gamestop buddy buddy because we can probably assume that Gamestop will be at the top of MS's list of authorized game resellers.

Xbox is looking to cut the renters out, and is offering relative pennies in compensation to the major resellers. Gamestop is publicly acting nice out of sheer business interest, but their accounting departments have to be pissed.

leadbelly

Banned
Thanks to Zok310 for the heads up.

If Sony can get the Ps4 out before the Xbox One launches, and if reports by Wario64 are correct that the Ps4 will be stocked in more numbers than the Xbone then I foresee a great Sony future..

Well, they've yet to give a launch date. I suppose it is possible they will release it around the same time or slightly later, but I have a feeling they are planning to release it as early as they possibly can. If they manage to get it out earlier than the Xbox One, that will be another blow to Microsoft.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Both of them will probably sell every unit they can build, so it won't really say much about demand.

Average ebay price could actually be a better metric.

I expect so too. Given the truthfact yield issue that was semi-confirmed for Xbox One.

Any such yield issue with PS4? I've asked a few times but gaf has cut the "who quoted me feature".

Freki

Both of them will probably sell every unit they can build, so it won't really say much about demand.

Average ebay price could actually be a better metric.

This - We'll have probably have to wait till next year in order to really measure the state of the "console war" (lol)

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm having the exact opposite situation. My friends are telling me that they will be preordering Xbone day 1. They all assume that XBL will be better and are laughing that now Sony fans need to pay for subpar online.

Had to get that last shot in huh?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sony must be tripping over themselves in joy.

This will be the first time I have pre-ordered any console.

And also will be relaxing at home while Amazon delivers it. :)

SRTtoZ

Honestly, I've never seen more fanboys jump ship over a single event than this one. Sure, some Xbox fanboys are too entrenched to move, but there is an alarming amount of platform shifting going on now. I had multiple friends from my XBL days call me and say they're going to join me on PS3 or PS4 now. One of them had like 5 or more RRODs, refused to go to Sony throughout all of this, and is also now jumping ship.

It's all anecdotal, so it doesn't amount to much, but even reading GAF the impression I get is that a huge number of Xbox fans jumped ship. 360 was my favorite console for most of last gen and I accumulated like 170 titles over the years, and I'm jumped ship.

I'm right there with ya.

Traded in my 360.

kE3boaS.jpg

Preordered the fun.

It had to be done.

I bet Sony targets late October or first week of November.

This fall's big tentpole release dates as of right now...

SEPTEMBER 17th - Grand Theft Auto V
SEPTEMBER 24th - FIFA 14

OCTOBER 8th - Beyond: Two Souls

OCTOBER 25th - Batman: Arkham Origins
OCTOBER 29th - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
OCTOBER 29th - Battlefield 4

NOVEMBER 5th - Call of Duty: Ghosts
NOVEMBER 19th - Watch_Dogs

I can't see Sony undercutting Beyond by releasing the PS4 the very next week.
But the 22nd of October? Yeah, I could see an early release push happening anytime from there until the 29th when the first big franchise titles with next-gen versions come out.

If it doesn't happen then, I don't see any release happening until at least the 15th of November or so.

If they can launch in the third week of October, it is going to have very good initial success in terms of software sales.

The hardcore might not want to wait for a month or two to play their favorites like the ones above and instead could just get them on PC or current generation of consoles.

Launching it in the third week of October can potentially make PS4 grab a big slice of pie from those software sales.

However, I highly doubt they can launch in October. Most likely late November.

That's great news. At least everyone who gets the PS4 this year will feel like they are getting a real Christmas gift. Anyone who gets an XBox One will feel like they are getting a lump of coal.

Metfanant

I preorded the PS4 the SECOND I got the email. Am I guaranteed launch?

Is there a way to check?

:(

amazon?...go to the PS4 page...there should be a button to switch between "launch edition" and "standard edition" click launch edition...it should say something up to like "update you purchased this item on June 10, 2013"

if it doesnt...or it says that when your on the "standard edition" then youve got a problem...you can also hit them up on a live chat and the rep will be able to verify for you

Amir0x

Banned
Whats the war between Xbox One, Redbox and Gamefly? Did they release some kind of statement? Also aren't MS and Gamestop buddy buddy because we can probably assume that Gamestop will be at the top of MS's list of authorized game resellers.

Redbox did release a statement. In fact, they even opened a site for it. Now that PS4 is known to be doing exactly what Redbox wants from console companies, the only one left this site is for is for Xbox One.

I've been a loyal Xbox fan since the OG XBOX and have hated on Sony for years. But I can't wait to get my hands on a PS4 and I'm fine with never touching the XBOX ONE.
I'm right there with ya.

Traded in my 360.

Preordered the fun.

It had to be done.

Mad respect. I was so sad I have to give up some of my favorite Xbox series and the cool game they showed, but I can't stand for this. It's too much to give up.

I loved my 360 for so long, had so many memories, but those days are over for me. :(

So as these posts demonstrate, even on NeoGAF, many Xbox fans are simply not putting up with this.

I'm in a very similar situation. The majority of my retail game collection is 360 (80-90 games), and before any of the consoles were revealed I was certain I'd be ready to jump over to the next Xbox. Not the case at all, I went from it being top of my list to probably not buying it ever.

I really want some of them Xbox One games. It really is painful to know a whole avenue of games is off limits to me now. But it's worth it to send a message to these companies that enough is enough.

The sad fact of the matter is that many people will buy the Xbox One just for Halo. It's one of the biggest franchises in gaming. But you're going to see a complete role reversal this upcoming generation. I think third party games will look better on the PS4 by some margin and it is very possible that gamers will flock to the PS4 because of the price and third party titles. The Xbox One is not going to be some failure, however. It'll be a failure compared to the 360, but the PS3 was considered a failure compared to the PS2.

Honestly, Halo is big, but it won't be enough to salvage the system if it's not catching on, much like Mario isn't enough to salvage Wii U (and that's a much, much bigger series).

gatti-man

I'm having the exact opposite situation. My friends are telling me that they will be preordering Xbone day 1. They all assume that XBL will be better and are laughing that now Sony fans need to pay for subpar online.

Yup casuals might get burned at first until they see their sub par multi platform games and weak sauce first party ms support. Casuals don't understand 360 was lead platform this gen and benefited from it. Xbone won't be lead platform.

Limanima

The way things are rolling out, MS will have to do something fast or else they are in real trouble.
Better lower that price and swallow that 100. Either way things are looking dark.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I see no reason to trade in my 360 like you guys. I still loved that system and i still have a ton of games for it. Im gonna put it below my ps4 and next to my ps3 and keep those games around to play as they will work offline. Might even buy one of the new release 360's to get a backup before they discontinue/

Antiochus

Full article:

Sony Corp. is raising internal sales projections for the forthcoming PlayStation 4 videogame console amid positive signs about demand for the device, executives of the Japanese electronics company said Tuesday.

Andrew House, global head of Sony's PlayStation videogame business, said the company is shifting its internal projections for the product after favorable reactions to the company's presentation Monday at the Electronics Entertainment Expo here this week. He did not quantify those projections.

More
Microsoft Angers Gamers With Xbox One Restrictions
The company said it will sell the PlayStation 4 later this year for $399, and began letting consumers place preorders Monday night. Contrary to rival Microsoft Corp., which is releasing the Xbox One for $499 in November, Sony will not offer publishers technology to restrict the resale or sharing of disc-based games.

Excitement from gamers was evident on Amazon.com Inc.'s website, as the PlayStation 4 jumped to the top of the list of best-selling videogame products on the website. Sales were apparently so high that Amazon included a warning that it could no longer guarantee release-date availability for new preorders.

Jack Tretton, head of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, said GameStop Corp. executives had told him the company would buy "every single unit" Sony can manufacture if it could. "We're excited about the momentum," he said.

Mr. House said the enthusiasm, however, could lead to another problem: "Demand may well outstrip supply."

A GameStop spokeswoman confirmed that executives had expressed that sentiment. Amazon representatives didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The enthusiasm comes at an important time for Sony. The company made a profit in the fiscal year ended in March for the first time in five years. Sony has repeatedly said the PlayStation business is a growth driver for the company at a time when its mainstay consumer electronics business is in decline.

There were other indications of Sony's momentum heading out of the E3 show this week that could help to reverse its fortunes in the videogame industry.

Executives from partner game makers said the technology powering the PlayStation 4 is easier to develop products for than in the past, adding that Sony has resolved longstanding complaints that made them less enthusiastic about working with the company. New software, coupled with increased interest among gamers, could help the company gain market share in what has historically been a bifurcated market between Microsoft's Xbox and PlayStation.

Mr. House also said that unlike its rival, Sony will ensure that older games will run on the PlayStation 4 by offering them through a technology called "cloud gaming." Instead of running the titles on the new console itself, the software runs on remote servers that stream the game images and user commands over the Internet.

"There's potential in this area," Mr. House said, adding that other entertainment industries, such as music and movies, have been able to manage sales of their products for decades after they've been initially released. Cloud gaming is one solution, he said. "It's critical for videogames as an industry to figure this out."

Mr. House declined to disclose how much the company has invested in its streaming service after acquiring Gaikai Inc. last year for $380 million. He did say, however, the investment "is not insubstantial."

Either way, Mr. Tretton said, indications are the number of gamers around the world is growing, citing the company's own extensive market studies and a figure that there are a billion gamers in the world, 220 million of whom are in the U.S.

"I think there are more people going from smartphones to tablets to 'Call of Duty' than those going from 'Call of Duty' to smartphones and tablets," he said, referring to the popular war simulation shooting game from Activision Blizzard Inc. "We're clearly betting that the future is very bright for the console

Copyright 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reser

Dude, not cool. If they are your friends, don't call them stupid.

With no camera bundled vs a Kinect bundle, they can be more aggressive with the MSRP down the line as well. Not to mention the long term payoffs of a single RAM chip(s).

This fall's big tentpole release dates as of right now...

SEPTEMBER 17th - Grand Theft Auto V
SEPTEMBER 24th - FIFA 14

OCTOBER 8th - Beyond: Two Souls

OCTOBER 25th - Batman: Arkham Origins
OCTOBER 29th - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
OCTOBER 29th - Battlefield 4

NOVEMBER 5th - Call of Duty: Ghosts
NOVEMBER 19th - Watch_Dogs

I can't see Sony undercutting Beyond by releasing the PS4 the very next week.
But the 22nd of October? Yeah, I could see an early release push happening anytime from there until the 29th when the first big franchise titles with next-gen versions come out.

If it doesn't happen then, I don't see any release happening until at least the 15th of November or so.

Microsoft will definitely release their system on 5th November. Gotta get that COD crowd.

Fact is a whole bunch of people aren't going to care. What I think is more likely to sway the "war" is the price of the consoles.

That's fine they can learn their lesson the hard way while the rest of us enjoy our faster hardware and $100 in our pockets.

gatti-man

The way things are rolling out, MS will have to do something fast or else they are in real trouble.
Better lower that price and swallow that 100. Either way things are looking dark.

The worst part about the extra $100 is that it isn't for better hardware or a better user experience or pack in game. Its to shoe horn in kinect 2, a feature they barely supported this gen. A feature I bought, tried, and fully experienced its mediocrity.

I'm not subsidizing MS's kinect agenda. This will be the first time I won't own both Sony/ms consoles. I just can't stand for MS's tactics. This is a big deal since I've wanted an HD killer instinct since 1997.

SeanR1221

It's not as bad as you think: many (if not the majority) of those titles are indie games (which I acquired with MS points that I got for outrageous deals). And many of them are traded-in now or traded-up for PC versions when I got a gaming level PC. And I purchase used games all the time (heyo!) And remember this was accumulated over YEARS of owning an Xbox 360.

So it's not near as bad as it sounds. Someone else had 300+ games in that other topic and he too is not getting an XBO

Same here.

If xbone was backwards compatible it would be a tough choice.

But the way things stand? The choice is clear.

OK.

You buy the PS4 for $399. On launch day, you pick your system up at the local store and check eBay on your phone and see it's selling for $800. What do you do?

I sell it immediately and then buy another when I can with the profit = free PS4 for me. Immoral? Yes. Legal? Yes. No brainer? For me, yes. I'll sleep at night

Chronoexe

Im in the same situation but in my case only 1 of my group of friends is defending the Xbone like his life depended on it.

gatti-man

I sell it immediately and then buy another when I can with the profit = free PS4 for me. Immoral? Yes. Legal? Yes. No brainer? For me, yes. I'll sleep at night

I don't see it as immoral. Some people have money and just don't care. You have an extra console and went to the trouble of making sure you got plenty. You are getting paid for your preparedness. I can tell you right now if the prices get high I'm selling every console I can get my hands on. Free money is free money.

amazon?...go to the PS4 page...there should be a button to switch between "launch edition" and "standard edition" click launch edition...it should say something up to like "update you purchased this item on June 10, 2013"

if it doesnt...or it says that when your on the "standard edition" then youve got a problem...you can also hit them up on a live chat and the rep will be able to verify for you

Thanks. :D

I have Launch Addition confirmed.

FUCK YES!

:D

jiggle

what i never expected
was all these random/mainstream articles bringing up the drm/24hrs issue
like that bloomberg piece

really thought it would be glossed over or swept under the rug
and i suspect MS did too

I don't see it as immoral. Some people have money and just don't care. You have an extra console and went to the trouble of making sure you got plenty. You are getting paid for your preparedness. I can tell you right now if the prices get high I'm selling every console I can get my hands on. Free money is free money.

Exactly - I'm not forcing anybody to buy it. In fact, I won't actively even list my launch edition Amazon preorder - but the question was if I take it home and see eBay has these going for $800 and people are actually paying that! Yep, i'll list it immediately for a $800 buy it now.

Top Bottom