• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanna feel old?

KiNolin

giphy-3.gif

Ravelle

I had a couple of these when I was a kid - never more than 1 or 2 at the same time, but they got so much usage from me that I needed to switch 'em eventually. My Tetris skills were honed on these beasts, nowadays whenever I jump into a Tetris game I destroy everyone. Thank you Chinese Tetris rip-offs, you've made me who I am today.

Yeah, some of them had around 50 types of tetris on them haha, I knew how tetris worked, like make lines disappear but I was too young to know what a "tetris" was and how it's actually supposed to be played. I have a new love for Tetris ever since I bought Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Yeah, some of them had around 50 types of tetris on them haha, I knew how tetris worked, like make lines disappear but I was too young to know what a "tetris" was and how it's actually supposed to be played. I have a new love for Tetris ever since I bought Puyo Puyo Tetris.

I've found out quickly enough, not having owned a handheld console when I was a kid (I bought a Game Boy Micro when I was like 15-16, that's where I started handhelds) I had to play that, no wonder I became pretty damn good at it.

I remember finding Tetris Blitz (that was the name I think) on Facebook a while ago, a competitive Tetris game for Facebook. In a few hours I got up to the highest ranking online, constantly playing against Asians who, predictably, freaking dominate the game. And I often would win, too. That made me realize how much these handhelds made me insanely good at Tetris. I'll definitely pick up Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch when I get one, too bad there isn't a proper Tetris game on Xbox One (Tetris Ultimate is broken and Puyo Puyo is Japan-only and I can't be arsed to spend 70-80 Euros for importing a copy).

Jacobson

The exact fucking text of the tweet with the video reuploaded to giphy and not just linking the tweet christ

Wait, so you PREFER having to click the twitter link instead of just seeing the gif when you enter the thread? Whatever floats your boat I guess.

TheGrizz

I just dug out my old GBC (Pikachu edition) and let me almost 5 year old son play it. He was amazed, but quickly gave up as most of the games were too difficult for him. He loves the Switch and can play Mario Kart just fine, but most Game Boy games were a bit tricky and not nearly as forgiving as games nowadays (saying 'nowadays' makes me feel old).

Ugh, I'm old.

Aurongel

It doesn't make me feel old because the idea of controlling a game like that with a touch screen has been a shitty experience for a while now.

This reminds when I showed my young cousin an original Gameboy and she complained that the brightness wasn’t up enough. I almost imploded.

Ravelle

I've found out quickly enough, not having owned a handheld console when I was a kid (I bought a Game Boy Micro when I was like 15-16, that's where I started handhelds) I had to play that, no wonder I became pretty damn good at it.

I remember finding Tetris Blitz (that was the name I think) on Facebook a while ago, a competitive Tetris game for Facebook. In a few hours I got up to the highest ranking online, constantly playing against Asians who, predictably, freaking dominate the game. And I often would win, too. That made me realize how much these handhelds made me insanely good at Tetris. I'll definitely pick up Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch when I get one, too bad there isn't a proper Tetris game on Xbox One (Tetris Ultimate is broken and Puyo Puyo is Japan-only and I can't be arsed to spend 70-80 Euros for importing a copy).

Yeah that sucks, I managed to find a decently prized Japanese copy Puyo Puyo Tetris for PS4 when it just came out in Japan.

phyrlord

Not felling old enough?

I'm starting to work with people who are gamers who never played GOLDEN EYE.

I remember being 10, and playing N64 8 hours a day for like an entire summer.

NekoFever

My local pub has one of those arcade cabinets with 50-odd classic arcade games, and you regularly get kids crowding round it, smacking their hands against the screen to try to make a selection.

At least when I was one of those kids, pretending to play the arcade cabs because my dad wouldn't give me any change, I knew how to operate it!

jf DOOM

The first 2 1/2 years of my son's life we did t have cable so he only watched Netflix. When we moved into our new place we set up cable, and turned his favorite show Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on for him. The first commercial that came on he walked up to the screen and tried swiping past, and when that didn't work he turned around with a mixture of equal amounts of anger and confusion on his poor little face.

Lylo

Doesn't really make me feel old though, shows more that her parents let her play with a tablet too much. It's odd that she completely ignore the existing buttons, kids love to press buttons.

I didn't even have a gameboy, that was for "rich people". All I had in long car trips was one these things.

2017-Classic-Childhood-font-b-Tetris-b-font-Game-Hand-Held-LCD-Electronic-Game-Toys-Fun.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, Tetris was pretty damn tight on these things. Quality chinese gaming.

Yes yes young kids don't know how to use old tech. News at 11. Save the salt for when they're old and you can rub it in their faces. My brother is 31 and I love reminding him about it since he used to give me shit about being so old when we were younger(I'm 39). Also I'm sure there was some old dude sitting on a bench watching kids roll wheels with sticks thinking they're lucky cause in his day they had to make due with outrunning a bear or some shit to stay alive.

Top Bottom