• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want the Regular New 3DS in NA? Let Nintendo Know! Find out how in here!

Cream

Banned
The info in this OP is some of my own mixed in with info from a popular reddit post on the issue.

In the Direct, Nintendo announced that the New Nintendo 3DS XL would be released in North America on February 13th. However, we weren't given any information on a potential release of the New Nintendo 3DS REGULAR version (the one with customizable faceplates that was released in Japan and Europe/Australia) As the release date for the XL version is less than one month away, it's very unlikely we will be receiving any new information about this prior to the release of the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

This is the part where you come in! If you live in the US or in the NA market and you were HOPING TO PURCHASE THIS REGULAR VERSION, then I ask you to spend a few minutes of your time and help me let Nintendo KNOW. The number is at the bottom of this post.

You may think this kind of push from a lot of people doesn't go noticed, but whether you think it does or not, I'm here to ASK YOU TO CALL and AT LEAST make your opinion known! Because apparently, the Nintendo Customer Service call center, which is located in Redmond, WA (RIGHT NEXT TO Reggie and all the execs at their US headquarters) doesn't hear us enough.

In Europe, there was a small promotion available to select Club Nintendo members who had the privilege of purchasing an exclusive "Ambassador Edition" REGULAR New Nintendo 3DS. Some may say that convincing Nintendo to distribute a product like this to retailers on a national level would be impossible. I don't know about you, but I am a Club Nintendo member and I would gladly jump at the opportunity to buy a regular version if it was offered directly through Nintendo via a similar promotion to the one in Europe. In my call to Customer Service, I gave this as a "Suggestion."

So whether you're going to call because you want to "Complain" about how you can't get it and would have preferred to, or whether you want to make a "Suggestion" to sell it directly to fans through a promotion similar to the one in Europe, PLEASE CALL and help me to let them know! The number is 1-800-255-3700 I pressed 5 (General), then 4 (Console Availability) on the automated system.

EDIT: Wow, it looks like we really swamped them! Thank you so much to everyone that called in. Based on responses in this thread, everyone who was working at the call center today really felt the wave. (Bless those poor employees, I'm sure they had to put up with a lot and were probably doing the best they could with their limited info/tools.)

A little background here, I worked in a call center for a few years myself, and our operations manager had to keep a daily report of what the main contributors were for the call volume that day. And trust me, having even just 20 people call in about the same thing makes a buzz in the office, and that passes to their managers and those managers have to report it to their bosses. These guys are literally a stone's throw from Reggie's office. There's no way this isn't getting noticed.

I hope the calls don't stop just cause the day has ended. On the other hand though, I'd like to encourage everyone to focus their efforts on SUBMITTING FEEDBACK. Specify this to the agent you speak to, and it will make their job easier. I know how stressful it can be having to take these sort of calls--your hands are tied, you can't change the way things are, and you only have so many options. So, when you call, make sure you FOCUS ON giving Nintendo FEEDBACK. You'll be allowing the agent a way to give you a "resolution", without having to repeat the same line they already said to fifty other people. AND you'll be directly passing the message on.

If you have any opinion at all, PLEASE submit it to Nintendo! Calling in would likely be the best way, as it's literally making your voice heard. If you want to use other methods however, or are otherwise unable to call, then the means are here below.

Nintendo Customer Service
  • Suggested method: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask. They suggested filing it in Nintendo 3DS --> Purchases & Downloads --> Can't place order.
  • Phone: 1-800-255-3700 (6:00am-7:00pm PST. Option 5 for General, then 4 for Console Availability.) If you're having difficulty getting through to a representative, you may need to call again.
  • E-mail: nintendo@noa.nintendo.com (confirmed to be the best e-mail for the issue)
  • Chat: [link] (6:00AM-6:30PM PST)
  • Twitter: https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica (You can also tag with #OperationFaceplateNA)
  • Physical Mailing Address: Nintendo of America / PO Box 957 / Redmond, WA 98073-0957 (Also Reggie's fan-mail address)

And don't forget about Miiverse!
tSnIF1t.png

Calling and emails really are the best options. Any of these are. But if you really don't have the time you can sign at least one or all of these three petitions:
  1. [link] (Currently closer to goal)
  2. [link] (Larger amount of supporters)

You can also show your support on the Operation FacePlate facebook page.

I want to note that the limited edition Majora's Mask New 3DSXL is creating a high call volume as well. Be sure to create a clear distinction by specifying that your call is regarding the REGULAR New 3DS, and (if applicable) your disinterest in the XL version. And remember to focus on having the representative SUBMIT FEEDBACK. They have tools to do this, and some call center reps reportedly haven't used them in quite some time.

For the non-believers out there, a reminder: if the entire call center (or at least the majority of it) is aware of the increase in call volume, the operations manager or the manager for the site IS ALSO going to be aware of the increase, and will want to know what the calls are about, and may even be OBLIGATED to pass this info on to superiors.

Once again, CALLING IN has a much more significant effect than simply making internet noise. In the call center world, this is referred to as "call volume", referring to the amount of calls. Although I think that name can also describe the distinct loudness of our message. Increase call "volume" = increase the "volume" of our message!

Personally, I feel that if you feel strongly about this, DO NOT give in and buy the XL version.

I know it may seem like Nintendo doesn't care, and never will care about these kinds of complaints. But every voice counts. There has to be someone high-up that is even contemplating selling the regular sized new 3DS in NA. Let them know you want it!

Mononoke

Banned
Given how quick people have come together for other issues, I would hope enough consumers could come together for this. If the demands is really there. Show NoA they misread their market.

kaioshade

Lets hope this picks up steam. I contacted Nintendo of America several times about a Fatal Frame localization, but obviously one voice wont matter compared to this. I have both XLs on preorder, but would love the regular sized N3DS as well.

Some of the responses from the reps have been pretty positive, with one I spoke to saying that the smaller system is supposed to come out here at some point. But they have also been surprised just how many calls and emails they have received. If we all band together and keep up the momentum, we could possibly hear an official response from the comapny at some point.

backlot

I really want one of these. I don't care how they do it as long as they make them available in America somehow.

I really doubt the decision not to release the regular n3DS on Feb 13 was a "we think NA customers don't want it" move. As such, I really doubt a petition is going to get them to do anything, since their decision isn't based on their opinion on whether the product is viable in NA but [more likely] on what they think would be best for their division performance/channel management capacity given that 3DS has been a trainwreck in NA LTD.

Someone is always ready to come in and say "retailers dont want so many SKUs" or "theres limited shelf space"

Its 20-fucking-15

You know where theres no limited shelf space? The internet.

Why can't Nintendo at the very least sell the regular 3DS and all the "unpopular" amiibos online? Either through their website or a partner website? Hell, use fucking ebay.

They could also easily find retailer partners that are willing to make the space available. Maybe Toys R Us would stock the small one because, hey, their customers are small children with small hands and they dont want to hold a fucking brick. Maybe Gamestop would stock it because theyre a fucking game store and they even made room for the N-gage.

If Target or Best Buy dont want more SKUs....great. They dont have to carry it.

That doesnt mean NOBODY should get it.

Nintendo did this with Elektroplankton, so its not revolutionary for them.

I don't think this will change everything.
They must have some pretty solid sales figures about 3DS vs 3DSXL to make this (apparently weird) decision.

I don't remember the last time I saw a regular 3DS around here.

I just called the suggestion line and suggested it. The rep was very responsive to the idea.

I was worried it would seem like I was wasting their time but he seemed to agree that it should be available.

ghibli99

I would honestly be okay with it if Nintendo sold the regular size to order online.
Same here. Consumer options are good, and despite the stereotype, not every damn American has giant hands, and those of us with smaller hands would appreciate the non-XL.

And no, we don't smell like cabbage.

I'll give them a call later today and probably send Reggie snail mail. I'm glad to hear that this is gaining momentum though. Keep it up everyone!

aparisi2274

The XL is outselling the std version in Japan by 2-1. In the US the current XL is outselling the std edition by and even wider margin and I'm pretty sure the 2DS is outselling it as well.

With numbers like that I can see why NOA has no interest in releasing the std version in the states.

Maybe NOA might make it available via their own web store or at the Nintendo Store in NYC.

Someone is always ready to come in and say "retailers dont want so many SKUs" or "theres limited shelf space"

Its 20-fucking-15

What, do you think Nintendo just uploads all their unsold stock to their OneDrive account?

Jayne

I'm with you guys on this. I only hope that Nintendo receive enough feedback to get this thing a release over here. Even if it's an online only or ambassador edition, any form of NA release at this point would be lovely.

tim.mbp

The XL is outselling the std version in Japan by 2-1. In the US the current XL is outselling the std edition by and even wider margin and I'm pretty sure the 2DS is outselling it as well.

With numbers like that I can see why NOA has no interest in releasing the std version in the states.

Maybe NOA might make it available via their own web store or at the Nintendo Store in NYC.

Do you have any numbers to back this up?

I really doubt the decision not to release the regular n3DS on Feb 13 was a "we think NA customers don't want it" move. As such, I really doubt a petition is going to get them to do anything, since their decision isn't based on their opinion on whether the product is viable but [more likely] on what they think would be best for their division performance given that 3DS has been a trainwreck in NA LTD.

I agree. If I may put this into my thoughs:

The n3DSXL is the model without faceplates, therefore, it is going to get limited/special editions (as seen with the Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter versions). Nintendo is banking on the probability that many of its XL consumers will fall over themselves trying to get these special editions (given the new ones are already sold out, they pretty much hit that nail on the head). But if they took the time to think about it, yes the smaller model would be less expensive, but if those that purchased the smaller model invested in the cover plates (let's say priced between $10-$20 depending on rarity or design) then the owners of the smaller models could in fact end up spending more money than those whom just buy the standard or special edition XLs. Unless an XL owner is fonna trade in every time a new design comes out or willing to spend $200 out of pocket each time, then most owners will be a "one and done" deal.

By all acounts, the XL outsells the standard size in ALL territories. So, by that logic, why bother releasing the smaller system in ANY market outside of Japan at all? Even though the New XL is more popular than the small model in Japan, the small model is still selling thousands each week.

El Sabroso

I would rather suggest faceplates or better editions to XL, nobody would buy the standard model if it weren't from the faceplates to begin with

Mononoke

Banned
Do you have any numbers to back this up?

Am curious to see numbers too. Not having numbers though, I have to imagine this is the case in order for Nintendo to have made this decision. For all the crap we give them about questionable decisions, this is a pretty major one. And sales seems to be the thing that would decide that. But yes, speculation.

Mononoke

Banned
By all acounts, the XL outsells the standard size in ALL territories. So, by that logic, why bother releasing the smaller system in ANY market outside of Japan at all? Even though the New XL is more popular than the small model in Japan, the small model is still selling thousands each week.

I don't have figures. But maybe in othe regions, the smaller ones still sell enough that it's worth releasing it? Like even though the XL outsells in all regions, maybe they sell much less in the U.S.?

But if they took the time to think about it, yes the smaller model would be less expensive, but if those that purchased the smaller model invested in the cover plates (let's say priced between $10-$20 depending on rarity or design) then the owners of the smaller models could in fact end up spending more money than those whom just buy the standard or special edition XLs.

I expect the regular n3DS will come out eventually, whenever they can sell it at the actual entry-level price point (around $130-150) and therefore actually capture a sufficiently differentiated chunk of consumers (rather than just releasing two SKUs, one of which performs better than the other). Maybe they'll bill it as the n3DS lite in NA or something, too.

Somnid

Does Nintendo of America have a precedent of listening to fan movements?

Yeah. I think in some cases these decisions are made with numbers but if you get a fan movement hyping stuff up you can build new cases for certain things as well as increase interest beyond initial estimates. Notably, Operation Rainfall and 1080up have actually produced results.

I don't have figures. But maybe in othe regions, the smaller ones still sell enough that it's worth releasing it? Like even though the XL outsells in all regions, maybe they sell much less in the U.S.?

Aside from online retailers or smaller mom and pop game shops, the small system has looong since been non-existent in a lot of places. Nintendo only recently announced the discontinuation of the small model but well before that the standard size is nowhere to be found.

Many people I know, actually only upgraded from a standard to an XL because the boxy design was uncomfortable for them after extended periods of play. But having seen the smaller "new" system and the fact that it is better designed, they were willing to go back to a smaller system upon official release. And I've heard many of these same sentiments on the internet

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I swear watch this actually work

and the regular sized model sells like shit and then nintendo of america never listens to us again

Bilix

Do the numbers really matter? The New 3DS is a bit bigger than the OG one. It seems like a nice in-between.

Cryxok

Will support this as much as I can. Never really liked XL models. I simply hope that, if we get a response, is before or shortly after the N3DS Xl release so I can decide before buying (as I should be able to)

Show NoA they misread their market.

NoA seems to be misreading their market on a daily basis it seems. They pretty much need someone in their meetings to just say "YOU'RE WRONG" whenever they try to make an executive decision like this lol.

I don't actually want the regular N3DS though, hope it works out for the ones that do.

BooJoh

Just sent them an email.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to provide my feedback as a dissatisfied US customer of Nintendo.

I was really looking forward to the smaller New 3DS model with the changeable cover plates. I have tried the standard 3DS XL previously and found the large size to be off-putting, so I decided to wait it out until a new small model was released. Imagine my delight when the New 3DS was announced in Japan and there was a smaller model, and it had cool changeable covers as well!

As Australia and Europe got confirmation of the system in those territories my excitement built, until finally NOA announced a Nintendo Direct. I knew it was the one I'd been waiting for.

After watching the NOA Direct I was left with so much disappointment, knowing that both Japan and Europe are getting the smaller New 3DS model I want, but America isn't. I can't even import one because the systems are region-locked and wouldn't be compatible with my games.

I'm writing today to formally submit my feedback and let NOA know that there is a market for the smaller model in America. Whether it's people like me who prefer the smaller form factor and extra portability, or people who want it for other reasons (like younger audiences who have much smaller hands, making the XL models unwieldy.)

Even if the system was only made available online or from specific retailers, it would be better than not having the option at all.

Thanks for your time,
[Real Name]

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Personally, I have a weird feeling it will be announced by E3. But it is an amazing handheld so I hope NA gets to enjoy it too.

Even if this doesn't do anything, I think it's important that we speak our minds when it comes to issues like this. I will be contacting Nintendo as soon as I can.

Its 20-fucking-15

Why can't Nintendo at the very least sell the regular 3DS and all the "unpopular" amiibos online? Either through their website or a partner website? Hell, use fucking ebay.

They could also easily find retailer partners that are willing to make the space available. Maybe Toys R Us would stock the small one because, hey, their customers are small children with small hands and they dont want to hold a fucking brick. Maybe Gamestop would stock it because theyre a fucking game store and they even made room for the N-gage.

If Target or Best Buy dont want more SKUs....great. They dont have to carry it.

That doesnt mean NOBODY should get it.

Nintendo did this with Elektroplankton, so its not revolutionary for them.

I completely agree. This was an awful way to go about this. Having the systems at least available online would have been the perfect compromise.

My reply from NoA said that all my thoughts and comments have been logged and forwarded to other departments.

I mean, they still the normal "more choices" PR but at least our comments are going somewhere.

BooJoh

I would rather suggest faceplates or better editions to XL, nobody would buy the standard model if it weren't from the faceplates to begin with

This is just false logic. There are plenty of us who really wanted the smaller unit, and even held off on getting the OG XL because we wanted to keep a smaller system, and the cover plates were just an added bonus for the n3DS, not the main selling point for most of us.

Just received a response from an email I had sent yesterday:

TROvHo1.jpg

It's for the most part saying the same thing they said in their response to IGN but I would say do not get discouraged if you receive the same response. It means that someone is reading the consumer feedback even if they end up copy pasting their response.

In the long run, let us all just keep up the momentum!

Top Bottom