• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Half Of GOP Voters Would Support Postponing 2020 Elections

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Again: Projection.

This is what the right screamed Obama would do for years.

HylianTom

Banned
GOP voters are right in line with their reps. Purging voter rolls, fighting against the spread of early voting, encouraging day-long waits to vote in certain locations, voter ID, etc.

They will do anything to win. They're buying time, because they know that unless something happens to change demographic voting patterns, they're toast in a decade or two. Watch their methods get even more creative and extreme as we continue down this timeline.

Oriel

Again: Projection.

This is what the right screamed Obama would do for years.

On another forum I was on there was a Republican who swore on his life that Obama would try and run for a third term. I pointed out that the constitution prohibits presidential third terms and he still insisted Obama would override the constitution and stand again. Fucking lunatics!

Based on the last numbers I saw about 26% of the population consider themselves Republicans. Cut that in half and you are looking at 13% of people who are in favor of this. Not a significant segment of the population. 10-15% of every population is crazy.

Naked tribalism has eroded belief in democratic principles in this country over the last couple decades. "My side winning" is more important than democracy to a growing number of people.

If it happens citizen militias need to be formed all across the country. We either fight these authoritarians or we watch our country be destroyed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Based on the last numbers I saw about 26% of the population consider themselves Republicans. Cut that in half and you are looking at 13% of people who are in favor of this. Not a significant segment of the population. 10-15% of every population is crazy.

It included 'lean towards' as well as 'identify with', which is closer to 48%, making this about 25% of voting-age Americans.

It included 'lean towards' as well as 'identify with', which is closer to 48%, making this about 25% of voting-age Americans.

Fair enough, but 75% is an overwhelming number and Trump isn't gaining any support he is losing it. I think we all know his base is full of sheep/idiots.

I don't think even a packed SC would allow it.
There is no chance they would. Doubt they would even hear it TBH. The SCOTUS can be political about certain issues but for the overwhelming majority they make very rational decisions. Remember things like abortion, gay marriage, and the muslim ban, while highly immoral/unethical on the conservative side, have legitimate legal arguments either way.

Ask GOP hypothetical questions - Get answers - Outrage

remember we also had the the "Majority of Democrats want 3rd term for Obama" ( also unconstitutional) minus the Gaf outrage

On another forum I was on there was a Republican who swore on his life that Obama would try and run for a third term. I pointed out that the constitution prohibits presidential third terms and he still insisted Obama would override the constitution and stand again. Fucking lunatics!

I think a part of the driving anti-democratic thrust among these people is the misplaced belief that there already was a tyrannical dictator named Obama, and now it's their turn.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think even a packed SC would allow it.

Depends. He could pack it with Steve Bannon, Jeeves Cannon, Reeves Fallon, "Sleeves" Gallon, and so on - if 25% of America supports this, it would be hard to find 10 people to pack a court.

Ask GOP hypothetical questions - Get answers - Outrage

remember we also had the the "Majority of Democrats want 3rd term for Obama" ( also unconstitutional) minus the Gaf outrage

How many gaf members advocated for Obama to ignore constitutional law? If more than a few did I must have missed it.

EBreda

Was this a thing ever suggested by Republicans/Trump or are we literally giving them evil ideas now?

Exactly. Seems WaPo is throwing ideas out so when Trump team goes with it, they say "See, we told you so ".

Please don't give them stupider ideas.

We need some major election reform. Drop the Electoral College, it obviously doesn't do what it was designed to do. Lower age of candidacy for the House from 25 to 18, Senate from 30 to 25, and Presidency from 35 to 25. Add experience requirements, like at least one term in any state or federal level elected office, x number of years as a commissioned officer in the military, or a bachelor's degree in American history or political science. We have to make sure that any futire president has some understanding of how our government functions.

Vyse24

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've heard if martial law is declared, the president cannot be unseated under any circumstances.

If that's true, would anyone be surprised if he loses in 2020 and it gets declared before January 20th?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've heard if martial law is declared, the president cannot be unseated under any circumstances.

If that's true, would anyone be surprised if he loses in 2020 and it gets declared before January 20th?
Nothing in the Constitution allows for this. At the very most he could suspend habeas corpus and mass incarcerate registered democrats without cause. But that's like Martians landing in the Rose Garden levels of unlikely, I hope.

It doesn't matter if only 26% of people consider themselves Republicans. They actually go out and vote, so that 13% is going to be responsible for us becoming a dictatorship

JoeBoy101

A postponing of an election should need an actual emergency and not a manufactured one. And certainly not a half-assed floater of an idea like 'ensuring that only eligible votes will vote'.

Wondering how the outrage here measures with those wishing there were no term limits and keeping Obama in for life...

That idea and this idea are both bad. A postponing of an election should need an actual emergency and not a manufactured one. And certain line a half-assed floater of an idea like 'ensuring that only eligible votes will vote'.

Who are you talking about? You can't make up strawmen just for the sake of your bizarre comparison

I'm expecting 2020 to be most blatantly rigged US election in history, if Trump isn't impeached before then. The shit Russia pulled in 2016 is going to be dialed up to 11 if Trump and the GOP believe it will fall in their favor.

Voter suppression had a much bigger impact than the Russians, but most people don't give a shit since it doesn't target them or show up in their social media.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Wondering how the outrage here measures with those wishing there were no term limits and keeping Obama in for life...

That idea and this idea are both bad. A postponing of an election should need an actual emergency and not a manufactured one. And certain line a half-assed floater of an idea like 'ensuring that only eligible votes will vote'.

If you can't see the different between wishing Americans could vote for the same Presidential candidate more than two terms vs. being ok with a sitting president suspending elections to remain in power.... I don't know what to tell you.

Nothing in the Constitution allows for this. At the very most he could suspend habeas corpus and mass incarcerate registered democrats without cause. But that's like Martians landing in the Rose Garden levels of unlikely, I hope.

I'm pretty sure the President only has the right to suspend habeas corpus under a rebellion or invasion when the public safety requires it. So I don't think he could do that in this circumstance.

I need receipts when Dems or Obama claimed that the 25th Ammendment was fake news, or that the existence of White people at polling stations was an existential threat to the Republic.

But the Trumps and his GOP ball-washers claimed, without evidence that there are millions of fraudulent votes in CA and NY. GTFO

Bzzt, beep, boop, running "both sides are the same" protocol

WyWIDhp.gif

Surprised this hasn't been run into the ground here with how many idiotic GOP/Trump headlines or quotes come in.

These are likely to be people that are deeply convinced they are victims in a culture war that is suppressing their ability to express themselves as political individuals.

They'll do whatever it takes to stay in power.

I distinctly remember that there were also a lot of conspiracy theorists screaming that GW Bush was planning to postpone elections to remain in power.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm expecting 2020 to be most blatantly rigged US election in history, if Trump isn't impeached before then. The shit Russia pulled in 2016 is going to be dialed up to 11 if Trump and the GOP believe it will fall in their favor.
This is what I fear. I fear the results from Russia's cyber-attack will propel them to double down super hard leading up until 2020.

Its going to get ugly(er)

BSsBrolly

Banned
I distinctly remember that there were also a lot of conspiracy theorists screaming that GW Bush was planning to postpone elections to remain in power.

There always is this fear with a sitting president from the opposing party. The difference is that 50% of the current administrations party is ok with their president suspending elections. That's a terrifying prospect.

Tawpgun

I don't see how this is news beyond making democrats feel good about themselves.

Trump literally bragged about sexual assault and his supporters didn't care

Trump did [x awful thing] and his supporters didn't care

Top Bottom