• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe

Maxim726X

I get the feeling that we're not too far away from the "Trump didn't know what he was doing, he's new to all of this" excuse being used.

Not sure anyone is going to care when he was using his position to force false statements from the IC.

Whether you're new to this or not, that's a clear line that you shouldn't cross.

RPGCrazied

Doesn't look good. Specially when you put Trump asking Comey for his loyalty then firing him for feeling pressure on Russia.

I bet Mike Pence has a speech already written for when he becomes the president.

You would think that Pence would have been working hard over the last month to distance himself from Trump, but he really hasn't done that. If Trump actually goes down, I don't think Pence survives. It seems like he is stitched into this scandal as well.

Trump's lawyers must be exasperated. The cover up is always worse. It's possible Trump could have escaped all of this simply because he may not have committed an actual crime, even if his campaign colluded with Russia. But now he's wading deep into obstruction territory.

David___

Banned
Even if somehow Trump isn't implicated directly with the Russian investigation there's plenty of stuff they can nail him with regarding to OoJ.

I really don't know how it could be any clearer.

He demanded loyalty of the chief investigator and later fired him. He pushed IC officials to shut down any investigations of Flynn and collusion and asked them to make false statements to the press in an effort to avoid a special prosecutor.

Trump has stated his motivations and intentions both on national TV and in notes of his conversation with the Russians in the oval office. And we have dated memos with multiple corroborations.

What in the world is needed beyond this?

23 Republican representatives willing to vote for impeachment, and 19 Republican Senators willing to vote for removal.

Two weeks ago, that seemed completely impossible. Now, it only seems improbable. Who knows? Maybe by the time Mueller's investigation results are shown, they'll be chomping at the bit to be rid of Trump.

ChuChu

So he spends months attacking the intelligence community and then asks around to help him disrupt one of their own investigations? lol?

Clear attempt at obstruction of justice.

LOCK.
HIM.
UP.

This.

Repeated attempts too.

I really don't know how it could be any clearer.

He demanded loyalty of the chief investigator and later fired him. He pushed IC officials to shut down any investigations of Flynn and collusion and asked them to make false statements to the press in an effort to avoid a special prosecutor.

Trump has stated his motivations and intentions both on national TV and in notes of his conversation with the Russians in the oval office. And we have dated memos with multiple corroborations.

What in the world is needed beyond this?

Yup.

I was just reading this on WaPo, and about to post it then I saw this thread lol.

Keep on digging please, dig your grave Trump administration and family.

Also republicans dig your graves.

There must come a point where the GOP will have to take a position/stand. That will be an interesting day.

I can see that day. It will be the day a Democrat is back as president and he or she forgets to say "god bless you" after a sneeze. The time to impeachment would make one's head spin.

Jotaka

EVRaQb7.gif

In addition to the requests to Coats and Rogers, senior White House officials sounded out top intelligence officials about the possibility of intervening directly with Comey to encourage the FBI to drop its probe of Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, according to people familiar with the matter. The officials said the White House appeared uncertain about its power to influence the FBI.

“Can we ask him to shut down the investigation? Are you able to assist in this matter?” one official said of the line of questioning from the White House.

"Hi, umm... I'm calling on behalf of the Office of the President, and I know this is probably... unconventional, but the President had some requests, and..."

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Right, right. So, uh... I'm just going to go verbatim here... 'can we crimes'?"

"No."

"Right, of course. I figured that was the case, but you know--"

Wow. For the first time since this Tyson-esque barrage of hits started I actually feel like he might be going down. Like for real this time. Feels weird man.

Effect

Just let it all come out. So did republicans get a chance to wave this away before the Manchester coverage started?

As Trump is about to find out, the crime itself might not be able to get you but the cover up will. This is another incident of obstruction of justice that is being corroborated by James Comey.

Boogie9IGN

I'm loving watchin WaPo and NYT try their damnedest to see who can bring down the administration quicker, that's the type of healthy rivalry we need

This is all in character with Trump too. He literally thinks that he is king and that whoever he hired for government positions need to be his yes men.

Joe

GOP movement on Trump starts if/when his approval rating among Republicans hits 70%.

It'll start going faster if/when it hits 60%.

Or so I've read.

Sorry John Oliver, this ain't over.

That said, so long as the GOP controls Congress, nothing will happen. :(

Sorry John Oliver, this ain't over.

That said, so long as the GOP controls Congress, nothing will happen. :(

That's fine. They can either do it themselves or let the Dems run on the platform of 'Impeach Trump' and likely win in 2018. A year and a half of this shit will mobilize progressives way better than any platform ever could. Not healthcare, not minimum wage, not abortion but Trump.

Trump and the GOP will be paralyzed to do anything else too damaging anyway to fend this off. This also lets the GOP dig in their heels even deeper and ties them to Trump even more.

Ernest

Banned
A friend said he thinks Trump will resign by the end of the summer and I'm more and more inclined to agree with each news barrage. Plus he already looks like a dead man walking, there are reports of stamina issues. Dude is gonna cut and run at the first opportunity. That way he can claim victimhood and victory (since he left on his own terms).
After he's impeached/resigns, Trump, during a TV interview, will look straight into the camera and say that he was never president.

Top Bottom