• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
IMO Dems need to focus less on Trump/Russia and more on their platform, policies and candidates. IMO the Dem reps going to GOP no show Town Halls is the smartest move I've seen yet, but it will take a lot more.

I worry about focusing on Russia to the point where people still feel forgotten and don't show.

Wow, that is awesome I didn't realize this is happening but it is a brilliant move and I hope it continues.

gaugebozo

If things keep going the way they are, there is little in major legislation they will be able to get through. They'll be able to screw with federal agencies and appointments but pretty much any legislation is dead in the water. Despite having all that control, the Republican Party is so fractured they could barely pass a healthcare bill in the House. One which they know will die in the Senate so they have yet to even bother sending it to the Senate. Anything on taxes will probably end up in a similar situation.
Who is going to want to have the stink of being appointed by Trump on them?

digdug2k

A friend said he thinks Trump will resign by the end of the summer and I'm more and more inclined to agree with each news barrage. Plus he already looks like a dead man walking, there are reports of stamina issues. Dude is gonna cut and run at the first opportunity. That way he can claim victimhood and victory (since he left on his own terms).
I bet he finds a doctor to claim he has to quit because of some condition, but that would involve admitting his body isn't perfect... I'm so curious to see how/if he does this.

I bet he finds a doctor to claim he has to quit because of some condition, but that would involve admitting his body isn't perfect... I'm so curious to see how/if he does this.

shouldn't be that hard to find a doctor who will put their name to that.

I mean, he even found a doctor who said he had 'astonishingly good health'!

Pence won't toss away our foreign alliances for mother Russia as Trump has done though and any damage he does in the short term locally can be fixed.

Remember, Trump is the man who pissed off the Australian PM, told Mexico it was going to pay for the wall, told Germany it owed back money for defenses, and said NATO was obsolete. Oh and let's not forget the recent Israel intelligence leaks to Russia.

Foreign alliances and trust are the far bigger thing at stake because it's much harder to rebuild.

Let's not forget, if proof is found about Russian collusion, we're going to enter an age that'll make the McCarthy trials look tame.

I just want Ryan and Pence taken down too... and McConnell. Is that too much to ask? :/

Ah, wasn't that the same way he got out of being drafted for the Vietnam War? Some sort of foot condition, right?

gcubed

Crafty dangerous vs batshit dangerous. We really don't win either way.

Pence and the GOP will be dead in the water and only keeping the seat warm until they are gone in 2020

The way it's going now I'd expect the GOP to lose the house in 2018 so it's definitely DOA for anyone who is in that seat.

Source?
This is news to me, and google didn't get me anywhere.

It's just math, which I hope I did right. :)

It takes a majority vote in the House to impeach, and a 2/3 vote in the Senate after that to remove. That's how many Republican votes it would take to reach those numbers, assuming all Democrats were in favor.

still will not get impeached. watch republicans defending him until late 2019
Pence and the GOP will be dead in the water and only keeping the seat warm until they are gone in 2020

The way it's going now I'd expect the GOP to lose the house in 2018 so it's definitely DOA for anyone who is in that seat.

depends on the turnout. democrat leaning voters have been bad at that

Binabik15

A Democratic President would likely have been literally assassinated or taken hostage by armed Fox News drones militias at this point.

Americans, get out on the streets and march against against Dumb Donnie the Traitor Trump. Take one of the precious few vacation days government regulations force your employer to give you, it's your COUNTRY getting fucked by that guy.

mcfrank

A Democratic President would likely have been literally assassinated or taken hostage by armed Fox News drones militias at this point.

Americans, get out on the streets and march against against Dumb Donnie the Traitor Trump. Take one of the precious few vacation days government regulations force your employer to give you, it's your COUNTRY getting fucked by that guy.

We've had one of, if not the, biggest protests in American history.

Cipherr

But he's smarter and more dangerous to be honest. He could rally the GOP together way more then Trump could and he's more sinister.

You don't really 'rally' anything after a President has been unseated in your party. You get a replacement whose a lame duck, and you get wrecked in the next election by the opposing party. Pence will be the least of our worries if Trump gets the boot or has to step down due to scandals.

I wonder what Hillary would do if Trump ends up being impeached and the Russia thing is proven. The election was literally stolen from her.

I've been thinking about it all month and I can't come up with a single one liner satisfying enough for her to drop.

How do you fit crooked, low stamina, lock up, puppet and so many more into a single mega mic drop moment?

This thread feels like it should be bigger than it is. I guess people are tired of the build up of the same kind of news.
IMO Dems need to focus less on Trump/Russia and more on their platform, policies and candidates. IMO the Dem reps going to GOP no show Town Halls is the smartest move I've seen yet, but it will take a lot more.

I worry about focusing on Russia to the point where people still feel forgotten and don't show.
Omg is this really happening??

Ah, this line:

“The problem wasn’t so much asking them to issue statements, it was asking them to issue false statements about an ongoing investigation,” a former senior intelligence official said of the request to Coats.

mAcOdIn

This thread feels like it should be bigger than it is. I guess people are tired of the build up of the same kind of news.
The thread title's underwhelming because we knew weeks ago that Trump asked members of the intelligence community to get out there in public and refute the collusion points in the media.

The real news of this story isn't(clearly) reflected in the thread title and has to do with Trump's administration apparently asking those same people, along with others, if they could directly hinder or halt the investigation. If the title of the thread was clearly about that the thread would be bigger.

mAcOdIn

I felt that was sort of a confirmation collision happened.... but I could be reading into it to much
I think that's too open ended a statement personally. It could mean anything form yes collusion happened and they knew it, which I really want to doubt because it'd be terrifying if they knew for a matter of fact that a President colluded with any foreign power and they sat on it for months, to they just didn't want to actively go out and refute statements they they don't personally know to be false. Telling them to go out there and push back publicly against the collusion charges could destroy their credibility if a few months down the line it turned out to be true so I imagine they just didn't want to commit to something if they didn't know 100% themselves whether it was true or not.

Which is just as fucking terrifying. When members of your own intelligence community don't have enough faith in you to come out and squash a rumor like that because, heck maybe it's true, how little fucking faith and respect you must have from those people? It should be such an outlandish theory that anyone'd feel comfortable arguing the President's case on TV. I hope future candidates take note, these type of laws and rules aren't just in place to prevent these acts from happening, they're to prevent the appearance of these acts from happening, no-one should even suspect the President of collusion with Russia or any other country and that people don't feel 100% sure he didn't is a travesty in itself.

Sheroking

This is exactly why the Dems need to remind the public about health care, etc.

I get where you're coming from, but I think you're wrong-headed here. The insane unpopularity of the incumbent administration and a massive scandal like Russiagate will do more to get people to show up and vote than appealing to individuals on a policy level.

Policy wasn't what drove a huge Dem win in the 2006 midterms. The Iraq War and the general unpopularity of George W Bush carried that. There's not going to be a motivation problem for the left considering the daily deluge of bullshit they've seen less than 4 months in Trump's presidency.

Haunted

This is already so much bigger and so much worse than Watergate ever was in terms of corruption, deceit and illegality. It's actually kind of incredible if Trump isn't removed from power and would be another testament to those that think that the US have already become a somewhat undemocratic banana republic. If your touted "checks and balances" do not suffice to oust a clearly corrupt and possibly compromised politician from office, what's the point, really?

I know that the political climate in the US has changed and (politically speaking) it's become much tougher to see justice done against a representative of one party in this ultra-partisan environment, but still. Anyone hesitating on the GOP side should carefully consider their eventual place in history.

There's likely to be a dam break when it becomes clear that prosecution will go through and will succeed, where everyone and his dog who has anything the least bit incriminating on Trump starts coming forward to try and disassociate themselves from him.

I'm stocking up on popcorn supplies.

Zolo

There's likely to be a dam break when it becomes clear that prosecution will go through and will succeed, where everyone and his dog who has anything the least bit incriminating on Trump starts coming forward to try and disassociate themselves from him.

I'm stocking up on popcorn supplies.

It can only succeed if the GOP let it. At least with Trump anyway. Trump can then pardon anyone else.

I love how Trump seem to ask everybody " please say that I'm nice and smart and not guilty. Please say something nice to them about me ! They are so mean, please tell them ! "

Truly a man child

Zolo

I love how Trump seem to ask everybody " please say that I'm nice and smart and not guilty. Please say something nice to them about me ! They are so mean, please tell them ! "

Truly a man child
Netanyahu knew what he was doing.
http://freebeacon.com/politics/mic-...ahus-discussing-mutual-disdain-for-the-press/
"I talk every place about her, how great she is and how great you are," Mrs. Netanyahu said.

"I can testify to that," the prime minister said.

Mrs. Netanyahu then took a shot at the media and said that they hate the Netanyahus, but that the Israeli people love them.

"Because the majority of the people in Israel, unlike the media, they love us so we tell them how you are great, so they love you," Mrs. Netanyahu said.

Trump chimed in and said that he and the Netanyahus have "very much in common."

"Sounds familiar," Mr. Netanyahu said.

"We will talk about it at dinner," Mrs. Netanyahu told Trump. "A lot in common. The same media. Anyhow, we'll talk about it."

paskowitz

Trump/Russia is dominating the news cycle, it would honestly be pretty foolish to not focus on it since it's such a hot topic right now. I mean, I don't disagree pure say, but now definitely isn't the time to walk back Russia talk.

And I think the news is better at dealing with Trump/Russia. The news will get out there and people will see it regardless of any Dem statements or positioning. "While Trump is busy shooting himself in the foot, we will focus on the American people, the economy and American jobs." And don't let that messaging up until 2020. Even if they can't pass anything. Doesn't matter.

Wow, that is awesome I didn't realize this is happening but it is a brilliant move and I hope it continues.

Bless Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.). I don't always agree with him, but this is just plain smart. If GOP wants to avoid the problems they are creating, let Dems fill the void. Dems should be doing this up and down pink districts.

That is brilliant. Any recent videos/articles on that?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Its my fear as well. i had not heard about the GOP no show town hall thing though. That is a great move.

A Pence presidency would return the Republican Party to pre-Trump Russian policy. He'd have to make it clear he isn't tied to Putin and also reassuring global allies. I'd expect more sanctions or some type of aggressive stance.

Of course the problem would be that Pence isn't likable, isn't charismatic, and it would be impossible for him to shake off the stench of a Trump impeachment/treason/etc. The Republican Party will be fine in the long term, but Pence would suffer in the short term by not being re-elected.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Related news from today's testimony from Coats:

Igor Bobic‏Verified account @igorbobic

Coats re: reports Trump asked him to shoot down Russia probe: "not appropriate for me to comment on any of that"

"Does anyone wanna help me commit a crime here? Anyone?"

So dumb. So, so fucking dumb.

I genuinely think he might be legally mentally challenged. Like actual mental retardation.

Tovarisc

9tiSZfX.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867020886347481088

Don't have to even get him for collusion. Just get him for obstruction of justice.

imagine if he's actually innocent of collusion, if he really has no illegal dealings with any Russian figures.. i think he really is stupid enough to try and stop the investigation while being innocent. he's just such a complete clueless idiot.

imagine if he's actually innocent of collusion, if he really has no illegal dealings with any Russian figures.. i think he really is stupid enough to try and stop the investigation while being innocent. he's just such a complete clueless idiot.

I genuinely believe that he's just stupid and a ton of people around him were guilty of colluding. He was probably obstructing simply to try to get it out of the news/make him look better.

Shadybiz

I genuinely believe that he's just stupid and a ton of people around him were guilty of colluding. He was probably obstructing simply to try to get it out of the news/make him look better.

That's what I've started to believe over the past few months of seeing him in "action." I think he's just that fucking dumb, and doesn't understand how this stuff works.

Binabik15

We've had one of, if not the, biggest protests in American history.

And more should happen every week. Need to happen.

The East Germans started to have demonstrations every Monday to pressure THEIR pro-Russia government. Trump info dumps give ample reason every day.

Top Bottom