• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe

Zona

23 Republican representatives willing to vote for impeachment, and 19 Republican Senators willing to vote for removal.

Two weeks ago, that seemed completely impossible. Now, it only seems improbable. Who knows? Maybe by the time Mueller's investigation results are shown, they'll be chomping at the bit to be rid of Trump.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot about that. It's like they brought out this gun touting big game hunter to take down a rabbit that's already chewed three of it's own legs off.

That's fine. They can either do it themselves or let the Dems run on the platform of 'Impeach Trump' and likely win in 2018. A year and a half of this shit will mobilize progressives way better than any platform ever could. Not healthcare, not minimum wage, not abortion but Trump.

Yep. Within the first half of this year, Dems have enough ammo to fight an endless war. Outside of just the collusion, Trump has betrayed every voter under the sun who chose him (ignoring the hundreds of thousands who will always be his bitch). If there is no impeachment or Trump decides not to resign and the GOP continues to stick with him, all future GOP ventures and Trump's legacy will rot under the mountain of crap. If every progressive voter worked right now, then they can make Trump regret even entertaining the idea he had of becoming president. We can literally help rip the GOP to shreds beyond the already continued infighting over the man. The GOP, Trumpeters & Trump + family will be damaged by or destroyed by this. He will get his comeuppance.

Yep. Within the first half of this year, Dems have enough ammo to fight an endless war. Outside of just the collusion, Trump has betrayed every voter under the sun who chose him (ignoring the hundreds of thousands who will always be his bitch). If there is no impeachment or Trump decides not to resign and the GOP continues to stick with him, all future GOP ventures and Trump's legacy will rot under the mountain of crap. If every progressive voter worked right now, then they can make Trump regret even entertaining the idea he had of becoming president. We can literally help rip the GOP to shreds beyond the already continued infighting over the man. The GOP, Trumpeters & Trump + family will be damaged by or destroyed by this. He will get his comeuppance.

In a way, Trump could have been the best thing to ever happen to the progressive cause in a good long while. There were lots of talks of the progressive coalition fracturing in 2016 but I think it's just a freak accident. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride.

“Can we ask him to shut down the investigation? Are you able to assist in this matter?” one official said of the line of questioning from the White House.

These people are so stupid. They have no idea how the government runs. None.

In theory, yes.

In practice, with full control over the congress and executive, they can spend the next two years ramming though quite a lot of their agenda, and there is little we can do to actually stop them in many cases.

Pastry

Banned
It really does seem like the WaPo and NYT are competing to see who can deliver the final blow to this presidency. It's likely that the leakers are becoming emboldened by the rising scandal and this only going to continue to escalate.

In theory, yes.

In practice, with full control over the congress and executive, they can spend the next two years ramming though quite a lot of their agenda, and there is little we can do to actually stop them in many cases.

They can do that but Dems can all run on rolling everything back if shit really hits the fan (which seems likely by the day). Dems can milk this shit until 2020.

In theory, yes.

Next year and a half, and they are having serious problems doing that now. I'm not sure how much that stuff changes up to midterms. A lot of the issues the GOP has isn't just Trump, the group as a whole is a lot more fractured than it looks.

shiba5

It really does seem like the WaPo and NYT are competing to see who can deliver the final blow to this presidency. It's likely that the leakers are becoming emboldened by the rising scandal and this only going to continue to escalate.

WaPo has already taken down one President. NYTimes jelly.

kevin1025

Banned

This was Weekend At Bernie's since the inauguration. Now the strings can't support the weight.

Syncytia

In theory, yes.

If things keep going the way they are, there is little in major legislation they will be able to get through. They'll be able to screw with federal agencies and appointments but pretty much any legislation is dead in the water. Despite having all that control, the Republican Party is so fractured they could barely pass a healthcare bill in the House. One which they know will die in the Senate so they have yet to even bother sending it to the Senate. Anything on taxes will probably end up in a similar situation.

I really don't know how it could be any clearer.

He demanded loyalty of the chief investigator and later fired him. He pushed IC officials to shut down any investigations of Flynn and collusion and asked them to make false statements to the press in an effort to avoid a special prosecutor.

Trump has stated his motivations and intentions both on national TV and in notes of his conversation with the Russians in the oval office. And we have dated memos with multiple corroborations.

What in the world is needed beyond this?

Republicans willing to put country before party.

If things keep going the way they are, there is little in major legislation they will be able to get through. They'll be able to screw with federal agencies and appointments but pretty much any legislation is dead in the water. Despite having all that control, the Republican Party is so fractured they could barely pass a healthcare bill in the House. One which they know will die in the Senate so they have yet to even bother sending it to the Senate. Anything on taxes will probably end up in a similar situation.

And one that may come to vote again, because of something in relation to budget reconciliation I believe.

I mean, in all of this time since the GOP won it all, the only real accomplishments they have is rolling back Obama era regulations (so undoing something instead of creating something). I mean, that says a lot that in over 4 months time they have almost nothing done that isn't just undoing something else outside barely passing a healthcare bill that has like sub 20% approval rating, and before it was even rated by the CBO.

Smo21

As an outside observer even if Trump is out is Pence any better? Everything I've read about he is a horrible human being and he's allowed Trump to do all this crap

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
As an outside observer even if Trump is out is Pence any better? Everything I've read about his is horrible and he's allowed Trump to do all this crap

Hes nearly all the bad Trump is but a calculating seasoned politician. So he could be considered worse in his own way. At least you remove the wildcard factor with Pence. But ita the wildcard factor from Trump that got his Executive Order tied up in courts, and their repeal of Obamacare shot in the face.

As an outside observer even if Trump is out is Pence any better? Everything I've read about he is a horrible human being and he's allowed Trump to do all this crap

Even if Pence gets in, he will likely be a lame duck president. He was never voted in by the public and was the second of command of the guy that barely got in. The Trump stink will be all over him and it will never go away. He is also implicated in all this. He has been found to be lying about Flynn, which is when all this shit started. Dems will also likely have control of at least one chamber of Congress next year as well.

He's a terrible human being, but Pence at least isn't the utter manchild that Trump is and wouldn't come off so obviously as unstable or as likely to randomly nuke someone during a nasty temper tantrum. Plus, as others have said before, Pence would almost certainly be a lame duck president for the whole of his term if he becomes president.

gamz

He's a terrible human being, but Pence at least isn't the utter manchild that Trump is and wouldn't come off so obviously as unstable or as likely to randomly nuke someone during a nasty temper tantrum. Plus, as others have said before, Pence would almost certainly be a lame duck president for the whole of his term if he becomes president.

But he's smarter and more dangerous to be honest. He could rally the GOP together way more then Trump could and he's more sinister.

23 Republican representatives willing to vote for impeachment, and 19 Republican Senators willing to vote for removal.

Two weeks ago, that seemed completely impossible. Now, it only seems improbable. Who knows? Maybe by the time Mueller's investigation results are shown, they'll be chomping at the bit to be rid of Trump.

Really?

Never heard or read of this anywhere.

Edit: yup, I'm tired and read that wrong. Time to go to bed lol

Pence is way better, despise what people will tell you. I mean, yeah, he's trash, but almost every GOP on the federal level is, and that's just the sad truth. The main thing is that people fear for LGBT rights since he hates gays, but we're already starting to see those rights in danger under Trump, so I doubt there would be any real difference. The main thing is he wouldn't be as erratic as Trump, especially with foreign policy.

But I personally feel that if Trump goes down, Pence is right behind him. He's tied up a lot more in all of this than I think anyone realizes, and even if Trump resigns/is removed Pence's connections with Flynn and inconsistencies means the Russia story will stay in the spotlight.

But really, anyone who comes to be President in this theoretical event is probably going to be a lame duck President. He's going to spend most of his time trying to win over the disenfranchised GOP fanbase, while there will still be subtle in-fighting with Congressional Republicans that won't get any better under a paper President. And being part of the Trump admin, in the case of Pence, means that he would have a hard time trying to reach across the isle to get anything at all done in the Senate. I mean, at this point, any GOP will with the way they've done, but someone from the Trump admin is going to be straight poison to the left

It guts the motivation of trumps most fanatical supporters to turn up in future elections.

If any trump-supporting militias are crazy enough to riot or rebel when he goes, the conservative media gets less ammo out of a Republican admin crushing them.

It doesn't suddenly give the republicans in Congress any more cohesion to agree on how evil to be.

It ensures efforts to repeal sanctions on Russia don't happen.

It stops trump from insulting our allies and spilling intelligence.

As an outside observer even if Trump is out is Pence any better? Everything I've read about his is horrible and he's allowed Trump to do all this crap

Pence is reprehensible, but I'm inclined to believe Trump shares most if not all of his reprehensible views. After all, Trump chose him to be his VP. He didn't wind up in his current position by accident.

Having said that, I'd worry slightly less about Pence having the ability to launch nukes when compared with Trump. I know this response sounds facetious, but I do regard Pence as having at least a more stable temperament than Trump.

Nothing about Pence is desirable, but I doubt Trump's hardcore would show up as enthusiastically for a line-of-succession president's reelection bid. Being tied to an impeached/resigned president and lacking the movement that just barely propelled Trump over the finish line would make Pence a substantially easier president to defeat in an election. Plus, having an officially "failed" president would do at the very least some short term damage to the GOP on the whole.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pence used to be appealing in that he was evil but not chaotic evil. But his Flynn and subsequent bullshit probe he's just better at hiding it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hes nearly all the bad Trump is but a calculating seasoned politician. So he could be considered worse in his own way. At least you remove the wildcard factor with Pence. But ita the wildcard factor from Trump that got his Executive Order tied up in courts, and their repeal of Obamacare shot in the face.

yea but the political capital that repiublicans would have after losing their president would be utter crap, and thats if Pence is some how some way not involved in this which seems unlikely.

and if democrats get out and vote next year then they may not have control over both the house and or senate.

But he's smarter and more dangerous to be honest. He could rally the GOP together way more then Trump could and he's more sinister.

Pence won't toss away our foreign alliances for mother Russia as Trump has done though and any damage he does in the short term locally can be fixed.

Remember, Trump is the man who pissed off the Australian PM, told Mexico it was going to pay for the wall, told Germany it owed back money for defenses, and said NATO was obsolete. Oh and let's not forget the recent Israel intelligence leaks to Russia.

Foreign alliances and trust are the far bigger thing at stake because it's much harder to rebuild.

Let's not forget, if proof is found about Russian collusion, we're going to enter an age that'll make the McCarthy trials look tame.

Pence used to be appealing in that he was evil but not chaotic evil. But his Flynn and subsequent bullshit probe he's just better at hiding it.

True, but there's absolutely nothing that can be done to avoid a GOP occupied White House until January 2021. Even going down the list Paul Ryan isn't an option to desire.

Pence isn't appealing. Impeaching Trump is appealing. Throwing all of this in the GOP's face and making it stick is appealing. Ruining the GOP brand is appealing. Kicking the GOP while they're down is appealing. Making the GOP wish they'd never won an election with Trump as a nominee is appealing.

BobLoblaw

Banned
All of this stuff is just so amazing. Imagine for a minute that Barack Obama had done or said even half of the stuff of that dumbfuck did. Now think about how Republicans would react.

jdstorm

Banned
Honestly. Having a "Failed President" with a Majority is incredibly easy to spin for the GOP. Your two main talking points are.

1. This proves that the GOP can be trusted with holding all the checks and balances because they will do what is right.

2. Trump didnt win over the majority of republicans during the primary. Some Minor lipservice to internal reform which helps the GOP to Veto a candidate as stupid as Trump before he gets too much momentum.

Do both of these things, and then use your majority to rule competently for 3 years while using that same majority to erode the civil liberties of your opponents (AKA Hijack the Supreme Court) and you are frontrunners to maintain power indefinitely and completely wipe out all political opposition.

Honestly. Having a "Failed President" with a Majority is incredibly easy to spin for the GOP. Your two main talking points are.

1. This proves that the GOP can be trusted with holding all the checks and balances because they will do what is right.

2. Trump didnt win over the majority of republicans during the primary. Some Minor lipservice to internal reform which helps the GOP to Veto a candidate as stupid as Trump before he gets too much momentum.

Do both of these things, and then use your majority to rule competently for 3 years while using that same majority to erode the civil liberties of your opponents (AKA Hijack the Supreme Court) and you are frontrunners to maintain power indefinitely and completely wipe out all political opposition.

It sounds incredibly easy, just like it sounds incredibly easy to have all three branches of government to do whatever the fuck you does. Like many things in life, stuff that sounds easy isn't always that easy.

Sorry John Oliver, this ain't over.

That said, so long as the GOP controls Congress, nothing will happen. :(

Even so, every leak and piece of news coming out of this is a good thing.

The GOP and Trump are full of this baggage. This is basically our equivalent of "But her Emails". It always comes back to this, and the fact that congress has done nothing about it needs to be capitalized on come 2018 and 2020.

Nah. Trump is the leader of the GOP. Fucking Carter won against Ford back then. Fucking Carter. Bless his heart but it's Carter.

This assumes he's impeached by a GOP congress and not post-2018. Besides, even if he is impeached by a GOP congress that's seen as having done everything in their power to help Trump derail the investigation until the point he becomes so toxic that removing him becomes a basic survival strategy for the GOP, that perception might linger a bit longer.

I feel like they ran past the point where they can just spin away Trump. They had their chance to get rid of him when he said he was refusing to relinquish control of his properties. I mean, Boom, that was like a gift on a platter to the GOP for a bloodless coup right out of the gate. They could have weathered the shitstorm early, gotten ahead of it, and continued on in the effect to 'heal the nation after a bitter election.' They were fools not to take that opportunity

Sean C

You're forgetting the part where the GOP's whole agenda is enormously unpopular.

Trump's incredible idiocy is drawing the lion's share of the headlines of late, but things like Obamacare repeal would be disastrous under any Republican president.

I wonder what Hillary would do if Trump ends up being impeached and the Russia thing is proven. The election was literally stolen from her.

If I were her I'd just wallow in smug self-satisfaction of the irony rather than hold a grudge. I mean, in general women do put up with a lot of men who get into high positions they would have wanted despite being unqualified, let alone categorically worse. Now essentially the whole nation has to live through that same thing women witness on a day to day occur at a massive, un-ignoreable, and fatal scale.

paskowitz

IMO Dems need to focus less on Trump/Russia and more on their platform, policies and candidates. IMO the Dem reps going to GOP no show Town Halls is the smartest move I've seen yet, but it will take a lot more.

I worry about focusing on Russia to the point where people still feel forgotten and don't show.

Measley

I think Trump pissed off the wrong people in the FBI and CIA. You don't mock US intelligence agencies and call the (seemingly highly respected) former FBI director a "nut job" without those guys coming at you full bore.

IMO Dems need to focus less on Trump/Russia and more on their platform, policies and candidates. IMO the Dem reps going to GOP no show Town Halls is the smartest move I've seen yet, but it will take a lot more.

I worry about focusing on Russia to the point where people still feel forgotten and don't show.

Trump/Russia is dominating the news cycle, it would honestly be pretty foolish to not focus on it since it's such a hot topic right now. I mean, I don't disagree pure say, but now definitely isn't the time to walk back Russia talk.

Cat Party

Trump/Russia is dominating the news cycle, it would honestly be pretty foolish to not focus on it since it's such a hot topic right now. I mean, I don't disagree pure say, but now definitely isn't the time to walk back Russia talk.

This is exactly why the Dems need to remind the public about health care, etc.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I feel like in order for this to start resonating with everyone people need to come forward and speak out publically about instead of 'anonymous sources' I know plenty of Republicans that are brushing this all under the rug because the source behind all of these recent news stories is anonymous.

I want to say that if I were in the position of some of these sources I would step forward and make the claims publically for the good of the nation.

Top Bottom