• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wargroove Review Thread (Advance Wars with Dogs)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Just made it past the forest. Loving slow playing this game. For me it has entirely given me the advance wars replacement I so badly wanted

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
After playing XCOM and being accustomed to the cinematic kill cam, I think it would be neat if your units had a unique animation if they're doing a kill attack, or a critical hit attack.

about to start 4-1. looks like i'm about halfway through the campaign. thought I was further along tbh. been doing all the side missions. not really going for rankings, but ive got a pretty even split of S's and non-S's.

ive lost maybe 3 times so far? definitely annoying playing through to the end of a long level, dying, and having restart it all. that said, once you know what to expect and how the map plays, it's much easier the second time around.

overall still enjoying my time with it. love playing a level or two in bed to wind down the night.

they should add some touch functions too. would like to tap the screen to advance on the map over view. I also think it is too easy to accidentally end your turn. happened once to me so far, and it really fucks up your game.

Last edited:
latest info on Wargrooves first upcoming patch:

siliconera said:
One of the major additions to Wargroove is a new Checkpoint system meant to alleviate stress over losing progress. Essentially, with the new patch players will be able to set a checkpoint whenever they want, and retry from the checkpoint if they fail. Only one checkpoint can be active at a time, however.

Additionally, thanks to player feedback, Chucklefish have changed the game to have five difficulty presets rather than a slider – Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (default) and Custom. As Hard is the default, it is the only mode where S-ranks can be earned. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Medium allows up to 3 stars, Easy mode allows up to 2 stars, and while Story mode is easy enough to breeze through, players are limited to 1 stars.

Here are the other changes below:

• You can now add CPU players to online games.
  • Seven maps designed for co-op play will be added.

• Skipping story, battle, and capture cutscenes is faster,
  • S rank requirements are now shown in the overview for a mission.
  • Exit has been renamed to Suspend for clarity’s sake.
  • The effectiveness chart and recruit screens have also been reworked with feedback to be more informative.

• A Confirm End Turn button has been added as players reported accidental ending of turns,
  • A new Movement Speed option lets players set all units to move faster.
  • You can also now choose to show Damage Range that shows the minimum and maximum damage dealt, instead of an average.

• Fog of War has been reworked so that allies can share their vision, and defeated allies become spectators that can only see what has been revealed by their team. The enemy’s income and funds will also be hidden.

lots of nice QOL changes.

Last edited:
I like the game well enough so far, but it doesn’t feel like a good Advance Wars replacement yet. I’ll need to play more to articulate why.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Any news on the difficulty and a patch for it some missions are plain not fun so i stopped playing waiting for an update.

Any news on the difficulty and a patch for it some missions are plain not fun so i stopped playing waiting for an update.

patch improvements can be seen a few posts up - not sure if any of that is what youre looking for.

unsure how far you've played, but i think the maps have gotten a bit more challenging around the midpoint of the game.

I might pick this for the switch, any words on stability and performance ?

i've played exclusively on handheld. am a little more than halfway through the campaign.

no bug/performance issues yet that ive seen.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
patch improvements can be seen a few posts up - not sure if any of that is what youre looking for.

i've played exclusively on handheld. am a little more than halfway through the campaign.

no bug/performance issues yet that ive seen.
yeah basically it great news glad i waited,

Hopefully also the AI can't cheat with fog of war. That is so freaking cheap.

Whew! How are people doing with this?

7-1 gave me a bit of trouble, wby? gonna dive into the custom maps and other solo content after i wrap the campaign

I'm close to finishing the campaign (while doing all the side missions). I felt like the movement was too limited which made the game too slow at first, but as I played more and got more units the game really opened up. The ability to critical based on positioning/movement is a nice new wrinkle. I'm very optimistic about the custom content now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom