• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

WolfTime

Banned
Beyond the whole lame-ness of "power level" conversations in general, I really do not think a legionaire veteran of the long war stands up to a primarch with any real scrutiny. Reading the HH books puts that into perspective as even incredibly powerful warriors and xenos are put down by the primarchs before they even see the strike that hits them.

Fulgrim v. Avatar of Khaine.

Sanginius v. Blood Thirster

etc.

Also, one must not forget that having spent XXXX amount of years in the eye does not mean XXXX amount of years in realspace. Similarly, not all legionaires of the traitor legions are from the heresy times: they have been recruiting, implanting geneseed, or taking stock from traitor CSM chapters as well. The Iron Warriors book puts that into perspective. Also, not all legionaires from that time have ascended to demon hood or have been granted gifts.

yeah thats what i said...experience is important, but it doesn't lead to a massive upgrade at power

Primarchs are not even humans, there pretty much demigods ....they have a completely different genetic code from regular astartes if i remember right?

It depends on how much power is given to them by Chaos. The thing you must remember about Chaos Space Marines is that most of them came from a different time. Basically, a CSM has old equipment and strategies they got from the Great Crusade or the Horus Heresy but have that experience from fighting, but whether or not they use it is another question. An outdated model compares to the current Space Marines, which had better training and equipment. And when comparing that to a Primarch, it's a very one-sided for a basic CSM. People like Abaddon, Kharn, or Lucius could take on a Primarch, but that is up to debate.
The answer is no.

WolfTime

Banned
is there any lore of a regular astarte or human being able to match a Primarch in fair battle

the only one I can think of is Luther beating The Lion

Maledict

I'll say this, The Emperor is a massive hypocrite when it comes to psykers

"Be the most powerful psyker in the universe" but yet you have a problem with psykers in the space marine legions

I'm glad many of the primarchs went against his decree on this issue

The Emperor is a moron. Is there *anything* he has done that made sense and wasn't just the actions of an arrogant idiot? Be it the truly fucking stupid way he handled the primarchs (kidnapping Angron, etc etc), his moronic attitude towards pyschers, the entire "golden throne secret plan", *everything*.

Golden age of humanity my ass. The guy was a useless nincompoop.

The Emperor is a moron. Is there *anything* he has done that made sense and wasn't just the actions of an arrogant idiot? Be it the truly fucking stupid way he handled the primarchs (kidnapping Angron, etc etc), his moronic attitude towards pyschers, the entire "golden throne secret plan", *everything*.

Golden age of humanity my ass. The guy was a useless nincompoop.

You are talking about the Imperial Webway right?

WolfTime

Banned
Sorry for all these questions guys, im just in Warhammer 40k super hype mode since the reveal that Roboute is coming back

Times are really changing...are we about to experience End Times like Fantasy?

if not, the story is definitely developing and leading all to something

and it shows, i believe GW has been doing great recently, they been getting gaining profits because of the consistent good releases

seems like Games Workshop is back....Warhammer 40k is back

Fou-Lu

Sorry for all these questions guys, im just in Warhammer 40k super hype mode since the reveal that Roboute is coming back

Times are really changing...are we about to experience End Times like Fantasy?

if not, the story is definitely developing and leading all to something

and it shows, i believe GW has been doing great recently, they been getting gaining profits because of the consistent good releases

seems like Games Workshop is back....Warhammer 40k is back

I believe it has been stated that there will NOT be a reboot like after the End Times of Fantasy. This is all like End Times without the End.

Fou-Lu

My prediction would be more of an Imperial civil war. There's no way the High Lords of Terra would give the reigns over to Guilliman that easily.

Haunted

As someone who's almost exclusively into the Horus Heresy/Warhammer 30k lore, seeing one of the actual primarchs brought back to the "current" universe is pretty damn cool to see.

WolfTime

Banned
I can see him blaming Lorgar for that.

I have a feeling this is that all of this is going to build up to

Cypher "killing" the Emperor, ushering in a new age

I think both Roboute and Cypher will work together, Roboute will try to fight the high lords of Terra and take over control as much as he can while Cypher tries to sneak in the Imperium Palace to do what is necessary

WolfTime

Banned
The scene is a bunch of custodes laying on the ground unconscious

you see Roboute with a bolter pistol aiming it at the Emperor's corpse

"Sorry my father" one tear in Roboute's eyes "BAM"

WolfTime

Banned
uh oh so i heard there is a rumour going around that...

supposedly Abaddon dies in "Rise of the Primarch"

don't know if its true or not

Tacitus_

Supposedly the rumour comes from a credible source. They predicted the 3rd book having a Primarch return. They're also saying that GW will release 8th ed with streamlined rules this year.

Supposedly the rumour comes from a credible source. They predicted the 3rd book having a Primarch return. They're also saying that GW will release 8th ed with streamlined rules this year.

Makes sense. It's been a couple of months the since GW released a new generic space Marine rulebook!

Nazo

As someone who doesn't play the table-top I welcome a more streamlined rule set in 8th edition. I once heard someone talking about 7th ed rules and I thought my head was going to spin

Maledict

I hope so. Abaddon has never really worked for me as a character, ad I find the entire "true son of chaos who succeeds where Horus didn't" thing doesn't stick at all.

Tacitus_

well couldn't one argue that Abaddon is doing what Horus failed to do

Horus turned half of the Imperial war machine to his side (well the Word Bearers did the heavy lifting), crushed three Legions, took over Mars, laid siege to Terra and put the Emperor on life support.
Abaddons results are... lacking compared to that. But then again he doesn't have the resources or the advantage of an unthinkable betrayal on his side. We shall see what he accomplishes during this campaign as they made it so the other 12 Black Crusades were merely build up to the 13th.

WolfTime

Banned
Horus turned half of the Imperial war machine to his side (well the Word Bearers did the heavy lifting), crushed three Legions, took over Mars, laid siege to Terra and put the Emperor on life support.
Abaddons results are... lacking compared to that. But then again he doesn't have the resources or the advantage of an unthinkable betrayal on his side. We shall see what he accomplishes during this campaign as they made it so the other 12 Black Crusades were merely build up to the 13th.

thats a fair point Tacitus,

edit: ‘Gathering Storm: Rise of the Primarch', is the third book in the Gathering Storm series, concluding the story arcs that began in Fall of Cadia and Fracture of Biel-Tan. The heroes from both books – including Saint Celestine, Inquisitor Greyfax, Belisarius Cawl and the Ynnari – continue their quests, travelling through the Eldar webway to arrive in the Ultramar system. As you can probably tell from the title of the book, their arrival sparks one of the most miraculous, game-changing events in the history of Warhammer 40,000 – the resurrection of the Primarch Roboute Guilliman, who must then come to terms with what the Imperium has become in the 9,000 years he's been in stasis. Alongside the book comes a trio of brand-new miniatures, first among them Guilliman himself – marking the first time a loyalist Primarch has been made in plastic. It's a monumental event with massive repercussions, as you'll soon find out.
In the darkest hour...

I mean "one of"? this is probably The single biggest world-changing event in the history of 40k, since the game came out?

Tacitus_

I mean "one of"? this is probably The single biggest world-changing event in the history of 40k, since the game came out?

Well The Beast Arises just happened and it had stuff like 10m tall Ork warboss going HAM on the Imperium, Vulkan came back to fight it and seemingly died (again) AND it capped off with the Beheading where all of the High Lords died.

Then there's the Age of Apostasy, which ended in the Reign of Blood and the creation of Sisters of Battle. And the Nova Terra Interregnum, which split the Imperium for over a millennia.
And you know, the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy. Those were pretty big events.

WolfTime

Banned
Well The Beast Arises just happened and it had stuff like 10m tall Ork warboss going HAM on the Imperium, Vulkan came back to fight it and seemingly died (again) AND it capped off with the Beheading where all of the High Lords died.

Then there's the Age of Apostasy, which ended in the Reign of Blood and the creation of Sisters of Battle. And the Nova Terra Interregnum, which split the Imperium for over a millennia.
And you know, the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy. Those were pretty big events.

I thought Vulkan was a perpetual so he can never die?

shas'la

thats a fair point Tacitus,

edit: ‘Gathering Storm: Rise of the Primarch’, is the third book in the Gathering Storm series, concluding the story arcs that began in Fall of Cadia and Fracture of Biel-Tan. The heroes from both books – including Saint Celestine, Inquisitor Greyfax, Belisarius Cawl and the Ynnari – continue their quests, travelling through the Eldar webway to arrive in the Ultramar system. As you can probably tell from the title of the book, their arrival sparks one of the most miraculous, game-changing events in the history of Warhammer 40,000 – the resurrection of the Primarch Roboute Guilliman, who must then come to terms with what the Imperium has become in the 9,000 years he’s been in stasis. Alongside the book comes a trio of brand-new miniatures, first among them Guilliman himself – marking the first time a loyalist Primarch has been made in plastic. It’s a monumental event with massive repercussions, as you’ll soon find out.
In the darkest hour…

I love how everyone is glossing over that the Eldar have just spawned a new GOD and everyone has already moved on before the book is even out lol.

WolfTime

Banned
I love how everyone is glossing over that the Eldar have just spawned a new GOD and everyone has already moved on before the book is even out lol.

what I want to know

is it says that Roboute was brought back by Cawl and a Eldar sorcerer

why would the Eldar help in ressurecting a primarch?

what I want to know

Cadia is gone. The only thing that is stopping a major invasion from Chaos is gone. I would assume that the Eldar is looking at anything and everything to stop Chaos at this point.

what I want to know

The Ynnari Eldar know they can't defeat Chaos on their own - in terms of finding a strong enough ally, humanity is their best hope.

WolfTime

Banned
Actually I agree with shas'la that Ynnead being born is probably a bigger event than Roboute's return in terms of scale,

would you guys agree

WolfTime

Banned
I don't like this development of the Imperium working with the Eldar

it screams to much of "Mass Effecty-Star Trek utopia of races" type thing, just seems Non-40k

Yeah, it's more an alliance of necessity rather than being best buddies.

As soon as the Chaos threat has been dealt with, the Imperials would return to exterminating the Xenos scum ;D

Top Bottom