• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Corto

Reading that interview it's my understanding that a Space Marine sequel from Relic is redundant at the moment. A Dawn of War sequel maybe?

grendelrt

Corto said:
Reading that interview it's my understanding that a Space Marine sequel from Relic is redundant at the moment. A Dawn of War sequel maybe?

They have basically already said DoW3 will be coming. They were supposed to show it at Gamescom but then never did.

daedalius

I would much rather see a more expansive Space Marine game than an MMO any day. I think it is foolish of them to pin their hopes on an MMO, 40k doesn't exactly have mass appeal; the fans will buy it, but I doubt they would last too long in it.

Hopefully being #10 on NPD along with good selling DLC, they will rethink this position. They have to iterate on the SM franchise, I think it could be really great eventually. Also, maybe for the 2nd one they might not release 2 weeks before a huge 3rd person shooter's third and final iteration...

Dow 3 is in development, and it will surely sell well (I'm not much of a PC gamer besides RTSs), but that doesn't mean they should give up on SM already.

gd danny bilson /facepalm

wilflare

completed this game last sunday.
really hope they will get the update out now!

PS: anyone have issues with slowdown? the game randomly has a slowdown from the start.. gotta restart a few times.

many thanks to derFeef that I was able to enjoy this :D

Salazar

Still no confirmation on whether Exterminatus can be solo-ed.

Some articles (PC Gamer) say "up to four players"; some say simply "four players".

THQ/Relic say absolutely nothing in response to enquiries. Godlike community management.

Salazar said:

Some articles (PC Gamer) say "up to four players"; some say simply "four players".

THQ/Relic say absolutely nothing in response to enquiries. Godlike community management.
No response is never a good sign

Salazar

Heavy said:
No response is never a good sign

No, I think that's just how they roll, in general.

Badass Primarchs poster from Games Day.

B9Oj5.jpg

Horus and Fulgrim.

nCbJM.jpg

Jagatai Khan, Lorgar, and Rogal Dorn.

Oifd7.jpg

Sanguinius, Mortarion, Magnus the Red, and Angron.

IIz2K.jpg

Want! Which one is the last one though? Hopefully the fact that the game charted means that we'll get a sequel. I'm betting we will have to wait until after Dark Millinuim launchs though. Oh and for anyone who missed go check out the miniture wargaming thread to see the newly leaked Necrons.

Salsa

Man i totally abandoned this mid-way when RAGE came out and now im playing Costume Quest. The fuck am i doing, need to finish it.

El'Kharn

SalsaShark said:
Man i totally abandoned this mid-way when RAGE came out and now im playing Costume Quest. The fuck am i doing, need to finish it.

Heh i understand man......same thing happened to me with rage but i'm right back into the multiplayer now, should crack 10k kills by tommorow on seize ground.

I'm almost too afraid to ask but what is this Costume Quest that you speak of?

AEREC

Salazar said:

Man, I really hope it can be played solo. The community is already dwindling, but hopefully it will get a spike when the DLC comes out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I just played a couple rounds on Xbox and found matches in no time. Host migration and lag still sucks though. Wasn't there supposed to be a patch for this?

El'Kharn

Lyphen said:
I just played a couple rounds on Xbox and found matches in no time. Host migration and lag still sucks though. Wasn't there supposed to be a patch for this?
Yep, when exterminatus gets released on the 25th

daedalius

El'Kharn said:
Yep, when exterminatus gets released on the 25th

Can't come soon enough, seriously.

DoW2 stuff that just released looks pretty awesome, surprising that game still has a pretty large community, its like second only to SC2.

AEREC said:
Man, I really hope it can be played solo. The community is already dwindling, but hopefully it will get a spike when the DLC comes out.
One or two players and I'm good, although outside of Reach's Firefight I don't know of any horde modes in games that are good to run solo.

Can't wait to have another excuse to boot up Space Marine - been too busy with other things, but hopefully exterminatus will bring me back into the fold.

I finished Space Marine today, and I like what I played. It's a really great game and I love to move like a Space Marines. Unfortunately there is one thing I hated: Why do I not be invulnerable when I'm doing a finisher to get health? That's just the real gameplay problem I had. Things I don't like is the marketing of THQ. Seriously they showed/spoiled us the whole game in advance. WTF? That should've not happened.

I'm just sad, that we won't get a sequel in the next few years. You can't blame Relic for delivering an awesome game. You can only blame THQ for releasing it in a shitty month. =/

El'Kharn

Hypertrooper said:
I'm just sad, that we won't get a sequel in the next few years. You can't blame Relic for delivering an awesome game. You can only blame THQ for releasing it in a shitty month. =/

Dont be sad bro, there will be sequels...But for now be happy, 3 days to go!

ArjanN

Hypertrooper said:
I finished Space Marine today, and I like what I played. It's a really great game and I love to move like a Space Marines. Unfortunately there is one thing I hated: Why do I not be invulnerable when I'm doing a finisher to get health? That's just the real gameplay problem I had. Things I don't like is the marketing of THQ. Seriously they showed/spoiled us the whole game in advance. WTF? That should've not happened.

Because that would make the game broken easy. You're supposed to create some space for yourself.

Feindflug

derFeef said:
I have the feeling that Exterminatus will not be as exciting as I hope :/

That looked decent but I personally would've preferred it to be a mission based co-op (like Spec-ops)...I got tired of Horde modes even though this wave after wave style matches Space Marine's gameplay and style pretty well.

Anyway I will download and play this for sure, Space Marine even with it's shortcomings was still a great action game that could've turned into an amazing series with some improvements - too bad we won't see a sequel soon.

Feindflug said:
That looked decent but I personally would've preferred it to be a mission based co-op (like Spec-ops)...I got tired of Horde modes even though this wave after wave style matches Space Marine's gameplay and style pretty well.

Anyway I will download and play this for sure, Space Marine even with it's shortcomings was still a great action game that could've turned into an amazing series with some improvements - too bad we won't see a sequel soon.
IMHO, what all these Horde modes need is to alternate the gameplay objectives between defense and assault (and maybe even tactical retreats). Maps could have several bases and at intervals could be tasked with either assaulting a position held by the enemy, or defending that position. The objectives wouldn't have to swap out each round, but switching them every so often would help to mix things up and keep players engaged.

Defense alone doesn't really cut it after a while.

ArjanN

NullPointer said:
IMHO, what all these Horde modes need is to alternate the gameplay objectives between defense and assault (and maybe even tactical retreats). Maps could have several bases and at intervals could be tasked with either assaulting a position held by the enemy, or defending that position. The objectives wouldn't have to swap out each round, but switching them every so often would help to mix things up and keep players engaged.

Defense alone doesn't really cut it after a while.

I would have preferred a spec-ops setup as well.
I know why they don't do that, it's because that takes way more effort to design. Same reason most DLC for games is multiplayer stuff.

Horde mode tends to get old, especially now that so many games are doing it.

El'Kharn

ArjanN said:
I know why they don't do that, it's because that takes way more effort to design.

Oh really?

ArjanN said:
Horde mode tends to get old, especially now that so many games are doing it.

Being a god damn SPACE MARINE makes this stand out IMO. No horde mode in any game will be anywhere near as satisfying as playing exterminatus. bring it on i say!

My mind body and soul is ready!

edit.
derFeef said:
I hope so and I also hope that was just a bad video.

Just a bad video man. Faith, have it.

ArjanN

El'Kharn said:
Oh really?

yes, the spec-ops missions in MW2 were basically more single-player missions which generally take more effort to produce. As I understand it spec-ops mode in MW3 is also a survival type horde mode now though.

El'Kharn said:
Being a god damn SPACE MARINE makes this stand out IMO. No horde mode in any game will be anywhere near as satisfying as playing exterminatus. bring it on i say!

My mind body and soul is ready!

Well, I agree the horde mode suits the universe well, it's probably just that I've played a bit too much of that sort of mode recently.

Unity2012

derFeef said:
I hope so and I also hope that was just a bad video.

Bad video, indeed. The guy sounds tired, uninterested; and his voice disappears behind the music.

A couple more days and we'll get to judge by ourselves.

hteng

Banned
Salazar said:
No, I think that's just how they roll, in general.

Badass Primarchs poster from Games Day.

B9Oj5.jpg

Horus and Fulgrim.

nCbJM.jpg

Jagatai Khan, Lorgar, and Rogal Dorn.

Oifd7.jpg

Sanguinius, Mortarion, Magnus the Red, and Angron.

IIz2K.jpg

weird, i was not expecting Angron to be smaller than Magnus, i thought he was the largest of all the primarches, and his face looks like a lizard. And is that really lorgar? looks more like Ferrus Manus to me.

glaurung

hteng said:
weird, i was not expecting Angron to be smaller than Magnus, i thought he was the largest of all the primarches, and his face looks like a lizard. And is that really lorgar? looks more like Ferrus Manus to me.
I do not dare to label anyone beside the obvious guys on this picture... Every artist draws the primarchs differently.

Salazar

I read on Dembski-Bowden's blog that they are pushing the depiction of Angron as being a not-quite-so-enormous, but compensatorily vicious dude. I had an idea of him as being a beastly giant, but I find that I can roll with this new idea.

I think that is Lorgar - around the time of the Heresy he was rocking gold leaf on all exposed skin and khol-darkened eyes. The armour should be overlapping plates with minute cuneiform, but eh.

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/

Salazar

Sneaky Gato said:
Huh just realized that there are only nine in the picture. Was their a companion piece?

I don't remember if all the primarchs were at the triumph.

Should be a good book, though. The recent Heresy short story collections are exceptionally badass.

El'Kharn said:
Yep, the Ultramarine Primarch is missing.

And Lion'El, Perturabo, Leman, Konrad, Vulkan, Ferrus, and Corax.

And Alpharius, but that's not surprising.

Seeing as they are the mystery legion, and as Alpharius is actually twins.

Maybe there are only so many demi-gods that a balcony can support.

Top Bottom