• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

FatalT said:
Really? Weird! Do you live in the United States?
Nope, I live in Europe. Two (out of three) people on my friends list who were playing the game post-patch while I couldn't were also Europeans by the way, and someone from the States could log on again much sooner than yours truly as well.

Erudite

Anyone else not able to get into the Campaign/Multiplayer atm?

After repeatedly clicking either buttons for 30 seconds, I get this
error.jpg

EDIT: Guess I found the answer to my own question. Relic Forums

dLMN8R said:
Just beat the campaign on Captain :D Now THAT is how you create a fucking awesome final mission!
Which reminds me: I laughed when
when they revived Davian Thule
halfway through the campaign. I had no idea that's what
Dreadnaughts
are for. :lol

dorkimoe

Gold Member
just finished it also

game was awesome, to bad after you kill the final boss it didnt let me pickup his loot cuz the cutscene rolls in :dumb:

Also, I don't remember his name but the boss with the fire sword is impossible to kill, the end boss was the easiest thing ever compared to him.

no achievements for beating it :(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone speak Polish at all? Was checking out G2Play.pl and they have

Wkrótce na G2PLAY: Warhammer Dawn of War II (STEAM)

on their Polish page, I take it this means coming soon, or something similar?

dLMN8R said:
dude, i think something's fucked up with your UI...it's all gibberish and shit :-/
what? I have a dual monitor setup and only pressed print and included this in the graphics program. After this I cut off the second screen. Those 2 shots are not exactly the same because of this. ;)

Halvie

Banned
SapientWolf said:

The game is buggy, it has horrible AI, shit pathfinding, horrible match making, only had four 3v3 maps (where is 4v4), worse gameplay than COH....blah blah blah. Huge disappointment. Game was shipped about a six months early it seems.

shuri

Banned
the game is pretty much a failure and will never have the lasting appeal of dow1. It was interesting, but playing on the same maps over and over again in sp and only having like 7 maps in mp was complete bullshit.

Erudite

Halvie said:
MP got old quick. Game is garbage and I wish I didn't buy it. Last Relic game I ever buy.
Dude really.? I'm 57 hours in, with a good chunk of that time spent in 1v1 MP, and I'm still loving the game to death.

Each to his own I guess.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Halvie said:
The game is buggy, it has horrible AI, shit pathfinding, horrible match making, only had four 3v3 maps (where is 4v4), worse gameplay than COH....blah blah blah. Huge disappointment. Game was shipped about a six months early it seems.
I've heard others echo that sentiment (as well as the inevitable DoW1 comparisons) but I'd be curious to see why people feel that way. I think it may just come down to personal preference in the end. I can only speak for myself but I felt that DoWII is much more accessible than CoH, and they're different enough that there's no reason why people can't enjoy both.

CTLance

What the hell is wrong with you guys. The game is awesome.

...and I had one hell of a problem with that stupid elf-in-a-mech boss. I somehow did everything wrong at the precise moment where it would inflict maximum damage to my units. And the stupid mobs always pinning down and distracting my men. Finally got him thanks to focus fire.
Avitus can be pretty awesome sometimes. I've maxed out ranged with him, and when he's sitting behind cover with his heavy bolter he just slaughters infantry. There are some pretty gruesome heavy weapons in this game. Can't wait until I finally get a commander-in-a-can myself.

Easiest boss so far? The 'nid warrior. Ran around a bunch, spawned some worm things, died. Very unimpressive. Boring, too. Was it glitched or something? I expected much more from him.

I gotta say my favourite piece of equipment is the flag that heals, breaks suppression, and gives ranged damage dampening, with unlimited charges and great area of effect. Awesome for my melee hero. And because I suck at tactics. ;)

dorkimoe

Gold Member
The game is awesome, but here are my few complaints

When you kill someone it should automatically loot, because I think 2 or 3 times it showed that he dropped loot but I couldnt pick it up because the end level cutscene popped up.
So I missed a few objects...unless it does and then im an idiot

Ork campaign :(. My favorite class but I can't play them because I dont play multiplayer RTS because I suck. I hope they get an expansion out with the ork campaign I want to see the loot.

Maybe I will find some newbs to play online with, little 2v2.

Finished the single player campaign, have about 35 matches under my belt in multiplayer.

-Needs more maps. This is a must. Three maps for 3v3, three for 1v1, and no 2v2 or 4v4 maps?
-Balance is shit. Force Commander with bubble shield, speed armor, and hammer owns all. Besides FC, Nids with Tyrant is the only consistently playable option against decent opposition online, unless you are a micro god with Eldar
- Feels like a step back from Company of Heroes for me, not as much depth to the gameplay. Hard to quantify this, maybe it's the fact that there are less units to choose from on each side?

- I've leveled three complaints against it, but overall it's still a good game, I will continue to play. Doubtful that I'll play as much as CoH though. It's just that I was expecting more from Relic, whom I consider to be the best strategy game developers out there.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
mikekennyb said:
-Balance is shit. Force Commander with bubble shield, speed armor, and hammer owns all. Besides FC, Nids with Tyrant is the only consistently playable option against decent opposition online, unless you are a micro god with Eldar

the game is actually more balanced now than coh is after 2+ years.

CTLance said:
I gotta say my favourite piece of equipment is the flag that heals, breaks suppression, and gives ranged damage dampening, with unlimited charges and great area of effect. Awesome for my melee hero. And because I suck at tactics. ;)
I like this thingy the most too. Yesterday I got a new version. It's lvl 18 now.

dorkimoe said:
When you kill someone it should automatically loot, because I think 2 or 3 times it showed that he dropped loot but I couldnt pick it up because the end level cutscene popped up.
So I missed a few objects...unless it does and then im an idiot
You'll get the loot even if you not manually pick it up!
Ork campaign :(. My favorite class but I can't play them because I dont play multiplayer RTS because I suck. I hope they get an expansion out with the ork campaign I want to see the loot.
DITO! Orcs >>> everything

ghst said:
the game is actually more balanced now than coh is after 2+ years.

Arguable, but in CoH not everyone you play is playing as the Brits, whereas I would estimate 75% of my opponents in DoW 2 have been using the Force Commander.

Mrbob

When is Relic gonna patch the achievements? I'm not playing the campaign anymore again until they do.

I normally don't care about achievements, except when I'm supposed to get them and they don't show up.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Mrbob said:
When is Relic gonna patch the achievements? I'm not playing the campaign anymore again until they do.

I normally don't care about achievements, except when I'm supposed to get them and they don't show up.

yeah :( pretty sad i didnt get endgame one

what other ones are broken?

Finished this today, the last mission is awesome.

Has anyone NOT skipped the credits? Neogaf is mentioned unter special thanks to community :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
mikekennyb said:
Arguable, but in CoH not everyone you play is playing as the Brits, whereas I would estimate 75% of my opponents in DoW 2 have been using the Force Commander.

the brit's aren't overpowered in coh. they're just shoddily designed, but extremely exploitable.

the majority of players were playing as force commander anyway. that's warhammer/single player cross-over for you. and the ravener is the most overpowered of the heroes in the right hands, with the force commander steamrolling at lower level play. the hive tyrant is the worst nid hero.

Mrbob said:

Hmm, guess I'm lucky then. Almost finished the campaign (entirely through co-op) and so far the game hasn't denied me of any achievements.

ghst said:
the brit's aren't overpowered in coh. they're just shoddily designed, but extremely exploitable.

the majority of players were playing as force commander anyway. that's warhammer/single player cross-over for you. and the ravener is the most overpowered of the heroes in the right hands, with the force commander steamrolling at lower level play. the hive tyrant is the worst nid hero.
Personally, I don't think the Ravener would be so overpowered if the Tyrannid Warriors didn't repeatedly knock everything back with relative ease. I've seen many of my Space Marine units needlessly die due to this, even at full health and even when I told them to retreat as soon as I spotted an incoming swarm before they even got that close.

Bubble boys on the other hand haven't been much of a hindrance lately, if they're on the opposing team. They're more of a liability (which is why I detest them if they end up on my side) most of the time, and plenty of them are incredibly daft. Especially humorous when they try to overwhelm you with Tac spamming: so easily countered by an Apothecary, one Assault Marine Squad, one Heavy Bolter squad and one Sniper Scout squad.

Mrbob said:
Yeah it is the end game achievements I'm talking about. You won't get them they are borked. :/
i got them all when i beat it on primarch, but if you are affected what can you do besides wait for a fix?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
you achievement bleating freaks. go play some multiplayer.

a single head to head victory, even at rank 1, is far more significant than any arbitrary milestone.

From the official forums

We have one smaller patch that will be out in the next few weeks (it's at GFWL cert), and a bigger one coming relatively soon after that (we're putting the final touches on it internally).

The first patch addresses some major issues (code-fix for the pop-cap bug, the colour hack, improved matchmaking to name a few). The larger patch contains many fixes, improvements, and new features and content.

More details soon.

We'll be giving out more maps and colours soon, for free.

Paid DLC will be major new stuff that will be worth paying for. Unfortunately I cannot get into any more details.

I want a snow map!

Erudite

Morbid Angel said:
From the official forums

I'm glad they're not making us pay for maps. I'll pay for quality campaigns, but not for maps.

Hope it doesn't take too long before these patches/content packs to roll around.

Halvie said:
MP got old quick. Game is garbage and I wish I didn't buy it. Last Relic game I ever buy.

I kind of agree. I'm massively disappointed with this game.

The single player campaign was surprisingly good, but the MP is just boring boring boring to me (which is opposite of what almost every reviewer said).

I absolutely loved DoW I + expansions, but something about this one just doesn't feel right.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
I agree w/ the lack of maps and community support (since no mod tools have really been released) but I'm having tons of fun w/ multiplayer. Of all the games i've purchased in the last 4 months, the only game I'm really still playing is DoW and Empire. Theres just so much satisfaction when your team is able to win against higher lvl TS.

Druz

Halvie said:

Don't be a baby. Even if the game is shit you can't dismiss an entire studio because of one team. Cough.... come on over to COH

Acosta

Well, finished it on hard settings (3/4, don't remember name). I'm satisfied, but my bar is way higher for a Relic game.

At some points I was totally feeling the RTS/RPG combo. Getting new toys, managing a controllable group, using abilities (SZZZZZZZ PUUUUM! aerial assault rocked ), levelling... I was digging it. But at some point of the campaign it felt flat, not enough variety of missions, items or character development options. Way too much repetition of missions, especially if you do lots of optional missions like me
I finished with the Dreadnought and three squads in terminator suits

Relic could have avoided this in part with a multi racial campaign, that would have been the easier option. The hardest and best solution would have been using a best design with more options, more maps and more variety of missions. I can't really believe I had not any Librarian unit for example. Cyrus was a very interesting unit, but at the end I decided to go with a "in your face" configuration without him, as the designers loved too much "last stand" type missions with waves and waves of enemies.

The bosses are a complete failure, I was wary of them from the beginning and they ended being a complete disaster for me, I didn't find any fight interesting or epic, they were or terribly easy or annoying.

I think Relic is on something here, but they need to improve lots of aspects to make it really work. The story was fine, but a bit simple (I really miss Homeworld), the presentation was fine, but lacking compared with Company of Heroes (I really missed more urban mission). The engine is fantastic, the graphics and audio were great and some of the fights were truly intensive.

Looking for the next expansion, hopefully they will learn their lesson and make the RPG/RTS idea work. As it is now (talking about campaign) is far from Relic's best in my opinion.

Darklord

Banned
The only reason the multiplayer isn't as good as the first game is because I fucking suck at it. I can't beat shit. :(

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Darklord said:
The only reason the multiplayer isn't as good as the first game is because I fucking suck at it. I can't beat shit. :(

same here, lets do a 2v2 in a noob server haha

Top Bottom