• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War/Winter Assault noob thread

Akia

Alright I just got the game. I'm wondering where I should begin.

1.) Is it better to just jump into Winter Assault or should I start playing Dawn of War first?

2.) Which races are noob friendly?

3.) I played alot of War3/TFT is that going to help at all or are the mechanics different?

4.) How does the game's online influstructure compare to b.net?

5.) Should I jump online and learn everything the hard way
?

This is the first time where I jumped on an RTS bandwagon so late. Sorry that i got soo many questions. i've never been this excited for an RTS in a while to say the least.

Draft

1. Play Dawn of War first

2. Space Marines, and to a lesser extent Chaos Space Marines. Tau are a little squishy and tech heavy for a new guy, and the Orks unique pop/resource system takes some getting used to.

3. Similar mechanics. "Hero" classes, dancing, micro, all RTS staples are in full effect.

4. Pretty good knockoff.

5. I'd check out single player or skirmish mode first.

Akia

5.) How much like War4/TFT is this game?

6.) So can you acess the Dawn of War campaign from the Winter Assault disk?

7.) Do you "creep" in this game?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Tau aren't out yet! wtf Dark Crusade pwned total

I'd recommend starting with the Space Marines first, then Chaos. Orks are good once you get a grasp of them, and Eldar are freaking nuts in the right hands. Gotta love micro though to get anywhere with them. Imperial Guard are great if you're more of a turtling player - heavy on D with lots of cannon fodder. The new patch has strengthened IG in certain areas, but I'd definitely recommend playing through the original DOW before tackling WA.

bluemax

Banned
bishoptl said:
Tau aren't out yet! wtf Dark Crusade pwned total

I'd recommend starting with the Space Marines first, then Chaos. Orks are good once you get a grasp of them, and Eldar are freaking nuts in the right hands. Gotta love micro though to get anywhere with them. Imperial Guard are great if you're more of a turtling player - heavy on D with lots of cannon fodder. The new patch has strengthened IG in certain areas, but I'd definitely recommend playing through the original DOW before tackling WA.

There are some mods that give Tau :p

I finally started the campaign after months and months of playing just the multi with my coworkers and I got stuck on one level of the Space Marine campaign. It's the one where you start on a cliff above an Orc camp and you have the Whirlwind tanks I think. I know you're supposed to take out the Orc camp with the tanks but I can't seem to get them to target them and fire. Is there something I'm missing?

Draft

I am dumb, I said Tau and meant Eldar.

5. I mean, they're all RTS games. DoW doesn't stray too far from the tried and true conventions of the genre, but it does put a nice spin on some things.

similarities-
"hero" units with MP and special abilities on cool down. very capable of turning the tide of battle when used well.
pretty standard tech tree where you have a base or whatever, and it starts out crappy and you can build 3 other buildings and research 1/3rd of your tech. Research enough and you can upgrade your base and now build 3 more buidings and 2/3 of your tech, yadda yadda yadda.
Uh... it has Orks?

differences-
you get squads instead of units. squads can be reinforced in the field, and you can customize them (like give a squad 4 rocket launchers and now it's great at killing vehicles, give it 4 flame throwers instead and now its great at breaking morale.)
speaking of morale, very important part of the game. breaking your enemies' units morale is almost as good as killing them, and there are several units great at doing that.

6. Don't know.

7. No creeps that I can recall. Don't think units gain XP either, they are upgraded through tech trees.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
bluemax said:

I finally started the campaign after months and months of playing just the multi with my coworkers and I got stuck on one level of the Space Marine campaign. It's the one where you start on a cliff above an Orc camp and you have the Whirlwind tanks I think. I know you're supposed to take out the Orc camp with the tanks but I can't seem to get them to target them and fire. Is there something I'm missing?
Attack ground with the whirlwinds on the camp - the Ork camp is well within range. After that drop your Assault Marines in and mop up the mess. :)

Mrbob

Play Dawn of War first. Campaign rox, well worth the time to put into it. Use space marines as they are n00bers friendly. The mechanics aren't the same as WC3, but it should not be a hard adjustment.

You get a small taste of using the Imperial Guard in some of the Dawn of War mission campaigns. I'm interested to see how they play out in the expansion when you get more access to their troops and abilities.

bluemax said:

It is funny you mentioned this, because this is the demo level and the whirlwinds work fine. When I played it in the retail copy my whirlwinds got pwned total and wouldn't fire either. You can make it work, just take it slow. Your assault marines can take out those two ork outposts from the top of the cliff. Make sure you replinish to full strength with the assault marines, jump down and take out the two ork warrior training buildings, and then get the last outpost. Make sure you are watching your assault marines so you can recruit new ones on the fly if you start losing them. The whirlwinds disappear after this part once you clear the area and set up your camp.

Whirlwinds work fine overall, just not at this part.

I love using scout marines in infiltration mode plus whirlwinds. Nice destructive combo. :D

Akia

Okay guys I'm starting the tutorial now. Had some bussiness to take care of, the tutroial guy has been repeating himself for the past hour :lol Thanks for all the replys. Hopefully I can get good enough this weekend so I can beat mrbob this weekend.

bluemax said:

I just started playing the game last week, and had the same problem. Apparently, when you start that level, the Whirlwinds are set on Cease-Fire by default. Look for the cease-fire icon, and toggle to attack mode.

Mrbob

Mutanthands said:
I just started playing the game last week, and had the same problem. Apparently, when you start that level, the Whirlwinds are set on Cease-Fire by default. Look for the cease-fire icon, and toggle to attack mode.

:lol

Damn it. Ownz0red myself.

Daigoro

i want this game i want this game i want this game!

i would have bought it by now, but i had gotten into WC3 just around when i foud out this was out. that game burned me out, and i SUCK at RTS. but i love 40k.

whats micro mean? is that just micromanaging all of your forces/buldings/materials etc? and whats dancing and creeping? :eek:

i suck at RTS and they exhaust me, but i find them fun. i should really pick this game up. the demo was real good.

bluemax

Banned
Mutanthands said:

Thanks I'll take a look at that on Monday.

blackadde

Daigoro said:
whats micro mean? is that just micromanaging all of your forces/buldings/materials etc? and whats dancing and creeping? :eek:

(wc3 talking here):

micro means managing your combat units effectively instead of just throwing them at the enemy and hoping that you spent more money than him. remembering to cast spells, moving ranged units out of melee range, focus firing on enemy units, trapping heros etc.

dancing means swapping damaged units out for fresh ones on your front line (since damaged units still deal full damage, you want to keep your units alive for as long as possible).

creeping just means killing the pre-set monsters on the map for $$$ and items.

i've been meaning to get this game but i really burned out on tft a while ago and i'd have to convince my friends to get it too, since i usually don't play (single player) campaign modes in rts games anyways.

Top Bottom