• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner announces Mad Max among their first wave of 4k UHD Blu Ray releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
First Fox, then Sony and now Warner Brothers are on board with UHD Blu Ray:

http://www.indiantelevision.com/tel...nt-to-debut-uhd-blu-ray-titles-in-2016-151230

To coincide with the availability of Ultra HD Blu-ray players in the marketplace in early 2016, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be offering four titles on Ultra HD (UHD) Blu-ray at initial launch showcasing 4K Ultra HD resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR), offering consumers a sharper, brighter and more colourful home entertainment viewing experience than ever before.

The first available titles will be Mad Max: Fury Road, San Andreas, The Lego Movie and Pan.

Following quickly will be theatrical new release titles available day and date with their initial home entertainment release as well as a selection of catalog titles throughout the year including Man of Steel and Pacific Rim.

By the end of 2016, Warner Bros. will have over 35 titles available on Ultra HD Blu-ray. To complement the disc releases, Warner Bros. will also expand the titles available on 4K Ultra HD with HDR via digital retailers. Dolby Atmos will also be included on select titles for a truly immersive home theater experience.

jett

D-Member
But the digital intermediate of MM is 2K.

Good looking out, WB.

edit: they're all 2K DIs, even the Lego movie, lol. 4K is gonna be great.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Will existing Blu-ray players (especially something like the PS4) be able to play UHD BR discs, or are there hardware requirements?

FAsmGRg.gif

will buy at a high price

rjinaz

Sweet. My 4k tv is ready! Though I'm mostly a digital guy when it comes to movies (thanks VUDU!) so this will only be for my "must haves".

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Fury Road already looks incredible on blu-ray so I'm happy with mine. Not interested in that black and white nonsense version of the film either, this film was meant for color.

4K is looking more and more like a gimmick each day. It's the Super-bit of blu-ray (remember that from DVD days?) and totally unnecessary when the film already looks flawless on a 60 inch screen.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Will existing Blu-ray players (especially something like the PS4) be able to play UHD BR discs, or are there hardware requirements?

No. This just like every other disk hardware upgrade

DVD players read CDs but CD players don't read DVDs

Blu Ray players read DVDs but DVD players don't read Blu Rays

UHD Blu Ray players read Blu Rays but Blu Ray players don't read UHD Blu Rays

Nipo

Fury Road already looks incredible on blu-ray so I'm happy with mine. Not interested in that black and white nonsense version of the film either, this film was meant for color.

4K is looking more and more like a gimmick each day. It's the Super-bit of blu-ray (remember that from DVD days?) and totally unnecessary when the film already looks flawless on a 60 inch screen.

UHD is more than just 4k. The improved color range and sound is worth it for movies lovers even if they don't have a big enough TV or sit close enough to realize the full benefits of 4k.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

Yes, this Warner announcement today certainly indicates UHD Blu Ray is a gimmick. -_-

Begbie

The real difference with UHD isn't the resolution bump, but the addition of ATMOS (*) and HDR (*) support for the expanded color range

I've never seen a film with HDR to my knowledge or heard one using ATMOS

It seems UHD is targeted towards the home theatre market, whether there is enough of a jump remains to be seen. Either way hopefully THIS stops DVD, please DVD you had a good run, now just go away

Mindwipe

Irrespective of the resolution of the DI, Fury Road and the Lego Movie will both look awesome in HDR with 10 bit colour.

The real difference with UHD isn't the resolution bump, but the addition of ATMOS (*) and HDR (*) support for the expanded color range

It seems UHD is targeted towards the home theatre market, whether there is enough of a jump remains to be seen. Either way hopefully THIS stops DVD, please DVD you had a good run, now just go away

Dolby Atmos? It's been on multiple Blu-rays since Transformers: Age of Extinction.

I'd be intrigued to see how big of a difference HDR does make, but I'm perfectly content with my 1080p 60" at the moment.

Tobor

Bingo. This is going to be a niche format for videophiles. Any new physical format for pretty much anything will be for enthusiasts going forward.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Luckily, I'm done with physical media. You dudes have fun upgrading your movies once again.

I will never, ever understand this line of thinking. New format is bad because I don't want to buy all my movies and music again! So dont. Keep your old movies, enjoy them. And when a new release comes along enjoy it in the highest quality possible.

eerik9000

Wish they'd start with The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Blade Runner, etc. classics they have recently remastered in 4K instead.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah I read it. I thought if it could upscale 1080p content to 4k, it would be able to do 4k natively.

I mean..this is kind of like how its always worked in previous generations.

....no?

That's like expecting a 1080p DVD upscaler to play Blu-rays.

Syriel

UHD is more than just 4k. The improved color range and sound is worth it for movies lovers even if they don't have a big enough TV or sit close enough to realize the full benefits of 4k.

Once mass market TV's start supporting Dolby Vision, you'll have a point.

As it is, the vast majority of 4K TVs on the market aren't really offering an improved color range over high end 1080p sets.

And 4K doesn't offer any sound improvements. It's just video.

bill0527

....no?

That's like expecting a 1080p DVD upscaler to play Blu-rays.

I think that's a reach. Who buys a 1080p DVD upscaler that's not Blu-Ray?

You buy a device that says on the box it will upscale to a certain resolution, you expect it can do that resolution natively.

I mean.. is that really some kind of backwards ass logical thinking on my part?

BocoDragon

Millions of people in the mid-2000s.

What you bought is the equivalent of those. A stop-gap solution to make old movies look good on new TV sets before the actual format meant for your TV is ready.

Quasar

Yeah. Resolution is maybe the least interesting part. Really curious to see how they price hardware given how display prices are plummeting.

Slaythe

By the time 4K is "the norm", there will be more people with optic fiber than 4K bluray players.

So to be honest I think this is just still born.

I jumped on the DVD, I jumped on the bluray, but i'm passing this. No point.

If it's Digital sure, if not I don't care, I'm content when regular full HD.

BocoDragon

No. It's perfectly understandable. It's a product that partially exists to ensnare people with similar sounding words. You'd think a 4k-upscaling Blu ray player could play 4k Blu-rays, right?

But the truth of it is that 4k Blu-rays aren't even available yet. Nothing on store shelves can play them (last time I checked).

It was the best thing you could buy for your 4k right now though. And for $99? Not a big deal right?

Dead

well not really...yet
Digital streaming looks like shit on OLED

Physical media is the only solution if you own a high end setup.

Ill be first on the bandwagon for the first decent UHD player

jett

D-Member

You buy a device that says on the box it will upscale to a certain resolution, you expect it can do that resolution natively.

You bought the 2015 equivalent of that shit.

Your logic is not entirely backwards, you simply got hit by dubious and misleading marketing.

bill0527

No. It's perfectly understandable. It's marketing designed to ensnare people with similar sounding words. You'd think a 4k-upscaling Blu ray player could play 4k Blu-rays, right?

But the truth of it is that 4k Blu-rays aren't even available yet. Nothing on store shelves can play them (last time I checked).

Ok so it looks like I've been hooked by some slick marketing.

I thought that 4k Blu Rays were already available. If you do a 4k Blu Ray search at Amazon a couple of pages of movies pop up that say 'Mastered in 4k' at the top of the box, and they are available to purchase right now. I haven't bought any yet. Things like this

61t2m83A6EL._AA160_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom