• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner announces Mad Max among their first wave of 4k UHD Blu Ray releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Um...............................................

So I have a sizable Blu Ray collection.

Are 4K Blu Ray players able to upscale 1080p Blu Rays? Will the IQ take a hit?

I don't wanna buy my collection all over again D:

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It will upscale them. It does make 1080p blu rays look great. But they won't look as good as a 4k blu-ray, obviously.

I think we're to the level where a 1080p blu-ray won't make anyone groan... it's just a stunning bonus to have it in 4k (but then again, we turn snobby about these things pretty quickly... maybe we will say "blech" to a 1080p image someday :p)

Syriel

Ok so it looks like I've been hooked by some slick marketing.

I thought that 4k Blu Rays were already available. If you do a 4k Blu Ray search at Amazon a couple of pages of movies pop up that say 'Mastered in 4k' at the top of the box, and they are available to purchase right now. I haven't bought any yet. Things like this

61t2m83A6EL._AA160_.jpg

Yep, you've fallen to marketing.

The film was "Mastered in 4K" (aka scanned in at 4K), but then the digital file was converted for 1080p before being pressed onto the Blu-ray disc. ;)

I mean, how big is your collection? Do you really NEED them all in 4K?

1080p is good enough for most movies for me. My absolute favorite where I want the best image quality possible though, I'll replace those with 4K Editions when available.

Dead

well not really...yet

Speaking as someone with a 4K TV, upscaled Blu-Ray looks excellent.

I definitely would not recommend anyone to randomly upgrade all their Blu-Ray's to UHD.

For me, it will be rebuying select films (and of course looking out for ones with major improvements) and buying UHD copies of all new movies.

Syriel

The evil telecom overlords have not held your bandwidth hostage?

What's a bandwidth cap? ;)

My ISP's "fair use" policy prohibits sustained transfers of more than 48 hours past a certain speed. That's pretty much impossible to hit as a home user.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I thought that 4k Blu Rays were already available. If you do a 4k Blu Ray search at Amazon a couple of pages of movies pop up that say 'Mastered in 4k' at the top of the box, and they are available to purchase right now. I haven't bought any yet. Things like this

61t2m83A6EL._AA160_.jpg

you fell perfectly into their trap. Dont feel bad, you were the target market for these things, people who recognise the numbers but dont fully understand how the tech works. Its BS that they are allowed to market that way.

BocoDragon

The evil telecom overlords have not held your bandwidth hostage?

Everytime people act like bandwidth is a restriction on streaming, I wonder who is watching all those movies on Netflix or buying iTunes movies....

orochi91

Speaking as someone with a 4K TV, upscaled Blu-Ray looks excellent.

I definitely would not recommend anyone to randomly upgrade all their Blu-Ray's to UHD.

For me, it will be rebuying select films (and of course looking out for ones with major improvements) and buying UHD copies of all new movies.

It will upscale them. It does make 1080p blu rays look great. But they won't look as good as a 4k blu-ray, obviously.

I think we're to the level where a 1080p blu-ray won't make anyone groan... it's just a stunning bonus to have it in 4k (but then again, we turn snobby about these things pretty quickly... maybe we will say "blech" to a 1080p image someday :p)

Oh thank god, so 1080p films will look a bit better when they're upscaled, but not as good as native 4K. That's a trade-off I'm more than content with.

I mean, how big is your collection? Do you really NEED them all in 4K?

1080p is good enough for most movies for me. My absolute favorite where I want the best image quality possible though, I'll replace those with 4K Editions when available.

Yea, I'll probably do the same for a few select titles like Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy in 4K or The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K.

My collection is nearing 100 titles so far, with a few more on the way, due to all the holiday sales on Blu Rays from Amazon.

BocoDragon

Oh thank god, so 1080p films will look a bit better when they're upscaled, but not as good as native 4K. That's a trade-off I'm more than content with.

Yeah it's far far less of a problem than watching DVD on HD sets.

ascii42

4K resolution is double 1080p in each direction, so it just has to display a block of four pixels for every 1. Incidentally, it's also triple 720p in each direction. So upscaling either resolution won't be a problem.

Syriel

Yeah it's far far less of a problem than watching DVD on HD sets.

Eh, it all depends on the scaling hardware used and how the video signal is conveyed.

DVD on a HD set can look great if either the player or the set has a great scaler. If it has a crap scaler, it'll look poor.

The same is true with 4K sets and Blu, and it is even easier there due to the exact 4x pixel multiplier.

BocoDragon

Eh, it all depends on the scaling hardware used and how the video signal is conveyed.

DVD on a HD set can look great if either the player or the set has a great scaler. If it has a crap scaler, it'll look poor.

The same is true with 4K sets and Blu.

I suppose that's true. I don't cringe when I watch DVD rips on Kodi.

eerik9000

Good thing is you don't have to buy them again. Your old Blu-ray discs will work fine for years to come. Most of the films from the last 15 years or so won't be available in 4K anyways, because they were either filmed or post-produced at lower resolutions (mostly 2K).

orochi91

4K resolution is double 1080p in each direction, so it just has to display a block of four pixels for every 1. Incidentally, it's also triple 720p in each direction. So upscaling either resolution won't be a problem.
Good thing is you don't have to buy them again. Your old Blu-ray discs will work fine for years to come. Most of the films from the last 15 years or so won't be available in 4K anyways, because they were either filmed or post-produced at lower resolutions (mostly 2K).

Yea, now that I've processed this, I'm no longer regretting all these impulse Blu Ray purchases, lol

A top-of-the-line 4K player will be on my shopping list heading into the Holiday season next year, specifically one with an excellent upscaler.

BocoDragon

Is that true? I know the early digital films were filmed at very low resolutions (Attack of the Clones, etc), but I assumed they ramped up to 4k by the late 2000s?

And of course all shot-on-film movies have 4k potential. Whether or not they've been scanned at 4k is another story.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Idiots.

They should have remastered 2001: A Space Odyssey using an 8K scan and then downsampled to 4K to show the awesome!

Especially as 2001 was shot on 65(/70mm) filmstock and will continue to wow us long into the future. Comparatively, we have a bunch of films shot digitally locked forever at ~2K.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who is this geared towards then? At least Blurays played on every PS3. My PS4 cant play this shit and apparently there are no 4k bluray players out there?

entremet

61t2m83A6EL._AA160_.jpg

This is why this physical media will continue to have its asswhopped by streaming and digital downloads.

It's just too confusing for laymen.

Who is this geared towards then? At least Blurays played on every PS3. My PS4 cant play this shit and apparently there are no 4k bluray players out there?

Honestly?

Hardcore cinephiles with the setup and hardware to make it work.

The common folks won't be buying these with Smart TVs gaining ground.

BocoDragon

....they're going to release 4k blu-ray players.

But the digital intermediate of MM is 2K.

Good looking out, WB.

edit: they're all 2K DIs, even the Lego movie, lol. 4K is gonna be great.
Yep if you thought it was hard convincing your parents there was a difference between SD and HD, good luck with the new '4k' haha

BocoDragon

Honestly?

Hardcore cinephiles with the setup and hardware to make it work.

The common folks won't be buying these with Smart TVs gaining ground.

Yeah... it seems like this will be the laserdisc of our era.

I don't see my mom ever buying one. :p

eerik9000

Is that true? I know the early digital films were filmed at very low resolutions (Attack of the Clones, etc), but I assumed they ramped up to 4k by the late 2000s?

And of course all shot-on-film movies have 4k potential. Whether or not they've been scanned at 4k is another story.
Yes. Take a look at Mad Max: Fury Road listed in the article for instance.

This is what's listed in IMDb under technical specs:
Cinematographic Process
ARRIRAW (2.8K) (source format)
ProRes 4:2:2 (1080p/24) (source format)
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)

Shot at 2.8K and 1080p resolutions, post-produced/mastered in 2K.

4K still isn't the dominant resolution for digital intermediates even in 2015.

Movies shot on film in the last 10-15 years aren't much different case because they're still post-produced digitally.

BocoDragon

Yes. Take a look at Mad Max: Fury Road listed in the article for instance.

This is what's listed in IMDb under technical specs:
Cinematographic Process
ARRIRAW (2.8K) (source format)
ProRes 4:2:2 (1080p/24) (source format)

Shot at 2.8K and 1080p resolutions, post-produced/mastered in 2K.

Movies shot on film in the last 10-15 years aren't much different case because they're still post-produced digitally.

Oh wow. That's quite a letdown. Thanks for the info.

....will they more consistently shoot at 4k from now on....?

I guess the early part of this century will be considered a low point in resolutions, considering 20th century films can scan in at 4k no problem.

ascii42

I guess the early part of this century will be considered a low point in resolutions, considering 20th century films can scan in at 4k no problem.
Yeah, even The Hobbit movies, which were filmed in 5K, were mastered in 2K (probably way too much processing to do visual effects for a 3D 48fps movie any higher)

Hattori

Banned
Yea, now that I've processed this, I'm no longer regretting all these impulse Blu Ray purchases, lol

A top-of-the-line 4K player will be on my shopping list heading into the Holiday season next year, specifically one with an excellent upscaler.
wait for an OPPO UHD BD Player, supposedly they will come out late 2016.

eerik9000

Even movies that are shot digitally at 4K or higher resolutions are mostly finished at lower resolutions. Let's look at some other big films from this year:

Jurassic World
Panavision Super 70 (source format) (some scenes)
Redcode RAW (6K) (source format) (some shots)
Super 35 (source format)

Shot on 35mm/75mm film and digitally at 6K. Mastered at 2K resolution.

The Martian
H.264 (4K) (source format)
Redcode RAW (6K) (also dual-strip 3-D) (source format)

Shot at 4K and 6K resolutions. Mastered at 2K.

It all comes down to rendering special effects at 4K being much more time and money consuming than at 2K, and every penny counts.

BocoDragon

Even movies that are shot digitally at 4K or higher resolutions are mostly finished at lower resolutions. Let's look at some other big films from this year:

Jurassic World
Panavision Super 70 (source format) (some scenes)
Redcode RAW (6K) (source format) (some shots)
Super 35 (source format)

Shot on 35mm/75mm film and digitally at 6K. Mastered at 2K resolution.

The Martian
H.264 (4K) (source format)
Redcode RAW (6K) (also dual-strip 3-D) (source format)

Shot at 4K and 6K resolutions. Mastered at 2K.

It all comes down to rendering special effects at 4K being much more time and money consuming than at 2K, and every penny counts.

I guess Hollywood has zero incentive to sell new TVs... outside of Sony. :p
Even then it would take a strong mandate from on high to inflate a movie's budget like that.

Looking forward to giving my Sony 55X8509C a good workout with UHD blu-ray. Cannot wait for the players to come out now.

Yeah some early releases are newer movies, which have 2k scans (still should look better than 1080p though) but with things like better colours and HDR, along with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X surround sound, it will give an overall better movie experience at home.

Also it's early days, more movies will be released with native 4k scans, newer and older ones, so we can look forward to movies looking even better as time goes on.

Can there be actual effort in the box designs for 4K movies? Blu-ray boxes are ugly and uninspired and turned me off hard from collecting them, which in today's world is the only reason to buy physical copies.

Skelter

Banned
Can there be actual effort in the box designs for 4K movies? Blu-ray boxes are ugly and uninspired and turned me off hard from collecting them, which in today's world is the only reason to buy physical copies.

If you really think that's the only reason for buying physical copies then why bother buying them?

Oh lawd, HDR Mad Max.

Also with them promoting 4k blu-rays with Mad Max and it being nominated for best picture..... we´re getting a sequel. And i will hear none of it from you doubters.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, even The Hobbit movies, which were filmed in 5K, were mastered in 2K (probably way too much processing to do visual effects for a 3D 48fps movie any higher)

Yeah it would be pointless because the current digital cinema standard doesn't go any higher than 2K for 48fps 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom