• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner announces Mad Max among their first wave of 4k UHD Blu Ray releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question: Say I get a 4k player and 4k blurays, will they looks equal to or greater than a regular bluray on a 1080p tv?

I ask cause theres no way I can afford a 4k tv any time in the next 2-3 years at least. But getting a head start on the actual media upgrade would be nice. But I wouldn't do it obviously if those UHDs would be virtually worthless to me in the interim, being that they either cant downscale at all (seems unlikely) or as im more ignorantly worried, might downscale poorly and would look worse than a native 1080p bluray.

Am I stupid?

samn

Stupid question: Say I get a 4k player and 4k blurays, will they looks equal to or greater than a regular bluray on a 1080p tv?

I ask cause theres no way I can afford a 4k tv any time in the next 2-3 years at least. But getting a head start on the actual media upgrade would be nice. But I wouldn't do it obviously if those UHDs would be virtually worthless to me in the interim, being that they either cant downscale at all (seems unlikely) or as im more ignorantly worried, might downscale poorly and would look worse than a native 1080p bluray.

Am I stupid?

Equal to, unless the 4K Blu-Ray was a better remaster

jett

D-Member
Can there be actual effort in the box designs for 4K movies? Blu-ray boxes are ugly and uninspired and turned me off hard from collecting them, which in today's world is the only reason to buy physical copies.

If you're all into collectibles you should look into digibook releases. Those are really nice.

ef4ea92a.jpg

Se7en-blu-ray-cover-art-digibook.jpg

digibook%20jpg.ashx

The Beard

Am I stupid?

The player will recognize that your TV doesn't have HDMI 2.0 and will basically act as a regular BluRay player. You likely wouldn't see any benefit. I definitely would not recommend getting a 4K BR player in its first couple years, especially if you do not have a 4K TV.

If they're anything like OG BluRay players they'll load disks slow as fuck, they'll be slightly smaller than a VCR, and they'll be 4 times cheaper and efficient by the time you can afford a 4K TV.

Also, first edition BluRays were a mess. Most of those movies got re-released with superior transfers 2 or 3 years later.

jett

D-Member
They look really nice, but what are the hubs like? Disc protection is number one and sleeves don't do enough.

I think that depends on each release. Some do sleeves, some have regular hubs on either side of the hard cover of the book.

MrJames

Taking their sweet-ass time, along with Oppo.

UHD Blu-ray is supposed to have a big launch at CES so we should see all the players next week. Press conferences for LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc are happening on Tuesday.

Oppo gives no fucks. They release when it's ready. I'd be happy if they launch something in 2016.

Bowler

Digital streaming looks like shit on OLED

Physical media is the only solution if you own a high end setup.

Ill be first on the bandwagon for the first decent UHD player

Yep

unless it's 2006 all over again and the uhd bluray players are 1000 bucks

orochi91

UHD Blu-ray is supposed to have a big launch at CES so we should see all the players next week. Press conferences for LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc are happening on Tuesday.

Oppo gives no fucks. They release when it's ready. I'd be happy if they launch something in 2016.

As it should be, I expect them to have best 4K Blu Ray player in the market.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
While it is more easily quantifiable to determine which movies have been given a digital edit and colour grading from this decade and last, I'm not sure what to say about the movies back in the 90's, back when non-linear editing was starting to come into form for film. It's not as easy to figure out which movies that have been given an NLE have had it done as a reference so the final edit would be cut by hand (more common in the early part of the decade, as hard drives were not large enough to store an entire film at a high resolution), or if they printed it out based on what they pieced together on screen. For example, Stanley Kubrick's final film, Eyes Wide Shut, used an Avid system for editing, but I couldn't for the life tell you if he actually gave the final edit a physical cut. Are the original camera negatives still in the vaults? Did they not think that we were gonna have better imagery some 20 years later? What's to become of a movie like Super Mario Bros, which was the first movie of its kind to have the digital effects shots scanned into a computer so they could adjust the effects at their will? A movie that was a complete failure at the box office? Not to mention other movies that have had a digital composite during that era. There's just so much to cover during this decade in film history if we were to give 4K BD a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom