• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning about Skull and Bones Game

Freeza93

Banned
I played the technical test.

Graphics are Ps3 Upscaled to early Ps4 Days. HDR is nice. Water looks miles better in odyssey.

Hud infested mobile look a like

Sound quality is ass, so are the voiceovers(german) they are usually really good i give ubi that but not in this game.

Less freedom than in blackflag.

i dont know who the target audience for this game is.

as by my moral code i stand with the gamers not with the multi billion dollar company and their fake nda that i just broke(i know how a real nda looks i would be sued into the ground in a real one).

So its just a warning for potential buyers its a full price mobile game that has absolutely no identity. I think even for ubi this is bad. usually you can enjoy their games sonewhat but this . This will be a 60-65 on Metacritic AT BEST.

Yes its not the full game but mechanics are in place and everything else too. And we know how much of that will change til release.

this game is fucking trash and i will die on this hill.

imagine a worse blackflag with more customization and mtx infested, you can only go to land on set points and it looks not good. Walking animation reminds me on Ps2 i kid you not. im baffled what this is? I think the devs themselves have no clue wtf this is

Lunarorbit

I remember playing black flag for a grad school class over 10 years ago. I think it was on the ps3?

Either way, why is this game still being developed? I really liked the ship combat in black flag; it felt new for a console game and better than the ship mini game in ac America (whatever it was called).

But now? It's got all this stank attached to its name. Between this and beyond good and evil two... Just end it already

Freeza93

Banned
The best thing is you remember playing skyrim on a Ps3? Do you remember the black loading screen every time you dntwr s house or leave a dungeon or whatever.

You can have that here. When you leave the ship loading screen. enter it loading screen. And its not a 2 seconds screen its 10-12 secs. unbelievable

And you do it often.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Stop. It's not a "fake NDA" it's just one with no real legal weight behind it and you're no trailblazer for talking about your experience.

. . . also they have the right of it:

Pretends_to_be shocked.jfif

We've all known this for months now and at this point any interest for folks who haven't played is purely based on morbid curiosity. S&B had a chance in an empty-ish 2022. Has no chance in the current release landscape.

MadPanda

Banned
I remember when it was announced at roughly the same time as sea of thieves and I thought they would compete in the market 😅

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think this is likely unfair. The game doesn't even have a release date yet.

I've taken part in NDA'd technical tests for games a few months from release that looked nothing like the finished product. It's entirely possible that you experienced a build that used placeholder assets and scaled back effects, lighting, textures, everything. If it was ready to be shown, they'd probably be doing so, but it's not, so that's why they do it privately, pay you and ask you not to talk about it.

Spaceman292

Banned
Imagine this corpse sitting in the ubi offices for ten whole years. Just throw it out the window and get it over with. Unburden yourselves. No one expects it to be good anyway.

emivita

skull-and-bones-ui-looks-like-that-mock-western-elden-ring-v0-n63mjabllca91.jpg

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

Ar¢tos

Graphics being bad in tech tests aren't unusual. I participated in many tests were old builds were used, some lacked textures in many objects/backgrounds.

Dr.Morris79

Why, why are the games that should be great run by fuck ups

This was an easy one. A better AC IV's ship combat and mechanics.. HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP??

And also look at The Day Before, exactly what you'd want from a game, run by fuck ups

Forspoken?
Saints Row?
On and on and on and on

How? Why??

Whats the point? They might as well use the money to wipe their arse. Utterly pointless drudge.

Freeza93

Banned

I've taken part in NDA'd technical tests for games a few months from release that looked nothing like the finished product. It's entirely possible that you experienced a build that used placeholder assets and scaled back effects, lighting, textures, everything. If it was ready to be shown, they'd probably be doing so, but it's not, so that's why they do it privately, pay you and ask you not to talk about it.
NFE9g09.gif

Freeza93

Banned
Graphics being bad in tech tests aren't unusual. I participated in many tests were old builds were used, some lacked textures in many objects/backgrounds.
I give you that. Promotional videos look like garbage too. Also even if, graphics would not solve mobile game mechanics that are only in place to get mtx money out of it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Come on now. This thing was supposed to come out last fall. Last. Fall. If the product they are showing off in a technical test NOW looks disappointing that is horrible.

. . .we need more non-NDA'd coverage of this game, but it's pretty much looking like a DOA product that had a chance once, but now is too little too-much Ubi-Executive interference.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Come on now. This thing was supposed to come out last fall. Last. Fall. If the product they are showing off in a technical test NOW looks disappointing that is horrible.

. . .we need more non-NDA'd coverage of this game, but it's pretty much looking like a DOA product that had a chance once, but now is too little too-much Ubi-Executive interference.

You can't judge the game based on a test. If you haven't experienced this sort of test, it's nothing like the ones that have public access like Call of Duty's preorder incentives or Halo's test flights.

I've done tests where every texture in the game is a checkerboard, cars have square wheels, pedestrians don't animate, they just glide along.

If you saw that 3 months from launch you'd think the developers were screwed. But they're not giving you the latest, most complete build of a game when they do a test.

Which is why I think it's unfair of the OP to paint the game in this light. I'll probably never play Skull and Bones, I'm not a big fan of Ubisoft games, and if it's terrible when it does come out, then sure slate it, no objection from me.

But it seems unfair to the people who'll likely be working really hard on this evidently troubled development having their work not even be seen and be told that it's terrible by some guy who got paid to test what were likely some very specific things to do with matchmaking/networking and not talk about it, because what he experienced didn't represent the game.

And it's a game that isn't out soon. It could be worked on for another year or more.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

This is not always true, to say the least. Ubisoft does technical tests with the main focus being connectivity and server stress testing for all their online games.

More often than not what you see is what you get. Some details might be tweaked depending on time until release, but usually a technical test is a pretty decent indicator of the final product. Especially in terms of HUD, loading moments and overall gameplay mechanics

I know this because I have done this exact thing for a lot of their games.

And besides, they've shown the game. Multiple times. And it looks like dogwater. Nothing about what OP is saying sounds wrong if you've seen those gameplay videos.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Its ubi, its not my first test. Extraction was 1:1 the game in test as in release.

Otherwise you are right but not in ubis case. Certainly not for AAA.
So you call me a liar then when I asked you about it you said I was right.

Pretty cool.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Yep, the game is fucking horrible lol. I kept pushing thinking maybe it'll start being fun but it's brutal. Awful graphics, shit naval combat, don't think there's any ground-based combat, fetch quests galore, cluttered UI and boring as fuck.

They should scrap it. This game is DOA.

VN1X

Banned
Then you are an idiot. Its your money burning. Even if you buy 1000 copies it will flop. Guaranteed.

Spite over a video game. Grow up.
Dude I'm only being facetious as your OP is stating the obvious to the nth degree (in a very juvenile manner I might add).

Anyway carry on.

Max_Po

Banned
I thought it would evolve during development to Black Flag sequel. .. I only saw it once.

ello Phil, La Quebecy Frenchy from mono-real

u buy Ubisoft I giv deal... 6 billion leareys !!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom