• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was that the greatest troll in the history of the industry? (FFVII)

This right here…I saw the FFVII logo and couldn't believe it…I kept waiting for the PS1 footage to morph into PS4 remake footage…and it just…never…happened :'(

lol I kept thinking the same thing. When they showed the small screen inside the big screen, I assumed they were going to do what they did with other remaster/remake trailers (like KH1.5/2.5/FFX HD) and make the screen explode and transition into the PS4 version. But the longer the trailer went on, the more I thought, "Um... is this for real? Just moving FFVII PC to the PS4?" lol.

The sad thing is, SE isn't really trolling. They are just completely out of touch with everything.

Nibel

'Trolling'

This was not trolling. This was weeks and months of hyping up based on vague statements from so-called insiders, ignoring the fact that one high-profile Final Fantasy is already in development and the misunderstanding of the definition of a techdemo colliding with the reality that Square Enix is trying to please its annoying fanbase with something that doesn't cost much in terms of time and budget.

At least that freaking FFVII Remake rumor is dead for now and we can move on to more realistic ideas.

Square2015

What about the FFVII PS3 demo? They're at least using graphics at that level right? Otherwise what was the point of THAT demo/tease?

Alebrije

'Trolling'

This was not trolling. This was weeks and months of hyping up based on vague statements from so-called insiders, ignoring the fact that one high-profile Final Fantasy is already in development and the misunderstanding of the definition of a techdemo colliding with the reality that Square Enix is trying to please its annoying fanbase with something that doesn't cost much in terms of time and budget.

At least that freaking FFVII Remake rumor is dead for now and we can move on to more realistic ideas.

Agree. We need to move to real ideas like The Last Guardian

Kumo

I've now conceded to the fact that a true remake will never happen. Now give me FF12 Remastered, SE.

Smellycat

I really wish I saw this live. I am still laughing about it

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Been thinking about it....

This was not a troll. We are taking it as a troll because of what we wanted and the fact they know we want it. I don't think that this is trolling at all, though.

It is the celebration of PlayStation. VII is one of, if not THE, most important and poignant title in Sony's history. Square was there to celebrate with the fans by getting that title emulated on PS4 so it can continue to transcend generations (as it rightfully should).

Square knows it has something infinitely special with VII. We are all in love with the idea of a remake instead of the remake itself since it obviously doesn't exist yet.

All of the younger people who are getting PS4s and have never experienced VII for the first time, but are aware of all the hoopla around it can now be on the same page as all of us. Be honest, you guys would love to go back when you were experiencing it for the first time!

Do people want a remake? Sure! Of course. No one did anything wrong today, though. The company that made the game is getting it running on new hardware. The reaction from the crowd showed how meaningful that title is. That ALL falls under celebrating PlayStation. If anything, for Sony fans especially, it showed that VII will always be Sony's baby.

Sure, we all held our breath for a few seconds today, but that is because we want that moment so bad. That moment being them announcing a remake. Just because they don't doesn't mean they are just toying with us. Years ago, one of the Square guys said it would take 300 people 10 years and over $100 million to make a remake of FF7 look like it did in the tech demo. We want the announcement, they want to make sure the company doesn't go bankrupt.

Look forward to XV and be happy that everyone holds VII in as high of a regard as we do. There are some things that happen only when a million other things fall into the right places, and not because we just "feel" it.

My two cents, anyway :)

It wouldn't have been if people didn't expect a remake every time FFVII is mentioned.

He was trumpeting the announcement as it was the second coming.
As someone that was there front and center and with FF VII being my favorite game of all time, it was a horrible moment, lol.

Defuser

I think it's safe to say if you see Shinji Hashimoto on any stage in the future, immediately assume low expectations and trolling.

I couldn't believe it...what an asshole move that was. PC had the shitty music right?

Yes it did, but this version will have very crappy achievements... yay?

As someone who is not a giant fan of FF7 I found this hilarious, its such a dick move even if they certainly didn't intend for it to be thought of that way. Also this is SE were talking about, expect them to sell this downgraded music version for 20$ because SE.

Xpliskin

'Trolling'

It was all an elaborate plan that lead up to this point. A troll years in the making!

Been thinking about it....

This was not a troll. We are taking it as a troll because of what we wanted and the fact they know we want it. I don't think that this is trolling at all, though.

It is the celebration of PlayStation. VII is one of, if not THE, most important and poignant title in Sony's history. Square was there to celebrate with the fans by getting that title emulated on PS4 so it can continue to transcend generations (as it rightfully should).

Square knows it has something infinitely special with VII. We are all in love with the idea of a remake instead of the remake itself since it obviously doesn't exist yet.

All of the younger people who are getting PS4s and have never experienced VII for the first time, but are aware of all the hoopla around it can now be on the same page as all of us. Be honest, you guys would love to go back when you were experiencing it for the first time!

Do people want a remake? Sure! Of course. No one did anything wrong today, though. The company that made the game is getting it running on new hardware. The reaction from the crowd showed how meaningful that title is. That ALL falls under celebrating PlayStation. If anything, for Sony fans especially, it showed that VII will always be Sony's baby.

Sure, we all held our breath for a few seconds today, but that is because we want that moment so bad. That moment being them announcing a remake. Just because they don't doesn't mean they are just toying with us. Years ago, one of the Square guys said it would take 300 people 10 years and over $100 million to make a remake of FF7 look like it did in the tech demo. We want the announcement, they want to make sure the company doesn't go bankrupt.

Look forward to XV and be happy that everyone holds VII in as high of a regard as we do. There are some things that happen only when a million other things fall into the right places, and not because we just "feel" it.

My two cents, anyway :)

You guys are making a generalization out of this.

Even people who don't follow news or have accounts on boards are in awe at how that segment was presented.

He introduced it as a big announcement.

The crowd reaction tells everything imo.

I don't even care about FF and was underwhelmed.

Definitely a bad move was god-tier trolling.

wmlk

You guys are making a generalization out of this.

Even people who don't follow news or have accounts on boards are in awe at how that segment was presented.

He introduced it as a big announcement.

The crowd reaction tells everything imo.

I don't even care about FF and was underwhelmed.

Definitely a bad move.

None of them are saying that it wasn't.

i seriously hope that nintendo doesn't do this with f-zero in the future. at least FF XV and kh 3 look amazing, but very unnecessary to wake a revive a dead dream of a lot of fans to kill it in front of them again =(

I played it for the first time not too long ago and it's aged like crap.

It definitely needs a remake if it really is as special as you seem to believe.

KoopaTheCasual

'Trolling'

Amen.

The thing is.....

This announcement in itself would have been neat, and a good way to acknowledge the fans. But the way this was presented, it was a huge troll move. Announce the game at the conference, but do it like they did with Suikoden 1 and 2 on PSN.

Hashimoto being there should have been to just show the FF VII logo with the announcement of PC port coming. He could have shown us FF XV trailer, even old one, and that should have been the real focus.

At the end of the day, I have moved on TBH. I will buy this game on PS4 with achievement even if I already own it on Vita.

I played it for the first time not too long ago and it's aged like crap.

It definitely needs a remake if it really is as special as you seem to believe.

Oh, I agree. It did age like crap. That's why Square will more than likely make this port easier on the eyes through technical fixes, but nothing major. Play it going into it giving it slack for being 17 years old. You may still be one of the people who just don't find the charm of it. That's okay, too!

mike23

I didn't assume it because I am not crazy and I know that SE has struggled with development, that the bulk of their staff are tied up in the existing white whale projects they've been chasing for a decade, and that they weren't magically going to have 300+ people working in secret on a fan fever dream rather than a new product.

When the logo came up, my immediate reaction was "oh, FF7 PSX playable on PS4. Wonder if they're using Gaikai or they've got the emulator running? Wouldn't streaming like 5 minutes of the game actually be more bandwidth than just downloading it?" The fact that it's an actual port was a pleasant surprise, honestly.

It got my hopes up quite a bit and then crushed them. I'm not in the loop on SE's development situation, so for all I knew they could have been working on this for years. Also, I think the most compelling reason I feel like I was trolled is because a port of a PC game I can buy on Steam for $5 is not something worthy of appearing at an event like this. It didn't even cross my mind that this could be the case simply because it's ridiculous of them to make a big deal out of a shitty port.

'Trolling'

This, more or less.

I do think it was pretty stupid to announce it with the amount of fanfare they did, though. Not even the original PS1 Classics release was announced as extravagantly, and that was arguably a bigger deal considering the only way to play FFVII at that point in time was either through the original PS1 discs or the (shitty) PC version that might not have even ran properly on modern computers at that time.

wmlk

I suppose you asked hashimoto himself.

Unless you're an expert on japanese culture, I disagree.

Opinions.

Man, is it such a stretch to think that Square is out of touch? You're acting like I'm making an attack on your intelligence or something.

Xpliskin

Man, is it such a stretch to think that Square is out of touch? You're acting like I'm making an attack on your intelligence or something.

opinions. I said I disagreed, and you're the one bringing up intelligence. I don't know man.

Jay RaR

I'm not sure if SE was fucking with us with this news but if they did it wasn't fucking funny.

I can't think of many troll moments in the industry, but I can think of a recent one with the Super Smash Bros Direct when Sakurai lied to us that Zero Suit Samus wasn't playable because changing forms is now removed. Clever bastard.

Top Bottom