• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: ‘Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart’ and the power of the PS5

Rolla

Banned

“One of the cool things about it, is that it’s all still live gameplay where you can control your character,” game director Mike Daly said. “All those worlds that you’re traveling through during those sequences are real, fully fleshed out worlds that you could just, like, stop and play in under other circumstances.”

“As a studio, we were lucky enough to be one of the earlier developers who helped work with the new technologies as they were coming online,” creative director Marcus Smith told The Post in a recent interview. “Something is changing here. We’re not just talking about getting rid of loading screens, which is natural, but it enables us to do things at speeds that we’ve never, ever been able to do before.”

It's crazy to me that "smaller" title like Ratchet & Clank is having such an impact. It's like they're owning a huge chunk of the conversation without any effort, right? Game is stunning by the way. Definitely a day 1 purchase.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
there should only be 60fps option, lets put an end to the biggest crime in video games, Targeted 30fps

tenor.gif

Grinchy

Banned
I'm very curious how this dimension hooping will work throughout the game.
Me too. One way I might guess is that in previous Ratchet games, you might need a tool from a future level to do an objective in the current world.

So instead of going back to your ship, waiting for the loading screen and cutscene of flying out and landing, you literally just walk through a portal and are in that other world in second.

Maybe there will be parts of levels only accessible by entering rifts in specific places in other levels. Like you find a secret route behind a building, jump into a rift, and end up on a mountain from another level you couldn't have reached otherwise.

Rolla

Banned
Everyone is taking about R&C, praising it to the high heavens. Playstation has all the hype.

It's kind of amazing right? I mean, a few short months ago the PS community was worried about Sony being so silent. But behind the scenes they were putting themselves in a position to have 99.9% of all significant third party marketing. Making sure their own exclusives looked incredible. Today, they are dominating the conversation with so much ease it's almost surreal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Everyone is taking about R&C, praising it to the high heavens. Playstation has all the hype.
It's kind of amazing right? I mean, a few short months ago the PS community was worried about Sony being so silent. But behind the scenes they were putting themselves in a position to have 99.9% of all significant third party marketing. Making sure their own exclusives looked incredible. Today, they are dominating the conversation with so much ease it's almost surreal.

Gameindustry.biz and Forbes FUD/smear articles in 3... 2... 1...

Last edited:
“All those worlds that you’re traveling through during those sequences are real, fully fleshed out worlds that you could just, like, stop and play in under other circumstances.”

I don't get exactly what he is saying. Is he implying that each one of those portals that appear during those transitions contain a fully fleshed out world???

But those portals appear to be just an image representing those worlds.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“All those worlds that you’re traveling through during those sequences are real, fully fleshed out worlds that you could just, like, stop and play in under other circumstances.”

I don't get exactly what he is saying. Is he implying that each one of those portals that appear during those transitions contain a fully fleshed out world???

I believe he is saying they are not small snippets of gameplay, but actual full on worlds like in past games if you so choose to play in them.

Grinchy

Banned

It sounds like those small segments where you travel between worlds aren't a one-off. They are actual game levels you will end up playing through normally later in the game, but for the introduction to the game, it throws you around in them to introduce the rifts.

That's how I take it at least. It seems like a lot of wasted effort to flesh out those areas and not use them for levels.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Before read.

That should be fun... Washington Post is always a nice alternative reality read.

Edit - It was an actual interview... só not made up theories this time.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
It's crazy to me that "smaller" title like Ratchet & Clank is having such an impact. It's like they're owning a huge chunk of the conversation without any effort, right?

Combination impressive showing from Insomniac and a relative vacuum of any other next-gen gameplay to compare it against.

SilentUser

It is pretty cool to see this long time franchise getting some real exposure as a technological leap it represents, also nice to see one of my favorite studios (Insomniac) getting the attention they deserve. They have improved a lot recently.
Now, where is my new Resistance?

Vawn

Banned
targeting 4K 30fps....

Another gen with this shit

There never be a generation where you don't have to make choices between graphical fidelity, resolution, framerate, etc.

They could have made a PS4 game at 4K/60 easily. Instead, the pushed the industry forward while giving the player the choice between maxing out graphics vs framerate.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's crazy to me that "smaller" title like Ratchet & Clank is having such an impact.
6sdMeys_d.webp

I read the article and it doesn't say a lot of new information. Seems like a marketing piece for casual gamers. Basically just explains that they can load levels fast with the rift jump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom