• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post Suspends a Reporter After Her Tweets on Kobe Bryant

llien

Amid the flood of public tributes on Twitter to the retired Los Angeles Lakers star who died in a helicopter crash on Sunday at age 41, Ms. Sonmez posted a link to a 2016 Daily Beast article that detailed allegations made against him in 2003.

Mr. Bryant was arrested after a complaint by a hotel employee in Colorado. A charge of felony sexual assault was later dropped and Mr. Bryant settled with his accuser out of court, saying in an apology that he believed the encounter with the woman was “consensual.”

The terms of the settlement between the N.B.A. star and his accuser were undisclosed. “Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did,” Mr. Bryant said in a statement at the time. “After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.”

Ms. Sonmez’s tweet on Sunday, which stood out in the general outpouring of appreciation for Mr. Bryant that made him a trending topic on social media into the next day, drew a swift backlash. She followed up with a post about the negative responses she had received.

“Well, THAT was eye-opening,” she wrote. “To the 10,000 people (literally) who have commented and emailed me with abuse and death threats, please take a moment and read the story — which was written (more than three) years ago, and not by me.”

Her tweets on the matter have been deleted, but not before they were captured in screen shots by other journalists.

The Post confirmed the suspension on Monday, but didn’t say which of the tweets in particular had prompted it to take action.

“National political reporter Felicia Sonmez was placed on administrative leave while The Post reviews whether tweets about the death of Kobe Bryant violated The Post newsroom’s social media policy,” Tracy Grant, the managing editor of The Washington Post, said in a statement. “The tweets displayed poor judgment that undermined the work of her colleagues.”

NYT

Suspended isn't fired, of course, but the person in question tried to get Caitlin Flanagan fired from the Atlantic, for supporting Jonathan Kaiman, whom she #meetoo-ed earlier together with another woman.

TrainedRage

Banned
I'm not surprised Bryant's relationships were something of great attention but talking about it shouldn't get you suspended that's why we live in this country is because you don't have to dodge what you say.
Watch out for people flaming you for expressing an opinion. I got my asshole ripped open for bringing it up.

Honestly I don’t care. It’s an awful situation for his family but dude was not my hero. Why should I pretend to care? Faux emotion is in vogue I guess.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I don't like to see people lose their jobs over social media, but I hope this experience gives here some perspective into what other people whose lives she has helped ruin over social media have to go through.

Good! she has it coming. She's part of the cancel cutlure, who's adamant that someone has to be pure and sinless to be admired/celebrated

she could've posted that link anytime between 2016 to prior to his death, but no.........she chose to do it yesterday

Last edited:
I'm a survivor of sexual assault. My rapist almost certainly thinks what he did was okay. Kobe's accuser was harassed and got death threats from toxic fans despite a positive rape kit and trauma. Even after #metoo, there's still a cottage industry of lawyers and PR people whose whole job is to make these people disappear, settle, and never speak of these things.

While I pity his family, seeing a rapist celebrated and told that the opinions of survivors are inappropriate at this time is not something I'm comfortable with. Same goes with popular nonces like Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Mike Tyson, Prince Andrew, or Jimmy Saville. When someone dies, the crime they got away with and the damage it did doesn't disappear.

In short, fuck Kobe Bryant. When OJ dies, I don't want to hear about his sports record. His victims are still dead.

Last edited:
I'm a survivor of sexual assault. My rapist almost certainly thinks what he did was okay. Kobe's accuser was harassed and got death threats from toxic fans despite a positive rape kit and trauma. Even after #metoo, there's still a cottage industry of lawyers and PR people whose whole job is to make these people disappear, settle, and never speak of these things.

While I pity his family, seeing a rapist celebrated and told that the opinions of survivors are inappropriate at this time is not something I'm comfortable with. Same goes with popular nonces like Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Mike Tyson, Prince Andrew, or Jimmy Saville. When someone dies, the crime they got away with and the damage it did doesn't disappear.

In short, fuck Kobe Bryant. When OJ dies, I don't want to hear about his sports record. His victims are still dead.

too bad so sad.....

Kobe will be remembered as one the greatest sportsman, he's a hall of famer, 5 times champions, a father, a devoted family man, an inspiration, a community man. Statues will be built for him. Arena will be named after him...........He's not a saint, he's flawed, he got himself in that situation with that girl in Colorado. I don't know what happened in that room, no one (other than the two of them) knows........( yeah I don't buy that all women must be trusted bullshit, women are just as manipulative as men)......So they settled. She enjoys her large payment, more than anything most people could earn in their entire life.... victim?? ha!!!

Last edited:
Watch out for people flaming you for expressing an opinion. I got my asshole ripped open for bringing it up.

Honestly I don’t care. It’s an awful situation for his family but dude was not my hero. Why should I pretend to care? Faux emotion is in vogue I guess.

Because that was basically an RIP thread.

This is the perfect thread for you to signal your virtue.

too bad so sad.....

Kobe will be remembered as one the greatest sportsman, he's a hall of famer, 5 times champions, a father, a devoted family man, an inspiration, a community man. Statues will be built for him. Arena will be named after him...........He's not a saint, he's flawed, he got himself in that situation with that girl in Colorado. I don't know what happened in that room, no one (other than the two of them) knows........( yeah I don't buy that all women must be trusted bullshit, women are just as manipulative as men)......So they settled. She enjoys her large payment, more than anything most people could earn in their entire life.... victim?? ha!!!

Are you suggesting that because she was financially compensated she has now lost her victim status in that whole situation? So if she refused the out of court settlement she would still have the chance to be a "victim"? You realize how utterly stupid that sounds right?

TrainedRage

Banned

But she was 19 and it was consensual. He even said so!!!!! s/
I don't know for a FACT he raped her but honestly what he and his lawyers did to her was unforgivable and more scummy than me not saying, "OMG what a legend, so sad"! She was put through hell on national TV. When people are famous a lot can and will be overlooked. But I guess this isn't the time and place. We have to wait 3 months until people forget about his death to be our true scum baggy selves.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don’t think she should have been suspended and I thought what she did was callous, insensitive, dumb, and poorly timed. That said, I believe strongly in free speech and she should be able to tweet out whatever she wants as long as it doesn’t break any laws, and not face suspension or firing from her job. It’s a great system we have here. She can tweet whatever she wants, and people can rip her for it. No meddling from any establishments or corporations.

But she apparently got death threats and had to move out of her home and that’s wrong too. I’m against all outrage culture, just like I’m against all virtue signaling BS, and both happened in this case, and all parties are idiots for doing so, but she didn’t break the law and if reports are right, plenty of people did in threatening her and giving out her home address. I wish her the best,

Last edited:
Sammy Hagar once sang “theres a time and place for everything”

Bringing up a alleged rape case that was dropped by it’s alleged victim during a time a father lay dead still at the scene with his dead daughter is in extreme poor taste. Its incredibly low.

I definitely wouldn’t want to employ someone so hateful.

Unfortunately as atheism, Godlessness and the foundation of a strong ethical core erode away in Western society at large, you will see more examples of the dredges of society like this woman and her tweets, at the worst of times.

OJ Simpson is a great sportsman, and was great in the Naked Gun movies.

zeorhymer

It sucked that she got suspended. It was pretty tacky to tweet just after he died. Should have given more time than 5 minute.

Thaedolus

It's really mind-boggling to me how stupid people get when it comes to these things. To me, the following things are not mutually exclusive:

-Kobe did something to the victim that made her feel victimized
-He might not have meant to do anything of the sort
-She might've regretted things in hindsight and reworked it in her head
-He might've actually sexually assaulted her because he didn't respect her not actually consenting or withdrawing consent
-It could've been a misunderstanding among two young horn dogs
-How he sorts that out with his wife is nobody's business but theirs. Most pro athletes have a "I fuck who I want" clause in their relationships, though.
-Redemption is possible and people shouldn't be written off for life
-Kobe seemingly did a lot of positive things for women and inspired countless people of the subsequent years
-You can't undo rape or a victim's pain

My takeaway: life's complicated and I'm not going to fault anyone for looking up to the guy if they don't believe the allegations, or having an issue with someone who thinks he raped a teenager and calling BS on the adoration. Given he died with his 13 year old daughter and their body's weren't even cold yet, I don't see why people felt the need to get out on social media shit on him, but also I've never been victimized in such a way so how the hell would I know how to feel about it?

The "too bad so sad" response though? Get fucked.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Based.

TrainedRage

Banned
I wish when I got in "trouble" I could pay people 2.5 million dollars to make it all go away. I would be out there doin' what ever tha fuck I wanted. 2 million for you! 2 million for you!

then some dumb girls story like this (with credible evidence) would just go away!!!!!1!!

""According to court documents, the facts of the June 30, 2003, incident to which I refer are that Bryant showed up at the Cordillera Spa in Edwards, Colorado, ahead of a knee surgery. A 19-year-old female concierge brought Kobe to his room. He asked her to return later to give him a tour of the hotel. She did so. At the end of the tour, he asked her to enter his room. She did. She said there was flirtation and consensual kissing. When he began groping her, she said, she tried to get away. He grabbed her by the neck, and she feared for her life. He bent her over a chair and removed her panties. She said twice that she begged him to stop but he penetrated her anyway. She left about five minutes later. Her clothes were messed up. She was upset. There was blood on her panties and on his shirt. That blood matched her DNA.""

quickwhips

Im sorry that happened to you but i live in a country were you are innocent until proven guilty by law. Most of what you are saying is accusations.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I like Kobe, but he did allegedly rape someone. It’s obviously gross to bring it up now, but there is no need to censor the crazies.

Last edited:
read this

Did they have sex? yes
Kobe said it's consensual. He said she started kissing him, touching his dick, etc

She didn't say anything about consensual, it might've been during the sex act, Kobe got a little rough, and she asked him to stop, but he didn't (though Kobe said he did stop)

But read about character, she's a failed artist, she slept around too during the time of incident, she's on medication, some of her testimonies were inconsistent. And she refused to testify for criminal case. So the criminal case was dropped and a civil suit was brought against Kobe, which they finally settled

She's a young pretty girl, a failed artist, has multiple partners. He's a rich, famous athlete. This sounds more like an extortion case to me. Judging by character, I trust Kobe 100X over this girl

Sorry I'm not buying all this bullshit how women are innocent, they have to be put on pedestal, they have to trusted over men, when everything is in doubt, blame men. fuck that!!

One glance over instagram you can see how innocent these women are

The "too bad so sad" response though? Get fucked.

yeah and fuck you too

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
read this

Did they have sex? yes
Kobe said it's consensual. He said she started kissing him, touching his dick, etc

She didn't say anything about consensual, it might've been during the sex act, Kobe got a little rough, and she asked him to stop, but he didn't (though Kobe said he did stop)

But read about character, she's a failed artist, she slept around too during the time of incident, she's on medication, some of her testimonies were inconsistent. And she refused to testify for criminal case. So the criminal case was dropped and a civil suit was brought against Kobe, which they finally settled

She's a young pretty girl, a failed artist, has multiple partners. He's a rich, famous athlete. This sounds more like an extortion case to me. Judging by character, I trust Kobe 100X over this girl

Sorry I'm not buying all this bullshit how women are innocent, they have to be put on pedestal, they have to trusted over men, when everything is in doubt, blame men. fuck that!!

yeah and fuck you too

You sound like a real lady killer.

oagboghi2

people ripped on your ass because you acted like a troll in a RIP thread. Stop playing stupid you disingenuous pos

You sound like a real lady killer.

lame comeback

I'm just a realist, not some dumb kids who worship pretty girls and put them on pedestal

read that wiki, and ask yourself, in that situation of he said, she said, would you trust Kobe or would you trust the girl? don't give me that all girls must be trusted horseshit

TrainedRage

Banned
lame comeback

I'm just a realist, not some dumb kids who worship pretty girls and put them on pedestal

read that wiki, and ask yourself, in that situation of he said, she said, would you trust Kobe or would you trust the girl? don't give me that all girls must be trusted horseshit
Yeah usualy when I have sex I get her blood on my shirt.

Are you suggesting that because she was financially compensated she has now lost her victim status in that whole situation? So if she refused the out of court settlement she would still have the chance to be a "victim"? You realize how utterly stupid that sounds right?

no I question her victim status in this whole thing. this sounds more like an extortion case

TrainedRage

Banned
things might have gotten rough during the act, Kobe prolly has a huge dick, being a black dude AND a basketball player
Well now you are contradicting yourself. You were basicly calling her a super slut so she should be used to that. Right? remember she is just a failed artist on meds looking for that celeb dick money.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
read this

Did they have sex? yes

yeah and fuck you too
Wasn't he married here? Fucking based.

Yes. Going off the evidence. And even his own statements were suspect af. I don't even hate the guy. There is a lot to respect about him. Just not that one time he probably raped a girl.
I’m not sure what evidence you point to. However I’ve never heard of a rapist not caring about the lack of consent until seeking consent to finish in someone’s face.

Sammy Hagar once sang “theres a time and place for everything”

Bringing up a alleged rape case that was dropped by it’s alleged victim during a time a father lay dead still at the scene with his dead daughter is in extreme poor taste. Its incredibly low.

I definitely wouldn’t want to employ someone so hateful.
Exactly his.

Top Bottom