• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Redskins to Retire Name Tomorrow

ManaByte

Gold Member

The Redskins intend to announce on Monday that the team will retire its nickname, two sources said, 11 days after naming-rights sponsor FedEx’s public statement asking for a change to the controversial moniker. The new nickname will not be announced immediately because trademark issues are pending, the sources said, but insiders were told today that the “thorough review” announced July 3 has concluded. The team felt it was important to remove any doubts as to the future of the name, one source said.

The timeline for announcing a new name was unclear, but the sense of urgency inside the organization is clear. In a private letter on the same day as its public statement, FedEx threatened to take its name off the team’s Landover, Md., stadium after the end of the season if the name was not changed. Pepsi, Bank of America and Nike later joined with their own public statements, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell also said he was supportive of the review. A Redskins spokesperson did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Dural

Total horseshit. Honestly I don't even feel like watching the NFL when it comes back.

Same here. I’m one of the biggest nfl fans you’ll meet but all this bullshit and the inevitability of kneeling during the anthem makes me not want to watch.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bring back the Washington Bullets.

I think it's fitting in these times.

Remember when two players on the Wizards pulled guns on each other in the locker room?

You can take the Bullets off the jerseys but not out of the locker room.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
You can take the Bullets off the jerseys but not out of the locker room.

Oh shit, lol

200.gif

They should change it to The Washington AllLivesMatter
It fits the bill of 1. removing a previously racist name 2. promoting an all-ecompassing positive message to level-headed people and 3. trolling race-obsessed idiots

Last edited:

Quasicat

Wasn’t their polling that showed most Native Americans liked the name ?
I don’t remember where I saw it, but I saw this as well. The only reason why I even noticed the polling was because my high school Alma Mater is the Redskins and several neighboring schools are the Indians.

On a side note, our rival school was the Rough Riders and I always loved how our homecoming games were the Redskins vs. the Rough Riders.

Top Bottom