• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 Review Thread

Karak

We don't have a review thread and its a damned crime I tell ya. Not going to post my own someone else can.

upload image free

Opencritic https://opencritic.com/game/9140/wasteland-3 (Currently 84% and 97% Critics Recommend)

Fextralife - 8.3
Wasteland 3 Review: Baldur’s Gate Meets X-Com

Eurogamer
"Wasteland 3 review: a devilish satire of post-apocalyptic America"

Duelshockers - 9
Improving on its predecessor in almost every way, Wasteland 3 is one of the best and most reactive RPGs I've played in a long time.

PCGamesn - 9
https://www.pcgamesn.com/wasteland-3/review

I probably won't be around to post more reviews. Feel free to take over and have a Main person on the thread.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Gonna give this one a shot; I always get a bit overwhelmed with party based RPGs so we'll see how this goes.

Have high expectations.

They said after MS acquisition they could invest and improve a lot. Hopefully it's better made than a lot of hyped but average Kickstarter stuff.

You mentioned performance issues when opening text but every time theres combat, all I'm seeing is stutters non stop and not just in your video. And inXile have always had issues with performance on all their games. I can't accept that shit because they never fix them(look at bards tale 4, wasteland 2, etc.), no matter how good the story might be. Shame all reviewers seem to just glance easily over these issues but at least Steam reviews will call them out.

Last edited:

Karak

You mentioned performance issues when opening text but every time theres combat, all I'm seeing is stutters non stop and not just in your video. And inXile have always had issues with performance on all their games. I can't accept that shit because they never fix them(look at bards tale 4, wasteland 2, etc.), no matter how good the story might be. Shame all reviewers seem to just glance easily over these issues but at least Steam reviews will call them out.
Actually that would depend on what settings they played at. I have now seen many with frametime and fps settings where its fine. So not sure if you are seeing the known issue with youtubes 4k encoding bug or not. But there is some low fps for sure on higher settings.
And thinking anything on steam reviewing is anything other than utter trash is kissing the frog.
Also as I made clear in the video the issues I personally dealt with were actually directly stated in the embargo notes as issues to be fixed prior to release date. Which, with their prior releases, has been true of their prerelease patch notes. But always be wary of course.

Last edited:
Actually that would depend on what settings they played at. I have now seen many with frametime and fps settings where its fine. So not sure if you are seeing the known issue with youtubes 4k encoding bug or not. But there is some low fps for sure on higher settings.
And thinking anything on steam reviewing is anything other than utter trash is kissing the frog.
Also as I made clear in the video the issues I personally dealt with were actually directly stated in the embargo notes as issues to be fixed prior to release date. Which, with their prior releases, has been true of their prerelease patch notes. But always be wary of course.

Ofc I'm not saying steam reviews are the holy grail but they can be quite harsh whenever theres performance issues. I am in dire need of a crpg but inXile has always let me down. I'll wait for postpatch benchmark vids and whatnot before I decide because I want to get it on steam.

GHG

Gold Member
why? you re giving money to ms one way or the other. And the game will be there permanentely.

It always fascinates me when I see people asking why people decide to buy games. Is it suddenly some alien concept?

With subscriptions nothing is forever. It's only forever as long as you keep your sub going and provided the game doesn't get removed for whatever reason (which games can, we have seen plenty of instances of digital games being delisted over the years for a whole host of reasons).

For games that I like I prefer permanence in my library. That way I can dip in and out of them as I please, even if that's many years in the future.

jaysius

Banned
I loved Fextralife, said

...the combat is rather dull and predictable. You’ll find yourself trying to take cover at the beginning of each fight and then moving forward as you defeat your enemies. Turns are quiet long as you have to manage each Ranger and then wait for all the enemies to take their individual actions. After a couple of combats, and especially in fights against multiple enemies, this can become a little tedious and repetitive.

Still gave the gameplay section an 8.5 when the core of the game IS COMBAT, but from this quote it really sounds like they hated the combat.

It always fascinates me when I see people asking why people decide to buy games. Is it suddenly some alien concept?

With subscriptions nothing is forever. It's only forever as long as you keep your sub going and provided the game doesn't get removed for whatever reason (which games can, we have seen plenty of instances of digital games being delisted over the years for a whole host of reasons).

For games that I like I prefer permanence in my library. That way I can dip in and out of them as I please, even if that's many years in the future.
there is absolutely no reason to buy wasteland 3 when you have a game pass subscription. its going to always be there. save your money for dlc if you want

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I hope this change the narrative MS didn't do anything on the first party front this year : Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator and now Wasteland 3, that's great stuff there.

Bkdk

Really pleased to hear the reviews saying how reactive this game can be, that’s one element that I really want in games and One of the primary reason of why I love gaming. These are the story campaigns that is worth playing and not just watching on YouTube.

No, I'm sure he's thanking you for going around forums telling people to not buy games that come from studios they own.

Your service is appreciated.
thats where the great value for money is for game pass though. not having to pay for their exclusives/first party. I'm pretty sure they have it figured out

Last edited:
Will it be available for PC gamepass? or just xbox?

XGP_81820_HERO.jpg

Karak

I loved Fextralife, said

Still gave the gameplay section an 8.5 when the core of the game IS COMBAT, but from this quote it really sounds like they hated the combat.
That might have been the characters they played as well. Since there is actual skills based around not taking cover and they may have been playing on easy as the enemies throw less items that would stop you from using cover. We got flanked and attacked from all sides constantlty

Wait...but I thought in all the other threads that Microsoft's studios don't have any great titles coming out and the XBox One/Series X is a barren traverse devoid of anything worth playing. And that all games that show up on Gamepass day and date are garbage.

I'm so confused--I thought the Sony apologists knew everything.

splattered

ok, its your prerogative, just remember that microsoft supports these developers now, so they are well-supported

Definitely! I do understand not everyone has enough money to buy all the games they want and that devs ARE well supported by MS on Gamepass.

For me same goes with Yakuza series and probably many others if i go back and look at my collections... i already bought Yakuza series on PS3/PS4 and still buy them on Xbox even though i have Gamepass.

Top Bottom