• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 Review Thread

GhostOfTsu

Banned
This game was not on my radar at all but since I have gamepass and the reviews are great I'll try it this weekend. I actually own Wasteland 2 on Steam (I might have bought it on Kickstarter along with Pillars of Eternity but never played any of them).

I finished all the old Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum and Planescape but then I stopped playing that genre.

Siri

Banned
That Eurogamer review was just 2000 words of the writer smelling his own farts. I've read more meaningful drivel in teenage poetry.

I thought the same.

Back when Eurogamer originally launched it was my go-to website for reviews. Times change, I guess, because (am I seeing this clearly) the site seems to have gone full-blown woke.

Burger

Man the graphics in this game, did I step back in time 10 years? Why does everything look bad? This could have been styled out with less textures and more creativity but it looks like everything is made from about 60 polygons with extreme PBR textures. It's horrible.

It's like playing a switch game on my PC. Even the user interface is weirdly big. Big buttons, big fonts. Lots of scrolling in the skill window because everything is BIG.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It always fascinates me when I see people asking why people decide to buy games. Is it suddenly some alien concept?

With subscriptions nothing is forever. It's only forever as long as you keep your sub going and provided the game doesn't get removed for whatever reason (which games can, we have seen plenty of instances of digital games being delisted over the years for a whole host of reasons).

For games that I like I prefer permanence in my library. That way I can dip in and out of them as I please, even if that's many years in the future.

Do you really see yourself having enough time in the future to dig up an old game, dip in, relearn how to play it, dip out and forget again or fully replaying it instead of playing a new one? Granted some games are good to play ages later, but the older one gets, the harder it tends to be to find a workweek's worth of time to play any game, let alone one you already played through years ago.

I don't see how you would think that your behavior is so normal that people would not question it. If you do this for a lot of games for a long time all you end up with is some ridiculous amount of content in a replay backlog that will sit untouched forever. Do you keep physical versions of everything with a few unopened consoles to ensure that you will always have working units? If so how much square footage of your home is devoted to this and what is the cost? What do you do about games with patches, especially the critical day one versions? If you are strictly digital, do you maintain multiple hard drives to ensure that you have an accessible working copy of all these games? If you want forever, as in you want these games playable should the apocalypse hit, then you need to really make sure you can play them if there is no more internet.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

Mondai

Do you really see yourself having enough time in the future to dig up an old game, dip in, relearn how to play it, dip out and forget again or fully replaying it instead of playing a new one? Granted some games are good to play ages later, but the older one gets, the harder it tends to be to find a workweek's worth of time to play any game, let alone one you already played through years ago.

I don't see how you would think that your behavior is so normal that people would not question it. If you do this for a lot of games for a long time all you end up with is some ridiculous amount of content in a replay backlog that will sit untouched forever. Do you keep physical versions of everything with a few unopened consoles to ensure that you will always have working units? If so how much square footage of your home is devoted to this and what is the cost? What do you do about games with patches, especially the critical day one versions? If you are strictly digital, do you maintain multiple hard drives to ensure that you have an accessible working copy of all these games? If you want forever, as in you want these games playable should the apocalypse hit, then you need to really make sure you can play them if there is no more internet.
Yes but I have a lot of free time.

Bubba77

played about 2 hours last night and really like it. Not as polished as say divinity OS 2, but great fallout(old school) type feel.

denisonja

Neo Member
Man the graphics in this game, did I step back in time 10 years? Why does everything look bad? This could have been styled out with less textures and more creativity but it looks like everything is made from about 60 polygons with extreme PBR textures. It's horrible.

It's like playing a switch game on my PC. Even the user interface is weirdly big. Big buttons, big fonts. Lots of scrolling in the skill window because everything is BIG.
This....
Although i love the game, the graphics is horrible.... Only maybe snow looks decent, everything else is piss poor.....

JoduanER2

Couldnt play it anymore, i uninstalled it. The art style and graphics are horrible. I mean graphics arent everything but man its soo ugly, everything about it is ugly.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Banned
Enjoyed the first few hours quite a lot, the only major complaint so far is I cannot create a sexy and attractive female character, also the face customization options are very limited, other than that, will definitely sink probably 50 hours into this. With AOE2 definitive edition, flight and wasteland 3, I'm hype for MS offerings for the PC once again. Their console side production side has been dead for me since 2010.

GHG

Gold Member
Couldnt play it anymore, i uninstalled it. The art style and graphics are horrible. I mean graphics arent everything but man its soo ugly, everything about it is ugly.

That's a shame. The game is great.

I don't think it looks "bad" either. Runs at 4k 60fps on my system and it's clean.

Got about an hour and a half in. Gonna go buy and restart on Steam.

Tip for everyone: Get the first aid skill as early as you can.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I don't think it looks "bad" either. Runs at 4k 60fps on my system and it's clean.

First Aid first - ALWAYS

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

JoduanER2

Probably but is sooooo ugly. From the UI, HUD, font, graphics, art design, horrible in my opinion.

GHG

Gold Member
Probably but is sooooo ugly. From the UI, HUD, font, graphics, art design, horrible in my opinion.

It's not the best looking game out there but it's not "ugly" by any means.

It's a step below the likes of D:OS but it's absolutely fine for a cRPG.

The draw of these types of games is not the graphics. If you're playing this game for the graphics you're missing the point entirely.

Siri

Banned
You guys above complaining about the graphics... be honest, did you play for more than an hour? I’d wager you didn’t.

The graphics are a huge improvement over the first game. But, honestly, if this is what’s preventing you from playing then I doubt you were really into Wasteland to begin with. No Wasteland enthusiast is going to stop playing this game because of the graphics. LOL.

Graphically, and this is just based on 'max settings' videos I've watched, it seems like the biggest issue is the lack of environmental lighting and shadows making it all look very flat and cheap. It DOES look better than the 2nd game, but it's still pretty fugly, imo.

The draw of these types of games is not the graphics. If you're playing this game for the graphics you're missing the point entirely.

I don't play any game just for its graphics, but it's still a factor in my enjoyment when it's a new $60 game. Granted, art can trump technical, but this game is also artistically not a looker.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Soo you are saying it doesnt matter how ugly it is?? Of course artstyle matters and its horrible in my opinion.

GHG

Gold Member
Soo you are saying it doesnt matter how ugly it is?? Of course artstyle matters and its horrible in my opinion.

For this game? No.

The writing is far more important along with how deep the RPG elements are.

Most post apocalyptic rpg games of this ilk have drab art styles. What do you want, a "post apocalypse" looking like the one in Far Cry New Dawn with nonsensical colours popping up all over the shop?

dok1or

When you put Ultra settings, many manual settings below are still turned off!
So you must manualy change many of them...
there are still animations like in that trailer few post before. You can see them when you meet first time with patriarch...

3840x1620, works great...

MacReady13

there is absolutely no reason to buy wasteland 3 when you have a game pass subscription. its going to always be there. save your money for dlc if you want

So spend the money on the subscription each month, but never buy this game cause you don't need to spend money on it??? My greatest concern for subscription services all explained with this quote. I'm not having a go at you either, I'm just pointing out why I loathe subscription services.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

MacReady13

I thought the same.

Back when Eurogamer originally launched it was my go-to website for reviews. Times change, I guess, because (am I seeing this clearly) the site seems to have gone full-blown woke.

Same. It was my fav gaming website. Somewhere along the lines in the past 2-3 years they went ultra woke and starting spewing shit. I stopped giving them clicks. Feel so much better for it. Far better sites out there than those morons.

So spend the money on the subscription each month, but never buy this game cause you don't need to spend money on it??? My greatest concern for subscription services all explained with this quote. I'm not having a go at you either, I'm just pointing out why I loathe subscription services.
what is so hard to understand though? gamepass gives you access to ~200 games.
microsoft owned games launch day 1 there and stay on the service for ever.
for what reason exactly you should buy it at full day 1 price if you are a subscriber?
microsoft owned companies are very well supported, you should have no worries about that...

MacReady13

what is so hard to understand though? gamepass gives you access to ~200 games.
microsoft owned games launch day 1 there and stay on the service for ever.
for what reason exactly you should buy it at full day 1 price if you are a subscriber?
microsoft owned companies are very well supported, you should have no worries about that...

I'm not worried about the 200 games (most are just filler and crap). What I am saying is, after a while you end up paying far more than what those games are worth by continuously paying for a subscription. Instead, you could buy the games you REALLY want and actually save money instead of wasting it on a service. My opinion of course and each to their own. I'd just rather save the money and buy games I want instead of spending good money for a service that, once you decide it's not worth having, you lose access to all those games.
It basically boils down to the fact you never truly own these games, you are just lending them month by month. And I hate that. You don't so good for you.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There is literally no one forcing any company to put their games on sub services.. they are doing it because they see it as a way to profit.

This isn't like Netflix / video streaming where consumers were pirating in massive amounts, canceling cable, spending less money.. and companies begrudgingly sold their content to Netflix while complaining about it.

It's simply a business model that is working for people; same reason companies give their games away free on EGS, or PSN+/XBL Gold.. where were all these "concerned" people when Sony/MS started giving away games included in their online fees?

MacReady13

There is literally no one forcing any company to put their games on sub services.. they are doing it because they see it as a way to profit.

This isn't like Netflix / video streaming where consumers were pirating in massive amounts, canceling cable, spending less money.. and companies begrudgingly sold their content to Netflix while complaining about it.

It's simply a business model that is working for people; same reason companies give their games away free on EGS, or PSN+/XBL Gold.. where were all these "concerned" people when Sony/MS started giving away games included in their online fees?

Firstly, I hate the free games model on PSN and Xbox live. We never truly own them even though you now finally have the option to purchase free games from PS plus. Either way, I like owning my stuff so that, in 10 years time when I decide to play my old consoles, those games are mine forever.

You will never sell me on a subscription based service, especially for consoles. Free games on EGS is completely different to game pass though. Those EGS games are yours to own for as long as the EGS store is up and running. No concerns about paying a fee to play them. It's a completely different scenario to game pass. I just cannot justify spending money each month to borrow games and then, if a month comes by when I can't afford to have game pass, I lose all access to those game. Good times!

IntentionalPun

Firstly, I hate the free games model on PSN and Xbox live. We never truly own them even though you now finally have the option to purchase free games from PS plus. Either way, I like owning my stuff so that, in 10 years time when I decide to play my old consoles, those games are mine forever.

You will never sell me on a subscription based service, especially for consoles. Free games on EGS is completely different to game pass though. Those EGS games are yours to own for as long as the EGS store is up and running. No concerns about paying a fee to play them. It's a completely different scenario to game pass. I just cannot justify spending money each month to borrow games and then, if a month comes by when I can't afford to have game pass, I lose all access to those game. Good times!
So buy your games then lol

GHG

Gold Member
So buy your games then lol

He literally said he does, as do I.

You guys are the ones in here shilling for gamepass, criticising people for buying games and worrying about what others do with their money.

Never seen so many people get so triggered about people buying games before in my life.

Some people will play it via the subscription, others will buy it, everybody wins and nobody loses.

IntentionalPun

Most of them I do. Especially if they are on special. I am buying Tony Hawks in a couple of weeks for $44 from Amazon Australia. A bargain and worthy of a purchase. I don't need game pass to give me the option to play it for "free".
GamePass is $120 a year...

Varteras

Gold Member
I think the problem with this thread and others like it isn't just the people shitting on Game Pass. It's also the people who insist on telling everyone that they'll play it on Game Pass as if they're getting paid to market the service. Neither group is really talking about the game itself. Over 40 posts so far have been either shitting on Game Pass, promoting Game Pass, or responding to someone because of it. That's near 30% of what this thread is right now. Come on now.

IntentionalPun

He literally said he does, as do I.

You guys are the ones in here shilling for gamepass, criticising people for buying games and worrying about what others do with their money.

Never seen so many people get so triggered about people buying games before in my life.

Some people will play it via the subscription, others will buy it, everybody wins and nobody loses.
WTF are you talking about?

I have no concern for how anyone spends their money, nor did I shill for anything.

The poster I replied to is the one concerned how people are spending their money.. literally guilt tripping people for playing games on Gamepass and not buying them... All I did was explain that his concern was actually completely invalid, makes zero sense.. these companies are voluntarily adding games to sub services, you aren't being some shady consumer by buying into them.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I think the problem with this thread and others like it isn't just the people shitting on Game Pass. It's also the people who insist on telling everyone that they'll play it on Game Pass as if they're getting paid to market the service. Neither group is really talking about the game itself. Over 40 posts so far have been either shitting on Game Pass, promoting Game Pass, or responding to someone because of it. That's near 30% of what this thread is right now. Come on now.
Why in the world is it a problem or "shilling" to mention you'll be playing a game on Gamepass?

Is it "shilling" to point out if you are gonna play the game on PS4?

This forum is so far up Sony's ass it's insane.. you can't even handle someone being happy that a game is included in a service they sub to without calling it a "problem." Of all the things to get upset about on this forum and act like people are being "paid to shill" it's Gamepass? Good fucking grief what forum are you reading?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Why in the world is it a problem or "shilling" to mention you'll be playing a game on Gamepass?

Is it "shilling" to point out if you are gonna play the game on PS4?

This forum is so far up Sony's ass it's insane.. you can't even handle someone being happy that a game is included in a service they sub to without calling it a "problem."

You need to take your pills. I'm pointing out that threads like this frequently devolve into arguments about services instead of just talking about the game. There are frequent offenders on this forum who do nothing more than drive-by post about something being on Game Pass, good or bad, because they know it gets reactions. Then people, like yourself, turn the thread into an argument about services instead of just talking about the damn game itself. I personally don't care who plays on what and if I was going to play this game it'd be on PC anyways. The only reason I have any interest at all is because a friend of mine made some assets for the game. I just came in here to get a consensus on the game and what people are seeing and I see the same old thing. Post after post of Game Pass bullshit.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

You need to take your pills. I'm pointing out that threads like this frequently devolve into arguments about services instead of just talking about the game. There are frequent offenders on this forum who do nothing more than drive-by post about something being on Game Pass, good or bad, because they know it gets reactions. Then people, like yourself, turn the thread into an argument about services instead of just talking about the damn game itself. I personally don't care who plays on what and if I was going to play this game it'd be on PC anyways. The only reason I have any interest at all is because a friend of mine made some assets for the game. I just came in here to get a consensus on the game and what people are seeing and I see the same old thing. Post after post of Game Pass bullshit.

lol, people like myself? I didn't turn anything into an argument... why are you jumping on me and not the person who actually started the argument who you just defended 1 post ago?

People are quite literally happy they are getting another game for their cheap subscription service... commenting on that is not the problem, it's the people who get butthurt about it like you are.

"Take your pills", shove it up your ass.

Varteras

Gold Member
lol, people like myself? I didn't turn anything into an argument... why are you jumping on me and not the person who actually started the argument who you just defended 1 post ago?

People are quite literally happy they are getting another game for their cheap subscription service... commenting on that is not the problem, it's the people who get butthurt about it like you are.

"Take your pills", shove it up your ass.

This conversation is proving my point. Thank you.

GHG

Gold Member
WTF are you talking about?

I have no concern for how anyone spends their money, nor did I shill for anything.

The poster I replied to is the one concerned how people are spending their money.. literally guilt tripping people for playing games on Gamepass and not buying them... All I did was explain that his concern was actually completely invalid, makes zero sense.. these companies are voluntarily adding games to sub services, you aren't being some shady consumer by buying into them.

Here's the bottom line:

If somebody wants to buy a game that also happens to be on gamepass then let them. Not everybody wants to rely on subscription services for access to games.

Nobody is guilt tripping anybody into anything. You might have your reasons for relying on gamepass to access games and I have my reasons for preferring to buy games even if they are also on gamepass. People who still insist on buying games don't necessarily need or want the PR associated with whatever subscription service the game is also on. We already know.

Top Bottom