• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 Review Thread

Sigh, I hate the windows store so much, on my OG PC it runs fine but for whatever reason my laptop the Windows store is such a POS, I get 2Mb/s download, which means it will take ~ 1 week to finish.
I wanted to play the game away from my Couch but seems like a 38gb download is too much for the store. I still can't believe that Microsoft believes that this sort of wacky performance is 'fine'.
There is a windows store tab under troubleshooting in Win 10. Run it and see if it solves your problem.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Made a few choices that I am really curious how things will turn out. I am really enjoying this game so far.

Still haven't found all the staff for the base yet.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I just couldn't get into the 2nd, maybe it was the initiative combat rules or the random events when traveling but the game just felt off.
Thus far W3 has kept me interested and my toons and skillsets have gel'd so I'm having a lot of fun.
So far there hasn't been any SJWisms on the contrary the humour, sex, drugs, booze has been really good, been a while since I laughed when playing an RPG so W3 and it's writing has been great.
My complaint thus far is load times, they are abysmal.
I expected it to be bad on Xbox, even with SSD it takes a while, switched over to pc and still it's very long even on a nvme drive.
Not game breaking but if you want to save scum you might change your mind after seeing load times 😂

I'm loving it so far too but I totally agree with load times. It's on Unity and it always seems to me Unity based games have shitty load times. WL2 had the same engine and same issues with loading.

One of the funniest things I saw in WL2 was there were signs you read and one of them said "We should have used Unreal"

Really enjoying this so far. The controls on xsx are a bit clunky.

LT/RT to move along the top bar in the inventory and LB/RB to swap characters... Bit of a switcheroo IMO.

Moving along the tiles is has a magnetic force which is a bit frustrating and there are juddering on the X and very long loading times, which I'm surprised at.

Other than those little niggles the game is actually really fun. You can see that the devs have had a bit of freedom to play around and put their own humour in it without being stifled.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Is there a Skilltree in Wasteland 3? Like in Xcom2?

It's a skill point allocation and attribute point allocation based system. You get points to allocate at each level up and when you reach certain milestones on certain skills you get bonus abilities.

JLB

Banned
Hows the One X version?

its good, only issue i found was -so far- on Little Vegas (talking to cashier to buy some stuff, couldnt close the buy/sell window).
I still think this is more a pc game due to higher fps and mkb, but so far enjoyable on the x.

Raphael

Hey guys. Is wasteland 2 as good as this? Are those very similar in the npc/story/side quest departament? I never played w2 but im super enjoying my time with w3 so i think i Will have to come back to w2 after this, if they are very much alike.

Also is there any way to pull out installed mods?

Last edited:

Raphael

Been playing it on Supreme jerk, i'm so addicted to it, 10/10 if it wasn't for the horrible fps, bugs and overall lack of polish.

Excellent world, quests, and combat.
How hard is it. Im paying on hard and find it quite easy. Only reloads i do if i rush it like a fool without realizing this is a flight and fuck up my positioning.

ZZZZ

How hard is it. Im paying on hard and find it quite easy. Only reloads i do if i rush it like a fool without realizing this is a flight and fuck up my positioning.
The enemies have insane amount of HP, my characters die a lot during fights but i rarely lose them unless i get ambushed.

Big props to the sound track as well. I love the "washed in the blood of the lamb" song while fighting the first 'boss'. It adds an eerie calmness to it all

Reactions: GHG

Drewpee

Banned
We don't have a review thread and its a damned crime I tell ya. Not going to post my own someone else can.

upload image free

Opencritic https://opencritic.com/game/9140/wasteland-3 (Currently 84% and 97% Critics Recommend)

Fextralife - 8.3
Wasteland 3 Review: Baldur’s Gate Meets X-Com

Eurogamer
"Wasteland 3 review: a devilish satire of post-apocalyptic America"

Duelshockers - 9
Improving on its predecessor in almost every way, Wasteland 3 is one of the best and most reactive RPGs I've played in a long time.

PCGamesn - 9
https://www.pcgamesn.com/wasteland-3/review

I probably won't be around to post more reviews. Feel free to take over and have a Main person on the thread.

Excited to play. This stretch of time for Xbox first party is highly underappreciated with titles like Grounded, flight simulator, Battlegrounds and now Wasteland, all within the last couple of months. I have been pleasantly surprised by Grounded and Battletoads and I already have high expectations for Wasteland 3.

Bkdk

So apparently I beat the encounter before reaching Denver and that's it? What? The game really feel a bit rushed there, thankfully I got trainer and I tweaked a bit for some reward I feel like I deserved and just load the save file and continue playing the game, that's why I'll always play games on PC because there are always some tweaks that I would like and I can do that with the PC version of a game. However this really should be patched and let the game go on with some really nice reward.

JLB

Banned
What difficulty are you playing on? On supreme Jerk, usually i found myself having to buy ammo almost all the time.

normal, i had a complete painful experiences on wasteland 2 on higher difficulties so I played safe lol.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't get it, now they have infinite money from M, why is the game still bugged as hell like when they were an indie team?

Complete edition in a year for me.

pr0cs

fair point.
I'm only about 12 hours in but considering how complex the RPG system is I'm impressed that I haven't found more serious bugs thus far.
I'm sure by typing that I'll find a game breaking bug that will fuck up my save file or something that will force me to start over :messenger_confounded:

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm only about 12 hours in but considering how complex the RPG system is I'm impressed that I haven't found more serious bugs thus far.
I'm sure by typing that I'll find a game breaking bug that will fuck up my save file or something that will force me to start over :messenger_confounded:

Save scum.

I don't know why more people don't in these types of games to be honest.

I get wanting to live with your decisions but sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Stutters frequently for me. Seems more like a loading/streaming issue than a frame rate issue.

That's a bummer. Still haven't gotten around to Xbox version. I'll have to throw it on my external SSD and see if it helps at all.

pr0cs

Save scum
Sure, though a lot choices presumably have impacts much later in the game, plus as mentioned the load process is PAINFUL even on nvme it can take upwards of 25 sec to reload.
YA ya, first world problems, just that I'm so used to not hating to reload because it's so sluggish

Last edited:

CatLady

You ever just run up to a place and mid battle realize all your sniper ammo is gone and you can't reload?

That happened to me really early in the game. I was like why doesn't this idiot shot. Thankfully it was really early in the game before I could buy ammo but the early enemies were super easy so I just beat them to death with my bare fists.

Is anyone on the 1X and encountering freezes that crash to dash occasionally or more frequent crashes to dash on loading?

That happened to me really early in the game. I was like why doesn't this idiot shot. Thankfully it was really early in the game before I could buy ammo but the early enemies were super easy so I just beat them to death with my bare fists.

Is anyone on the 1X and encountering freezes that crash to dash occasionally or more frequent crashes to dash on loading?

Yes, I've learned to save more frequently.

CatLady

Yes, I've learned to save more frequently.
Yeah, saving a lot more than even my usual scum saving in this game. Had the same thing to a lesser extent on WL2.
Oh well the game is really excellent otherwise, but damn I think I spend more time looking at loading screens to see what happens with different responses or actions and from crashes than I do playing with the damn load times.

JLB

Banned
That's a bummer. Still haven't gotten around to Xbox version. I'll have to throw it on my external SSD and see if it helps at all.

Definitely this is a game that will be awesome on PS5/Xbox Series X. Main issue I find with it are the loading times. Not a big big issue, but noticeable.
Apart from that, this is seriously GOTY contender. The story, the characters, the battles, the fucking consequential decisions. This is really good.

Roberts

Crashed only once so far at Ranger HQ after the base was established.

But for those of you who want to play but are afraid of bugs: I am playing on XOX. Save for terribly long loading times, rare framerate inconsistencies and occasional non-essential graphics glitch, It's perfectly playable. Haven't seen a single gameplay related bug or a glitch.

Top Bottom