• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 Review Thread

pr0cs

Sigh, I hate the windows store so much, on my OG PC it runs fine but for whatever reason my laptop the Windows store is such a POS, I get 2Mb/s download, which means it will take ~ 1 week to finish.
I wanted to play the game away from my Couch but seems like a 38gb download is too much for the store. I still can't believe that Microsoft believes that this sort of wacky performance is 'fine'.

JLB

Banned
Took the hard route and created an sniper and a catch-all character. Lets see if its a good decision.

GHG

Gold Member
Sigh, I hate the windows store so much, on my OG PC it runs fine but for whatever reason my laptop the Windows store is such a POS, I get 2Mb/s download, which means it will take ~ 1 week to finish.
I wanted to play the game away from my Couch but seems like a 38gb download is too much for the store. I still can't believe that Microsoft believes that this sort of wacky performance is 'fine'.

Xbox Beta app:

Do everything through that, don't touch the Windows store.

GHG

Gold Member
Same thing, the Xbox app uses the Windows store as it's back-end. Which is very disappointing.

Oh I know but it's just minus the jankyness you get associated with downloads directly from the Windows store.

From experience it works a lot better than the Windows store downloads.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Here's the bottom line:

If somebody wants to buy a game that also happens to be on gamepass then let them. Not everybody wants to rely on subscription services for access to games.

Sure, OK? People just think it's odd dude.. because it kind of is.. and your posts about it come across really smarmy. "It always fascinates me when I see people asking why people decide to buy games. Is it suddenly some alien concept?" No, people just literally thought you didn't know it was permanent at first lol

Nobody is guilt tripping anybody into anything. You might have your reasons for relying on gamepass to access games and I have my reasons for preferring to buy games even if they are also on gamepass. People who still insist on buying games don't necessarily need or want the PR associated with whatever subscription service the game is also on. We already know.

You absolutely come across as trying to guilt trip people with your post about "concern" that sub services aren't making devs enough money, and you questioning people who don't buy games (with the triple question mark to boot.. OMG YOU DONT BUY GAMES???)

And if you don't want to mention Gamepass, don't mention Gamepass.. how far up your own ass do you have to be to get annoyed at people expressing happiness on getting what they perceive as a good deal?

pr0cs

Oh I know but it's just minus the jankyness you get associated with downloads directly from the Windows store.

From experience it works a lot better than the Windows store downloads.
I wish it was the case for me, or if you could use another PC then "restore" the files similar to how Steam worked for game backups.

95QylqW.png

MacReady13

Firstly, i'm not telling anyone how to spend there money. I don't really care. If you read my posts, I clearly state that IN MY OPINION I don't like the idea of a subscription service. That is only my opinion. And I don't want gaming to head down that path. I personally don't need to play all these fucking games the day they are released. I'm happy to wait for a sale to purchase them. I was content in the "old" days to have demos for games, not having to buy a subscription to play games.
But again, each to there own. If it works for you then that is fine. I would rather save my money and spend it on games I want to own instead of a service that gives me games I don't really want to play.
I've said what I need to say. Sorry for coming in with an opinion contrary to others. Please continue talking about Wasteland 3...!

GHG

Gold Member
Sure, OK? People just think it's odd dude.. because it kind of is.. and your posts about it come across really smarmy. "It always fascinates me when I see people asking why people decide to buy games. Is it suddenly some alien concept?" No, people just literally thought you didn't know it was permanent at first lol

It's only "permanent" as long as you keep your sub going. As as I stated earlier in the thread, when you purchase a game it's yours to keep and download forever, and you will still have access to it even if it ends up getting delisted.

I have a whole host of reasons I subscribe to services like gamepass and origin access even while still picking out and buying the games I want from those services.

You absolutely come across as trying to guilt trip people with your post about "concern" that sub services aren't making devs enough money, and you questioning people who don't buy games (with the triple question mark to boot.. OMG YOU DONT BUY GAMES???)

And if you don't want to mention Gamepass, don't mention Gamepass.. how far up your own ass do you have to be to get annoyed at people expressing happiness on getting what they perceive as a good deal?

As for the above... you might want to check yourself, I've not said any of that.

Now if you'll excuse me, my purchased version of Wasteland 3 has finished downloading and is waiting for me on Steam™.

Good luck ranger.

Last edited:

MacReady13

It's only "permanent" as long as you keep your sub going. As as I stated earlier in the thread, when you purchase a game it's yours to keep and download forever, and you will still have access to it even if it ends up getting delisted.

I have a whole host of reasons I subscribe to services like gamepass and origin access even while still picking out and buying the games I want from those services.

As for the above... you might want to check yourself, I've not said any of that.

Now if you'll excuse me, my purchased version of Wasteland 3 has finished downloading and is waiting for me on Steam™.

Good luck ranger.

Now if ONLY I had a demo to try the game out, I could see whether it was worthy of a purchase!!! Enjoy the game! Wish I could get into these types of games.

ZZZZ

Firstly, i'm not telling anyone how to spend there money. I don't really care. If you read my posts, I clearly state that IN MY OPINION I don't like the idea of a subscription service. That is only my opinion. And I don't want gaming to head down that path. I personally don't need to play all these fucking games the day they are released. I'm happy to wait for a sale to purchase them. I was content in the "old" days to have demos for games, not having to buy a subscription to play games.
But again, each to there own. If it works for you then that is fine. I would rather save my money and spend it on games I want to own instead of a service that gives me games I don't really want to play.
I've said what I need to say. Sorry for coming in with an opinion contrary to others. Please continue talking about Wasteland 3...!
I want to play Wasteland 3, and the gamepass service let me do it for 40 days at 1 dollar, so i don't have any issues with it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes you can, if you want to save before looting to see if you get a luck check or something, not sure why would you do it though.

I mostly just don't like when my party members die, or quit or something.. I like the option to try something else.

GHG

Gold Member
Now if ONLY I had a demo to try the game out, I could see whether it was worthy of a purchase!!! Enjoy the game! Wish I could get into these types of games.

Origin access and gamepass are my demo services.

I try games I'm not sure about out before I decide if I like them enough to buy at the price the game is available at.

For example I tried out Gris, loved it so went and bought it. On the other hand I tried out Rage 2 and Wolfenstein Youngblood, both disappointed me - stuck with them for a couple of hours to see if my mind would change, it didn't, I stopped playing, no harm done, money saved.

I used to buy magazines that came with demo disks for around the same price these sub services are available for. They are basically my modern day "demo disk" replacements with the added perk of the fact that you get to experience the final game so your final decision is a fully informed one.

On Wasteland 3, I'd say it's 100% worth buying if you're a fan of cRPG games. It's brilliant so far.

Yes you can, if you want to save before looting to see if you get a luck check or something, not sure why would you do it though.

Save scumming in these games is life.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I'm not worried about the 200 games (most are just filler and crap). What I am saying is, after a while you end up paying far more than what those games are worth by continuously paying for a subscription. Instead, you could buy the games you REALLY want and actually save money instead of wasting it on a service. My opinion of course and each to their own. I'd just rather save the money and buy games I want instead of spending good money for a service that, once you decide it's not worth having, you lose access to all those games.
It basically boils down to the fact you never truly own these games, you are just lending them month by month. And I hate that. You don't so good for you.

The nice thing about it is that the games will likely be cheaper than full price by the time you decide you don’t want the service.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The only saving grace for Windows Store is when in future winget will let you install store apps directly, its in their milestone.

Umbral

I’m interested, but can anyone tell me if this game is “woke”?

It has red flags but I want to make sure I’m not reading too much into them?

Good luck ranger.
you know IntentionalPun IntentionalPun , you can smell microsoft haters from miles away.
but anyway, aaron greenberg thanks you for your purchase on Steam™ GHG GHG ,
and will be looking forward to your forthcoming microsoft games purchases on Steam™ too

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
you know IntentionalPun IntentionalPun , you can smell microsoft haters from miles away.
but anyway, aaron greenberg thanks you for your purchase on Steam™ GHG GHG ,
and will be looking forward to your forthcoming microsoft games purchases on Steam™ too

Imagine taking grievance over people buying PC games where they prefer.

How on earth do i select all for my characters

If you mean for general movement then Spacebar.

I’m interested, but can anyone tell me if this game is “woke”?

It has red flags but I want to make sure I’m not reading too much into them?

Despite the default female character designs looking like they've come straight out of a twitter SJW convention I can assure you it's not.

oagboghi2

It wasn’t about MS vs Sony, it was more that MS gave up and moved on to next gen, which looking at their output in 2020 is not true.

Keep fighting the good fight though warrior. Sony needs you now more than ever.
Except it is true, if your output is flight simulation, a 5 hour beat em up and this.

And nothing exists in a vacuum. I know MS warriors don't like the word "competition" anymore, but people see the difference.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Except it is true, if your output is flight simulation, a 5 hour beat em up and this.

And nothing exists in a vacuum. I know MS warriors don't like the word "competition" anymore, but people see the difference.
If you believe those are the only 3 games Xbox released this year, you are living in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm sure Microsoft first party studios released an avalanche of AAA titles this year. Mind reminding me, I've honestly forgotten.
I never said an avalanche or AAA. This is the wrong thread for this discussion.

Perhaps in your free time you could look it up yourself, and actually try playing some of those games while you are at it.

That way you could come from a factual viewpoint instead of a opinionated one.

Just a thought. Take it as you will.

TheContact

Glad to see it's being well received. I loved Wasteland 2 and this one looks to be even better. I'll pick it up once it goes on sale though as my backlog is insane atm.

Methos#1975

I don't know. Personally I downloaded it on my XBX via gamepass but I'm still debating with myself rather I should pick it up on the Pro because one, I simply perfer the Pro and two, I'm debating rather I'll even get the next gen MS console so if I want to play this game again it will be on the PS5. There are legit reasons why people might purchase this game over just using gamepass.

JLB

Banned
That prisoner in base and conversation with him is something great!! :messenger_beaming:
And his voice acting! Gret!

haha, i keep him alive til i got the level to open the door. That guy and his mushrooms should be something special lol

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
haha, i keep him alive til i got the level to open the door. That guy and his mushrooms should be something special lol

Did you let him out? I initially let him out, but then I reloaded and I'm keeping him in there for the moment. I can't decide what to do with him yet.

And as someone else said his voice actor is GREAT!

jaysius

Banned
I had my first CRASH TO HOMESCREEN on the game last night on Xbox One, early into the game, I wasn't even performing an action at the time, it just decided "Yup that's enough, thanks" and crashed.

Also why the hell do I need to set my Gamma EVERY TIME it loads? It makes me worry that it's deleted my save.

I think before I pour serious hours into this I need to wait for a MAJOR patch.

I almost forgot, when I see loot on the ground and walk to it, if I'm "too close" and push A NOTHING happens, I need to struggle to move back and bit and press A again.

Seriously was this thing even tested on a Xbox One? Or are they just happy with this jank?

Last edited:

dok1or

My characters from Wasteland 2:

My characters from Wasteland 3; Doktor and Svetlana made it to Colorado hehe
Put similar stats and added custom portraits so they have same pictures...

Here is download link 1 and 2 for some portraits I found and they are similar like Wasteland 2 art; now and Wasteland 3

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Did you let him out? I initially let him out, but then I reloaded and I'm keeping him in there for the moment. I can't decide what to do with him yet.

And as someone else said his voice actor is GREAT!

I just got the lady that will take care of the daungeon from the sheriff. So Ill find out shortly i guess ha

You must only go into TLOU2 threads if you are really spewing this nonsense about what people say on here.

LOL, no, but nice try gaslighting folks. Any recent review of a Microsoft game (e.g. Battletoads, Microsoft Flight Simulator) or PS4 Game (TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsutshima) is rife with Sony Apologists and fans slagging on Microsoft titles and/or GamePass.

The game is great, but let’s be real about how sickeningly pro-Sony this board is and how a quality game like Wastelands 3 is being discounted by the pro-Sony masses.

manfestival

LOL, no, but nice try gaslighting folks. Any recent review of a Microsoft game (e.g. Battletoads, Microsoft Flight Simulator) or PS4 Game (TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsutshima) is rife with Sony Apologists and fans slagging on Microsoft titles and/or GamePass.

The game is great, but let’s be real about how sickeningly pro-Sony this board is and how a quality game like Wastelands 3 is being discounted by the pro-Sony masses.
Nice attempt of dismissing my statement with the fragile "gaslighting" card but no. Get a grip guy. Stop making things out way worse than they actually are.

I am also enjoying my time in wasteland 3. The cowboy cat is hilarious. Was going to do coop with a buddy but he started ahead of me so solo for now.

Bridges

This game is pretty phenomenal but holy shit it crashes or glitches out constantly In co-op (playing on a Xbox One X with someone on a regular Xbox One). I'm hoping this will be patched or get better further from launch because I've had to restart the multiplayer lobby maybe two dozen times since we started playing last night.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Enjoying the game so far. Just got back from the Garden of the Gods section. I feel bad for sleeping on the remake of the first and the release of the second, even though I own both on Steam.

pr0cs

and the release of the second
I just couldn't get into the 2nd, maybe it was the initiative combat rules or the random events when traveling but the game just felt off.
Thus far W3 has kept me interested and my toons and skillsets have gel'd so I'm having a lot of fun.
So far there hasn't been any SJWisms on the contrary the humour, sex, drugs, booze has been really good, been a while since I laughed when playing an RPG so W3 and it's writing has been great.
My complaint thus far is load times, they are abysmal.
I expected it to be bad on Xbox, even with SSD it takes a while, switched over to pc and still it's very long even on a nvme drive.
Not game breaking but if you want to save scum you might change your mind after seeing load times 😂

I didn't see an OT so I'll post my thoughts here. So far I'm really liking the game. I'm not too far in but the gameplay is way better and smoother than Wasteland 2. The story, the setting and characters also seem like a step up. I can see myself putting a ton of hours in this game. Good job InXile.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom