• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 Full Copies Out in The Wild and on youtube

Another PS4 Pro pic. Wish we could get some kind of info on what that 1.02 patch actually did.
25318939149_70ab0e12c9_b.jpg

Disclaimer: This might NOT be the pro enabled version.

One thing I don't like so far is that there doesn't seem to be much variation in enemy types. What I mean by this is that there's little to differentiate gang members from security guards. The AI also suffers from that hyper aggressive GTA thing.

A good example of this came on a mission on a movie set. There were guards patrolling as well as actors etc, however when I got spotted sneaking around outside the big warehouse where the set actually was they started blazing away immediately. There was no Hitman style "you're not supposed to be here sir" - they just pulled guns and opened up. These aren't military police, nor are they corporation thugs / mercs. They're just regular security guards on a film set. It gets worse. I was crouched behind a lorry in the car park (I had my gun out now, by this time I'd abandoned trying to stun them - they'd shot at me so I'm shooting back!) and they started THROWING HAND GRENADES AT ME. Security guards. On a film set. Chucking hand grenades around a car park which was still full of cowering cleaners and random movie extras. One poor civillian contractor got blown to bits.

Now I'm all for having aggressive AI, and soldiers / heavily armed mercenaries / gang members should be able to flush you out with grenades. However security guards on a film set should not be throwing hand grenades around busy car parks. That actually irritated me because it felt very out of place. I know it's not shooting for realism, but they still need to have some degree of plausibility in the world and the systems. It would have been much better if, upon hearing shots or seeing someone get KO'd by a taser, they just called the police. That would have made it much more real - they could put up a fight and hold you off until a squad car arrives to back them up. Then the police start looking for you as well.

That would have added more tension I think than just arming all the security guards with grenades. It's even more laughable when you profile the guards with your phone - you can see how they're just "dave", married with a mortgage and 2 kids. Yet here they are on a movie set hurling grenades about like they're in Basra. The police didn't even turn up - there was no wanted level or anything despite world war 3 breaking out in the car park; with grenades, bullets and bodies flying about all over the place!

Still a great game though!

Welcome to being a black man in America.

Cartho

Welcome to being a black man in America.

I was going to say I wonder if it's a dig at excessive use of force by certain US law enforcement officials!

I got my own back on "dave" the security guard with a mortgage and 2 kids after reloading though (I died to his oppressive tactics). Hacked his grenades from a security camera and made them go off in his pocket. You shouldn't play with big boy toys Dave. You never know what could go wrong....

linnu5

I still haven't decided if I get this on (regular) PS4 or Xbox One.

Can someone give me light?

The resolution is the same, isn't?

Ashtar

I still haven't decided if I get this on (regular) PS4 or Xbox One.

Can someone give me light?

The resolution is the same, isn't?
Without any insider knowledge, the game has higher res on PS4 and probably more stable frame rate, I'd suggest to go with that

lmao
unrelated but i just listened to a podcast on "Black wall street".... some really depressing stuff, luckily I have games to keep me away from harsh realities

Can you spare the podcast name or URL ? Thanks, look interesting.

Somebody know when review embargo end ?

Plum

Any indications on non-pro performance? This is shaping up to be a decent "November-Christmas" game as I've got a number of large assignments to do in the next few weeks and won't have enough time for a heavy story based game like FFXV. If the performance is good enough on the OG (i.e. consistent 30fps without a major graphical downgrade) then I'll probably pick this up on Tuesday.

ymgve

The number of cars/people doesn't seem that bad - it's on the same level as GTA V as far as I've seen. Are there actually any open world games with huge crowds?

Tohsaka

The number of cars/people doesn't seem that bad - it's on the same level as GTA V as far as I've seen. Are there actually any open world games with huge crowds?

Assassin's Creed Unity before they got rid of some of them in a patch. It still has a lot, though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
AC:Unity, was playing that the other day to pass the time and man, it really outclasses every other open world game in that regard, so many people doing so many different things.

Assassin's Creed Unity before they got rid of some of them in a patch. It still has a lot, though.
I don't recall any of the crowd sizes being that big.

Dremorak

Banned
That looks amazing..
I already purchased the game on PC
$30
. So, I'm thinking double dip if the game holds up..

Now. Watching the PSAccess video in comparison, the OG PS4 version looks rough. The framerate looks sluggish, pop in and screen tearing everywhere.

Where did you find it for that price?

Drewfonse

I'm just concerned that this will be overly goofy. I'm not really a fan of the Saints Row series. Is it even remotely like SR in terms of the story, humor, etc?

Dremorak

Banned
I'm just concerned that this will be overly goofy. I'm not really a fan of the Saints Row series. Is it even remotely like SR in terms of the story, humor, etc?

From what we've seen its more like goofy reality rather than batshit weird like saints row

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah. More self aware and a bunch of nerds being a bunch of nerds than SR's completely over the top absurdity that makes GTAV blush.

Its not like SR at all in humor style, more GTA 5 ish in mocking American culture. I've been watching my friend stream it while talking to him and I'd say its more like 60% serious and 40% mocking in tone. I don't find it anywhere near as biting as GTA 5 though, everything feels much more tame and light hearted.

It still doesn't really look that fun to me, while a HUGE step up from Watch Dogs 1 in terms of the main character having a personality and style, its still super Ubi-ish in terms of quests being pretty similar, collectathons, and the game getting pretty repetitive fairly quickly. Nowhere near as bad as Mafia 3 though. The setting and cities are gorgeous, PS4 seems to have some frame issues for some people but might be just a patch problem or something.

There does seem to be a lot of polish and extra fun stuff to find in the game, and looks like an absolute ton of content to plow through. From what I have seen it feels more like Mr. Robot gone through a Ubi filter. He has complained a lot about the driving, especially bikes and stuff, and I hated the car physics/handling in WD1 as well. He had to go offline after a while because he complained about being invaded non stop by people doing the online hacking events, that might be an artifact of not enough people playing right now.

You can see the game for yourself, people pop in and out of twitch streaming it
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Watch Dogs 2

lmao
unrelated but i just listened to a podcast on "Black wall street".... some really depressing stuff, luckily I have games to keep me away from harsh realities

It's pretty sad what happened then. Even sadder is not enough people know about Black Wallstreet. Maybe that would stop some of the stereotypes perpetuated against black people

I was going to say I wonder if it's a dig at excessive use of force by certain US law enforcement officials!

I got my own back on "dave" the security guard with a mortgage and 2 kids after reloading though (I died to his oppressive tactics). Hacked his grenades from a security camera and made them go off in his pocket. You shouldn't play with big boy toys Dave. You never know what could go wrong....

This made me laugh out loud. I pictured Dave's wife saying, "Why do you need grenades to be a security guard." With him replying trust me honey, nothing can go wrong.

Cartho

This made me laugh out loud. I pictured Dave's wife saying, "Why do you need grenades to be a security guard."

"In case I see a black guy with a laptop sitting cross legged behind a truck in a public car park. You can never be too careful these days."

Ashtar

Can you spare the podcast name or URL ? Thanks, look interesting.

Somebody know when review embargo end ?

Stuff you missed in history one of the GOAT podcasts

http://www.missedinhistory.com/

Black wall street
http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/the-tulsa-race-riot-and-black-wall-street.htm
New Orleans race riots
http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/new-orleans-1900-race-riot.htm
6 impossible episodes- they talk about rosewood, they also discuss my home island St. Croix's uprising!
http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/six-impossible-deja-vu.htm

IT's crazy to think this crimes were perpetrated by regular people and they got absolutely no justice, at least rosewood descendent got some reparations

But back on topic: Does this game have difficulty options? Word on the streets is yes but wanted confirmation

Still don't see any answers to my side quests question. Watch dogs 1 was amazing because of the crazy awesome side quest, digital trips, invasions and so on. How is all that in this game?

Lucifon

Still don't see any answers to my side quests question. Watch dogs 1 was amazing because of the crazy awesome side quest, digital trips, invasions and so on. How is all that in this game?

I feel like (so far at least) the level of "fun" in missions seems much more balanced throughout. I've not done any digital trips yet, no idea if that's in the game, but watch dogs 1 was a lot of dull generic quests mixed in with a few stand outs.

Ashtar

I can confirm hacking is still in the game, which side quest from Watch dogs are you referring to? serial killer?
AS for the digital trips ive heard nothing about them

Karak

Any indications on non-pro performance? This is shaping up to be a decent "November-Christmas" game as I've got a number of large assignments to do in the next few weeks and won't have enough time for a heavy story based game like FFXV. If the performance is good enough on the OG (i.e. consistent 30fps without a major graphical downgrade) then I'll probably pick this up on Tuesday.

I am doing side by sides for all 3. Performance wise you do see some drops even unconnected and its not a fan or running great when smoke and other debris is on the screen at times.
But its not terrible. The game isn't locked at 30 though if thats what your asking.

I can confirm hacking is still in the game, which side quest from Watch dogs are you referring to? serial killer?
AS for the digital trips ive heard nothing about them

No digital trips? That is inexcusable. So they went backwards.

So the QR puzzles are in? I know there is no AR games. How are the invasions and online stuff?

Ashtar

No digital trips? That is inexcusable. So they went backwards.

So the QR puzzles are in? I know there is no AR games. How are the invasions and online stuff?
I don't have the game, I don't know if digital trips are in or not, i just said i don't know anything about them

So torn on this game...

Just bought Dishonored 2.
I thought some of the story stuff looked cringeworthy from the GB Quick Look
But the impressions seem mostly positive.

Maybe I'll rent first.

Anyone got any impressions of the online invasion mode? I feel like it may have been ruined because of that flying drone and dumb detective vision.

sjay1994

As much as I'm really enjoying it, and it does feel like a really good step up from WD 1, I still find it very annoying that NO ONE has "out GTAed GTA" by this point. I mean with all the power they have at their disposal, to have a city which feels more empty and barren than GTA V does, when that was designed for a PS3 which had 256 MB of RAM FFS, is a pretty sad indictment.

The budget for GTA is absurd. But in my book, almost everyone whom has made a city open world has out done GTA in terms of gameplay.

Plum

I am doing side by sides for all 3. Performance wise you do see some drops even unconnected and its not a fan or running great when smoke and other debris is on the screen at times.
But its not terrible. The game isn't locked at 30 though if thats what your asking.

Should be alright then. I'm perfectly fine with it not being a locked 30, I was just a bit worried that it would be more around the 25-28 range during regular open world gameplay. If it's only dropping noticeably in instances like you said then I think I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Tovarisc

The budget for GTA is absurd. But in my book, almost everyone whom has made a city open world has out done GTA in terms of gameplay.

I wonder into what R* is blowing all that money when deving GTA's. Just insanely long development cycles? Gameplay and writing isn't where it's at :/

Well then, boys and girls at Ubi taking it all the way...

Stuff you missed in history one of the GOAT podcasts

http://www.missedinhistory.com/

Black wall street
http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/the-tulsa-race-riot-and-black-wall-street.htm
New Orleans race riots
http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/new-orleans-1900-race-riot.htm
6 impossible episodes- they talk about rosewood, they also discuss my home island St. Croix's uprising!
http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/six-impossible-deja-vu.htm

IT's crazy to think this crimes were perpetrated by regular people and they got absolutely no justice, at least rosewood descendent got some reparations

But back on topic: Does this game have difficulty options? Word on the streets is yes but wanted confirmation

Thanks, i never heard of that podcast (Y)

sjay1994

I wonder into what R* is blowing all that money when deving GTA's. Just insanely long development cycles? Gameplay and writing isn't where it's at :/

I guess their worlds, because they do look good and have stupid amounts of detail, and thats what people on GAF and the internet in general usually gush about, as well as the "amount of content" but the GTA games are bottom of the barrel when it comes to fun.

HeelPower

I honestly applaud Ubisoft for this protagonist.

He's actually a very real,"normal" looking guy.Totally someone you'd encounter in real life. He doesn't look a super male model or even an A list actor.

There's a very charming ordinary-ness about him.

Top Bottom