• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs delayed until the Spring of 2014 (after April 1st)

Delayed B/c

GTA V aftermath

as well as wanting to avoid competing with themselves and ACIV

Simple as that, the game was blatantly finished. This is a pure marketing decision.

ViciousDS

Banned
Delayed B/c

GTA V aftermath

as well as wanting to avoid competing with themselves and ACIV

Simple as that, the game was blatantly finished. This is a pure marketing decision.

They just hired a new tech lead for the third time during it's cycle, it's more than just sales.

ItIsOkBro

Aren't they already going to do that with the next Assassin's Creed release? Gotta keep those various platforms in the ICU for as long as possible with staggered launches!

watch-dogs-ps4-bundle-highres-1024x781.jpg

It makes me wonder if those boxes ship as is sans game, if they will become collectors items due to the "delay".

Ya know, they could put a 60 minute gameplay video trailer, and the box would still be accurate.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow didn't see this coming but it's probably for the best. Sure doesn't help with the already poor launch lineups though.

MG310

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/15/4842266/amazon-ps4-watch-dogs-bundle

"For those of you who pre-order the Watch Dogs PlayStation 4 bundle — don't worry — you will still be getting your Playstation 4 (without Watch Dogs) based on your current delivery estimate," the post reads. "We are adjusting the orders now and will update you once we know more."

A Product Alert on the bundle's Amazon page reinforces the Facebook announcement, saying that "All orders for the Watch Dogs PlayStation 4 bundle will keep their place in line."

Just stumbled upon this:

"Sony has said that it is working with Ubisoft and its retail partners while it considers how best to handle pre-orders placed for the Watch Dogs PlayStation 4 bundle.
In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com in response to Watch Dogs' delay this evening, SCEE said:
"Obviously this is [a] very recent announcement, but we will be working very closely both with Ubisoft and with our partners at retail to manage this situation."
The platform holder did not say whether it would be working with Ubisoft to replace Watch Dogs with an alternate Ubisoft title or if it would be pulling the bundle SKU altogether.
The Watch Dogs PS4 bundle was announced alongside three other official bundles earlier this month, which bundled a copy of the game in with the console."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch...anage_watch_dogs_ps4_bundle_pre-orders_2.html

watch_dogs_ps4_bundle_large.jpg

Fuck. I thought the bundle was just the system and a separate copy of the game. I didn't realize it was a literal pack-in. There's no way they'd delay shipping launch-day bundle pre-orders until spring or would they? The Watch_Dogs bundle was the only bundle that I was able to pre-order when I did. If I get screwed out a launch-day system because of this delay, I'm going to be upset.

Edit: Oh, so Amazon will honor preorders. Thank Jesus.

bill0527

My reasons for wanting to buy a next gen console on launch day just seem to get shorter and shorter.

I wanted a PS4 but won't sugarcoat the fact that this is a pretty shitty launch lineup of games. I had a PS4, watch dogs, and BF4 preordered.

I like Xbones launch lineup a little better but not enough to buy one. I don't want Kinect or.. Don't want to pay for it and I don't want an under baked rushed console.

Shit. I desperately want new hardware but I'm thinking neither company has sold me on needing to buy on launch day.

This is surprising, I kinda feel like they did this to encourage ac4 sales.

Is watchdogs going to be ubi's annual spring games?

Did gtaV attention to detail spook them?

Well either way I wasn't planning on buying a xbo until around then, so I guess it all works out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hoped to play it this year but if they delayed it this close to launch and for that long they probably had some major work to do. Probably for the best.

Vizzeh

Banned
"Microsoft Moneyhats Ubisoft to get Watch Dogs delayed to add Kinect integration."

Is this what you are really trying to say? Because if so, then wow.

My interpretation of what he said is perhaps they are having problems with the x1 version, its fps, resolution etc

this is a significant delay.

they've said that they've been working on the game for 5 years already, and now they need an extra half a year!?

At least they've set a precedent with delaying games a month from launch.

Yeah, I really feel bad for the teams working on the game; I imagine they probably hear about rumors of a delay in advance, but still have to work like crazy in case the release date sticks. It's gotta be hard to keep up morale when you think you're nearing the finish line, only to find it much further away than anticipated.

SaracenSam

Neo Member
Dick move by Ubisoft. They should be shy for making this announcement. It affects a lot of people (suppliers, bundles, etc.), not just them. I would understand if they made this decision back in July or August, not 5 weeks before the friggin game is supposed to launch.

Typical Ubisoft.

"Microsoft Moneyhats Ubisoft to get Watch Dogs delayed to add Kinect integration."

Is this what you are really trying to say? Because if so, then wow.

I think he meant technical limitations on XB1 but I really doubt that's the case

if anything it would be the 360 or ps3 holding things back

Eusis

Dick move by Ubisoft. They should be shy for making this announcement. It affects a lot of people (suppliers, bundles, etc.), not just them. I would understand if they made this decision back in July or August, not 5 weeks before the friggin game is supposed to launch.

Typical Ubisoft.
If it weren't for them likely REALLY wanting one of their most anticipated games at launch it probably would've been delayed ages ago.

Of course, the fact they want these games out sooner than later so badly IS a problem, most are content to just wait unless it's first party (maybe) or an annual/nearly done game anyway.

Has there ever been a case where a bundled game was delayed?

Then again I can't remember if previous generations, not counting the current gen, had bundled games outside. I seem to recall the xbox coming with 1-2 games.

I think he meant technical limitations on XB1 but I really doubt that's the case

if anything it would be the 360 or ps3 holding things back

If 360 and PS3 were holding them back, then why not just delay those? Let me say, my "wow" was because that is some serious speculation. Why would Ubi just do Microsoft this favor of delaying it for PS4 too? Seems pretty implausible.

Eusis

You're right. It was probably more because the game looked like trash, not just in gameplay but they had a massive graphics downgrade from the misleading reveal.
Heh, I wasn't even that impressed by the initial reveal. Maybe I'll look at it again after the game hits and I actually play it.

I actually could believe the delay is because GTA5...

If there is real proof, aside from the delay itself, I could buy into it. Now I don't believe that is the case but it could be.

On the other hand, delays are certainly not abnormal and I imagine this is a pretty big deal to get right seeing as it is going into the open world space with a TON of competition, especially next gen where even MGS is open world.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sucks, but I probably wouldn't have bought it immediately anyway. Hope the extra time ends up being worth it.

The game is ready Ubi is just shelving it to let ACBF shine this holiday season and to have something to put out during spring, no major conspiracy just maximizing their sales.

Looks are only one part of a game. The last couple of Killzone games have looked fantastic. But they have been boring as hell. From the videos I've seen of the new KZ, it looks like more of the same, but prettier.

You can't have looked too hard at those videos then, because SF is a pretty major departure from the norm for the series.

NHale

I will be shocked if this is the last delay for the game.

Ubisoft knows this game has the hype to become a huge franchise for them, so they will not risk launching a disappointing rushed game.

The game is ready Ubi is just shelving it to let ACBF shine this holiday season and to have something to put out during spring, no major conspiracy just maximizing their sales.

If you want to maximize sales you release a game on the Fall not Spring.

Top Bottom