• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion 4K RT ON/OFF comparison (RTX 3080)

Stuart360

doesn't seem like a huge difference

edit: nvm i see the reflections on the cars and water. Still nothing crazy though I guess later implementation will have more of a wow factor
There actually is a wow factor, this vid doesnt show the ifferences that well imo.
I'm currently watching someone play the game with RT off, and i watched CohhCarnage play the game earlier with RT on full. The difference is quite staggering, and i'm someone who is NOT sold on RT.
There was a part ealier with Cohh, where he drove down this street with a ton of glass store fronts, and his verhicle was beibng reflected all over the place, at different angles in different windows. It really was quite impressive.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Interesting, while the non RTX doesn't look bad per say, at least with this particular game, I feel it does look a lot more realistic with RTX on. However, it's my understanding that how an image looks without Ray Tracing has a lot to do with how developers implement lighting, and I have no idea if UBI did a great job with that or a poor job.

N30RYU

Do I have to notice something with the guy on the tunnel??? I must be dumb...

If it was for me... devs could do workarounds to not use it at all... and I would never notice.

Crm114

There actually is a wow factor, this vid doesnt show the ifferences that well imo.
I'm currently watching someone play the game with RT off, and i watched CohhCarnage play the game earlier with RT on full. The difference is quite staggering, and i'm someone who is NOT sold on RT.
There was a part ealier with Cohh, where he drove down this street with a ton of glass store fronts, and his verhicle was beibng reflected all over the place, at different angles in different windows. It really was quite impressive.

If theres some kind of clip and you could share that would be appreciated!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well i know one thing for sure with or without RTX this game looks like fucking garbo

Trash.gif

Sethbacca

The reflections on the vehicles of people walking and the buildings and shit they drive by is pretty impressive I guess.

Stuart360

If theres some kind of clip and you could share that would be appreciated!
Cant find the specific part i mentioned, but watch this from 1:09 to see what it looks like after rain. A ton of relections.

EDIT. Its not the part i mean but if you watch the building on the left at 1:12:11, you can see his car being relected at a front angle, pretty cool looking.

Last edited:
Because, wait for it, why on earth would you invest major effort into something only a fraction of the market would even be able to switch on, and even smaller would actually do.

It will be the same story with CP2077.

It wont. Cyberpunk has the entire range of possible raytracing effects. Including ilumination and shadows next to reflections. You're gonna see raytracing in every scene in that game - light and shadows are present everytime.

As for Watch Dogs, its extremely heavy on hardware. It barely runs on 3080's and 3090's as is seeing todays benchmark videos that have come up on youtube. You cant load the engine with more rtx.

Sony has PS4 games that look much more impressive than this, imagine what they'll do on PS5.

oh you dont say ? Which ones are that ? Surely you dont mean those empty games where you traverse hallways and have 5 npc's on screen max, no ? Which one of ps4's games mimmicks an entire city with hundreds of AI routines working at once and use more advanced rendering effects ?

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Do I have to notice something with the guy on the tunnel??? I must be dumb...

If it was for me... devs could do workarounds to not use it at all... and I would never notice.
Realistic shadows. The shadows are too dark with RTX off.

martino

Because, wait for it, why on earth would you invest major effort into something only a fraction of the market would even be able to switch on, and even smaller would actually do.

i really hope amd will deliver
that blood pressure because of salt saturation is reaching pity level.

more on topic : i see only reflections...so meh
and huge shame in most of those nigh sequence with all those lights with different colors

R6Rider

Gold Member
Reflections definitely look a lot better, but I'd prefer a higher fps mode that what the consoles are supposed to be getting.

Kuranghi

RTX... ON? I think.

Its not exactly transformational compared to Control or something like that. I think the lake reflection is actually more realistic with it off, not sure if its true to real life though.

I say turn it off and double your framerate in this case.

regawdless

Banned
Reflections look nice... But man, that game looks flat as hell. It would benefit way more from RT lighting.
I got it for free with my 3080, so I'll check it out. Am not impressed though so far, at least judging by the videos. The character model looks wrong, the faces look bad... Urgh.

ethomaz

Banned
The water is impressive.

Ray tracing on consoles will be like on lowest setting compared to a PC? Right?

I mean we will never see 100% ray tracing on them.
In some decades with 100-200TFs GPU we will see full ray-tracking.

For now what the hardware can do is something hybrid.

Last edited:

llien

Which ones are that
Horizon, GoW.

I didn't count NPCs, counting NPCs is a new concept to me. Surely, I've seen more than a dozen enemies attack at once in both games.

I mean we will never see 100% ray tracing on them.
Are you for real, son?
This is how Quake RT frame looks like, before denoising kicks in:
r4LJppH.png

And even picture above is using tricks, not true RT. More on it here

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
I think it's a bit hard to tell the improvements apart from reflections on water which are genuinely nice and noticeable.

I would also say that a lot of RTX changes are hard to notice because devs learned how to fake shadows and lights pretty well but the overall "correctness" of the image will shine through more with RTX enabled, such as cleaner shadows, more correct lights etc.

Looks great where water is involved but if I didn't know where I was looking elsewhere, doubt I would notice. Then again, I am a moron so....

Dampf

Nah. The userbase with RT hardware will grow more and more.

And CP2077 will use all sorts of RT effects much more than just reflections, the difference will be striking there. Literally current vs next gen style.

Last edited:
Raytracing is like ambient occlusion and tesselation. And other technologies that came before. It's a cool effect, but too performance intensive and not much worth it right now. But it'll be normalized eventually.

Malakhov

Banned
The miles ps5 DF video with the car exemple showed off RT better than this shite. Good job ubisoft

Last edited:

Inviusx

Pretty impressive how it improves the car reflections massively compared to RTX off. However if this is the difference between 60fps and 30fps, I have no problem disabling it.

xPikYx

I didn't get why AC Valhalla does not have Raytracing as well, it looks like it has only reflections and probably shadows, so for GI we can use reshade, obviously to run it you gonna need a 3080 for all of these effects

Banned
It's still ridiculous to me how much performance is wasted on such a tiny, minimal visual improvement that is just a gimmick currently. I really hope developers will soon forget this and bring us real nextgen visuals like the UE5 demo.

that UE demo also only looked as good because of raytracing. their Lumen tech uses software based raytracing AO and GI, also spoiler, they currently work on an efficient way to expand lumen to include raytraced reflections on smooth surfaces, they already support it for rougher reflections that don't need much detail.
the only tech that can realistically bring a next gen feeling from this point on is raytracing.

Last edited:

notseqi

I'm an AMD fanboy:
RTX ON looks better but I don't care for it. The graphics are great as is and I don't feel the need for better lighting/reflections. I don't want or need photorealistic scenery but if they would improve textures to make a more realistic image I'd reconsider my interest in lighting.

makaveli60

that UE demo also only looked as good because of raytracing. their Lumen tech uses software based raytracing AO and GI, also spoiler, they currently work on an efficient way to expand lumen to include raytraced reflections on smooth surfaces, they already support it for rougher reflections that don't need much detail.
the only tech that can realistically bring a next gen feeling from this point on is raytracing.
I haven't heard about that it looks that good because of raytracing yet. Good if true. Though my point is that I hope developers will find a way to spend the nextgen consoles' power budget more efficiently to wow us instead of wasting on such marginal improvements like the above, regardless if they use raytracing or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom