• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion 4K RT ON/OFF comparison (RTX 3080)

longdi

Banned
I wish we see more of path tracing like nvidia marbles v2 demo. Where the whole scene has that CG look.

RT effects only on reflections seem boring. 🤷‍♀️

Starfield

Hey, someone with more experience with RT games... is that a good implementation of RT?
There definitely seems to be RT Reflections, but not a lot of RT Lighting, right? I could be wrong here as I am not that familiar with RT.
Check out Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk for decent RT implementation. I'd say Metro has the best one so far but I may be misleading.

RT lighting beats baked lighting in every way. The only thing that makes RT lighting in games a bitch is that if a room is supposed to be dark it's gonna be dark af

scalman

We just dont look in puddles that much while playing... i mean we do that before game releases because what else to do so we look at them sure but when i play game i dont have time or not even think to look how some reflections are. They can be great in engine too , like in mafia remastered or some other games. For me its good enough. They should better went for next gen physics engine in games thats more cool anyways.
Game looks great just couple days left yay

The sad part is to show off RT most of the time they have to show angles that you won't be using during gameplay, I wonder if it's really worth the resources it takes to do it to even bother with RT? in some areas yeah it looks cool but if you are playing a racing game are you really going to watch the reflections to see if they match up? if you are running for cover are you really going to stop to see if your reflection shows up in a window?

Sucking up all the salt from the naysayers. Who's seriously against advancement in graphics. Something that was once a theoretical and not feasible thing, is now going to be mainstream. Wtf is wrong with people?

TonyK

I am a total graphic whore and the RT reflections in any game doesn't say anything to me. Personally, they don't add anything I feel excited for.

I wish they used the RT for real time global illumination.

RT for just the reflections is a huge waste IMO, as it's seen only in specific scenario like puddles or glass, which I'm afraid will be for the next-gen what open world was for current-gen, there will be puddles and skyscrapers everywhere, even on a desert, just so the devs can check out the RT box on their "to do" list.
Spec Ops sequel confirmed.

ss_add60055b4dc48fec37e14a149b467b416bc4278.1920x1080.jpg

llien

Are you the Art Director of CDPR to know such information?

This game is supposed to run even on last gen consoles.
Say you are "whatever Director" of CDPR.
How much % of effort would you invest into RT that:
1) Is hard to develop
2) Has major impact on performance
3) Can be run only by a fraction of customers

Please tell me.

Something that was once a theoretical and not feasible thing, is now going to be mainstream
There are no signs of that so far. (hint: UE5 demo)

Last edited:
This game is supposed to run even on last gen consoles.
Say you are "whatever Director" of CDPR.
How much % of effort would you invest into RT that:
1) Is hard to develop
2) Has major impact on performance
3) Can be run only by a fraction of customers

Please tell me.

There are no signs of that so far. (hint: UE5 demo)
UE5: Demo.

Any gameplay that is superior to 2 years ago, DLSS 1.9/2.0!?! As much as you flaunt AMD, id imagine you'd have a real life demo by now?! Wanna share any GAMEPLAY instead of downplaying superior tech? Any REAL LIFE stuff??

llien

UE5: Demo.

Any gameplay that is superior to 2 years ago, DLSS 1.9/2.0!?! As much as you flaunt AMD, id imagine you'd have a real life demo by now?! Wanna share any GAMEPLAY instead of downplaying superior tech? Any REAL LIFE stuff??

BH nonsense would not be answered.
Learn to distinguish between your arse and arse of Jensen, don't feel hurt when he is.

Yes, demo. Of what tech comes next in one of the most popular game engine.

Tech "superiority" exists only in your head, today's RT is about huge unwieldy problematic to change structures and lots of tricks to denoise the output, and, worst of all, with unpredictable performance hits. (this is citation from actual RT presentation, not something one nobody on reddit told some other nobody)

EPIC supports hardware RT since UE4.
Yet they didn't bother using it for UE5 demo.
Oh, and it was damn impressive too:

Reminder: we are talking about zounds of developers feeling orgastic about possibility to mess with hardware RT in their games.

This statement has ZERO facts to support.

However, my post wasn't even about "ease of development" issues of RT, merely on market penetration part.
I've missed the answer to " How much % of effort would you invest into RT".

makaveli60

Learn to distinguish between your arse and arse of Jensen, don't feel hurt when he is.

Tech "superiority" exists only in your head, today's RT is about huge unwieldy problematic to change structures and lots of tricks to denoise the output, and, worst of all, with unpredictable performance hits. (this is citation from actual RT presentation, not something one nobody on reddit told some other nobody)

Reminder: we are talking about zounds of developers feeling orgastic about possibility to mess with hardware RT in their games.

However, my post wasn't even about "ease of development" issues of RT, merely on market penetration part.

01011001 01011001 told me UE5 looked that good because of RT, yet I haven't heard about that. So what's the truth?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
basically nothing but reflections. raytracing is the future but it's still way too demanding for anything other than reflections, shadows, AO. global illumination is probably the best but that is the most demanding.

games will be using rasterization for a long time yet. fully raytraced games are a LONG time away on PC.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think well done RT is going to be subtle, so it won't be that evident in videos unless it's turned up to a ridiculous level, but playing it will be in the eye of the beholder, pretty much like HDR. It's either barely noticeable or really noticeable depending on you as a person. For what it's worth I thought the lake and actual reflections was done really well.

Zathalus

I wish we see more of path tracing like nvidia marbles v2 demo. Where the whole scene has that CG look.

RT effects only on reflections seem boring. 🤷‍♀️
Outside of indie or low performance games (like Minecraft), this is not happening for either consoles or PC until at least the next generation. Even then I doubt it. Full path tracing is crazy computationally expensive.

llien

01011001 01011001 told me UE5 looked that good because of RT, yet I haven't heard about that. So what's the truth?
Let's not get lost in semantics.
UE5 demo didn't use hardware accelerated RT.

"Rays" were cast way before RT has become a buzzword:

EPIC's words:

"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."

This is also the answer to "but can't you use hardware RT to accelerate it", the structures they are operating are different from what NV RT works with.
That, beside the "why would you" point.

Note that EPIC is not the first to roll out non DXR RT demo either, here is Crytek on Vega56:

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned

Erm...

Last edited:

makaveli60

Let's not get lost in semantics.
UE5 demo didn't use hardware accelerated RT.

"Rays" were cast way before RT has become a buzzword:

EPIC's words:

"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."

This is also the answer to "but can't you use hardware RT to accelerate it", the structures they are operating are different from what NV RT works with.
That, beside the "why would you" point.

Note that EPIC is not the first to roll out non DXR RT demo either, here is Crytek on Vega56:

This is a bit too techy to me. So what I understand is, Epic's raytracing is different than in WD Legion and it needs no raytracing hardware. So basically hardware used efficiently. Right?

Max_Po

Banned
what's up with Ubisoft's trash WOKENESS

did anyone notice the
NON-BINARY-PURPLE-HAIRED-PART-FAG-Lesbo as NPC

GymWolf

Sucking up all the salt from the naysayers. Who's seriously against advancement in graphics. Something that was once a theoretical and not feasible thing, is now going to be mainstream. Wtf is wrong with people?

People don't care for half-assed rtx implementation that probably steal time and resources that can be better used elsewhere like improving other part of the graphic.

On pc is different but how many people have a 3080-3090 that can sustain a decent use of rtx (with dlss)??

The majority of people are gonna enjoy rtx on their console for this gen, and the rtx on console is mostly trash and ultra limited.

We are just not ready yet for raytracing, nvidia pushed out their gpus but we are light years from fully raytraced games, for now it's just more work for devs that have to create 2 illumination\shadow methods for every game.

And i have a rtx capable gpu at home and i'm gonna buy a 3080 in a couple of months, so mine is not even an hate speach or a fox and the grape situation.

Dlss 2.0 is a far bigger deal at the moment imo.

Last edited:

Aidah

The cool thing about RT for me is that it allows for shit to be dynamic, and once it becomes a standard, devs don't have to spend so much time trying to fake everything and at the same time achieve much more natural looking results.

Shit has to start somewhere and build from there, and in a very short time it's already started to look like something you want.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
851.png

RT for just the reflections is a huge waste IMO, as it's seen only in specific scenario like puddles or glass, which I'm afraid will be for the next-gen what open world was for current-gen, there will be puddles and skyscrapers everywhere, even on a desert, just so the devs can check out the RT box on their "to do" list.

it’s going to be like hair physics this gen, a switch in the options to turn on puddle reflections at the cost of half your frame rate.

I’m sure ray tracing is the way of the future but if a 3080 can barely get playable fps the new consoles sure as hell won’t. Its gonna be a gen of people looking at puddles where it’s selectively turned on.

Edit:

What also gets me is that raytracing is supposed to be realistic. I live in Florida, rains all the time its so rare to get that mirrored water effect. its like every fucking puddle is a TV in these games.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The reflections look much better but the rest I see no meaningful improvement. There's no GI or anything.

makaveli60

Right.
Context: UE5 demo, EPIC Lumen.
Can't wait for games to look like that demo. I think it's a missed opportunity not releasing that demo for the consoles. I know it will be on PC but have we heard about anything about console release?

llien

Can't wait for games to look like that demo. I think it's a missed opportunity not releasing that demo for the consoles. I know it will be on PC but have we heard about anything about console release?

They said they are not going to turn it into a game.
And going by how previous demos vs actual games, we are unlikely to see something as cool, bar, perhaps, Sony exclusives. :(

makaveli60

They said they are not going to turn it into a game.
And going by how previous demos vs actual games, we are unlikely to see something as cool, bar, perhaps, Sony exclusives. :(
The UE4 demo (Elements was its name maybe?) is quite comparable to Doom Eternal and I think they have surpassed that, even at 60 fps. And that was not a playable demo either. I'm trying to be positive about this, even if we haven't seen anything really nextgen besides that UE5 demo.

People don't care for half-assed rtx implementation that probably steal time and resources that can be better used elsewhere like improving other part of the graphic.

On pc is different but how many people have a 3080-3090 that can sustain a decent use of rtx (with dlss)??

The majority of people are gonna enjoy rtx on their console for this gen, and the rtx on console is mostly trash and ultra limited.

We are just not ready yet for raytracing, nvidia pushed out their gpus but we are light years from fully raytraced games, for now it's just more work for devs that have to create 2 illumination\shadow methods for every game.

And i have a rtx capable gpu at home and i'm gonna buy a 3080 in a couple of months, so mine is not even an hate speach or a fox and the grape situation.

Dlss 2.0 is a far bigger deal at the moment imo.
I thought I replied to someone else, my bad.

Fucking hell i checked my notifications and saw my post was still fucked from earlier, my bad GymWolf GymWolf

Last edited:

Sooooo... Nothing from AMD?? All of that bark, and no bite? That demo is not gameplay, you do realize that right? So can you answer my question again, without going on a rant about nothing? Where are these amazing games at? Where is the game built off UE5 engine demo? As much as you try and peddle AMD being better, you got jack shit to show for performance. They might have good rasterization compared to years ago, but they are still behind in everything else, yet you can't remove your mouth from fondling their PR team.

You are a joke after that whole DLSS vs FidelityFX fiasco. Literally everyone laughed at the fact that you self owned yourself, so you might as well stop while you are far behind. Although, I'll admit, that was a funny ass self own.

Alebrije

The game looks bland as classic UBI cheap product...maybe gamepmay will be interesting but again instead of Ray Tracing better improve models and ambient.

If Ubi do not changed wilk be the next Bethesda....

DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong
Stay strong, warrior.
Which one looks better y'all?

A)
iRFfW1y.jpg

B)
bAJn87E.jpg

This guy peddles fud like a cyclist, so imagine picking the worst of these two, and calling it superior.

If you don't believe me check this out, to see his extremely biased thread, that backfired worse than any thread in 2020.

Azurro

Banned
This game is just really mediocre looking, RTX looks like a performance hog and outside of the cars and puddles, it's just tough to even spot a difference. RTX is a waste of performance here.

Brofist

Which one looks better y'all?

A)
iRFfW1y.jpg

B)
bAJn87E.jpg

This guy peddles fud like a cyclist, so imagine picking the worst of these two, and calling it superior.

If you don't believe me check this out, to see his extremely biased thread, that backfired worse than any thread in 2020.

Well the top one has a connect the dots mini game built in so I think I might enjoy that one

Top Bottom