• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs for trailer confirmed; Requires i7-4770K with a GF 780 for Ultra

UX Genes

The CPU in that iMac is a desktop chip - a 4771, clocked slightly higher than a stock 4770K. The problem is the 780m, which has a very misleading name and not at all comparable to the desktop 780. However it's decent and more capable than the recommended 560Ti.

As such, that iMac should play it comfortably, possibly even surpassing PS4 performance.

Well that is my main concern. I have the PS4 and really will hope that my $3,000 computer can play it better than that. Am I crazy for hoping for High around 30 - 45 fps?

I work in IT, but am honestly unfamiliar with laptop chips.

Renekton

I'd rather developers not cater to the ignorant and lazy on PC, I thought that's why consoles existed in the first place.
I figured said hypothetical "ignorant/lazy" enthusiast PC gamer would have already bought a Razer or Alienware.

The 780m is pretty much a downclocked desktop 680, you'll run it better than the consoles but the res of the iMac could be an issue. You'll be able to lock it at 30fps with much better IQ than the consoles, I'd get it on PC.
Its performance is supposedly around GTX760 desktop

StevieP

Banned
Well that is my main concern. I have the PS4 and really will hope that my $3,000 computer can play it better than that. Am I crazy for hoping for High around 30 - 45 fps?

You work in IT and have an iMac?!?! Lol I kid. But the price when it comes to macs doesn't factor into the performance you actually get from it. All of the parts are better than what's in the ps4 so in theory as long as the port isn't atrociously bad you're more likely to have a better experience on it. You won't be able to max it out however.

DedValve

Banned
sad-couple-hug-cute-bench.jpg

Don't worry too much, we can still run it at ultra
At 10 FPS

On the bright side the last gen consoles will look much worse but have the same performance!

UX Genes

You work in IT and have an iMac?!?! Lol I kid. But the price when it comes to macs doesn't factor into the performance you actually get from it. All of the parts are better than what's in the ps4 so in theory as long as the port isn't atrociously bad you're more likely to have a better experience on it. You won't be able to max it out however.

I am using it as a dual boot so I will buy the game for Windows (3 TB Fusion Storage total with 2 TB dedicated to Windows 8.1).

Lol and yes I have an iMac. We troubleshoot Mac and Windows, so I have to be familiar with both. Plus, I like Mac for video editing purposes.

I am buying the iMac on May 15th for $2,777 (I get an employee discount). I never really was into PC gaming, but due to my disappointment in my PS4 thus far, I am buying a new desktop to pair with my Surface Pro.

sgs2008

Specs seem fine to me wouldn't expect anything less than a 770 to max this game at 1080p and a constant 60 fps. This isn't much higher than that

Pronewbie

Banned
With these kinds of poorly optimised cpu releases, I hope this is where the new nvidia beta drivers will come into play. And this is coming from someone with a OC 4670K

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
3820 @ 4.6 and Geforce Titan + 100Mhz.

This better run well.

kinggroin

Banned
I seriously laughed at this. I hope this was sarcasm.

With my i7 4770k and a GTX 780, I'll take my ultra graphics, thanks.

The heck you talking about? No, I'm not being sarcastic, those are the settings I'm going to run at regardless of the framerate.

Haha when I see posts like this, it just makes me wish you would go outside or something. Why the hell do you have that much invested in gaming? Haha

Dont be a condescending jerk towards a gamer on a videogame forum.

Also, he was joking.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
But how do you know their optimization is better on PS4? And why would you even have a high end PC if you can only deal with the "simple, consumer friendly plug & play experience"

For me it is to play RTS games. I had my rig built so I could play Rome II. Just last night, I played about 4hrs of the game. Today, my save won't load. Sometimes console game is so much easier.

Bleepey

Arkham Knight is my canary. If my i5 4670, gtx 670 and 8gb of ram can't run it decently then I might cry. So for the record, if Watchdogs on Ultra is 12" and a pentium 2 CPU is 1". How big is my e-peen?

Kinthalis

Banned
For me it is to play RTS games. I had my rig built so I could play Rome II. Just last night, I played about 4hrs of the game. Today, my save won't load. Sometimes console game is so much easier.

I guess you must not play many console games often either... BF4 had deleted save game issues on consoles, so did the walking dead, so did Skyrim, so do a BUNCH of other console games.

I never had a save game that didn't load in Rome 2 btw, but I do know if you instlal beta patches, sometimes they will lose compatibility.

So, please stop making it seem as though gaming on PC is all about tolerating saves that don't work. Issues like that don't happen often at all, and when they DO happen, they're usually happening on consoles too.

solarus

Arkham Knight is my canary. If my i5 4670, gtx 670 and 8gb of ram can't run it decently then I might cry. So for the record, if Watchdogs on Ultra is 12" and a pentium 2 CPU is 1". How big is my e-peen?
You and me have th same rig :O
Arkham knight will be the real test to see if I built my rig too early for this gen.

Water

This is a pretty big exaggeration.

The 780M runs BF4 on Ultra at 54.2 FPS (1600 x 900)
Also, Far Cry 3 on Ultra at 51.3 FPS (1600 x 900) (and its as un-optimized as possible).

Source : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780m-770m-765m,3732-6.html

That is not nearly as bad as a Desktop 680 downclocked.
At good resolutions the 780M is tied with a 760 or worse. Not a match to a 680/770. Note that the 780M is a 100 watt part whereas the desktop cards are up to 250W - there's only so much you can do while sipping power.

If Nvidia was able to make their 100W part as fast as you think the 780M is, then they could also make a lot faster desktop chips or stick two of these wonder chips in a single 200W card.

seph1roth

Guys, newbie here...

I'm really concerned about the present-future PC game optimization, and without trolling or anything like that (mostly because i don't have enough knowledge about PC optimization and hardware capabilities) and seeing this last topics about next gen games on PC...

For example, to run this game at the same quality as XBONE-PS4, how much money need a gamer to invest on a new PC prepared for the next gen games?

Sorry about my english if there's a misspelling, im not english-speaking.

Renekton

Guys, newbie here...

I'm really concerned about the present-future PC game optimization, and without trolling or anything like that (mostly because i don't have enough knowledge about PC optimization and hardware capabilities) and seeing this last topics about next gen games on PC...

For example, to run this game at the same quality as XBONE-PS4, how much money need a gamer to invest on a new PC prepared for the next gen games?

Sorry about my english if there's a misspelling, im not english-speaking.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745567 <-- get your rig advice here

Bear in mind PS4 is slightly better than HD7850, so the minimum GPU you should get is 270X or GTX760.

seph1roth

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745567 <-- get your rig advice here

Bear in mind PS4 is slightly better than HD7850, so the minimum GPU you should get is 270X or GTX760.

Ahhh don't worry, i mean...i have a good PC but my question about what kind of hardware is needed to run XBONE-PS4 games is in general, to have a clear idea of what kind of hardware needs a gamer to run the next gen games.

As i said before, my question was in "general" and worried about the future PC gaming optimization.

Thx btw ;)

Kinthalis

Banned
Ahhh don't worry, i mean...i have a good PC but my question about what kind of hardware is needed to run XBONE-PS4 games is in general, to have a clear idea of what kind of hardware needs a gamer to run the next gen games.

As i said before, my question was in "general" and worried about the future PC gaming optimization.

Thx btw ;)

Right now we're in a transitional phase. New API's are springing up on the PC, and improvements to DX are coming faster and are more apparent in performance. Current game engines just haven't been fully modernized yet. They are still driven by heavy single threaded processess, and most don't take advnatage of modern improvements to DX, nevermind things like mantle.

I think anything that has similar hardware specs to a PS4 in terms of GPU, and pretty much any 4 core or more modern desktop CPU will be just fine to play games at roughly console settings for the rest of the generation.

With DX 12 coming (and not requiring new hardware), mantle, Opengl with extensions from the hardware manufacturers and Steam OS, the "optimization" of consoles (this word has taken a staggeringly different meaning in GAF, which is mostly -but not entirely- about reduced CPU overhead) will be available to PC games developers. So similar hardware will perform similarly in most respects.

The question most PC gamers end up facing 2-3 years into a generation though, isn't usually - "Do I HAVE to upgrade", but rather, "Do I WANT to upgrade?"

In 3 years you'll be able to pick up a 4K Gsync monitor, or an OLED 120 HZ one. Oculus will be available and the best experiences will be had with more powerful hardware. Games will offer more impressive features in terms of lighting and efects on PC for people with better hardware than what's on consoles, etc, etc.

Will you WANT to stick to a console like experience then? You certainly could, but you could also get something more out of it.

The answer for 99% of my friends, btw, when this question came up last gen was hells no. They didn't want to play games at 10-30 FPS, super low rez textures, sub 720p, primitive lighting, etc, etc.

seph1roth

Right now we're in a transitional phase. New API's are springing up on the PC, and improvements to DX are coming faster and are more apparent in performance.

I think anythign that has similar hardware specs to a PS4 in terms of GPU, and pretty much any 4 core or more modern desktop CPU will be just fine to play games at roughly console settings for the rest of the generation.

With DX 12 coming (and not requiring new hardware), mantle, Open GL with extensions from the hardware manufacturers and Steam OS, the "optimization" of consoles (this word has taken a staggeringly different meaning in GAF, which is mostly -but not entirely- about reduced CPU overhead) will be available to PC games developers. So similar hardware will perform similarly in most respects.

Ok, thx.

This is because i frequent some shitty forums like meristation (spanish website) where people think they need to spend +++++1000$ on a new PC to run next gen games at the same quality as the new consoles.

I mean, i have a 4700K and a GTX 770 OC 4Gb so I THINK i don't have to worry about the next gen games.

btw, is there any possibility to see games previous to DX12 like this WATCH_DOGS patched to improve his performance? that would be awesome. (hope to see this with Witcher 3 too)

I just upgraded to a i5 4430 (no "K" models in my country, and AMD chips are more expensive :p ), and a radeon HD 7950.

I hope I can play this game at 1080p high settings at least :(

i5 3570k, GTX 560ti. Whelp, time to upgrade.

Dude I literally have the same specs as you but I don't think an upgrade is a must, just because that nowadays many games come out that can run just fine in high-ultra settings with this rig, I wouldn't invest in such a big step just because of one game, maybe in 2 years, but for now? I'd call for patience

riflen

Ok, thx.

This is because i frequent some shitty forums like meristation (spanish website) where people think they need to spend +++++1000$ on a new PC to run next gen games at the same quality as the new consoles.

I mean, i have a 4700K and a GTX 770 OC 4Gb so I THINK i don't have to worry about the next gen games.

btw, is there any possibility to see games previous to DX12 like this WATCH_DOGS patched to improve his performance? that would be awesome. (hope to see this with Witcher 3 too)

Watch_Dogs will not get a DirectX 12 renderer. Wait for Watch_Dogs 2. Witcher 3 also has a project time-line that makes DirectX 12 support very unlikely. Remember, MS have said they are working on a schedule that would allow the first DirectX 12 games to arrive Christmas 2015.

i7 2600k and GTX 780 here, I think I'll be fine for now.

Oh you should be. You have Hyper Threading so the recommended amount of "cores" are met. Overclocking it should not be a necessity, but if you have to you'll get at least 4.3GHz with a couple of button presses which should be more than enough.

Kinthalis

Banned

Thx btw ;)

Ok, thx.

Hardware manufacturers usually release driver updates that improves performance of released games and game devs themselves sometimes release performance improvement patches, so I'm sure the performance of Watch_Dogs say 3 months after release will be better than on release day, but they won't go back and rework the renderer in a major way. I certainly wouldn't expect to see a Dx12 verison patch or anything like that for current games.

R1CHO

Your 3000$ computer is not a 3000$ gaming pc, but a 3000$ imac.

That 780m is a slow 770, better than a ps4 of course, so it will probably run the game fine, and 30-45 fps shouldn't be a problem at 1080p... 2560x1440 we will have to wait and see, but i would go and say nope, no with all in the highest settings.

PS: Great place to see benchmarks of "mobile" chips:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Grumbul

3570k 780 here. think ill still probably just play it on high or w/e to get it to 60fps.

once you drive in an open world game at 60fps, you just can't go back.

I believe this very much reflects my own feelings here.

I only just started realising that NVidia are very much into 40fps as there target frame rate when such specs are being announced - so no doubt Ubisoft are doing the same (if not referring to 30fps in fact).

I have had a real hard time as a PC gamer having to consciously take a step back and realise that in pretty much any large open world game these so called Ultra specs are typically never going to involve running at 60fps on a single card (even at 1080p).

If I was content with 30fps no doubt Ultra is obtainable in the likes of Ubisoft games such as AC4 and Watch Dogs, but for those of us seeking 60fps there are going to have to be some compromises.

I never used to have a problem with even sub 30 frame rates when playing on PS3 and Xbox but these days it is 60fps which is the most important aspect to me. You give me that magic frame rate and I can happily dial down a few notches elsewhere.

wazoo

Dont be a condescending jerk towards a gamer on a videogame forum.

Also, he was joking.

When you see someone - not that poster joke - posting crazy specs and asking if he can handle the game, either you have

- a totally clueless guy about what he buys

- a rich and pretentious attention whore

and pc gamers say they don't upgrade every year....

really im sure people with with 670's or under are fine the game is gonna look amazing anyway.

Nzyme32

Glad I don't have the headaches pc gamers are going to have upgrading, I'll make do with the PS4 version.

Most of the people here only need to upgrade if they want the ultra presets. Their machines are likely more than capable of high settings, current rumour suggests only as high as medium presets on PC would be equivalent to the ps4. Of course, that is only a rumour

Oh you should be. You have Hyper Threading so the recommended amount of "cores" are met. Overclocking it should not be a necessity, but if you have to you'll get at least 4.3GHz with a couple of button presses which should be more than enough.

Yup, running the same except the GPU which is a 780Ti. My CPU is running 4.5ghz, I should be fine.

Fractal

Banned
Those are pretty high requirements... I better hope the game has something to show for it, instead of being an unoptimized mess like AC Black Flag.

Still, I think my OC'd 2600K will do fine, and I'm looking to upgrade my 670 GTX soon, will probably go for a 780 ti, since the Maxwell release is nowhere in sight.

This isn't my first rodeo, I'm 100% sure there will be some settings that you can take down a notch that barely affect the visuals but do provide a nice boost in FPS.

Top Bottom