• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs for trailer confirmed; Requires i7-4770K with a GF 780 for Ultra

Eusis

Spent $500 on 680 last year and already outdated. Why do I even bother.
I think for most people they'd have either a lot of money or be THAT passionate about PC gaming. For me, I'm good until modern games are practically unplayable on reasonably decent settings.

I'm finding it hard to believe that this game needs all that power to run in ultra. Just look at the trailer, I can barely tell any differences from it to the ps4 footage.

I have a 780 Ti but not a i7-4770k only a i7-2600k. Hopefully I'll be fine, everything is running at stock but it might just be time to try my hand at overclocking.

Gurish

I don't get it, didn't the reveal footage run on GTX680?
And it was much more impressive, Why suddenly GTX680 can't run this downgraded version on ultra?

Smokey

Nice to know top end hardware will be put to good use...but still...We ain't sweatin' over here UBI

Gimme dat ULTRA we ready

The minimum wouldn't be low for the benchmark to show that average. Plus it's on max settings, not PS4 settings. Benchmark results are from graphically demanding areas. If you're concerned about performance, wait before you buy the game. PS4 might have poor performance and it might run fantastically on a 7970.

What I'm wondering is if the game ran on a GTX 680 back in 2012 when it was demoed, what have they added to make it require so much more? People have already been saying it looked better in 2012.

Benchmarks say it can. You should definitely get 30 FPS at PS4 settings. That's more to the point.
Maybe I didn't laugh loud enough when I commented on how rediculous it is to say the i7 920 is dated. I suppose by age, it's fairly old, but by performance, it's fine.
I understand your reasoning for believing what you do, but you have two people with the same system telling you that what you think isn't true. The game runs well in certain areas, yes, but it really slows down in others. Even at PS4 settings.

As for the 2012 demo, it was just that. They made a small, limited demonstration specifically for a system with a 3770k and GTX 680. IE if the current gen consoles had been made with a 3770k and a GTX 680, and Watch_Dogs had been made for those systems alone, we would probably have the game that we saw in 2012. Because that isn't the case, however, we're getting what we see now.

viveks86

People should get Ubi or Nvidia to release the direct feed footage for download, so that we aren't stuck with a youtube video as a frame of reference. It's about time everyone starts giving that option.

Applecot

So do we know if these sudden jump in requirements is a function of poor optimisation in the new gen, or a significant leap in graphical fidelity. Or perhaps an enhancement in world generation or something.

My 2500K @ 4.5GHz with 680GTX SLi should be OK at ultra minus TXAA which I dislike anyway, its a huge performance hog without much benefit.

So do we know if these sudden jump in requirements is a function of poor optimisation in the new gen, or a significant leap in graphical fidelity. Or perhaps an enhancement in world generation or something.
I don't know that the requirements have jumped.

I think it's more a case of Ubisoft being coy before and being upfront(hopefully) now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I understand your reasoning for believing what you do, but you have two people with the same system telling you that what you think isn't true. The game runs well in certain areas, yes, but it really slows down in others. Even at PS4 settings.

And if you're talking true PS4-equivalent, then anything below 30fps is out.
PS4 doesn't drop frames in AC4, ever. Digital Foundry measured for four hours of gameplay without a single dropped frame.

Gurish

Super optimized slice vs actual game maybe?
Yea i guess there wasn't even a CITY in that demo, you could only walk the determined and highly scripted path, no AI calculations, much smaller scope, it was practically a linear game in terms of demand, no wonder a 680 could run it with a better fidelity than a more powerful card can run final game.

And if you're talking true PS4-equivalent, then anything below 30fps is out.
PS4 doesn't drop frames in AC4, ever. Digital Foundry measured for four hours of gameplay without a single dropped frame.
Naw, it does drop a little.

I went to the same places that I did on PC and the FPS did go down to 28 or 29 in a few places. It's not a persistent occurrence, but it does happen on occasion.

Even so, that's still better than my PC could do.

You saw one or two frames drop?

What a load of bullshit.
I can tell the difference between 119 and 120 fps let alone 28 and 30.

A consistent, locked framerate is perfectly fluid. Any time that fluidity is lost my brain instantly notices the change. I'd be surprised if most people who've been playing PC games for a long time couldn't notice the difference.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Don't skimp man, the gen has only just started.
The new Das keyboard is great
Ugh, you make a good point. I did it with my past upgrades so I should probably do it with this one. Hell my 570 has lasted me this long and that's nearly four year I think.

Only problem is the stupid Australian price on our tech, the cheapest 780 is $575 and is only 3GB version. Would I find better performance with a 770 4GB or 780 3GB?

Courage

Ugh, you make a good point. I did it with my past upgrades so I should probably do it with this one. Hell my 570 has lasted me this long and that's nearly four year I think.

Only problem is the stupid Australian price on our tech, the cheapest 780 is $575 and is only 3GB version. Would I find better performance with a 770 4GB or 780 3GB?

You'd get better performance with the 780, but if you're running on a strict budget the 770 will be fine.

Spent $500 on 680 last year and already outdated. Why do I even bother.

Yes, I also spent 480€ a year ago for a good custom NVIDIA 680 (Point of View/TGT GTX 680 4GB Charged) but I realize pretty soon that was not enough for ultra settings at the native resolution (2560x1440) of my monitor.

So I sold it only after a month and for that money I bought two Radeon 7950 3GB.

Same money but way better performance.

Mid-high GPU in Crossfire/SLI is the best value for money choice for me. Especially for 1440p.

jet1911

I'm finding it hard to believe that this game needs all that power to run in ultra. Just look at the trailer, I can barely tell any differences from it to the ps4 footage.

Makes sense if Ultra means super high quality antialiasing/insane lighting tech that will bring down the performances but that are hard to notice.

Top Bottom