• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hmm, wasn't there a controversy that started after BF4 E3 demo was running on a PC and not Xbox One, and everyone started accusing Sony's E3 demos were all doing the same? But quickly developers like Jonathan Blow said on twitter "All games were running on PS4 dev kits". Anyways, thanks for the reply buddy.

Yeah, there was that.

chadskin

Remember, while the September 2013 footage looks great, that's not the issue at hand here. We have March 2014, Ubisoft reintroduced Watch Dogs and there's a new trailer as well as new gameplay footage that's made, authored and released by Ubisoft to market the shit out of the game with - seemingly - significantly worse graphics.

watch_dogs_e3_2012_vs_march_2014_by_endless_1-d795oxr.gif

JbAusIP.jpg

If it looks anywhere like the September 2013 footage, fantastic! But if it was indeed running on a PC, then it remains questionable how the finished product will look like on PS4.

Moneal

I think that someone said that even that E3 2013 demo was running on "PC attuned to PS4 settings" kit. I'm not sure, I know one of those two vids was 100% mentioned to be running on PC that is emulating PS4 settings.

i think that was the reveals at the ps4 reveal that were pc at ps4 settings.

TheGrue

I don't get the post-impressions excuse: Whether or not the game will turn out fine is advocating for consumer risk - the publisher will essentially get the rewards either way. What we're trying to avoid is letting people reconsider what kind of message they are going to send if the solution is always to "test out" the game in the end. It's serves no purpose and it only paves the way for more bait-and-switch tactics in the near future.

All we want is the game to end up matching the reveal or surpass it, anything else should be called out. This is a game that won over 90 E3 awards and you better live up to such lofty expectations. The fact that this game got this reaction from a trailer 2 years ago is proof that there is something wrong with the game development.

I didn't quite say it right, but I meant you don't buy it, wait for impressions, and then decide to buy it or not. People that buy games on release day and/or pre-order are not doing anyone any favors. That company got your money already. You can complain, but they still got your money. If you don't buy it, wait for impressions from the guinea pigs that did, and when it's a bad game, don't buy it, you just let them know that a bad game is not acceptable. They don't get your sale.

Remember, while the September 2013 footage looks great, that's not the issue at hand here. We have March 2014, Ubisoft reintroduced Watch Dogs and there's a new trailer as well as new gameplay footage that's made, authored and released by Ubisoft to market the shit out of the game with - seemingly - significantly worse graphics.

[IG]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/065/e/7/watch_dogs_e3_2012_vs_march_2014_by_endless_1-d795oxr.gif[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/JbAusIP.jpg[/IMG]

If it looks anywhere like the September 2013 footage, fantastic! But if it was indeed running on a PC, then it remains questionable how the finished product will look like on PS4.

God dammit Chad just when I was thinking I was out, those 2014 videos and gifs

EXY6PwS.gif

Portugeezer

Gold Member

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/065/e/7/watch_dogs_e3_2012_vs_march_2014_by_endless_1-d795oxr.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JbAusIP.jpg[IMG]

If it looks anywhere like the September 2013 footage, [B]fantastic[/B]! But if it was indeed running on a PC, then it remains questionable how the finished product will look like on PS4.[/QUOTE]

I would say there is inconsistency, the good parts look as good as the good parts from 2013 (which also had some ugly sections if I remember correctly).

To point out bad looking parts only is being disingenuous. It's fair to say certain parts look underwhelming, but some parts look great. I am worried about the inconsistency we have seen, but I am not going to act like it all looks that way; most of it doesn't, which is why people keep posting the same gif and screengrabs from the seemingly "bad" looking parts of the video.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
If anyone says that his does not look like a nextgen game, he has serious problems [PS4, E3 2013]
mzejes.gif

What I know is, people like night time and rainy weather settings. Sleeping Dogs is a perfect example of this.

Ubi should have all videos be night time only lol.

If anyone says that his does not look like a nextgen game, he has serious problems [PS4, E3 2013]
mzejes.gif

There is no doubt the E3 and Feb reveals during the PS4 conference was simply sublime, next gen stuff, and very close to the original reveal back in E3 2012.

Hey buddy can you gif some of the awesome looking moments from the Feb reveal??

chadskin

I would say there is inconsistency, the good parts look as good as the good parts from 2013 (which also had some ugly sections if I remember correctly).

To point out bad looking parts only is being disingenuous. It's fair to say certain parts look underwhelming, but some parts look great. I am worried about the inconsistency we have seen, but I am not going to act like it all looks that way; most of it doesn't, which is why people keep posting the same gif and screengrabs from the seemingly "bad" looking parts of the video.

Don't you think it's rather stupid to put "inconsistent" material of your game into a trailer meant to reintroduce and market it? Even the shittiest games have great looking trailers.

There's far more than these two images, they're just the most obvious ones.

I'm still going with the game is not 1080P if the trailer was of the right versions. Check out the clarity differences:

2013 "PS4" E3 Demo:

image_watch_dogs-22463-2527_0001.jpg

image_watch_dogs-22463-2527_0015.jpg

image_watch_dogs-22463-2527_0017.jpg

image_watch_dogs-22463-2527_0018.jpg

March "PS4" 2014 trailer:

ILNISIM.jpg

TYS4wTz.jpg

MaLDo

I knew that that clip wasn't from a trailer. What I meant was that footage like that should have been in the trailer. Instead what we got was some San Andreas lookin bridge jump.

Again, yellow car chase in the bridge sequence is not from a trailer.

Someone fucked up the scenes in the b-roll gameplay. That's all.

chadskin

If they've fucked it up, they could have shot down any speculations a long time ago. That's easy. Sean's here, the Twitter guy, the Twitter lady, the Twitch stream, yet no one did.

Alienous

Fucked up? How so?

If you mean by picking a shot that's representative of the game, but not flattering, then sure. If you're implying that this is another "wrong version" event, I'm not so confident.

TyrantII

That seems to me more of a jump to conclusion than the game simply was downgraded. Ubi is well aware of this nuke going off on GAF, and they had plenty of time to scramble and fix a small mistake like that.

Instead we get juniors right on time deflecting and obfuscating.

OT but on another note, I've noticed a bit of junior member bashing lately. Being a junior member does not equal being uneducated with regards to understanding graphics, game engines, etc. I say this as a junior who's undergrad was in multimedia and digital animation. Be nice :)

OT but on another note, I've noticed a bit of junior member bashing lately. Being a junior member does not equal being uneducated with regards to understanding graphics, game engines, etc. I say this as a junior who's undergrad was in multimedia and digital animation. Be nice :)

Juniors are brave people (unwittingly even at times).

They risk life and limb with every post (permanent banning). :D

rvy

Banned
I love how people think that's its more likely that there's a "b-roll" during the videos than the game getting downgraded.
Because as we all know, Ubisoft are very bad at making videos for their games.

TyrantII

Not at all. But the mod's have pretty publicly been dealing with quite a few paid astroturfers and viral marketers as of late. I was a long time lurker, and it never seem to have gotten this bad before, even during launch periods.

Cmagus

JbAusIP.jpg

There is obviously something wrong with the lightning for sure I mean this environment would look fine if it was not flat. Nice lighting coming through the window above and some depth would go a long way .They do still have sometime though it all just seems like the final polish isn't there which can go a long way so lets hope they can get it sorted out.

100 page GAF thread, lol. My gut still tells me this is going to be a good game. If Ubi takes anything away from all this it should be to stop with the impossibly good-looking reveal videos. 'Target footage' is just a fancy synonym for LACED WITH LIES, after all, and gamers are onto it in a big way, especially after this, KZ2, Aliens and of course, ACIII.

Shame The Division is clearly going to fall victim to the same thing.

OtaQ

Neo Member
Guys, I actually can´t really understand the whole discussion. I mean of course, Ubisoft had to communicate technical differences better, but after all, the game looks still really good.

I already had the chance to play it for around 5 hours. Last year the PS4-version for 2 hours and last week for 2,5. Yes, there were some little technical issues, like cars apearing suddenly while driving fast on the other street side and some anti-aliasing weaknesses, but overall, it still looks very good and can easily compete with Assassin´s Creed on PS4.

The discussion is all about totally crazy comparings, the first PC footage confronted with PS4 gameplay, night-scenes with day-scenes, different light-scenarios, rain and sunshine. And yes, compared to that high end PC-version with all that exclusive Nvidia graphic-features, the PS4 looks worse. But I´m totally sure about, Ubisoft will improve it until the release and finally we get a great next-gen-experience with the release-version.

The gameplay is the most interesting part, and if you really worry more about the graphical look instead of thinking about the content, the dynamic situations, possibilities with NPCs and the AI, then you will probably miss one of the best upcoming games in a while. A new and fresh scenario, mixed with fast and dynamic gameplay with cool characters. Give that game a chance and if you want to see high-end graphics, get the PC-version!

mechphree

Guys, I actually can´t really understand the whole discussion. I mean of course, Ubisoft had to communicate technical differences better, but after all, the game looks still really good.

I already had the chance to play it for around 5 hours. Last year the PS4-version for 2 hours and last week for 2,5. Yes, there were some little technical issues, like cars apearing suddenly while driving fast on the other street side and some anti-aliasing weaknesses, but overall, it still looks very good and can easily compete with Assassin´s Creed on PS4.

The discussion is all about totally crazy comparings, the first PC footage confronted with PS4 gameplay, night-scenes with day-scenes, different light-scenarios, rain and sunshine. And yes, compared to that high end PC-version with all that exclusive Nvidia graphic-features, the PS4 looks worse. But I´m totally sure about, Ubisoft will improve it until the release and finally we get a great next-gen-experience with the release-version.

The gameplay is the most interesting part, and if you really worry more about the graphical look instead of thinking about the content, the dynamic situations, possibilities with NPCs and the AI, then you will probably miss one of the best upcoming games in a while. A new and fresh scenario, mixed with fast and dynamic gameplay with cool characters. Give that game a chance and if you want to see high-end graphics, get the PC-version!

It's not the fact it looks bad now. It's the fact compared to the 2012 footage it's a pretty big down grade that had people up in arms. Instead of telling people that it has downgraded, Ubisoft people have said if anything it looks better then their 2012 reveal.

rvy

Banned

That's not what they sold to people for the past 2 years.

Regarding gameplay, that's up for anyone to judge when they get to play it, Ubisoft doesn't have a good track record as far as that goes.

chadskin

We have to go by what Ubi says. Which was this in September 2013:

Watch Dogs' visuals have not been scaled down since the game's reveal at E3 2012, creative director Jonathan Morin has told VideoGamer.com, claiming that if anything, they've actually improved.

It's not just about the graphics, though. With the seemingly downgraded lighting system, the atmosphere changed quite a lot - and not to the better. No one in their right mind says it looks like a PS2/N64 game but after the latest trailers a few days ago it's closer to being a GTA V HD than the "true" next-gen experience, in terms of visuals, that I was personally expecting. Take inFamous Second Son into the mix which comes close to the visuals we were shown of Watch Dogs at E3 2012 (or, by Ubisofts logic, of the better version at E3 2013). So I don't think those were unreasonable expectations in the first place either.

ViciousDS

Banned
Funny, is if this is the current Gen footage now what the hell does last generation footage look like? the PS3 and 360 version are going to get blasted

I feel sorry for the 150 million potential buyers that are going to get a game that probably looks like that Aisha Tyler video that was leaked

Oh boy.

Part of me feels bad for Ubi because I'm sure that the developers have put a ton of blood, sweat and tears into making WD the best game possible but I hope that they understand that with each new generation the stakes and investments made by both publishers and gamers is getting higher.

A lot of people who were hyped for this game are pissed now because this game in particular was used to sell people on the promise on next gen and now it appears to be a slightly better looking version of a last gen game on the new consoles. I wouldn't doubt that it's a fun, high quality effort from Ubisoft but a lot of that may be lost under the disappointment about the presentation. Ubi should have been a lot more transparent about the development process for this game so people wouldn't have had such high expectations. I honestly forgot that the game even existed for a while and it was originally the game I had preordered with my PS4.

Hopefully once the game is released and impressions get out people will be more understanding and not punish a good game for not looking as next gen as they wanted but Ubi is ultimately to blame if that doesn't happen.

psn

The latest footage inside of the buidling for example looks really bad because of the lightning.. Thats why I love the new Fox engine.

I wont buy it if it really looks like this. Looked a bit better during the nighttime, but still... meh. This is 2014, this should be eye candy... I mean, imagine GTA V in higher Resolution for Xb1 / PS4 / PC.

Shadownet

Banned
I think it's clear that you're a Ubi-hater! /s

I definitely wouldn't say the newest footage resembles the original E3 footage, but I think it's fair to say it hasn't changed much over the past year. The 1st gif in the OP is misleading because of mostly compressed video and other minor aspects. Although when the camera's in motion it does appear to make everything look much worse.

If you look at all the crap I bought with a Ubisoft logo on it. You would know I'm not a Ubisoft hater. I'm just a disappointe consumer by now.

Lemondish

It's not the fact it looks bad now. It's the fact compared to the 2012 footage it's a pretty big down grade that had people up in arms. Instead of telling people that it has downgraded, Ubisoft people have said if anything it looks better then their 2012 reveal.

I don't think they said that. I think they said it looks equal to or better than the E3 2013 gameplay reveal.

There seems to be a fair amount of misinformation, assumption, and outright fabrication surround this topic that any legitimate discussion is being choked to death by exaggerated internet rage.

The reality is that we will never, ever, ever be free of bullshots or bulltrailers. Sure, they can shift the discussion of those trailers by labeling them their 'vision' or 'intention', but at the end of the day its still essentially the same thing. We won't be free of it because the backlash is never seen in any way financially. Watch Dogs was the most preordered next gen game before the delay and I highly doubt that was because of enthusiast communities like this that are seemingly largely against preorders or launch day purchases.

Shadownet

Banned
60% of the time, this thread delivers every time. Full of speculations,overreactions and conspiracy theories. :D

Usually after 50 pages. Speculating are the only fun thing left to do. We already smashed Ubisoft so badly.

*look up at your name*

Junior Member...
/s

TyrantII

Grabbed some more caps from the high bitrate Gamersyde vid. Tried only grabbing what appears to be gameplay. Not sure how someone can look at these and claim something isn't off. They all appear to be 720P up-scaled to 1080P as well.

5q0Pr74.jpg

Qv7naYS.jpg

Gp85sf7.jpg

txrRJca.jpg

UxWxrzs.jpg

XveFPVS.jpg

1rMUvWi.jpg

Code:
General
Format                           : MPEG-4

Video
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Baseline@L4.0
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 2mn 21s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 14.9 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 40.3 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels

Something is wrong.

Shadownet

Banned
Me being a Junior Member doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than yours. Also, I'm not defending Ubisoft, just pointing out that your view is wrong. They have time to change the graphics, not completely, but they have time to do something like I said.

Didn't say it was less valid, just something strange I noticed. That all the people seem to be okay with this whole thing and backing up Ubisoft have been mostly junior member.

Sorry. My brain tend to notice the weird little details.

Gurish

Can someone please explain me what the fuss is all about?

Ever since it's debut in E3 2012 we've seen the game countless of times on PS4 (and PC according to UBI) and it was obvious ever since than that there was a downgrade compared to the 2012 build, but still it didn't seem to draw much attention as much as now.

Sure some people complained, but for most it seemed the graphics were still good enough, so why now everybody is so furious?

Was there any additional downgrades since 2013?
Are everybody really pissed because some bad photo someone captured or a misleading GIF?

Seriously!?
Look at the whole gameplay, it doesn't seem much different from the 2013 build.

Lemondish

Ubi should have been a lot more transparent about the development process for this game so people wouldn't have had such high expectations.

Or maybe people should start taking responsibility of their own expectations rather than expecting a company to manage it for them.

Just a thought.

If it was as simple as 'get the PC-version!' this thread wouldn't exist much less be 97 pages. PC advantages has always been performance and resolution and there is a MUCH bigger difference than that from E3 2012 to E3 2013. People are more upset that the E3 2012 footage was never real in the first place and the first clue should have been the announcement of the last gen versions. It's the reason Infamous SS looks much better than Watch Dogs does now, there is no ps360 anchor to pull it down.

ViciousDS

Banned
Grabbed some more caps from the high bitrate Gamersyde vid. Tried only grabbing what appears to be gameplay. Not sure how someone can look at these and claim something isn't off. They all appear to be 720P up-scaled to 1080P as well.

Something is wrong.

A game that is running in 1080p native( from what we know) is being upscaled to 1080p.....wtf is this ps3 footage and we are being trolled by ubisoft.

fasTRapid

Banned
I think it's hilarious how the E3 2013 demo on a PS4 / PS4-spec'd PC was already a downgrade coming from the E3 2012 reveal so they had PR swearing that there were no downgrades.

But now after seeing the massively downgraded 2014 gameplay the E3 2013 PS4 demo is praised for its graphics.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think it's hilarious how the E3 2013 demo on a PS4 / PS4-spec'd PC was already a downgrade coming from the E3 2012 reveal so they had PR swearing that there were no downgrades.

But now after seeing the massively downgraded 2014 gameplay the E3 2013 PS4 demo is praised for its graphics.

I wouldn't say praised but the minimum that we(at least me XD)want

KORNdoggy

My issue with this entire thing is more to do with ubisoft then graphics. I've played and enjoyed the likes of thief, AC4 and ghosts despite looking like previous gen ports, so naff visuals isn't the main issue. The issue is those games where always shown as they turned out to be, wheras watchdogs they have shown us one thing and given us something else. If the reveal gameplay was indeed a proof of concept pipe dream in regards to atmosphere and visuals, then they should have said as much to curb our hype levels and exoectations. Instead they claim there has been no downgrade, when clearly there has, and continue to misslead us with bullshots. But they do this all the time, i'm just happy to see everyone lobying against it in a hige way for once. Even if i am crushed that the game i was psyched about looks dissapointing as hell now.

Jedi2016

...it still looks very good and can easily compete with Assassin´s Creed on PS4.
AC4 on PS4 is nothing but an up-rezzed last-gen game with a few extra bells and whistles. There's absolutely nothing "next-gen" about it. Yes, I own it, I've played it, and I've enjoyed it, but at no point did I try to delude myself into believing it was something that it's not. It's simply the best-looking version of a last-gen game. I don't hate them for that, because they didn't try to tell us any differently.. I knew what I was buying before I bought it.

Comparing Watch Dogs to AC4 isn't the best way to convince people that it's a "truly next-gen experience" like we were shown two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom