• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
People seem to really want this game to fail for some reason.

Just reading some tweets from thuway suggesting that rock star release gta5 at the same time.like to troll.

Have mixed feelings about something like that. I want gta5 next gen just as much as anyone else but, assuming the watch dogs is going to be a pretty good game in itself, I don't really want it to be dead out of the water and to a re-release no less. (Ironic seeing how tomb raider was shat pre-release but people can't seem to stop thirsting for gta5 definitive edition)

if something is good I want it to do well so that we can see it again instead of being buried from lack of sales. Maybe I'm speaking too soon having not seen enough gameplay though. On the other hand if the game completely sucks and not just visually...bomb away.

Just some random stream of conscious coming from all this watch dog drama I guess.

MaLDo

To me, it looks like they're attempting to go for the "ICEnhancer" look that we saw with GTA IV. In some areas, enhanced GTA IV looked unlike anything else out there but there were also plenty of areas where it looked blown out and incorrect. That was just a mod, of course, but at times Watch Dogs does have that look to it. Like they're trying to emulate bright sun light on a city street and failing. It looks best in the evening scenes.

Yes, exactly what I said 55 pages before when the meltdown was growing :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103476611&postcount=1937

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

Nah. Was very impressed with the E3 2012 trailer. Watched the 2013 trailers supposedly on PS4 and was still impressed. I watched the 2014 story trailer and felt let down - hype was burst. If the graphics have not been downgraded then why release such a poor looking trailer? Have they done this intentionally to generate attention and then boom release a trailer showing current gen footage?

Right.... because the *point* somehow flew by you, or are you just being obstinate? To get you up to speed, this is about the latest development not matching the original reveal. How you manage to get the "world-against-X" responses I will never know.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Right.... because the *point* somehow flew by you, or are you just being salacious? To get you up to speed, this is about the latest development not matching the original reveal. How you manage to get the "world-against-X" responses I will never know.

Maybe I'm just a selective reader but then so are you if you think this thread doesn't contain any of that. Especially considering how we already saw some glimpses of downgrades in prior footage and I don't remember people shitting the bed over it. See other thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=781337

RedAssedApe

Banned
maybe thats because it wasn't going gold in a few weeks and they got the benefit of the doubt?

September footage was before they announced the delay no? I can't remember the exact timeline but unless I'm totally wrong that's about the same time frame between this new footage and new release date.

KORNdoggy

maybe thats because it wasn't going gold in a few weeks and they got the benefit of the doubt?

Bingo. The game was quite a way off and i assumed things would improve back then. And if it didn't the downgrade, while bad, wasn't massive and it was a launch game in a time where i had sod all else to play...

Now however, it's less then 3 months away with no chance of hitting the reveal standards, it has been downgraded on top of a downgrade producing a massive difference between reveal and retail (despite being delayed). And it's releasing in a time where i'm not desperate to play something.

chadskin

September footage was before they announced the delay no? I can't remember the exact timeline but unless I'm totally wrong that's about the same time frame between this new footage and new release date.

People did notice though, it even prompted Ubisoft to declare on September 27th:

"There's no scale down in quality, especially the next-gen versions," Morin said, discussing some of the negative reaction to recent trailers with us at Eurogamer Expo this afternoon. "It's pretty much the opposite. What we showed at E3 2012 in a lot of respects was less good. I think it's in the details. So no, there's no scale down."
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch...wn_since_reveal_creative_director_claims.html

Oddduck

This might sound really nitpicky, but anyways...as a Chicagoan I was looking forward to playing a good representation of Chicago, and a lot of the images showed like it was doing a good job. But that gif dampened a lot of excitement I had. Wtf there aren't any small rocky bluffs in Chicago, and there isn't a huge ass bridge over water leading into downtown like that. Obviously I don't expect them to make it look exactly like Chicago block by block and get every building, but throwing in a major structure that doesn't exist (big ass bridge) while ignoring a well known Chicago structure that could have been there instead ( Soldier Field, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium etc) is pretty disappointing

I could be wrong, but doesn't this game take place more into the future?

So maybe this is their vision of what Chicago looks like in the future, and that could explain why they're taking so many liberties.

TyrantII

And this is a frame from that 1080p video that people think is better than new trailer

and another of the reasons why I think people are jumping to conclusions without solid reasons.

EDIT: Oh shit! I just saw the new ElTorro gif that pause a very similar frame of the same chase O_O

1384389056483842_animate.gif

Which vid did you pull it form? If it was IGN or Youtube, just throw it out. They're encoded in Kbps, not Mbps.

Basketball

Here is a gif (with accelerated time) of the entire sequence, freezing at a few key points. The car looks "good" or "bad" depending on the lighting. I'd take from that the the infamous gif in the OP shows the worst possible comparison and that the game is indeed running better than at E3 2013. Nevertheless, it's in my opinion not as good looking as the E3 2012 trailer.

ib0wEkzMU0fexi.gif

I wonder how much of those buildings are enterable

chadskin

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I honestly don't remember this type of mega thread backlash outside of the admittedly shitty Iesha Tyler video.

No, that's true. I didn't notice any downgrade back then, either. On closer inspection, yeah, but like I said, I usually neither care about nor notice these kinds of things. Was surprised it seems rather common, not just with Ubisoft.

RedAssedApe

Banned
No, that's true. I didn't notice any downgrade back then, either. On closer inspection, yeah, but like I said, I usually neither care about nor notice these kinds of things. Was surprised it seems rather common, not just with Ubisoft.

Yep. I actually didn't even remember the far cry 3 thing until people brought it up in these threads. Then again that game was never on my radar until it released and got good reviews so I probably paid little attention to threads about the game.

ViciousDS

Banned
This might sound really nitpicky, but anyways...as a Chicagoan I was looking forward to playing a good representation of Chicago, and a lot of the images showed like it was doing a good job. But that gif dampened a lot of excitement I had. Wtf there aren't any small rocky bluffs in Chicago, and there isn't a huge ass bridge over water leading into downtown like that. Obviously I don't expect them to make it look exactly like Chicago block by block and get every building, but throwing in a major structure that doesn't exist (big ass bridge) while ignoring a well known Chicago structure that could have been there instead ( Soldier Field, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium etc) is pretty disappointing

Looks like they took the west bound skyway and just threw water underneath as it's the only bridge in the city that looks like it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
From the (shitty quality) video:

JbAusIP.jpg

Seriously getting an N64 game vibe.

OMG! LOL! I've been following this thread and saw this image a few times and assumed it was a joke. I legitimately thought someone took a screenshot from some N64 game and Photoshopped Watch Dog UI elements into it. Now that I know this is actual PS4 gameplay I am in tears from laughter.

chadskin

This is from the guy who reported on the Watch Dogs resolution:

Watch Dogs has no gore, no shooting while driving and slightly downgraded visuals. But still really fun.

As one of the few people who played the game for 90 minutes, I can vouch that it's true. The visuals aren't as hot as what Ubisoft made them out to be back in E3 2012. The game also lacks some other weird limitations as well. But those don't necessarily make it a bad thing.

In terms visuals the game still looks pretty breathtaking. Keep in mind I played this on a PS4 and everything in terms textures environements and animations looked superv (especially during rainy sequences). Yes, there was this cartoon/cell shaded feel to some of the characters but not to an extent people are making it out to be. Again I played this on a PS4 so the PC version might look a bit different.

Pavillion

no gore? that really sucks... hope it still has those little details like the puddles after it rains and the other little things.

RedAssedApe

Banned

In terms visuals the game still looks pretty breathtaking. Keep in mind I played this on a PS4 and everything in terms textures environements and animations looked superv (especially during rainy sequences). Yes, there was this cartoon/cell shaded feel to some of the characters but not to an extent people are making it out to be. Again I played this on a PS4 so the PC version might look a bit different.

This is how I felt about assassins creed. Visuals never really blew me away except for night time/rainy sequences.

GavinUK86

What have you done?!? Bottom one has lost details. (e.g. I just can't see anything on his left back)

If you can't see anything on the left side of his back then you may need to set up your monitor correctly. I can see just as much detail in the bottom image as the top.

This is how I felt about assassins creed. Visuals never really blew me away except for night time/rainy sequences.

lol arabgamer. I wouldn't trust anything that site says.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If you can't see anything on the left side of his back then you may need to set up your monitor correctly. I can see just as much detail in the bottom image as the top.

lol arabgamer. I wouldn't trust anything that site says.

I didn't actually click the link. Just mentioning that I am biased towardss how rainy scenes look. :D

iceatcs

I've retested from lagom.nl

Some little tuning with my monitor setting, and still not much different - the underarm and left edge back still very black.
I think top one is still looks bright too. What I want the shadow little darker, not everything.

cobaltorange

Neo Member
OMG! LOL! I've been following this thread and saw this image a few times and assumed it was a joke. I legitimately thought someone took a screenshot from some N64 game and Photoshopped Watch Dog UI elements into it. Now that I know this is actual PS4 gameplay I am in tears from laughter.

Boy, do you people exaggerate or what? It looks bad, but N64, really? More like PS2.

jiiikoo

Banned
Didn't say it was less valid, just something strange I noticed. That all the people seem to be okay with this whole thing and backing up Ubisoft have been mostly junior member.

Sorry. My brain tend to notice the weird little details.

I still can't fathom how I am backing up Ubi with my comments. I'm saying "They have time to do something about the graphics" which should read to most people as me saying the graphics aren't that nice, but acknowledging the fact that there is time to improve them. I can't see how that's defending Ubisoft. I'd say it's being cautiously optimistic...

The idea of an average person (not sure what the main characters background is in this game) being able to shoot a gun while driving a car is pretty absurd. No blood is a weird choice though, maybe they just turned it off in the demo.

You're expecting a Rockstar game? You will be disappointed.
Yeah hopefully the campaign/story in this will be better. Kind of hard for it not to be. GTAV's world is unbeatable though.

Just once - once! - I would love to be able to voice an opinion about something without being told that no, I'm not being honest, I'm just trying to avoid making a publisher angry. Think that's possible, NeoGAF?

Nope, from my point of view there may be bias in your opinion.

Liamario

Banned
Just once - once! - I would love to be able to voice an opinion about something without being told that no, I'm not being honest, I'm just trying to avoid making a publisher angry. Think that's possible, NeoGAF?

Until "games journalists" take their jobs seriously and actually write like real journalists; taking anything they say without a massive slab of salt, is going to be difficult.

I don't know how unbiased your opinion is, but I do know that the majority of gaming press out there, are nothing more than PR mouthpieces; whether they realise it or not.

Damn. I'm just catching up with the news and the comparisons. I should've know better that the E3 2012 trailer was too good to be true, especially considering Ubisoft's previous track record.

Can't wait for the 'The Divison' downgradeaton thread :lol:

WARP10CK

Banned
Damn. I'm just catching up with the news and the comparisons. I should've know better that the E3 2012 trailer was too good to be true, especially considering Ubisoft's previous track record.

Yeah might as well get that ready for that thread as well my god ubisoft have really shit the bed on this one. One of the most anticipated games this year.......

RulkezX

Until "games journalists" take their jobs seriously and actually write like real journalists; taking anything they say without a massive slab of salt, is going to be difficult.

I don't know how unbiased your opinion is, but I do know that the majority of gaming press out there, are nothing more than PR mouthpieces; whether they realise it or not.

They're enthusiast press , people expecting ( or wanting) hard hitting journalism are nuts. We can have a hundred page thread over 5s gifs of Watch_Dogs graphics with people expressing dozens of different opinions , but if a journo has an unpopular opinion it's a massive pile on with everyone desperately trying to scream bias in the most hyperbolic way possible.

These guys are just (mostly) gamers paid to write about games , you're free to ignore everything they say. If people hold them up as bastions of truth and base their purchases around their opinions...,,,,then the problem lies with them.

"Graphics not at risk" have been said by the developers on the stream and on twitter for days. It's obvious that they are following PR script written by the same people that wrote the story for Assassins Creed.

GlamFM

Banned

I fully expect the devision to be even worse.
Thread will be glorious.

DieH@rd

Banned
I fully expect the devision to be even worse.
Thread will be glorious.

Division will look better than WD, that is sure.

- full focus on 3 nextgen platforms
- no need to maintain dozens of NPCs and moving cars everywhere around player
- majority of NPCs that player will encounter are enemies that does not have to be unique-looking as all NPCs in WD
- environment is claustrophobic, view distance is smaller because player is dumped in cramped streets
- game prevents player to move fast (no cars, trains, boats, choppers, planes) and giving engine time to more easily manage streaming of environment assets

IMO, Division on PS4 will have worse aliasing, worse shadows, worse texture filtering in distance and maybe some pop-up. All acceptable.

If you weren't working in the "gaming journalism" field? Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom