• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC performance thread [Read post #1215 before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthalis

Banned
Ok some fraps benchmarks. Default high, 1080p. all 120 seconds. not using day1 patch, 337.88? drivers

Test 1:
test1yluv0.png

Driving around getting some hotspots. Disregard max, that was from me opening the map for a few seconds.

Test 2:
test2bqu25.png

Trying to unlock a cTos tower

Test 3:
test3a1ua8.png

Slowly turning into daytime, sunrising, walking around.

Test 4:
test4aduea.png

Running around fast hacking people

Bench:

cpud0sdl.png
gpu2h4s17.gif

8GB DDR3

This is what I'm talking about. A nice PC rig, but wiht a GPU worse than a PS4, and yet doing better than a PS4. Nice results. He's not turning up to ultra at 1440p and then going off on a rant about how terirbel this game is and he'd rather play it on his Xbone :p

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't have anything spectacular, I won't be running this game anywhere near ultra and most likely on high neither. But since this will be the first time I'll have to toy around with the settings, patches and maybe mods when they come I have no clue what I'm doing :p

I'm gonna play on an MSI GE40 laptop. i7 4702-MQ processor, GTX760M and 8GBs of RAM. So yeah, these Lego games aren't very demanding but Watch Dogs is truly something else.

Your processor looks good, but your GPU is about a 650 equivalent. I don't know what the native rez of your laptop is, but if it's 1080p, I think 30 FPS on low is a possibility for you - which still is better than say, a last gen console.

If your panel is of lower res, or you are willing to drop the resolution (say 720p), you might be able to bump up some settings to medium.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ok some fraps benchmarks. Default high, 1080p. all 120 seconds. not using day1 patch, 337.88? drivers

Test 1:
test1yluv0.png

Driving around getting some hotspots. Disregard max, that was from me opening the map for a few seconds.

Test 2:
test2bqu25.png

Test 3:
test3a1ua8.png

Test 4:
test4aduea.png

Bench:

cpud0sdl.png
gpu2h4s17.gif

8GB DDR3

WIth my 3GB 7970, i7 4770k and 16GB of RAM, I should be able to push this to Ultra at 1080p with a decent framerate.

Kinthalis

Banned
Look at this prerelease shot. POM or tesselation on the ground, was definitely in pre-release builds. Completely absent from the release game. Also, the game does not nearly look this fantastic imo.

Yep. These types of textures effects are usually the first thing to go on consoles, I don't knwo why they took 'em out fo the PC version, since modern PC GPU's handle these texture effects really well.

Linius

Your processor looks good, but your GPU is about a 650 equivalent. I don't know what the native rez of your laptop is, but if it's 1080p, I think 30 FPS on low is a possibility for you - which still is better than say, a last gen console.

If your panel is of lower res, or you are willing to drop the resolution (say 720p), you might be able to bump up some settings to medium.

It's a 1080p screen. Since I don't have a current gen console yet I decided to try it on PC for a change. It's much cheaper than buying a copy for my 360 and it should indeed look better on my laptop as well.

Guess I'll just toy a bit with the settings and see what happens. I mostly need to know where I need to be for day one patches and driver updates since I've never bothered with that stuff before.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's a 1080p screen. Since I don't have a current gen console yet I decided to try it on PC for a change. It's much cheaper than buying a copy for my 360 and it should indeed look better on my laptop as well.

Guess I'll just toy a bit with the settings and see what happens. I mostly need to know where I need to be for day one patches and driver updates since I've never bothered with that stuff before.

You'll be fine with a GTX 760M.

Scroll all the way down to the Optimal Playable Settings chart, and find the 650 (2GB), which will give you a ballpark of what settings to start off trying.

Currently on my Macbook, but hopefully this will be evidence enough of my purchase.

Anyways, after about 15 hours I've finished the main campaign (and done zero online or side missions), so that will give you an idea of average longevity (not the 30 hours purported by Morin before release). Story is pretty generic but fun enough (maybe not for the full $60/£45). Past this, take things with a pinch of pre-day-1-patch salt.

My PC's specs:
i5-4670k overclocked to 4GHz
16GB 1600MHz RAM
NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB

Graphics: The game certainly has its moments, mainly in the cutscenes - soft shadows, good AA, IQ, etc. etc. As has been said many a time, the game's best moments are during the nighttime and raining. As much as it's beating a dead horse, daytime really doesn't make the game shine, and it feels very....last gen. It's here that the PS3/360 cancer spreads through.

Pop-in is terrible. Seriously, terrible. The main offender is traffic, where Ubisoft have some standard "headlights" animation in the background, and 2 or 3 cars popping in about 30 metres away from your location. It without a doubt breaks the immersion.

Performance: When it's behaving, on my rig the game averages a very playable 40-50 FPS, going higher when looking at the sky or in low population areas, lower when driving into parts of Chicago you haven't visited in a while and more intense firefights. I've set everything on max apart from textures which are on High. High textures recommend 2GB of VRAM (Ultra recommend 3GB), but it's safe to say until Ubisoft patch in some performance, you'll need much more.

I think we can say Ubisoft have fucked up again* with some sort of memory leak, because if you play for too long, gameplay stutters down to 5fps every 20 seconds, making the game unplayable. Turning textures down to Medium sometimes fixed the issue, but you really shouldn't have to do that with a 4th Gen Intel CPU and the 3rd best gaming GPU NVIDIA released last year.

seriously, Battlefield 4 is one of the buggiest pieces of shit out there, but on that game I get a flawless 60fps on Ultra. This era of dissapointing PC ports needs to stop.

Well this convinced me not to buy this right away.

Ubi's pc ports have never been great anyway, atleast in my experience.

What resolution were you running at? Assuming 1080.

TSM

Well this convinced me not to buy this right away.

Ubi's pc ports have never been great anyway, atleast in my experience.

Keep in mind that no one in this thread has played this game with the latest nvidia drivers and the day one patch yet per AndyBNV from nvidia. That's not to say that things will change drastically, but it's still early to call this one.

Linius

You'll be fine with a GTX 760M.

Scroll all the way down to the Optimal Playable Settings chart, and find the 650 (2GB), which will give you a ballpark of what settings to start off trying.

That's a lot of text explaining many things. Thanks a lot for this, will read. And it looks like I'll be running most things on medium then. What benefits do things like a day one patch offer on top of that? Will it just make the overall experience smoother or can it also give less powerfull rigs like mine a chance to bump up some settings?

b0bbyJ03

has anyone done any comparisons with the old vs new nvidia drivers? what is the word on the street? did they improve performance?

So far only issue I have is v-sync not working either in game or forced via nvidia control panel. I'm sure there was a way with ACIV. Was it with rivatuner or D3Doverrider? Can't remember. How do I get it to work?

J-Rzez

Damn, that's a nice Camaro

Haha, I noticed that too because I had an 89 IROC (in black 5-spd!!!) and one of my best friends had one that same exact color which you don't see a lot of anymore these days. Tuned Port Injection!

Anyways, from glancing through, seems like i5 users are having some issues? This wouldn't be the first that the i5 couldn't muscle through. Maybe we're finally seeing i5's reached their endgame.

Aeana

If someone wants to make a new thread with updated information, feel free to do it now. Otherwise I will be duplicating the first post of this thread and the original poster will be tasked with keeping it up to date. Either way this thread will be locked in an hour or so.

JayEH

Haha I just checked up on this thread. So by the looks of it, like one person bought the game legitimately? Wow.

TSM

If someone wants to make a new thread with updated information, feel free to do it now. Otherwise I will be duplicating the first post of this thread and the original poster will be tasked with keeping it up to date. Either way this thread will be locked in an hour or so.

fluffydelusions didn't keep this one up to date. Just saying.

TheD

The Detective
Anyways, from glancing through, seems like i5 users are having some issues? This wouldn't be the first that the i5 couldn't muscle through. Maybe we're finally seeing i5's reached their endgame.

Wrong on both accounts, (there is even a post above that shows someone playing the game on high with a i5 and 750 Ti).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's certainly true. All the more reason for someone else to step up and make it!

I would have probably locked this sooner or done what you did just now but at an earlier point in this thread seeing the TC didn't do anything like even the Skyrim or other notable PC release performance threads. Definitely need someone who will care more about keeping those with the game up to date via the OP.

Nitsuj23

Asked this in the OT but it's moving fast so I'll ask here too -

Is it possible to purchase a code I can activate on Steam via Amazon for this game? I know I have in the past for games like South Park, but the Amazon Watch Dogs page seems to specifically mention uPlay.I have $68 in gift cards left on Amazon so I'd prefer to purchase there. If I can't get the Steam version though might as well just save that money for something else.

sk3tch

Asked this in the OT but it's moving fast so I'll ask here too -

Is it possible to purchase a code I can activate on Steam via Amazon for this game? I know I have in the past for games like South Park, but the Amazon Watch Dogs page seems to specifically mention uPlay.I have $68 in gift cards left on Amazon so I'd prefer to purchase there. If I can't get the Steam version though might as well just save that money for something else.

It's not a steamworks game - so the only way to get it on steam is via steam.

Test 1:
test1yluv0.png

Test 2:
test2bqu25.png

Test 3:
test3a1ua8.png

Test 4:
test4aduea.png

Bench:

cpud0sdl.png
gpu2h4s17.gif

8GB DDR3

Not bad at all for a 750ti.

I'll be playing this on a i5-3570K & 680 SLI (MSI, 2GB). 16GB RAM.

I'm beginning to regret not buying a GPU with more memory. I play at 1080, but I feel more games are requiring greater GPU memory.

I'm reading about some disappointments with the "early" copy, in terms of performance...but with most AAA games nowadays, I'm sure there'll be a massive day one patch. Just to confirm, 335.23 is the latest non-beta driver out? (For 600 series cards).

same setup here

honestly the v-ram boom came out of nowhere

I'm having such fantastic performance despite the issue that its been hard to feel pushed to get a new card though

hawk2025

Still haven't received my key from UPlay.

I plugged in the Nvidia key into Uplay, and the confirmation email said I would receive yet another key to actually pair the game to my Uplay account.

What gives? Are they rolling them out slowly?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's certainly true. All the more reason for someone else to step up and make it!

I'll put together an OP now and post the thread if someone else hasn't beaten me to the punch (about 10-15 minutes, but I'm currently babysitting my phone while on hold so it may be a little longer).

Edit: Oh, Visceral's already on it.

Aeana

I'll put together an OP now and post the thread if someone else hasn't beaten me to the punch (about 10-15 minutes, but I'm currently babysitting my phone while on hold so it may be a little longer).

VisceralBowl volunteered a few posts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom