• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Interstellar has really reignited my No Man's Sky hype!

legacyzero

Banned
The most hyped I've been for a game in a looooong time. REALLY hope this turns out something special.

Also, the few of you that jumped in this thread trying to rain on parades: just stop. "This is going to disappoint so many people, BLA BLA." You have no more grounds to to make a statement like that than the folks that are unreasonably hyped for it do. Not everybody defaults to cynicism and negativity when they wanna be excited for something.

WE HAVE LITERALLY SEEN MERE MINUTES OF AN ALPHA BUILD.

And even worse is, Hello Games seems very genuine. They're a newer developer that's taking a crack at something that could be genre defining, and we should be encouraging them in those efforts, not feeding them the same old unfounded gamer negativity.

I have a feeling a lot of answers are coming this weekend.

And yeah OP, I was thinkin NMS possibilities the entire 3 hours of interstellar lol
I made those connections, too. Now do yourself a favor and watch Cosmos. It's on Netflix.
YES.

All kinds of different planets? There are..two in Interstellar. Which aren't really explored either.

I wish it would have been remotely similar as No Mans Sky.

Just watched an Elite: Dangerous video where a guy randomly came across Alpha Centauri and then made his way to Earth/our solar system. He is also an astronomy student, so he occasionally drops little bits of knowledge in his vids, as well.

Between Elite, Star Citizen, and NMS, we're pretty much set on space exploration games.

EDIT: Haha, awesome--he headed to Mars and noted it's not red anymore! In the Elite universe, it's been terraformed :D Although he does note it looks like it has an unrealistic amount of water.

I'm going to watch it on my own tomorrow morning. My first ever true IMAX experience at the biggest screen in the UK. Can't fucking wait.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just watched an Elite: Dangerous video where a guy randomly came across Alpha Centauri and then made his way to Earth/our solar system. He is also an astronomy student, so he occasionally drops little bits of knowledge in his vids, as well.

Between Elite, Star Citizen, and NMS, we're pretty much set on space exploration games.

EDIT: Haha, awesome--he headed to Mars and noted it's not red anymore! In the Elite universe, it's been terraformed :D Although he does note it looks like it has an unrealistic amount of water.

What's really great about Elite is that they used actual NASA star charts to fill all the 160k systems we've managed to map out. So I can literally look at NASA astrological data, find a system with something that sounds cool and fly there in Elite and actually see it.

It's really something else guys.

PSOreo

tumblr_nenxflc6LY1s6pzz9o1_500.gif

Hopefully more information about this game comes out soon. Didnt someone say they'd be at the PlayStation event this month?

What's really great about Elite is that they used actual NASA star charts to fill all the 160k systems we've managed to map out. So I can literally look at NASA astrological data, find a system with something that sounds cool and fly there in Elite and actually see it.

It's really something else guys.

o_O

kinda lame that IO looked like just a dead gray nothing world :(

Yeah, and Manley notes that it's off, but this is still the Beta (or Gamma, rather), so it's possible IO is not modeled completely yet.

He also mentions Interstellar in this vid, as he passed by Saturn and talks about black holes.

Ok thats true, but we still dont know how it all fit together, it could be incredible repetitive or boring, we havent seen any gameplay so...

Exactly. If it works it could be amazing. The more likely scenario with randomly generated planets and a small team, is that it will be boring though.

People are talking about "getting in random adventures" On what? Randomly generated empty planets with rocks and trees of different shapes.

Love the concept and hope it turns out good but I am not seeing it. I will be the 1st to happily admit it if I am wrong. Bookmark this thread, throw internet stones at me, and spit in my face if I am wrong after it comes out.

This will likely seem more empty and pointless than a giant Assassin's Creed world in which you can't interact with anything....except it will be randomly generated.

Chev

He's not an astronomy student but an actual astophysicist.

People are talking about "getting in random adventures" On what? Randomly generated empty planets with rocks and trees of different shapes.
Dwarf fortress is randomly generated, so is Minecraft, so are most roguelikes, and plenty of interesting things happen in them. That the planets are empty and boring is solely your assumption.

This is one of the games that will make me buy a ps4. I didnt think about it during Interstellar though...

I'll watch Cosmos too but can anyone recommend other good space movies? I've seen 2001, gravity, probably others but i cant remember right now. Please PM me if you feel thats off topic

Tygamr

I'm excited for No Man's Sky, but I don't think it can compare to Interstellar. Speaking of which, I wish there was more games with the scope and writing of it. The closest thing I can really think of is The Last of Us.

shwimpy

This is one of the games that will make me buy a ps4. I didnt think about it during Interstellar though...

I'll watch Cosmos too but can anyone recommend other good space movies? I've seen 2001, gravity, probably others but i cant remember right now. Please PM me if you feel thats off topic
It's definitely not for everyone but Contact is one my favorites.

And on topic, yes, I too am SUPER excited for NMS. I hope the Morpheus dream is real.

Shredderi

JUST came back from the theater and I really liked the movie and kept thinking how great of an idea it would be for a videogame. No man's sky will do for now ;)

It's definitely not for everyone but Contact is one my favorites.

And on topic, yes, I too am SUPER excited for NMS. I hope the Morpheus dream is real.

thanks ! Just watched the trailer and I'll watch the movie soon. Starring M. Mc Conaughey too!

E92 M3

It won't be possible. It will be necessary.

Haha cute!

I am buying a PS4 for it.

braves01

Banned
I'm extremely skeptical of NMS. I feel like there will be a billion planets that are all boring and repetitive. Give me a couple well-designed planets over a galaxy of randomly generated crap.

I'm extremely skeptical of NMS. I feel like there will be a billion planets that are all boring and repetitive. Give me a couple well-designed planets over a galaxy of randomly generated crap.

90% of the galaxy is pretty boring. Barren planets, empty space. It's the 10% that matter, and they matter because they're so rare.

You can't have excitement without a modulation in intensity. If everything is dialed up to 11 all the time, you go tonedeaf and they all start sounding like a 1.

It sounds like the vibe NMS is going for ain't quite your thang, but for me, I can't wait. I've spent way more time in Space Engine, Celestia and Noctis, than I'd care to admit.

No Man's Sky is the sequel to Noctis I've always wanted.

E92 M3

90% of the galaxy is pretty boring. Barren planets, empty space. It's the 10% that matter, and they matter because they're so rare.

You can't have excitement without a modulation in intensity. If everything is dialed up to 11 all the time, you go tonedeaf and they all start sounding like a 1.

It sounds like the vibe NMS is going for ain't quite your thang, but for me, I can't wait. I've spent way more time in Space Engine, Celestia and Noctis, than I'd care to admit.

No Man's Sky is the sequel to Noctis I've always wanted.

Yes, it's a game designed around exploration which I think is an underutilized theme in video games.

Yes, it's a game designed around exploration which I think is an underutilized theme in video games.

Heck, your options right now are literally still Noctis or Minecraft if you want to explore a procedurally generated space just for the sake of exploration.

E92 M3

Heck, your options right now are literally still Noctis or Minecraft if you want to explore a procedurally generated space just for the sake of exploration.

Unfortunately, I will try Noctis. Love the exploration in Minecraft and I imagine NMS will make it that much better.

I jumped ahead and am now playing Elite:Dangerous on PC.. with the Oculus Rift and it literally feels like I'm in space.. so freaking immersive!

braves01

Banned

I don't care for Minecraft at all, so you're probably right. It's just not my thing.

Nameless

Woah. When trying to decide on a next-gen console and ultimately picking up a PS4 this past weekend, I had no clue this game existed---pretty incredible given how NMS sounds as if it was designed specifically with my sensibilities in mind. I've always wanted a game like this. Even if the vision ends up not being realized, I'll be grateful the attempt was made.

Fuck yeah post-purchase validation!

Here's hoping NMS has intense moments for certain maneuvers/managing your ship (like in FTL). Those were great in Interstellar, and I'd love to have a game provide those moments, coupled with the open galaxy stuff NMS has.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Holy shit, in Elite Dangerous, someone made it to Sagittarius A* (the supermassive black hole at the center of the milky way) over 29,000 light years from Sol.

So. Fucking. Rad.

Yeah, i really hope No Man's Sky can dig up some really devastating and pointless paradoxes. That will improve my enjoyment more than uninhibited space travel and exploration.

Bonus points if it can kill another one of my favorite poems from college.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man this game looks dead boring. I just dont see what the fuzz is all about. Saw some gameplay videos, but definitely not my type.

JNA

Banned
Its being made by a small team. How is it going to be the game everyone thinks it will be is beyond me.

People continue to make this argument yet there were God knows how many people that made Destiny and look how much less of that world that turned out to be.

Minecraft was made by one freaking person. The amount of people working on a game is not really a great indicator on a games quality.

Snakeyes

Maybe it's the art style, but there are games that feel much more Interstellar-like than No Man's Sky to me.

For the semi-realistic space exploration: Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

For a human colony settling down on another habitable planet: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

sugarless

Defintely got hyped for space stuff again after Interstellar, and also I randomly got into Minecraft recently after previously not getting into it at all, so when I think of No Man's Sky as Minecraft in space I can see it become a complete time-sink obsession. But only if the music is as good as Minecraft!

Plus, I realised that next-gen video sharing is perfect for this kind of game where something emergent and procedural will happen out of the blue, and you really want to share it with the world. Maybe 10% of the planets I find personally will be rare treats, but YouTube is gonna be a stream of other people's rare treats for me to enjoy.

However as I'm not a PC gamer I won't be playing Elite: Dangerous, although even if I was it looks like something different to NMS that doesn't really overlap in appeal for me. I just want to explore and I don't need all the detail and data that E:D seems to provide. For those who enjoy that, more power to you and enjoy it! The fact that we have two unfathomably large galaxies to choose to explore is a great thing.

E92 M3

Man this game looks dead boring. I just dont see what the fuzz is all about. Saw some gameplay videos, but definitely not my type.

It's not for everyone, but the game allows so massive exploration.

The game part has me worried.

I still have no idea what you actually do moment to moment.

Discover new worlds, upgrade ships, find materials, among other smaller objectives. I'm thinking of it as Minecraft in space as someone said earlier.

The game part has me worried.

I still have no idea what you actually do moment to moment.

Yeah. I dont get why the hype is that big. I mean besides some randomly generated planets and walking around on them without any purpose and flying in the universe, I havent really seen any "gameplay" yet.

We haven't seen more in depth gameplay, but we have plenty of info in what the game will be like... For those who actually follow the game at least.

Top Bottom