• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 |OT| $39.99 @ PSN for Megamelons

The combat isn't incredibly deep, but it's still quite fun. There's a number of styles to unlock, most of which have some cool moves to obtain and use with your own created style. It can get fairly repetitive, though, if you're not a fan of the whole Samurai genre.

Tizoc

Hmm for some reason I get a 'Yakuza' vibe from what I've seen of the game; if I like the Yakuza games would I like this just as much?

Emitan

Hmm for some reason I get a 'Yakuza' vibe from what I've seen of the game; if I like the Yakuza games would I like this just as much?

I guess it's kind of like Yakuza. But more open ended. I like Yakuza 4 and loved WotS1 (sadly haven't played a lot of this to judge it yet) so take that how you will.

IrishNinja

So overall how's the game? I may buy it 2morrow (EU disc ver.)

aw man, if i find a deal on that might go that way...was debating PSN one but does anyone have any import links?

I guess it's kind of like Yakuza. But more open ended. I like Yakuza 4 and loved WotS1 (sadly haven't played a lot of this to judge it yet) so take that how you will.

those are 2 of my favorites from their respective gens, so that's good to hear!

Tizoc

That's good enough for me thanks!
Also just saw the launch trailer, awesome stuff!

Well, unlike Yakuza, there's no loading when getting into fights, and you can kill whoever you want. Well, apart from major NPCs, sadly. Bit of a step back from 3 in that regard. There, you could kill important NPCs during normal gameplay, which would effect which paths you could take. Here, they just run away like little bitches.

Emitan

Well, unlike Yakuza, there's no loading when getting into fights, and you can kill whoever you want. Well, apart from major NPCs, sadly. Bit of a step back from 3 in that regard. There, you could kill important NPCs during normal gameplay, which would effect which paths you could take. Here, they just run away like little bitches.

Fixed in Yakuza 5~

Tizoc

OK so...I failed in protecting the ViP...
I recently got into a battle against Prajna warriors and afterwards Akagi and Koguro showed up. What should I do in this battle? Akagi and Koguro recover their health after I damage them enough @_@.
Also can you uh
get in a relationship with Megamelons?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've been browsing PSN today looking for a new game, came across WOTS4, and you guys intrigued me...it sounds a lot like SteamBot Chronicles for the PS2, another awkward yet charming open-sandbox game.

So, well, I'm downloading it now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also, what's up with the "rape mini-game" I've seen mentioned?

Is it really as bad as it claims? Honestly I just read about that and it kinda put me off...but I assume it's optional?

Nightcrawling? It's not a rape minigame, but rather a stupid minigame where you sweet talk women (or men), then sneak into their houses at night for some midnight lovin'. Completely optional, it's just there to unlock some trophies and customization options. And appease the creepier fans, I guess.

Audioboxer

About to start playing this tonight, never played a WotS game before. Jank doesn't bother me, I'm simply looking for a fun and unique experience.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I have the whole series on disk, which means I eschewed the PSN NA release and imported the UK disk version.

I sure hope the next generation doesn't add region-lock back in....

Audioboxer

This games pretty bonkers, but I love it! Sorely missing quirky games like this this generation.

Production values can easily be overlooked.

I took some advice from this topic - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/611500-way-of-the-samurai-4/65683199

Got a sword from Dojima, but I got my ass handed to me soon after on Normal. Going to start on Easy tonight, I didn't have much time to play last night.

How do I get better armour btw? Just keep playing? Still have that floral 'dress' lol. Also are there any negatives to using 'Retry' when you die vs starting a new game?

Audioboxer

Just want to chime in and say this game is awesome! A great PS2 era experience (not necessarily a bad thing), with an HD facelift.

The only thing I find frustrating is there are some moments where you can dickishly pull out your sword, but they just amount to people running away. Full freedom of massacre would've been nice :p

fek

This game was really fun. It was my first experience in the series and now I'm very interested in getting wots 3.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Only ever played 3 and it had a ton of amazing ideas, but the combat wasn't satisfying (you could just mash to victory) and the missions often lead to me doing the same thing over and over for hours. I eventually stopped playing because of how repetitive it got.

I don't suppose they fixed those two issues, huh?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I still really want this, but it needs another price drop before I jump on it. The fact is that the US version is still the most expensive English version of the game out there. Both the UK PSN and UK disc version are cheaper.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone have some suggestions on good fighting styles to try leveling up?

2. After beating the game and you can use points to buy stuff, if you buy the Hard difficulty, does that automatically make that run through "Hard", or are you just buying an unlockable option that you can then switch on or off?

3. Also about those points, can you not buy stuff and save them between run throughs?

Top Bottom